Pork crackling

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Pork crackling

Postby Amber » March 11th, 2018, 10:28 pm

My OH bought a small M&S pork joint last week. It came complete with a small sachet of crackling crumbs. Has anyone seen this available to buy anywhere? My crackling cooking skills aren’t up to making it myself.
Amber
Registered

Re: Pork crackling

Postby Catherine » March 11th, 2018, 11:37 pm

Catherine
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » March 12th, 2018, 9:50 am

The French don't do crackling Amber - all the more for me! I have had to train the butcher to sell me belly pork with the skin still on !!!!!!!That took several attempts but they got it eventually. I score it myself, using a Stanley knife, then rub it with salt and a little olive oil. I then cook the meat in a roasting tin with a small amount of white wineand some fresh herbs. I cook it at about 130C doe 4 hours - this can be done the day before. Then whack up the heat to 220C and blast it in the oven for about half an hour until the crackling is just that.

I took a photo once for Jean- Claude, the butcher, and a piece of the crackling and ever in the shopyone really liked it.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » March 12th, 2018, 4:55 pm

I like the thought of a crackling crumb! I’ll look out for it.

A secret to good crackling is making sure it’s very dry before you start to cook it. I’ve been known to get the hairdryer on it for a minute or two before it goes in the oven. Also, finishing the joint under a hot grill for the last couple of minutes really helps the cracking to puff up.
OneMoreCheekyOne
Registered

Postby Amber » March 12th, 2018, 9:23 pm

Thank you Catherine, I’d googled and not found anything. I’ll keep an eye out for that (unfortunately not available in Waitrose); but after reading the webpage, I wondered if I could just ‘crumb’ ready made pork crackling. Nice and easy. (and I get to keep my teeth in one piece! :D )

Thanks for other suggestions, I have tried them in the past, sometimes it ‘happens’, sometimes it doesn’t. :?
Amber
Registered

Postby Catherine » March 12th, 2018, 11:52 pm

Amber you can buy it direct from then
https://www.snafflingpig.co.uk/products ... ling-crumb
Catherine
Registered

Postby StokeySue » March 13th, 2018, 9:33 am

I wonder how different it is from crumbled pork scratchings? :?

I saw someone on TV the other day make crackling by cooking the skin between two heavy oven trays, seen that before, might try it
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby suffolk » March 13th, 2018, 12:47 pm

A pub we sometimes visit on our way to MIL does regular pub grub plus Thai food ... the combination of kitchen cultures sometimes results in somewhat idiosyncratic meals ... their slow roast pork belly has the crackling removed from the joint and deepfried ...... it puffs up and is so light and crisp ... but TBH I prefer it a bit more traditionally ... crunchy with a hint of chewiness. :chopells:

The usual accompaniment to their braised lamb shank in red wine is a salad of iceberg lettuce.
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby cooksalot » March 13th, 2018, 4:19 pm

I’ve had the little sachet of crackling crumbs with the pulled pork joint from M &S. I’ve never seen them for sale as a stand alone item. Delicious as it is, real crackling is too risky for me and OH now, have to think of the dentist bills!
cooksalot
Registered

Postby karadekoolaid » March 15th, 2018, 9:02 am

Over here it´s usually deep fried, so it turns crispy all over. It´s then sold in huge chunks at the corner kiosks.
" Bite off more than you can chew, then chew like Hell!"
karadekoolaid
Registered

Return to The Coffee Shop