Chatterbox LXXX - Quibilah

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Re: Chatterbox LXXX - Quibilah

Postby suffolk » March 13th, 2018, 6:50 am

Good morning all :D :mug:
I've let OH sleep in and I've made my own coffee ... he's motionless but I think he's aware ... ;)
It's drizzling out there so not tempting to get up yet.
This morning I'll make the chicken and leek pie with the chicken I poached yesterday.
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby icelesley » March 13th, 2018, 7:44 am

Good morning wild ones. After rain ALL day and night yesterday, it's actually dry today :bounce: I haven't decided what I am going to do today yet, I might nip over to the garden centre. :D
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway. Image ImageImage
icelesley
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » March 13th, 2018, 8:53 am

I did get up at 6am and let the cats and Ckx out but went back to bed and SLEPT ! Until 8am....... :o It's raining again....... The main building man is meant to be coming over with samples of larch for the cladding today. I was hoping to go and view the auction which happens tomorrow but need to make choices for the Hobbit room. Just heard, it will be between 11 and 12, so I can plan my day....
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby liketocook » March 13th, 2018, 8:56 am

Good morning everyone,
It rained overnight but it's dry and sunny this morning. If it stays that way I might do some pottering in the garden. I'm not going to plant anything as there is another icy snap on it's way so don't want to risk.
My trip to the Drs didn't go quite as planned, I arrived to be told she had been called out on an emergency visit. I did have the option to wait but as it was just a routine appointment I've opted to see her later today.
I cooked the carcass of a tandoori chicken overnight in the slow cooker, the stock smells lovely so I think it will be the basis for a leek based soup that'll make tomorrow. I've a small sea bass defrosting for tonight to have with rice & ratatouille :D
liketocook
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » March 13th, 2018, 9:37 am

Morning everyone :wave:
Beautiful sunny morning and Olivier has started work on the top floor next door. Unfortunately means we are not in for a tranquil few days!

Moira, some of Lidl's Deluxe range is very good isn't it ? We'll pop in tomorrow because they have New Zealand wines this week - rarer than hen's teeth in these parts. It will be interesting to see how the locals take to it because they are normally very very conservative when it comes to wine and if it's not Bordeaux or very local they don't seem to want to try it.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby StokeySue » March 13th, 2018, 9:57 am

Good morning
Rats, when one of the French cousins, born and raised 10 km from Bergerac, was in London I took a bottle of really good Australian wine for him to try. He was impressed
Drier today.
Need to finish up a little bit of housework, walk to the Turkish supermarket for herbs (and exercise) then tonight I will make my special marinade for Trinidad style seasoned up chicken for tomorrow. The brief is cooking with spirits and there will be a good amount of Lidl's James Cook rum in it, just checked I have enough, just
Have a good day
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » March 13th, 2018, 10:36 am

Morning all! :wave: Deep envy at getting a replacement doctor appointment just like that - I'm sure we'd wait months here.

Lidl's Deluxe range is one of the reasons I dare not go there too often. I come out with too many treats and not enough down to earth bargains!

Sue - looking forward to hearing how your dish turns out. You mentioned it at the meet and It sounds rather good.

Zosh - have you EVER slept that late before? You always seem to be up with the lark!

Tezza mantioned avocados. I have been looking at recipes for avocado hummus after the delicious stuff we had in London the other day. They all seem to contain beans and strong tasting herbs and spices - and some have tahini. I don't think ours did, it was very smooth with a creamy taste but not spicy. There was definitely avocado and lime and some green bits which someone said might be coriander but I didn't really get a pulse texture - maybe the addition of a very smooth hummus would be smooth enough to do that and avocado does become very creamy in that kind of dish. I thought it might have the addition of yogurt or something. What do others think?

I have a whole day ahead with no commitments! I intend finally finishing clearing up the spare bedroom/office which still needs a bit more attention. Hopefully a nice walk later too. I enjoyed my walk back from the hospital yesterday, even though there was fine rain for much of the way. I was a bit cross because I went to the hospital cafe for a coffee and might have had an early lunch but apart from whole fresh fruit everything was quite calorific. There were heaps of machines full of sweetened cereal and chocolate bars and soft drinks (some of which pretended to be 'healthy'), very long and generously filled baguettes - which looked delicious but were more than the average person needs for lunch, uninteresting boxed sandwiches and various hot foods - Lasagne with generous pieces of garlic bread, something Indian with huge naan breads and I think something with noodles. I didn't see any salad, jacket potatoes or soup. Everything was clean and nicely presented but I do wish that hospitals would get their act together regarding diet both for patients and visitors and staff. (There is a Burger King and Costa across the foyer which brings in revenue :rolleyes: ).
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » March 13th, 2018, 10:50 am

My trip to Lidl was almost a waste of time, most of the De Luxe range was not in stock. I spoke to one of the management team to express my disgust, basically none of the items except crisps, listed on pages 10/11 of this weeks leaflet are available. A notice apologising in Greek and English on a sheet of A4 by the front door is not good enough. I am about to check whether they have a Facebook page.

Moira
When life gives you lemons, make sorbet
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby scullion » March 13th, 2018, 10:55 am

earthmaiden wrote:Lidl's Deluxe range is one of the reasons I dare not go there too often. I come out with too many treats and not enough down to earth bargains!

there was an interesting article on the radio yesterday about doorstep milk deliveries. someone, who got in touch with the programme, said that although they were more expensive she had saved quite a lot of money as not taking a trip to a supermarket (as when she had run out in the past) meant she wasn't spending the money on the extra, impulse buys any more.
scullion
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » March 13th, 2018, 11:19 am

I think that I have managed to post on Lidl' Cyprus Facebook page, I will be interested to see if I get a response.

Moira
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » March 13th, 2018, 11:34 am

Scully - I can well believe that - though it's only Lidl where I go in for big impulse buying! I think milk deliveries are good as a social thing too, the milkman often notices first if there is something wrong (usually with an elderly person) and carries other essential supplies. I use so little milk and have nowhere for it to be left where it wouldn't be pinched ... sadly the case in many places nowadays. You have to be at home for all or part of the day and use enough milk for it to work.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Seatallan » March 13th, 2018, 11:45 am

earthmaiden wrote: I do wish that hospitals would get their act together regarding diet both for patients and visitors and staff.

Oh absolutely EM. It really shouldn't be beyond the wit of man should it?

Hope you enjoy your day (and ditto to all the Wildies :luv: :wave: )
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » March 13th, 2018, 11:52 am

earthmaiden wrote:Scully - I can well believe that - though it's only Lidl where I go in for big impulse buying! I think milk deliveries are good as a social thing too, the milkman often notices first if there is something wrong (usually with an elderly person) and carries other essential supplies. I use so little milk and have nowhere for it to be left where it wouldn't be pinched ... sadly the case in many places nowadays. You have to be at home for all or part of the day and use enough milk for it to work.

I count myself extremely lucky that we have a dairy farm in the village and they deliver their own milk ... and at no extra cost at 50p per pint. I pay more than that at the corner shop and Tesco is same price I recall. I have a pint delivered Monday and Wednesday and 2 pints on Friday . I am only sorry that they are not organic, still I suppose I can't have everything ;)
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby liketocook » March 13th, 2018, 12:34 pm

I do wish there was a milk delivery round here, I'd happily pay a bit extra :D
Our local hospital food choices for out patients /visitors sounds pretty much like yours EM. If you are staying in with a child etc. you can get a pass to the staff dining room which at least has a salad bar and soup choice but mains meals are mainly of the "something with chips" though :( Options if you need to be there later in the day are very much stodge or vending machines. In-patient food is ok if you watch what you choose but I found everything very over salted which I was surprised at. They do lots of various dietary options but low salt isn't one of them :x
liketocook
Registered

Postby jrc » March 13th, 2018, 1:33 pm

Hello :oops:
jrc
Registered

Postby suffolk » March 13th, 2018, 1:46 pm

What've you been up to jrc ... why the guilty face? ;)
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby jrc » March 13th, 2018, 1:53 pm

Leg is mega :sprout: :sprout: :sprout:

They told me to bathe it this afternoon which I have done, then I have got to redress it only for them to remove said dressing for them to peer at it. :rolleyes:

It has literally reduced me to tears even soaking it off in the bath so I have taken some pics of it in case they just need to have a look without removing scary dressing. :sprout:
jrc
Registered

Postby suffolk » March 13th, 2018, 2:21 pm

Ouch! :shock: :( :hug: :plink:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » March 13th, 2018, 2:39 pm

Oooh jrc, that sounds nasty .. could it be an abcess ?
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby jrc » March 13th, 2018, 3:04 pm

PatsyMFagan wrote:Oooh jrc, that sounds nasty .. could it be an abcess ?

I think quite possibly. It is gross. :sprout:

At least I am on antibiotics now. :?

I nearly went through the roof when they tried to clean it yesterday :?
jrc
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » March 13th, 2018, 4:14 pm

Back from the dentist, I have started antibiotics.
JRC, that sounds nasty

Moira
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby jrc » March 13th, 2018, 6:23 pm

Leg has been dressed again. :?
jrc
Registered

Postby suffolk » March 13th, 2018, 6:27 pm

Hope it's easier now jrc :hug:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby jrc » March 13th, 2018, 7:22 pm

A long way to go Suffs. :hug:

Not much easier at the moment. Lest just say the nurse enjoys her job. :terrified:
jrc
Registered

Postby suffolk » March 13th, 2018, 7:38 pm

Well, most people who enjoy their jobs are good at them. Hope you've got some paracetamol at the ready. :)
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Grasshopper » March 13th, 2018, 8:58 pm

Ouch JRC - that doesn't sound nice :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:
:hug:
Grasshopper
Spring ventures forth to plant the grain
And Summer dries the straw
Autumn gathers in the harvest
And Winter shuts the door

Grasshopper
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » March 14th, 2018, 6:32 am

Good Morning Wild Ones. Avocado on toast for breakfast, I never managed to make it before, the avocadoes are not a problem, they grow on trees here. The problem is the toast, the local village style bread does not make good toast. We have some suitable bread because I bought some for scrambled eggs on toast for yesterdays supper, the eggs were to accompany the last of the bacon that Deb bought back from the UK. So suddenly I have succumbed to fashion :lol:

Moira :mug:
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » March 14th, 2018, 7:33 am

Morning all,

The sparrows woke me up today! Much louder than any alarm clock! A nice, walkable day out there. Payment to me means groceries ahoy!

JRC - ouch! :hug:

Moira - the avocado on toast sounds lovely! That's what I'll be having shortly! :tu:
Imagine peace
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby jrc » March 14th, 2018, 7:47 am

Morning all :hug:

Leg very sore, but they did say it needs to get worse before it gets better. :?

Bob will get some shopping later, then having leg dressed again later. ;)

If they could give me something to numb the area for cleaning it would be much kinder on both me and the nurse. :lol:

With all the meds and health issues I have got my message in a bottle. I just need to fill it up now. :rolleyes:

Hope everyone is ok. :hug:
jrc
Registered

Postby Gruney » March 14th, 2018, 7:55 am

It will get better, jrc - I just hope it gets a move on for you.
Gruney
Registered

Postby jrc » March 14th, 2018, 7:59 am

I hope so, :hug:

It feels like I have been ill ever since we moved here. :cry:

I have to get well soon as it is Bobs 70 th soon and it involves a spa. Need to have a word with leg. :twisted:
jrc
Registered

Postby icelesley » March 14th, 2018, 8:02 am

Good morning wild ones. JRC I hope the leg heals soon :hug: The weather report is saying more heavy snow this weekend :rolleyes:
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway. Image ImageImage
icelesley
Registered

Postby suffolk » March 14th, 2018, 8:20 am

Good morning all :D :mug:
Hope it feels easier very soon jrc.
The day looks lovely out there ... dodgy knees feel quite good today so will head off to tennis later ... supper will be mushroom risotto with some braised chicory ... it's a bottom of the fridge day ;)
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby jrc » March 14th, 2018, 9:01 am

Just managed eleven tablets and a shower sort of Eros style with leg stuck out behind me. They said as it is a hydrocoll dressing I could sort of leap in and leap out of the shower. :lol:
jrc
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » March 14th, 2018, 9:13 am

Morning all! :wave:

Oh dear jrc - I hope that your leg soon heals, did you have any sort of real diagnosis in the end? :hug: :hug:

Not envious of today's Wildie meals so far but there was a picture of Suffs' pie yesterday which looked wonderful. I am going to attempt some fish cakes with a date and tamarind sauce from Yasmin Khan's book later. I've had the book for ages but have started to work my way through some of the recipes.

It's a glorious sunny day out there. I have a hair appointment this morning which I will walk to, shopping to do and a bit of cleaning at home before going back to work tomorrow. I have just seen the dustmen whizz past - for some reason I was thinking it was dustbin day tomorrow :rolleyes:.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby jrc » March 14th, 2018, 9:26 am

Hi EM, no diagnosis so far. It is weird. About 20 years ago I went to the quack with a hard round cyst about two inches below the back of my knee. Doctor said it was a Bakers cyst, harmless and to forget it. I have since changed doctors surgery since the house move.

It was about the size of a large marble. It was last Thursday when I got out of the bath and drying myself it hurt. When I looked it had kind of erupted. :shock:

It has been getting steadily worse but the treatment means drawing out all the gunge, hence this type of dressing, plus antibiotics.

Last Friday they did take a swab so I am hoping for something in the next couple of days.

It looks grim and is very painful but for the first time I don’t actually feel physically ill, and have manage half a slice of toast, pretty much the first food since Sunday. :bounce:

I did google Bakers cyst and it is absolutely not one of those, which was confirmed by the nurse.
jrc
Registered

Postby Sloe-Gin » March 14th, 2018, 9:39 am

Morning all. Hope you're all keeping well and warm.

jrc, it sounds like you're really going through the mill. Hope they can sort it soon.

We had planned to move the van to its summer quarters on Saturday, but the rather gusty weather (I hate towing in the wind) and cold temperatures mean that we may just take it on Sunday and return the same day. Whilst we'd be very cosy in our centrally heated van, I can't imagine the state of 4 springers without an awning in which to dry them! Well, I can actually imagine the state, not only of them, but the sofas/bed/carpets etc :lol:

So, the g'kids will be here on Saturday. S'all go.

I may go to Lidl, later!
Eat, drink and be merry
Sloe-Gin
Registered

Postby suffolk » March 14th, 2018, 10:35 am

The sunshine makes such a difference doesn't it 8-) ... I've got a batch of wholemeal dough proving ... I'll turn it into loaves after tennis ... in the meantime a quick :mug: slurp before tennis .....
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby StokeySue » March 14th, 2018, 11:13 am

Good morning
:hug: jrc
Better go andtidy the kitchen before the man arrives to replace the lock
Have a good day
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Seatallan » March 14th, 2018, 11:23 am

Ouch jrc! :hug: :hug:

If it does prove to be an infected cyst, I had something similar years ago (in my case it was on one of my earlobes- the cyst had been there for yonks but it suddenly swelled to gargantuan proportions and was right painful. I had it drained a couple of times before it finally started to heal). Whatever it is, I do hope you feel properly better soon.
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby suffolk » March 14th, 2018, 12:39 pm

Back from tennis ... one five game set is all my knee can take at the moment ... but onwards and upwards ...

Dough nicely risen so it's been knocked back and shaped, popped into tins and is having its second prove ... in the meantime I'll have a quick lunch and a noodle with you lot ... what's everyone been up to?
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » March 14th, 2018, 1:00 pm

Afternoon everyone :wave:

It is an absolutely gorgeous sunny day here. The almond trees are in full blom but Mont Ventoux is still covered in snow which, against the blue sky. looks quite magical.

Now the two week's snow break is over and the kids are back in school it is quite quiet - although of course they are off again today because it's Wednesday! Managed to do supermarket, Lidl and Picard in record time and gathered up all 12 bottles of NZ white that Lidl had. Mr R asked if they had been very popular because there were so few left and was told he was the only person who had bought any, They had only been sent 12.

jrc I am presuming that if a swab has been taken it has actually been tested and nothing overly awful has shown up. I can't see why they don't know what they, not to mention you are dealing with.I do hope it begins to feel more comfortable soon.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby StokeySue » March 14th, 2018, 1:05 pm

the swab will probably only show which organisms are present, and so if the antibiotics need to be changed (which they probably don't, as they can make a good guess most of the time)
It takes a while to grow the organisms to classify them
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby jrc » March 14th, 2018, 1:47 pm

Just back from the supermarket. Bob had a couple of things he needed to do so dropped me off and collected me. It was nice to get out, just a bit ambitious. :?

I am on Flucloxacillin ( I know I haven’t spelt it right) 500 four times a day.

Am going to chill until this afternoons appointment. :hug:
jrc
Registered

Postby suffolk » March 14th, 2018, 1:57 pm

Think that's what DS used to have when he had countless ear infections as a child ... sometimes upset his tummy, but not badly.
Get well soon jrc.
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby StokeySue » March 14th, 2018, 2:12 pm

Just looked it up, seems flucloxacillin is the first line of attack for skin and ears
I've had it, can't think what for
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby suffolk » March 14th, 2018, 2:15 pm

Wow! My memory worked!!! :D
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby jrc » March 14th, 2018, 3:16 pm

I see we have lost Jim Bowen as well. :shock:
jrc
Registered

Postby suffolk » March 14th, 2018, 3:22 pm

It's been a bad winter for flu, chest infections etc ... not good for the frail elderly :(
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » March 14th, 2018, 3:36 pm

Back from Pissouri, caught up with the gossip, the Melanda Beach taverna is open, the food is a good as usual. There is some discussion about what we shall do with the money from our weekly subs, personally I favour Afternoon Tea at one of the 5* hotels in Paphos but have been over ruled by those who want to go to Northern Nicosia, the occupied area, to buy knitting wool :rolleyes:

Moira
cyprusmoira
Registered

PreviousNext

Return to The Coffee Shop