Chatterbox LXXX - Quibilah

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Re: Chatterbox LXXX - Quibilah

Postby cyprusmoira » March 11th, 2018, 7:21 am

Good Morning Wild Ones. I Have just realised that we have not got anything for lunch, a quick visit to the supermarket when I go down for the papers is called for.

Moira
When life gives you lemons, make sorbet
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby icelesley » March 11th, 2018, 8:04 am

Good morning wild ones. There is no rain, snow or fog today.....yet :rolleyes: JRC that doesn't sound good, how long before it s smells :scared:
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway. Image ImageImage
icelesley
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » March 11th, 2018, 8:50 am

Morning all!

No rain or snow or sun or wind here at the moment, just grey, and I was woken to the sound of workmen doing some work on the front drive of the house on the opposite side of the road. It all sounds very industrious! Much scraping of shovel on cement and paving slabs, a cement mixer going round. Lovely that they are taking advantage of the dry and mild weather to get a job done.

I think I have picked up a bit of a cold from the woman swimming next to me yesterday who kept sneezing into the water, also the swim instructor on my other side who was doing the same. I have a streaming right nose hole, currently fit with a tissue bung to stop the flow. Nice. Good job I'm single! Who'd put up with it? :lol:

Happy Mogher's day all you mum's out there. I'll be seeing mine lunchtime to give her a card and pressie.

Have a lovely Sunday all!
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » March 11th, 2018, 9:19 am

We have just been laughing our socks off at this..... I think Jay Rayner is going to make a very good stand up comedian when he grows up!

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyl ... ant-review :lol: :lol:
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » March 11th, 2018, 10:14 am

Brilliant .... we did well with our (mainly veggie) meal yesterday then ;) :tu:
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » March 11th, 2018, 10:17 am

Loved the piece by Jay Rayner :D
In case anyone was worried, we do have enough for lunch today, it will be Tuna & Bean Salad.

Moira
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby jrc » March 11th, 2018, 10:58 am

3992E432-676D-45E3-8BC5-ADAB7A7D6D88.jpeg

I am very lucky. We had some gift vouchers plus money given for Christmas :D
jrc
Registered

Postby suffolk » March 11th, 2018, 10:59 am

I adore Jay Rayner :luv: his delight the other night on MC when he saw that S&K pie was positively visceral and I knew it would be :tu:

As for the link above ........ speaking as a Farmer's Daughter ...... excuse my language but WTF!!! :shock: :shock: :shock: :twisted:

Sorry, I'm speechless ... I hope they close down tomorrow ... nevertheless the place obviously has one positive point ... giving JR the opportunity for yet another superb piece of writing :kneel: :luv: :kneel: :luv: :kneel: :luv:
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby suffolk » March 11th, 2018, 11:00 am

Glad to hear you're not going to starve Moira ... although TBH I didn't think you would ;)

Let us know how you get on with it JRC :D
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Chinchilla_lady » March 11th, 2018, 11:02 am

Morning All

Lovely article, wont be going there anytime soon. :lol: :lol:

Addicted to White Cats
Chinchilla_lady
Registered

Postby jrc » March 11th, 2018, 11:09 am

I have been looking round for a while. I couldn’t get hold of an IP anywhere and the Pressue King ones have an aluminium insert which I would have preferred to avoid.

I’m getting quite excited. :D
jrc
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » March 11th, 2018, 11:44 am

Morning all! :wave:

Ooooh jrc - you've got one! I hope you have fun with it. Hope your leg is behaving too, it does seem odd advice re the dressing! :sprout:

Love the Jay Rayner piece, funny even though it made me very cross. That kind of diet can be so good and interesting but places like that just put people off being more adventurous.

I've always thought it would be nice to have one's own indoor swimming pool (and someone to look after it). I might swim more if I had one, how lovely to roll out of bed in the morning and go for a dip - Tezza's remarks remind me of some of the reasons I hate municipal baths (actually, it's the changing rooms I hate most). PP is the one who deserves a medal, getting up at an unsociable time even in cold weather and braving the changing rooms .. every day!

Happy Mothering Sunday to those participating. I really have never bothered with it much and am always pleased and surprised if I get cards. I was very surprised today to receive a card from DD containing Australian money for my trip and am going to have tea and cake later with DS, GD & co. I feel quite moved. I must go out in a minute and find something to take this afternoon as discussed in a post earlier in the week. They had the most beautiful selection of perfect fresh flowers I have ever seen for sale outside Liberty's yesterday. I hope that recipients are suitably pleased.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Seatallan » March 11th, 2018, 12:07 pm

Jay Rayner is priceless isn't he? :lol: :lol:

That artichoke dish looks utterly vile... :sprout:
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby Cheezy_Jazzy » March 11th, 2018, 12:19 pm

Afternoon all :hug:

Have been out with hubby for breakfast :luv: he is now in the kitchen with his brother carrying on the works. If I am lucky the oven and hob will get installed today but we are going to have a BBQ Lasagne for tea, no idea whether it will work or not.

My parents are at my brother's house this weekend on grandparent duty so my mum got her card and present early. The card was a jokey one and had a packet of flower seeds in it. I usually make her a card but as we are so upside down I made an exception and bought one. She will get a handmade one for her birthday in a few weeks time.

I am off to the cinema this afternoon going to see Finding your feet, really looking forward to it :D
ImageImageImageImage
Cheezy_Jazzy
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » March 11th, 2018, 3:43 pm

Late good afternoon everyone :wave:

Glad everyone had a lovely day yesterday. However if we do decide to go it will have to be one portion between 2 - the protions seemed to be enormous!
My MD present from my two was a gift voucher for a meal at Ottolenghi when we go to London. What a wonderful surprise - I didn't even know they had heard of him and his restaurants.!!

We are just back from a marvellous lunch to celebrate Kai's birthday. Unfortunately M his wife is not doing so well with her treatment though she did enjoy her meal.

It is very warm here,18C at lunchtime but it keeps clouding over and threatening rain. However the sun was shining as we drove up to the village where the restaurant is and the almond trees are in full flower and so very beautiful.

The Jay raynor review made both Mr R and I laugh out loud That's one place we will be avaiding!
Je pense, donc je suis. - Decartes
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » March 11th, 2018, 5:03 pm

TeresaFoodie wrote:
I think I have picked up a bit of a cold from the woman swimming next to me yesterday who kept sneezing into the water, also the swim instructor on my other side who was doing the same. I have a streaming right nose hole, currently fit with a tissue bung to stop the flow.

I don't think it works that way.
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby liketocook » March 11th, 2018, 5:46 pm

Good evening everyone,
The Jay Rayner reviews are my "go to" read on a Sunday morning :)
Apart from clearing up I've had a quiet day today after a late (though very enjoyable) evening yesterday. I don't think I'll be late in bed tonight.
I got a beautiful orchid from my boys for Mother's Day, they know my tastes so well :D .
No cooking for me today after the efforts of the past few days I'm happy to heat up some leftovers for an easy meal. I'll need to give the fridge a good sort through tomorrow and see what needs using up in the veg department.
liketocook
Registered

Postby StokeySue » March 11th, 2018, 6:41 pm

Takes more than 24 hours to develop a cold Teresa, usually 2 to 5 days
It's usually impossible to pin down where you got them, as you don't know if it's a 2 day one or a 5 day one

Went for our history walk from Chaing Cross to St Giles in the Fields this morning, then had a porchetta sandwich in our new wine bar for lunch, then belatedly planted some seeds

It started pouring with rain just as it got dark
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby WWordsworth » March 11th, 2018, 7:09 pm

I have been in my home town this weekend due to Mother's Day.
SFH arrived on Thu, stayed at Mum's and cleared off this morning.
J and I arrived yesterday, stayed with brother and went to Mum's this morning.

SFH had left by the time we got there.
Whew.
I made coffee for us all, went in the fridge for milk and saw a (factory made) carrot cake.
On top was a post it note.
"Hello WW and J.
Please leave all of this cake for Mum, she loves it"
The word "all" was underlined.

It's probably a good job I dislike carrot cake.
WWordsworth
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » March 11th, 2018, 7:16 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby WWordsworth » March 11th, 2018, 7:26 pm

Mum was a professional baker, so I asked her if it was a good cake.
She said it was awful, too sweet.

J could barely contain himself.
WWordsworth
Registered

Postby Grasshopper » March 11th, 2018, 8:22 pm

Ellow! :wave:
Have just read that review - URP! :sprout:

My macaroni cheese was much nicer.
One sour note - the infernal boiler chose TODAY to pack up AGAIN! :x
:x
Grasshopper
Spring ventures forth to plant the grain
And Summer dries the straw
Autumn gathers in the harvest
And Winter shuts the door

Grasshopper
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » March 11th, 2018, 8:23 pm

Evening all,

A massive change in the weather here. It's been dry and warm enough for flip flops :luv: but now tipping it down. I had an impromptu lunch with mum, sister and youngest nephew and whilst out with them, a call from the lady who moved out of the other upstairs flat here last summer. She said her son had sent her Mother's day flowers here! I'm remembering she has told me in the past they didn't see eye to eye. I couldn't do a lot except look out for the delivery when I got home. They arrived eventually and her daughter will collect tomorrow. In the meantime I will pretend someone has bought me flowers for the day.

It seems my cold has been passed on by my family. They are getting over the worst of it now whereas my dripping tap has switched from right nostril to left. Weird how that often happens!

Think I'll watch Crufts for a bit...
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby StokeySue » March 11th, 2018, 9:07 pm

WWordsworth wrote:Mum was a professional baker, so I asked her if it was a good cake.

That was definitely The Question :D
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Grasshopper » March 11th, 2018, 9:22 pm

Time for me to hop off now - M****y tomorrow! :o :lol:
But not long 'till Easter now ;)
Nit nit peeps :hug:
:bounce:
Grasshopper
Spring ventures forth to plant the grain
And Summer dries the straw
Autumn gathers in the harvest
And Winter shuts the door

Grasshopper
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » March 12th, 2018, 6:14 am

Good Morning Wild Ones, sunny morning here. I think that I need to ring the dentist as I have lost a filling.

Moira :mug:
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » March 12th, 2018, 7:21 am

How careless of you Moira..... :lol: Mr. Z. lost one Xmas eve, they did get it refilled on that day :tu:

A very rainy one here, all the water butts are full and the cats are whinging because it is sodden and they will get soaked. Ckx. were not keen to get up either.

Mr. Z is off to work, Andover to Hinkley and back to collect 6 land rovers that they used during the snowy period. So he will be gone in a mo and back around 3ish.

I have some cooked chicken that needs to be transformed into something for supper?

Have a dry day Wildies if you can !
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby suffolk » March 12th, 2018, 7:30 am

Good morning all :D :mug:
A second :mug: needed here ...
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » March 12th, 2018, 7:57 am

Morning all

Dry here but threatening not to be! I will walk to Lidl later though. Speaking of teeth, I at least need to pop into a shop in the vicinity that sells little tooth pick hacksaw dental floss things. I also need muesli and milk. I really fancy a swim but I still ache from Saturday so today will be a walk day.

Have fun all.
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby icelesley » March 12th, 2018, 8:04 am

Good morning wild ones. We have rain and it's forecast for the whole day with a possibility of snow :o
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway. Image ImageImage
icelesley
Registered

Postby liketocook » March 12th, 2018, 8:49 am

Good morning everyone,
Another wildie needing lots of :mug: this morning. It looks as though it's going to pour with rain soon, I do hope it dries up before I need to go out this afternoon. It's quite mild though so hopefully the worst of the cold weather is over for this winter :) .
I've nothing exciting planned for today, I must tidy up my fridge and decide what to do with the five leeks that are in there! Some sort of leek based soup will definitely be on the menu this week. :)
liketocook
Registered

Postby suffolk » March 12th, 2018, 9:00 am

Downstairs with more :mug: now ... looks like we're in for a showery day.

It appears to be Pie Week this week so OH has requested a chicken and leek pie for supper to launch the week ... fortunately I had a load of home made rough puff in the freezer so that's out and thawing. We took the breasts off a chicken on Saturday for a curry, so that leaves the legs and carcass to poach this morning for the filling, and there are leeks, cream and parsley in the fridge ... we're on track :tu:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby liketocook » March 12th, 2018, 9:11 am

suffolk wrote:Downstairs with more :mug: now ... looks like we're in for a showery day.

It appears to be Pie Week this week so OH has requested a chicken and leek pie for supper to launch the week ... fortunately I had a load of home made rough puff in the freezer so that's out and thawing. We took the breasts off a chicken on Saturday for a curry, so that leaves the legs and carcass to poach this morning for the filling, and there are leeks, cream and parsley in the fridge ... we're on track :tu:

Chicken & leek pie now there's a thought, thanks suffs :)
liketocook
Registered

Postby suffolk » March 12th, 2018, 9:18 am

There's been a slight re-think ... I'm poaching the chicken today to make the pie tomorrow ... OH is going into the city today so will bring home sausages for supper this evening.

I do like to let the poached chicken for the pie filling cool properly before assembling so that gives me more time today as I want to get into the studio too ...
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » March 12th, 2018, 9:20 am

Back from the local supermarket, there was a terrific row in progress. A woman pushed in front of me at the till, there was obviously a dispute about the price of some meat, I put my goods on the moving belt in a very firm, not mention British fashion. I paid for my groceries, the woman came back and pushed in front again, this time it was a British Cypriot customer, who told the pusher in both English and Greek that "her time was equally as valuable". War was breaking out as I left. :o
No asparagus today, :td:

cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » March 12th, 2018, 9:33 am

Morning everyone :wave:

Yet another inaccurate weather forecast and instead of the stormy rain predicted we have clear blue skies and it is warm enough for the bees to be enjoying themselves. So washing ready to hang out. I hate it when I have to dry things in Suffs.doors.

Chicken and leek pie sounds good to me Suffs I have. Because of our meal out yesterday I'm going to slow cook the small shoulder of lamb I have with plans for a couple more meals during the week. I also got the frist local fresh peas of the season on Saturday along with a bunch of baby turnips, So lovely to see the spring veg appearing.

Talking of carrot cake WW. We ahve some French friends coming for lunch next weekend and when I invited them Alain said they would love to come especially if I made the cake with carrots. Fine by me it is quick and can be made well ahead of time. I think your mum would like it because it is not at all sweetSFH would probably say it was too home made :lol: :lol:

have a good week everyone.
Je pense, donc je suis. - Decartes
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » March 12th, 2018, 9:42 am

jrc wrote:I have been looking round for a while. I couldn’t get hold of an IP anywhere and the Pressue King ones have an aluminium insert which I would have preferred to avoid.

Instant Pots have been out of stock for some time ... those that run the fb group are constantly being asked when they are coming back, including a smaller version. They will then come in about 3 size capacities.

Anyway hope you enjoy the one you have bought jrc .... :tu:
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » March 12th, 2018, 9:45 am

Cheezy_Jazzy wrote:I am off to the cinema this afternoon going to see Finding your feet, really looking forward to it

Hope you enjoy it as much as I did Cheesy ... take a tissue though ;)
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » March 12th, 2018, 10:00 am

Morning all! :wave:

Laughed at the supermarket wars ... I haven't seen anything quite like that in ages here. Bad luck re the filling - I have got to go back for a small replacement too. I had to fight to get an appointment before I go away mid-April. It isn't causing any problems but you just know it would if I didn't get it seen to!

I am amazed at how popular the modern style of carrot cake has become. If there is a selection of cake at work it is always the first to go, if I am out with people they always seem to choose it and yesterday at DIL's there was a choice of Victoria sponge or carrot cake and the carrot was polished off in no time. I like it, but not as much as some other cakes.

I'm off for an exciting mammogram morning shortly. The hospital is 2 or 3 miles way and I planned to get the bus there and walk home but it is tipping with rain :( . I will probably still get the bus as parking is a nightmare and costs more than the bus but I'm not sure about walking all the way home yet. This afternoon I am going to plan my wardrobe for my trip .. I need garments and shoes for walking round Uluru which could be up to 30 degrees, bumming about in the city and away from the city which will be cold or hot depending on the autumn weather, a few evenings out and a respectable dinner .. and one of the flights I'm going on only allows 18 kilos. I rarely travel light and I think I'll be wearing walking boots and coat on flights :rolleyes:. (but it does leave some spare kilos to bring shopping home!).

I came across a recipe from a reasonable source (an acquaintance) this morning for scones which do not contain butter or milk but do contain heavy cream and lemonade. I must watch my weight this week so won't try them immediately but am intrigued. Has anyone ever tried a similar recipe?
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Busybee » March 12th, 2018, 10:24 am

If it helps at all EM, Uluru was very relaxed dressing when we were there last year. As you know all the accommodation, well the whole shebang, is owned by one company so everywhere seemed to have the same dress code. If you get a chance the Field of Light exhibit was our highlight along with a ranger led base walk.

I wish I was carrying your bags, where else us in your itinerary?

BB
Busybee
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » March 12th, 2018, 10:34 am

Queue jumping in supermarkets seems to be a skill that my four year old nephew has. Yesterday while my mum had a cigarette outside, I took him to the bakery section to get her a loaf. I gave him the loaf to hold and told him we had to get it sliced. He keenly marched over to the counter, pushed his way to the front of the queue of others wanting similar, proudly presented the loaf arms stretched out 'Can this be sliced please?' :lol: Nobody minded because we were all too busy laughing!
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » March 12th, 2018, 10:46 am

Thanks BB. It is more the changes in temperature and formality across the stay that is the problem! Uluru will definitely still be hot (to me) and Sydney can be hot or cold at that time of the year (or both if you are crossing the harbour on an otherwise warm day!). I'm just doing Sydney and Uluru (I am excited about that as I am into dowsing and Earth Chakras so have a fair idea of what I want to see!) - I wanted to go to WA but it was unjustifiably expensive to do what I wanted to do. I never tire of Sydney and will be bumming about old haunts with friends towards the end of the stay - we are all meeting up and going to a 50 year school reunion - the latter includes a semi-formal dinner. I shall be dressing informally most of the time .. there is just the dinner ... and there is mention of us girlies going out for cocktails ... having met or seen recent photos of them I somehow don't think they will overdress. Let's hope we don't get into the sort of scrapes we got into when we were 15! (although it might be fun!) :lol:
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Seatallan » March 12th, 2018, 2:02 pm

Hope mammogram goes well EM- last time I had one it was hacking it down too. I was dripping wet by the time I arrived. :)

WW, I loved the carrot cake story!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » March 12th, 2018, 3:18 pm

Who was going on about Commonwealth Day? There’s a fab service from Westminster Abbey on BBC1 at the moment. Say what you like about Her Maj but she looks fab for someone in her nineties.

Some cracking music!
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby suffolk » March 12th, 2018, 4:16 pm

Yes ... just switched the tv on and found it ... I'll watch it on Catch Up. :D
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Sloe-Gin » March 12th, 2018, 5:00 pm

Just popping by to say hi! And to catch up. I have done nothing of any merit today, although I've been busy.
Eat, drink and be merry
Sloe-Gin
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » March 12th, 2018, 6:21 pm

Pepper Pig wrote:Who was going on about Commonwealth Day? There’s a fab service from Westminster Abbey on BBC1 at the moment. Say what you like about Her Maj but she looks fab for someone in her nineties.

Some cracking music!

I turned it on in time to see the Maori choir .... Wonderful :hi5: :kneel: :bounce: :tu:
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby suffolk » March 12th, 2018, 6:24 pm

Agree ... wonderful :bounce: :kneel: :D

OH brought some lovely pistachio and almond biscuits home from his trip to the city with him ....... I have been unable to eat my supper :oops:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » March 13th, 2018, 6:17 am

Good Morning Wild Ones, I missed the Westminster Abbey service, I may play it back to hear the music.
Off to LIDL later on, they are stocking some of their De Luxe range this week, I need to have a browse among those items plus the usual cleaning materials ,

cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » March 13th, 2018, 6:30 am

Morning all,

Hoping for a dry day today for my walk to Chi Kong later. I just ordered myself a cute cat key ring and Vendetta on DVD. Danny Dyer. Yum. :luv: A cheap but deserved treat!

I have some (as StokeySue would say :lol:) 'acid bathed' avocado halves defrosting in the fridge. Not sure what I'll do with them yet. I may pair them up with buttered new potatoes and any other fresh veg I have lurking in the fridge. I know I have some broccoli. Using up my fortnightly remnants before pay day tomorrow - whoohoo! :woohoo:

I think my cold has subsided. My nose is no longer a dripping tap, although it is still tingling like a good 'un.

Roll on summer....
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

PreviousNext

Return to The Coffee Shop