Chatterbox LXXX - Quibilah

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Re: Chatterbox LXXX - Quibilah

Postby cyprusmoira » February 11th, 2018, 7:13 am

Good Morning Wild Ones, murky here, more desert dust has blown in.
I was leafing through Delia's Winter Collection, published 1995, Delia was never avant garde but I noticed recipes for roasted cauliflower and Japanese style pickled cucumber.
Just heard the UK weather forecast, thundersnow :o :o :o

Moira :mug:
When life gives you lemons, make sorbet
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » February 11th, 2018, 7:39 am

Morning all!

Thunderstorm? Interesting! Never heard of it! Sounds horrible! It's dry here but bitter and the sky is bright white! Mum should be over later. It's her birthday today so we may pop out for lunch and a few crosswords. Other than that, and returning the key to neighbour as kitten duties are now over, for this weekend anyway, nothing much planned!
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby icelesley » February 11th, 2018, 8:15 am

Good morning wild ones. We have a storm blowing in, not sure it's snow though, looks more like heavy rain and very windy. Not a lot to do today, so a lazy Sunday is on the cards ;)
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway. Image ImageImage
icelesley
Registered

Postby suffolk » February 11th, 2018, 8:21 am

Good morning all :D I shall have to wake my coffee slave ....
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby liketocook » February 11th, 2018, 8:47 am

Good morning everyone,

Brrr it's cold here this morning, snow is forecast and there are lots of purple clouds gathering so round about will get some even we don't.

Definitely a day for the pea and ham soup I'm going to make once I've finished my :mug: and got myself organised. :)
liketocook
Registered

Postby suffolk » February 11th, 2018, 9:06 am

First :mug: drunk. Second on it's way.
A Point of View is consistently the best piece of broadcasting each week. If I was in charge I would make parliament sit quietly and listen to it before they start sitting every day. I just love AL Kennedy :kneel:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » February 11th, 2018, 10:12 am

Morning everyone :wave:

Pepper Pig, I expect you know about today's Dessert Island Discs, the lady , Chi-chi Nwanoku has just been on broadcasting House playing her double bass wonderfully

Lovely morning here and we are looking forward to having lunch with some French friends. We are going to be eating out a lot this week - but someone has to do it :lol: :lol: :hungry:

We watched The White Countess last night. I didn't think I would enjoy it but with that cast I couldn't help myself!
Je pense, donc je suis. - Decartes
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby liketocook » February 11th, 2018, 10:42 am

It's snowing here and very windy...... :(
liketocook
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » February 11th, 2018, 10:43 am

I didn't know she was on Rats. Thanks for the heads-up. She grew up and learnt the double bass in Slough, taught by Tony Osborne a chum of mine. She took over my gig at Theatre Royal Windsor when I stopped because of having too many children. :oops:
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » February 11th, 2018, 11:33 am

Amber wrote:
PatsyMFagan wrote:
Amber wrote:Did anyone else watch The Real Peak Practice?

When and where was this on Amber ? I usually spot these kind of programmes, but not much on last night until Requiem. ;) :tu:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b09r88tb
Most BBC1 regions Friday, 1930, I think...

Ah ... it's local programme, not on in the London Area ... we get the One Show ...
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » February 11th, 2018, 12:20 pm

Off out with mum for a skinny mocha and a crossword or two. My sister and littlest nephew made her a birthday cake which looks good from the photo she sent. Hoping she brings a lump with her! :grin:
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby icelesley » February 11th, 2018, 12:48 pm

We have had wet snow all morning, then just now a massive snow downpour :o Now the sun is out :rolleyes:
icelesley
Registered

Postby Sloe-Gin » February 11th, 2018, 12:54 pm

Visitors now departed (hub's sister and hub) and we are relaxing before heading out with the dogs. I think we'll have to dodge the sleet showers.

My lasagne with the yogurt topping had rave reviews and we have enough left to reheat tonight, along with good slab of lemon meringue pie that SiL made.

Tezza, enjoy the bus pass, but isn't it such a shame you were not offered it 'up front'.
Eat, drink and be merry
Sloe-Gin
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » February 11th, 2018, 5:11 pm

Back from a lovely, not for Mr R, lunch. It was salmon! Still wine and conversation were good.

Best news of all though was that i got back to follow my beloved football team beat Man U. !

See you all tomorrow :wave:
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby StokeySue » February 11th, 2018, 6:20 pm

Been in an around Westminster today, cold, windy, but mostly brilliantly sunny and no precipitation

Visited the Jewel Tower which is the oldest part of the Palace of Westminster in original condition.

Come back here, about 4 miles, apparently heavy hail, and I had a brief power cut when I got in, worrying in this weather, but everything came back on before sunset.
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby WWordsworth » February 11th, 2018, 7:04 pm

Anyone else listen to Cerys Matthews on Radio 6 on Sundays mornings?
It's a great mix of music, poetry and other stuff.
I'm not keen on her singing voice but I like to hear her speak.

Today there was an excerpt from Richard Burton's Under Milk Wood.
It always reminds me of our first (tiny) house which we bought in 1987.
We were shift workers then. J was at work and I was painting the sitting room.
It was on Radio 4, in it's entirety.
WWordsworth
Registered

Postby suffolk » February 11th, 2018, 7:08 pm

Love Under Milk Wood :luv: ......... I have a recording of the original broadcast but it's on cassette :rolleyes:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby WWordsworth » February 11th, 2018, 7:16 pm

I still have a cassette player :lol:
WWordsworth
Registered

Postby Grasshopper » February 11th, 2018, 8:02 pm

WWordsworth wrote:I still have a cassette player :lol:

Me too.
Ellow! :wave:

:bounce:
Grasshopper
Spring ventures forth to plant the grain
And Summer dries the straw
Autumn gathers in the harvest
And Winter shuts the door

Grasshopper
Registered

Postby StokeySue » February 11th, 2018, 8:07 pm

I quite often listen to Cerys, but was out to day. I do like her rather odd singing voice too
Did Under Milk Wood as a Youth Theatre production in erm, 1970 :o knew it almost by heart
Love the Richard Burton version but also liked the version that was on Channel 4 some time ago, with an all star cast (not counting Katherine Jenkins, a poor choice for Polly Garter; Charlotte Church would have been so much more suitable)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3769244/fullcredits?ref_=tt_ov_st_sm
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » February 11th, 2018, 11:49 pm

Had a lovely day today. I heard from sister that littlest nephew had helped bake and decorate a cake for my mum's birthday first thing, then when my mum was getting ready to come and see me, he wanted to come too, then last minute he wanted to stay at home with his mum! So my mum came over and picked me up, then on the way for our coffee, a message from sister that they were on their way to join us, which meant that a quiet coffee with my mum turned into me being wrapped around nephew's little finger and the other adults enjoying coffee and crosswords in peace! Me and nephew did the usual. Collected the shopping trolley first, which he wanted to push until he almost ploughed into the flower display at which point I took over. This was just inside the doorway so nowhere near ready to be in control of wheels in public just yet. He wanted a look at the fish counter, me naming the various fish for him for the umpteenth time. He'd remembered a lot of them. Then he wanted a wee. Then he wanted to see his mum, so up in the lift we went back to the cafe. Next, to the toy aisle to the shouts of 'you can't catch me!' I attempted a hobbly run. Then he wanted me to perform the Morrison's 'Way Down' advert with him in the sweets aisle, which we did. We chased each other round the seating area in the clothes department briefly a-la musical chairs. Good job this was at almost 4pm so hardly any customers around! Oh to be a four year old again!

I should be totally cream crackered really, but I am trying to breathe through a smog of cigarette smoke puffing up from the flat below. The only way to get rid of it is to have all my windows open (brrrr) so, this will be reported tomorrow at the same time as reporting that my oven is not working again!

And a leggy spider just crawled across the front of my glasses!

Ah, happy days! :lol:
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » February 12th, 2018, 6:13 am

Good Morning Wild Ones, a JCB is very busy in the road above us, it seems to be digging. I shall be forced to return via that route on my way back from the supermarket.

Very overcast but no rain forecast, most unusual for us

cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby suffolk » February 12th, 2018, 7:15 am

Good morning all :D :mug:
Will you be able to get past the digger Moira? Don't fall down a hole :shock:
Sounds like a fun day Tezza :D :tu:
There's a sharp frost out there brrrrr!
Coffee is on its way ....
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » February 12th, 2018, 7:27 am

A thick frost on the cars and a serious nip in the air. Avocado on toast for me this morning seeing as the toaster works! Then this non emergency GP appointment for goodness knows what reason that was cancelled last week. I forgot it was half term, so at least I won't have to battle through an army of push chairs on my way to the surgery. :tu:
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby icelesley » February 12th, 2018, 8:11 am

Good morning wild ones. When I went to bed last night, we had a snow blizzard hit us. :o This morning everywhere is white and frozen. I am so glad I have finished work on days like this. :D
icelesley
Registered

Postby StokeySue » February 12th, 2018, 9:29 am

Good morning
Cold and sunny here again, must get out in it before it breaks
Have a goid day
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » February 12th, 2018, 9:37 am

Morning everyone :wave:
Beautiful morning and the first load of washing is blowing in the breeze which I hope will stay just that and not turn into a full-blown Mistral,

Sounds as if you had your week's worth of exercise yesterday Tezza.

Stay warm everyone. Of course the weather is not too kind, it's half term in the UK isn't it? It was ever thus when we were teaching.
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » February 12th, 2018, 9:42 am

Back from the supermarket, Agrelia (wild asparagus) is in the shop so the cultivated variety will probably be here in a couple of weeks time. I did buy a fresh garlic loaf, the cheese topping was molten, as usual these loaves did not make the shelf, they are snapped up by those in the know.
What I did find was four different brands of tonic water, not including Schweppes

Moira
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby liketocook » February 12th, 2018, 11:45 am

Good morning everyone,
It was snowing quite heavily when I went to bed but no sign of it this morning though it's still bitterly cold and very slippy underfoot. I'm psyching myself up to go and take a gas meter reading for my new utilities provider will finish a :mug: first though.

I've popped the makings of a beef stew in the slowcooker and plan to make blue cheese dumplings to have with it this evening. :) I'm not planning on venturing out so will catch up on some admin while listening to the radio this afternoon.
liketocook
Registered

Postby suffolk » February 12th, 2018, 12:54 pm

I've done some admin this morning and have a pot of broccoli soup simmering for lunch ... just a few more minutes and then a whiz with the whizzer and a dollop of creme fraiche :D
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » February 12th, 2018, 1:47 pm

Hello! Been on nightshift for the past couple of nights so just surfacing. Looks a lovely day out there.

Moira - I'm drooling at the description of your garlic loaf :chops: .

I would like to loll on the sofa watching rubbish TV this afternoon but I have GD tomorrow, DD is arriving late tomorrow and staying the night and DS gets back from India tonight and will turn up tomorrow as well so I need to blitz the house and go shopping. That should keep me busy for the rest of the day!
It sounds as though India has been a real experience (not just the hockey tournament) and that they are all looking forward to coming home now.

Not sure what I'll eat later, we had a Chinese takeaway last night in honour of my forthcoming birthday. I shall have something light to compensate today.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » February 12th, 2018, 2:55 pm

Sounds like our afternoon yesterday EM....

Awake with the lark today, nice sunny one, so tricity will be made :tu: I have been to town for coal and fizzy water, coal to line the chimney when I sweep it in a couple of weeks time. Fizzy water is getting me through dry Feb. :tu: Picked up 2 reduced beef wellingtons for Valentines for £6 and a tub of sprouting broccoli, asparagus, I will add some courgette, might sling some oven chips in the oven to go with it. So that's supper on the 14th sorted.

I also picked up a RTC sirloin steak and some turkey thigh mince. Will probably make some meatballs with dill, mint and spring onion & a yogurt sauce. Steak we will have another day.

Dumper truck is arriving this avo and cement lorry will be here between 8 and 9 tomorrow. I am hopeful that I can catch the witch's husband and get them to move their vehicles if they need to go out before the cement lorry arrives. Otherwise they will be blocked in for about half an hour. She will not take kindly to that. :evil:
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby StokeySue » February 12th, 2018, 3:15 pm

Good afternoon
Had a lovely walk along the River Lea to Tottenham Hale, where I bought a small red shoulder bag, just what I wanted. As only my coats and jeans seem to have pockets, I like a small bag for certain kinds of travelling, and popping out with minimumu gear (phone, bus pass, purse, keys, handkerchief) Have a lovely yellow one but it is showing signs of mortality

Sun is giving up but it has been glorious

Have a good afternoon
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » February 12th, 2018, 4:33 pm

An interesting day here. A trip to the post office then on to my surgery for my mystery non emergency appointment. It really was nothing to worry about. I picked his brains on further physio and exercise for my shoulder. Good job I asked as he is going to refer me for prescribed classes of some sort, possibly swimming if my local centre can accommodate. :bounce: Came home, checked oven, working! So I took advantage and cooked some frozen things! Then started to feel chilly, checked radiators, stone cold and no hot water! So sitting here dressed like a Yeti waiting for the odd job man to turn up! Hope it's soon. Freezing my wotsits off here! At least I have cooked some food! :tu:
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby suffolk » February 12th, 2018, 5:10 pm

A day of swings and roundabouts Tezza ;) :hug:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Sloe-Gin » February 12th, 2018, 5:57 pm

I's been an admin day here too, amid dog walks.
Planning has started to take the van back to our pitch on Anglesey; the sofa cushions were cleaned last week, now I need to take the carpets in to shampoo. I have a list of things to replenish, but a goal in mind for early March.
Eat, drink and be merry
Sloe-Gin
Registered

Postby scullion » February 12th, 2018, 6:26 pm

i thought of you, sloe gin, on our walk on the beach, just now. someone was down with four, very boisterous springers.
scullion
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » February 12th, 2018, 6:38 pm

I think the clue is in the name.... Zebedee comes to mind !
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » February 12th, 2018, 7:33 pm

One of the last boxes was tackled this afternoon. It contained all the programmes from way way back to the most recent. I got very very emmotional when I discovered the programme from Beyond the Fringe at the Fortune theatre from 1962. I had queued since the early hours to get standing tickets and got them - they were like gold dust. I met Mr R who came in from his uni at lunch time and we went to Petticoat Lane market. I used to help a very dear college friend there most weeks. She helped us find our engagement ring and beat the seller down to a price he could afford (not very much). We then went on to the theatre and nearly laughed oursleves stupid.That really was a day to remember but i honestly didn't know we still had that programme.

I should have left the discovered until Wednesday perhaps :luv: :luv:
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » February 12th, 2018, 8:50 pm

Heating fixed, hot water fixed, oven finally being fixed tomorrow. So I am going to snuggle down in the warm with John Simm and that will be me done for the day! :grin:
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby scullion » February 12th, 2018, 9:49 pm

Zosherooney wrote:I think the clue is in the name...

except the name is due to the job they do rather than them being bouncy. i have seen some very sedate springers
scullion
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » February 13th, 2018, 6:20 am

Good Morning Wild Ones, gloomy here again, there is some blue sky over in the west. I wonder if it will get here?
Off to LIDL later, they have got items such as preserved artichokes in stock for the pre Lent feasts, I must stock up. It makes me spit when I see the TV ads promoting items that they sell in the UK, they never get here.

cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » February 13th, 2018, 6:59 am

Morning Moira, Blowing a Hooley and raining here.... We are meant to be pouring cement here around 9 ish......It is meant to be drying up around lunch time. I have a couple of meals to prepare so a good day to be inside.

It's Greek week in Lidls next week, I picked up a brochure yesterday whilst there, I must see what happened to it ?
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby jrc » February 13th, 2018, 7:19 am

Morning all :hug:

Busy few days. We have some builders here for the next few days tweaking some of the things we had done prior to moving. Just silly little things that have come to light recently but we would like them done. It will be interesting with moo as because of the potential of doors being opened by builders she will be tethered to me all day on her lead. :shock:

Leftover roast pork, mash and pickles for tea :drool: but in the meantime it will be bacon rolls and chocolate cake for the guys during the day. :D

I spoke to a colleague on Sunday. She said if they have builders / workmen in they are lucky to get a cup of tea and a biscuit. :?

Some of the work is external in very cold conditions, so it is the least I can do to try and keep them warm. What do you lot do? :hug:
jrc
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » February 13th, 2018, 7:38 am

Morning all! :wave: . Looks as though it was quite a good day for Wildies yesterday. What a lovely find Rats!! :luv: :luv:

I can't say I make too much of an effort to keep builders warm :oops: :oops: :oops: :? . In the refreshment stakes I offer warm drinks and decent biscuits as often as required but not meals. I only have lunch or anything quite surreptitiously or I would feel obliged to offer a sandwich. I do find that they usually bring their own food and that these days younger men often refuse biscuits because they are interested in healthy diets and physique.

Looks bleak out there. I had a really good clean up of the house yesterday but didn't go shopping. I've got up bright and early for that pleasure and am trying to decide which supermarket will be best to avoid rush hour traffic. I think it may be Morrisons. Looking forward to seeing DS, DD and GD at various times today and making pancakes with GD.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby suffolk » February 13th, 2018, 7:39 am

Good morning all :D :mug:
A beautiful rosy dawn this morning 8-)
Builders here always get hot drinks and Hobnobs ... if we're having bacon rolls or homemade soup for lunch they have the option of having some too. If I'm doing some baking they get some tasters and usually tea and cake or scones in the afternoon ... but we've had the same team of builders for years ... they're almost like family.
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby icelesley » February 13th, 2018, 7:48 am

Good morning wild ones. It's very windy here and yes it's raining :rolleyes:
icelesley
Registered

Postby Busybee » February 13th, 2018, 8:02 am

We have had builders in for almost four months, they have been given a steady supply of hot drinks throughout the day, usually every two hours. I didn’t offer biscuits because as a slimming world house we don’t have them in! :lol: :lol:

We are out in the sticks but they always arrived complete with flasks, lunch boxes and papers - in other worlds completely equipped for the day.

BB
Busybee
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » February 13th, 2018, 8:39 am

Morning all

Dry but very windy out there. My Lidl walk should be fun. I am going to take my window bird feeder to the charity shop next door. Other than that, no plans apart from let our odd job man in to fit a new oven wall socket.
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby jrc » February 13th, 2018, 8:58 am

Just had to tranquillise the dog. :cry:
jrc
Registered

PreviousNext

Return to The Coffee Shop