Up to date cookery books

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Up to date cookery books

Postby cyprusmoira » February 8th, 2018, 6:32 am

With the exception of some of Claudia Rosen's books and Persiana, all our cookery books are over 15 years old. Does anyone have any suggestions for books with up to date techniques and recipes, preferably not by celebrity chefs.
I know that I can buy on Amazon but I like to look at the books first. Readers of the Chatterbox thread will know that Deb is off to the UK for a quick visit, there will be time to visit book shops and garden centres

Moira
When life gives you lemons, make sorbet
cyprusmoira
Registered

Re: Up to date cookery books

Postby Pepper Pig » February 8th, 2018, 7:47 am

Anything by Diana Henry will be good. I love her chicken book but she's written a few.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00NT7YRBO/ ... TF8&btkr=1

Books tend to be quite expensive in bookshops. I'm afraid I nearly always buy mine in Costco or on Amazon.
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby Suelle » February 8th, 2018, 8:03 am

With the exception of Delia Smith's 'How to Cook' trilogy, I haven't got anything modern which covers all aspects of cookery either.

I don't think Delia counts as a modern celebrity, though, as she seems to have retired from celebrity-ness! :D
Suelle
Global Moderator

Postby Pepper Pig » February 8th, 2018, 8:47 am

The best book I’ve bought recently is On the Side. I think Stokey Sue has also recommended it. Loads of really good stuff.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Side-sourceboo ... e+ed+smith
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby StokeySue » February 8th, 2018, 8:58 am

The tendency, apart from celebrity chefs, is for books to focus on one area, like the chicken book that PP mentions or like Ed Smith's "On the Side" book of side dishes, mainly vegetables of course which I've mentioned before. Made the cauliflower with yogurt tahini sauce last night (without tge leaves which weren't very nice on my cauli)

So it would be good to know what kinds of dishes you want to make

The cookbook I'm currently eyeing up is Solo by Signe Johansen, a book about cooking for one. She wrote Scandelicious about Scandinavian food which I don't have but seems to be well regarde
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » February 8th, 2018, 9:05 am

Mr. Z. bought me the Jack Monroe CB I did spend a lot of time reading it, but I have to admit I have not cooked anything from it. One of my favourite reads is the Bg Red Tomato Book.... and I have used some of the recipes but it is more a Summertime CB for me.

A couple of years back, we went to a lovely house and gardens somewhere in Somerset and in the main house they had a whole room of 2nd hand CB's I was in 7th heaven, Mr. Z. had to drag me out of there.... otherwise I would have spent a small fortune.
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » February 8th, 2018, 11:08 am

The problem is that I am not really sure what I am looking for, mainly inspiration I suspect. We veer towards Mediterranean style cooking for obvious reasons .

Moira
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » February 8th, 2018, 11:12 am

Do you have any Ottolenghi books Moira?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_ss ... EFI127B6MV
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby scullion » February 8th, 2018, 11:47 am

i find i'm using the internet more and more for recipes, nowadays so, just to throw a spanner in the works, i suggest getting an iPad/kindle fire/a tablet of some description and using that instead. it can be taken into the kitchen with a recipe you've found online.
i recently cooked four of mama's recipes, all on different tabs, flicking between them without having to fumble with paper.
you can also use it for checking emails, reading books etc if you're in bed, don't want to sit at desk, or are on holiday.
scullion
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » February 8th, 2018, 12:11 pm

I do exactly the same Scully.
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » February 8th, 2018, 1:08 pm

scullion wrote:i find i'm using the internet more and more for recipes, nowadays so, just to throw a spanner in the works, i suggest getting an iPad/kindle fire/a tablet of some description and using that instead. it can be taken into the kitchen with a recipe you've found online.
i recently cooked four of mama's recipes, all on different tabs, flicking between them without having to fumble with paper.
you can also use it for checking emails, reading books etc if you're in bed, don't want to sit at desk, or are on holiday.

Can't be taken into mine Scully - no internet signal in there and anyway, the screen is far to small for me to see comfortably.
Je pense, donc je suis. - Decartes
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby suffolk » February 8th, 2018, 1:23 pm

Same here ... no signal in the kitchen ... but there is in the dining room and the studio ... so I just run backwards and forwards checking amounts etc ... means I get exercise even when cooking ;)
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » February 8th, 2018, 1:45 pm

Suffs I have to run up a flight of stairs. There are only three rooms in the house where we can get a signal and none where we have a mobile signal. Comes of having metre thick stone walls. Great for insulation though!
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » February 8th, 2018, 1:59 pm

I can’t be doing with reading recipes off my iPad or Kindle. As they keep closing down after so many minutes the tablets end up covered in floury, greasy fingerprints. Give me a cookbook any day.
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby scullion » February 8th, 2018, 2:21 pm

it was a suggestion for moira that could be worth considering, not a 'do as i do' for others.
scullion
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » February 8th, 2018, 2:47 pm

And I was pointing out why it doesn’t work for some of us.
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » February 8th, 2018, 3:15 pm

We are already into Ottolenghi :drool:

The Wi Fi signal can be a bit dodgy in the kitchen here too, especially in the evening when the kiddiewinks are home from school

Moira
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » February 8th, 2018, 3:30 pm

I second anything written by Diana Henry. I love her books/style of cooking.

Also On the Side by Ed Smith as mentioned above.

I'd also recommend anything by Donna Hay...the photography in her books is always stunning. Her style of cooking can be quite minimalistic though so you might want to flick through a copy/read some reviews before deciding if her recipes are for you.
OneMoreCheekyOne
Registered

Postby StokeySue » February 8th, 2018, 6:07 pm

You shouldn't need a WiFi signal in the kitchen to use a tablet device, they all have a facility for reading a page offline (I even download directions and maps and use them in the street with WiFi turned off)

Similarly, as they all have zoom or magnifier functions I often find it's easier to read through the recipe in the comfort of the living room then enlarge the ingredients list so I can easily read the quantities in the kitchen

I did this yesterday when making a Felicity Cloake recipe, worked well, and has the advantage that it forces you to read the whole recipe before you start :D
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Amber » February 8th, 2018, 10:30 pm

I’m another who likes Donna Hey recipes. I don’t have a book, but there are loads of recipes available on her website.

It’s no indication of a good recipe but I only ever buy books with a picture of the finished dish on the same or opposite page. I like to know what I’m aiming for. :D
Amber
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » February 9th, 2018, 12:57 pm

I've been thinking about this thread quite a bit since it was first posted. Diana Henry was my first thought too. Am I the only one who is not eco friendly and prints off online recipes to be used? The paper can then get dirty and tatty without any mess :). I like the look of the Ed Smith book.

At one time there were good, classic cookery books which one kept for life and which started off with first courses and went through to puddings and cakes. I have not seen one like that embracing more up to date ideas alongside the more traditional in recent years and I suspect it would be almost impossible as we have embraced so many influences that things go by genre nowadays e.g. world cuisines, vegan, GF etc. I think that eastern Mediterranean, Middle Eastern and north African styles are the biggest influences at the moment (I live in the provinces, it has probably moved on in London). Thus Ottolenghi and all the Persiana kind of books and now people like Rick Stein and Nigel Slater have jumped aboard. They lend themselves well to 'light eating' and a move away from wheat which are the big things. If you live in Cyprus, all this is probably a bit old hat. There are also the 1001 things you can do with a vegetable such as cauliflower rice, courgette spaghetti, many kinds of cake and so on.

I am always impressed with the recipes in the monthly Waitrose magazine and think that their collection, which I think is available online, would make good modern cookery books. I haven't seen the ones below but they might be worth looking at.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Love-Cook-Wait ... 1849837643

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Waitrose-Food- ... 1405311649

At work, someone has left a comprehensive M&S cookery book from the '70's out amongst a pile of other old books for people to look at. It focuses on using the deep freeze and microwave efficiently. It is quite astonishing (to me) how dated it is and how much more we have introduced into the everyday UK diet since then.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » February 9th, 2018, 1:24 pm

The final sorting of our books is now nearing the end. Of well over 600 cookery/food books I have got rid of more than half. I don't think i will ever need misrowave, freezer and pressure cooking information agian for example. I have also reduced my huge collection of magazine to 12 magazine holders, on for each month. More often than not I don't read recipes, just look at the pictures and then use that as inspiration.
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby suffolk » February 9th, 2018, 2:20 pm

Ratatouille wrote:More often than not I don't read recipes, just look at the pictures and then use that as inspiration.

Glad I'm not the only one :tu:
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Return to The Coffee Shop