Arthritis

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Arthritis

Postby Amber » March 7th, 2018, 10:08 pm

I was diagnosed with osteo-arthritis last year, it can be painful, but generally not too bad. I have splints, but find pain relief cream is the best option.

However, tonight, for the first time, my grip went when I was holding a pan of boiling water, and trying to strain veg. I was lucky, most of the hot water went into the sink and not over my feet, but it has made me think......those of you with OA, how do you strain veg? Some veg I can pick out of the hot water with tongs, but, not for example, peas.

Help, please.
(and just in case it’s relevant, it was only a pan of potatoes for one)
Amber
Registered

Re: Arthritis

Postby Zosherooney » March 7th, 2018, 10:12 pm

I don't have OA but have started to get achey hands and joints. I have in my kitchen some large plastic spoons with holes.... I tend to use them for straining poached eggs out of the pan but could be used for veg.

Glad to hear you did not scold yourself
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby Amber » March 7th, 2018, 10:18 pm

That’s how mine started Zosh. I went to GP for something else and just happened to mention occasional pain around thumb joints and GP jumped on it. Partly because I never go to GP, I tend to think most things will get better on their own. X-rays have confirmed it. :(
But Ibuleve Max is good :) .
Amber
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » March 8th, 2018, 1:06 am

Since my fractures and lack of mobility in my leading arm I have resorted to using slotted spoons to lift veg out of boiling water. I have lost count how many times I have nearly come a cropper draining in a colander or using the saucepan lid tilted at an angle to let the water pour down the sink. Weakness can strike out of the blue carrying out the simplest of tasks, can't it?

My biggest friend for any veg is my hob top Pyrex one tier steamer. Not only for veg but for fish too. No need to go near the water underneath until it has cooled down.

Ibuprofen gel is also my friend, not only on my fractured parts but also on my often painful 'clicky' thumb joints. I fear arthritis is in its early stages in my hands but for now the gel seems to help a lot.

I hope you find a solution and continue to remain injury free!
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » March 8th, 2018, 6:31 am

Ask if you can get a referral to an Occupational Therapist, this is their area of expertise.

Moira
When life gives you lemons, make sorbet
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » March 8th, 2018, 8:57 am

As you know Amber I have fairly severe arthritis - It's been part of my life since before I was 40. I also have a tame husband who can't cook but is very good at lifting heavy pans and doesn't usuaally tip hcook veg or anythingot water over himself. He is also invaluable for opening jars and bottles.

Seriously though you might find it helpful to cook things like veg in a metal basket or use a steamer then it can be lifted clear of the water and placed on a pad of kitchen paper to avoid drips while being transferred to the sink/serving dish/ plate Some of the Good Grips kitchen tools are very useful and a Screwy Louie is essential for stubborn tops. I don't suffer too much pain, except when it is very damp, but none of my joints works very well - doesn't help because I was what used to be called double jointed and therefore very prone to joint problems in later life. I wish someone had told me when i was young and overusing them.
Je pense, donc je suis. - Decartes
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » March 8th, 2018, 9:36 am

Just a suggestion, but do you have any pots with handles on either side ? That way, when you lift the pan off the hob, you spread the weight to both hands. Personally, I rarely boil anything in a saucepan on the hob any more as I use my Instant Pot for veg, or else invest in the steamer bags for the microwave.
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby liketocook » March 8th, 2018, 10:37 am

I don't have OA but can't always balance enough to drain safely. I have an insert (came with my pressure cooker) with holes and a handle so use that so I can just lift it out and pop in a bowl beside the pan. I steam veg so I don't have to drain it. I also have few spider strainers in various sizes like this https://www.amazon.co.uk/Utensils-Kitch ... der+spoons which are really handy for fishing things out of pans.
liketocook
Registered

Postby StokeySue » March 8th, 2018, 11:04 am

The spider skimmers work very well for me
My arthritis hasn't spread to my hands, but my right hand has been damaged and the grip is dodgy, I'm nearly blind in my right eye and my eyesight is poor generally
I just find it's quicker in the long run to be very sytematic, to cut out the chances for things to go wrong. So draining potatoes becomes
1. Turn off heat
2. Put colander in sink
3. Remove pan lid and put it out of the way
4. Pick up pan with both hands
5. Tip into colander

Just can't try to do it all in one movement, it's not safe

I also agree that pans with two handles or a helper handle are better
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby miss mouse » March 8th, 2018, 1:46 pm

I do that Sue and I don't have arthritis yet...
miss mouse
Registered

Postby WWordsworth » March 8th, 2018, 6:34 pm

I do that too, I don't have arthritis in my hands but I find this a safe and efficient way of draining pans.

My mother always used a slotted spoon with her veg, never a colander.
WWordsworth
Registered

Postby Amber » March 8th, 2018, 11:07 pm

Two handled pans don’t help much, OH has suggested a steamer, (we gave our electric one away years ago), but the second prize for best answer goes to Rats and liketocook, for the pressure cooker pans. Simple and easy! The first prize for the best answer goes to Moira, because....my daughter is an OT :shock: ;) :D :D ! Why didn’t I think of that? (Although she has moved on since then)
Sometimes the obvious solutions are just staring you in the face. Thank you for all your suggestions, and any others for future problems. At least lifting a wine glass is still easy, although the very fashionable large G&T balloons are sometimes difficult.
Amber
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » March 9th, 2018, 9:03 am

I've got a half litre sports bottle with a suck-up-able straw for my wine. I don't even have to pick it up. Just lean forward and slurp. :grin:

That's a bit of a joke, but seriously, glad you have found solutions that suit you. :hi5:
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » March 9th, 2018, 10:30 am

Amber, our Danish friend Kai, suffers from a familial inherited tremor but he had mastered the art of both pouring and drinking wine!
You can always use two hands like he does - for the drinking that is :lol:
Je pense, donc je suis. - Decartes
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby Amber » March 9th, 2018, 9:31 pm

I can usually be very inventive - I work with a group of people with various disabilities. We can be very (!) inventive. :) :D
It’s fun! :D
Amber
Registered

Postby scullion » March 10th, 2018, 12:52 am

you can get stainless steel pan inserts from ikea (like the ones that came in the old high dome pressure cooker).
scullion
Registered

Postby Amber » March 10th, 2018, 9:28 pm

I think my 40+yr old pressure cooker is still in the depths of the pantry.
But an excuse to go to Ikea is good. :D :D
Amber
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » March 10th, 2018, 9:33 pm

Having just bought a 2nd hand PC on Ebay and found it has a circular tray with holes in and a divider (thirds) then a gadget with which you lift the tray out, I find that it will fit my AMC pans. That will be a great help in either situation :tu:
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby Hope » March 11th, 2018, 8:31 am

I don't have OA, but due to my joint condition I've been advised to use wrist splints when lifting pans (do you do that already?) I actually use a steamer, and then leave the water to cool with the lid on (or get hubby to tip it out). But another option is to cook the veg in a chip frying basket, lift that out to strain them, then pour the water out when it's cooled.
Hope
Registered

Postby Amber » March 11th, 2018, 9:58 pm

I do have splints (an ‘odd’ pair, thanks nhs :( ), but I’m sure a trip to Lakeland will be beneficial. :D

And whatever I buy will be easier to carry home than the large heated drier OH and I walked home with on a windy day. Not our best idea! ;) :D
Amber
Registered

Return to The Coffee Shop