Supermarket reward schemes

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Supermarket reward schemes

Postby KC2 » February 8th, 2018, 12:22 pm

Morning all!
Today I got a letter to say that they're closing the pick your own at Waitrose at the end of February - I'll miss it! It really was a genuinely good deal, I felt, and I hugely appreciated the 20% off the items I'd picked. Basics like eggs, coffee and butter. It compensated for paying 10-20% more for those items at the local "Little Waitrose" compared with the actual supermarkets.
By comparison I think the other reward schemes are really not that great - I use the Tesco clubcard and it used to be really good when you got 25 points for filling in an online customer survey every time you went to the store! As we have a little one at the end of the road we go several times a week. They put an end to that and now you can only do it once a month!
I think the Sainsbury's one is probably the least useful - what do you all find?

As I think the Tesco ad says "Every little helps" with food prices going up and up ...
KC2
Registered

Re: Supermarket reward schemes

Postby Zosherooney » February 8th, 2018, 12:26 pm

I think it is belt tightening times. For us and the s'markets. I use Lidl and Aldi where I can as I find their pricing so much better, but that depends on what s'markets you have got close to you. W'rose, s'bugs and T'co are quite a lot more expensive in comparison. Again depends on your funds. I also grow my own stuff.
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby Chinchilla_lady » February 8th, 2018, 12:30 pm

I do our big shop with Sainsbugs and have a Nectar card, I noticed last time I bought a bottle of spirits for Mr C that they no longer give points on it, not that we buy that much now but....When they first brought the card out I used to be able to save enough points through the year to cover Christmas, not any more, even with the incentives they offered this year it fell way short.

Addicted to White Cats
Chinchilla_lady
Registered

Postby scullion » February 8th, 2018, 12:33 pm

i don't know why i bother flashing the key fob cards at the checkout, i don't tend to spend enough in those shops that run the loyalty cards to do anything other than let them know what i buy. i can't remember the last time i had any vouchers or benefits from them. i may stop bothering with them.
the only benefit that i can think of is that if you lose your keys (with the fob on) the finder can hand them into tesco who'll get in touch with you for retrieval.
scullion
Registered

Postby Hope » February 8th, 2018, 12:35 pm

I got that letter today too. ONly I didn't read it (until I noticed this post!) They've sent me vouchers, but they are useless to me as I can't shop instore and the vouchers can't be used online.
Hope
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » February 8th, 2018, 12:50 pm

Hope, I'd contact them to see what they can do to help and 'keep you as a valued customer' :tu:
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby KC2 » February 8th, 2018, 1:13 pm

Zosherooney wrote:I think it is belt tightening times. For us and the s'markets. I use Lidl and Aldi where I can as I find their pricing so much better, but that depends on what s'markets you have got close to you. W'rose, s'bugs and T'co are quite a lot more expensive in comparison. Again depends on your funds. I also grow my own stuff.

Our Lidls are quite far away and Aldi even further. That said, they are about to open a Lidl in Shepherd's Bush which is a short bus ride from us, so it'll mean we can pop over to get a couple of bottles of EVOO or such like. Then we won't need to buy as if there's no tomorrow when we do actually drive to one of the other Lidls. I don't think there's going to be much parking at the new Lidl so it'll be a question of only getting what you can carry home on the bus. I've got arthritis so can't carry much, OH is better than I am but he's less able to carry stuff than he used to be too.

One of these days I can see that we may need to invest in a wheeley trolley for coming back from the market ;) ;)
KC2
Registered

Postby Suelle » February 8th, 2018, 1:19 pm

My shopping habits have changed drastically now that I no longer have access to a car (and driver). I tend to shop where it's convenient, which often means Waitrose, and no longer use Tesco which is now too far away to walk to, and carry shopping back from - it used to be where I did about 80% of my shopping.

I don't make much from shopping loyalty cards now that I spread my shopping around, and am buying less, but I think shopping at Waitrose has saved me the most overall. I got an email at the end of January saying that shopping there had saved me over £98 in the previous three months - that included anything bought on special offer, and the times that I picked up a free newspaper. I reckon that's more than 20% of what I spent there - more than usual as it included Christmas shopping.

I don't think I saved much on the Pick Your Own offers at Waitrose, as there was nothing on the lists that I bought both regularly and frequently, and several things on my list actually disappeared off the shelves, so I could no longer get them. Getting offers tailored to what I've bought in the past might be better for me.
Suelle
Global Moderator

Postby Ratatouille » February 8th, 2018, 2:14 pm

KC2 I have had a shopping trolley for years amd years - mostly for the market because fruit and veg is so heavy to carry.

We save loyalty points at the supermarket and use them when the wine fair comes round every autumn. We also have loyalty cards at three wine co-ops. I think I may be giving too much information here come to think of it :scared:
Je pense, donc je suis. - Decartes
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » February 8th, 2018, 3:36 pm

Waitrose decaff coffee is horrible and only available in the stores that have cafes. I have to be caffeine-free so that offer isn't up to much. I go for the free newspaper if I'm shopping at the weekend but very often don't get round to reading much of it as I get my news online. Like Sue there's not much in the pick your own that I regularly buy at Waitrose either.

The M&S Sparks card is a total waste of time.

In the good old days when these cards first came out you'd get useful things like Air Miles and Days Out at Alton Towers. We did a fair few trips on those when the kids were small.

Of the current lot I make most out of the Wyevale Garden Centres one.
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby Bubbles » February 8th, 2018, 4:42 pm

[quote][/quote] M&S Sparks card is a total waste of time.
Not great I know but you do have to remember to sign in regularly. It then shows all the offers and you just click on the ones you want. They are then added to your Sparks card.
Bubbles
Registered

Postby Busybee » February 8th, 2018, 4:53 pm

I find the Sparks one a real faff, I never check what the offers are before I go shopping.

I use a tesco club card and also a tesco credit card so the points do add up over the year. I also save my vouchers/coupons for my Christmas shop. I also shop at Waitrose and have their loyalty card but I’m not really sure how it works.

BB
Busybee
Registered

Postby KC2 » February 8th, 2018, 7:06 pm

Suelle wrote:Getting offers tailored to what I've bought in the past might be better for me.
I hope that works well for you, I'm not sure that it will for us as, for instance, in the letter today I received a £1 voucher for eggs - and I have been saving 30p or 40p each time I bought them for ages! It'll take a lot of £1s to make up that 20% off.

The threshold spend offers are good, particularly when you do self-scanning which enables you to spend more exactly the amount you need to trigger the saving!
Suelle wrote: I got an email at the end of January saying that shopping there had saved me over £98 in the previous three months - that included anything bought on special offer, and the times that I picked up a free newspaper. I reckon that's more than 20% of what I spent there - more than usual as it included Christmas shopping.

We apparently saved more than £160 over the 3 months but we really enjoy getting the Sunday paper so at £3 a go, that adds up.
Ratatouille wrote:KC2 I have had a shopping trolley for years and years - mostly for the market because fruit and veg is so heavy to carry.
We save loyalty points at the supermarket and use them when the wine fair comes round every autumn. We also have loyalty cards at three wine co-ops. I think I may be giving too much information here come to think of it :scared:

Haha Rats, thinking about you filling up your trolley with wine and using it to support yourself as you weave through the streets :lol: :lol:

I'm interested to hear how relatively useless the Sparks card is, I must say I never bothered with it and often wondered what I was missing out on. I find M & S generally rather pricey, more so than Waitrose I think, although their dine in meals can be good.

Last Christmas we paid for our roast with the John Lewis vouchers I had collected for about 6 months by using their credit card - £30. It was good not to have that added to all the rest of the Christmas spend!!
The Boots card isn't bad, and I think over 60s get double points. I think I read somewhere that it was the most generous of all the loyalty cards.

Hope wrote:I got that letter today too. ONly I didn't read it (until I noticed this post!) They've sent me vouchers, but they are useless to me as I can't shop instore and the vouchers can't be used online.

Hope, I definitely think it's a good idea to get in touch with them as Zosh suggests.They'll certainly offer you something you can use.
KC2
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » February 8th, 2018, 7:08 pm

I have never used the Waitrose one because their website is so unfriendly I have never been able to manage to set it up. When I have selected the goods I would like to go in the offer it always assumes I am going online shopping :evil: :evil: . The Sparks one is a horrible faff too. I like saving money but not when it is made almost impossible to do.

I don't shop in Tesco but their scheme seems best to me. I use Nectar and just take money off my shopping every now and again. I liked the Sainsburys one best when they did Air Miles but then Tesco pinched them.

I have so many loyalty cards now that I had to get a special wallet to grapple with at the till along with my purse :twisted: . I know it's a ploy to see what we buy but I wish we could just be charged less in the first place.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby KC2 » February 8th, 2018, 7:09 pm

earthmaiden wrote:I have so many loyalty cards now that I had to get a special wallet to grapple with at the till along with my purse :twisted: . I know it's a ploy to see what we buy but I wish we could just be charged less in the first place.

Hear, hear!!
KC2
Registered

Postby Hope » February 8th, 2018, 7:16 pm

Sparks card is great. Or at least it is when they send me 20% off bread, being as their GF bread is the only one I've found that I like! (although they usually send me the email the day after I've got hubby to buy me some!)
Hope
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » February 8th, 2018, 8:26 pm

Of the above I have a Sainsbury's/nectar card (also tied to eBay), and I have a Waitrose card but not sure I have ever got anything out of that other than a free magazine. I spent my last accumulation of Sainsburys points when shopping for my mother. When we were younger and poorer, and you got more money for your rewards (when they were paper vouchers) we used to save them to do the Christmas shop (which used to involve quite a lot of booze... :oops: )
I tried to get a Tesco card several times, but none of the shops seem able to furnish me with one. Ditto the M&S card, so I couldn't be bothered.

Not a supermarket, but I get the most benefit from my Boots reward card. Not so much the points - although I have an embarrassingly large (it get's mentioned 30% of the time I purchase something :evil: ) because I have bought a couple of large household appliances through them, but the discounts they offer which get loaded onto the card. I also have contact lenses by post which gives me a discount every time I use the card. One time I bought a pair of (cheap but on special offer) sunglasses and some not cheap shampoo and something else and without using any points, I only had to pay £5!

I wish Sainsbury's would load their vouchers onto the card. I always forget to bring and/or use them. Also a waste of paper. Perhaps they could be lent on from the environmental point of view. Clearly the vouchers are tied to my card, as they are based on past purchases.

I have to say that I have never used a supermarket or shop because of the rewards though.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby StokeySue » February 8th, 2018, 10:11 pm

I've got a Morrisons card as it's 600 m frome here
I think the return has gone down, but it is a nice simple one, I collect points, and there are special offers to get bonus points, and when the total hits 5 000 the till prints out a £5 voucher I can use for anything I like instore
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Return to The Coffee Shop