Feed the birds.. or not?

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Feed the birds.. or not?

Postby Herbidacious » March 12th, 2018, 11:37 am

I was aware of the pox thing, and I do run my feeders through the dishwasher every now and again... but maybe not often enough.

I should probably buy new ones so I always have a clean dry one ready while I am washing the other.

I think Hickybank mentioned that his goldfinches were wiped out at one point?

Re: Feed the birds.. or not?

Postby suffolk » March 12th, 2018, 11:59 am

I wash/scrub/disinfect our feeders a couple of times a year ... greenfinches seem to be making a comeback in this area at least and I hear Gt tits around here most days.
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf

Postby aero280 » March 12th, 2018, 1:28 pm

I read the article this morning. It suggests letting them run empty every couple of days, and moving them around of there's no pile of dropped seeds underneath, among all the bird poo. As well as cleaning them.

So maybe not the thing to put in front of a window for an aged relative to look at. Or at least, not the same window.
Site Admin

Postby hickybank » March 13th, 2018, 10:15 am

Yes herby I did I found 3 dead in my garden & sent them away for analysis to the BTO & it was confirmed they had died from trichomonosis.
The advice was to take down all my feeders & disinfect but to leave it 6 weeks to allow other sick birds to die before returning feeders for them.
I found it very distressing, all is o/k again although I have now moved away.
The video below shows the symptoms,but don't watch if you think it will upset you though

http://nurturing-nature.co.uk/wildlife- ... oms-video/
Common sense is not so common
A brain is as strong as it's weakest think

Postby earthmaiden » March 13th, 2018, 10:41 am

I used to clean mine regularly but in a small garden there is only so much space to move the feeders round. I loved feeding the birds but what with the illnesses and then the rats who come and eat the food I wonder sometimes if it is the right thing in all but the coldest weather. I sometimes think it is incredible how so many creatures have managed to survive for thousands of years without human intervention - but it is probably because of human intervention that we have to help them out now :rolleyes:

Return to The Coffee Shop