Chatterbox LXXXI - Rodney

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Re: Chatterbox LXXXI - Rodney

Postby TeresaFoodie » May 15th, 2018, 7:48 am

Morning everyone,

It promises to be a very pleasant day weather wise. No decorating today, my arms need a day off so I think my mum is coming over and we'll go to Tesco to return some clothing items and I need to pick up some salad stuff and potatoes. Ooh, Jersey Royals! I would also like to pick up a couple of mint plants for my kitchen windowsill. We might have to do a detour to B&M for those.

Enjoy your day folks!
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby icelesley » May 15th, 2018, 8:06 am

I am thinking about a window ledge herb garden. I thought maybe mint, parsley basil and chives to start with, I have rosemary and thyme in the garden. The only thing I find is basil tend to flop a bit, maybe I will put it all outside :?:
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway. Image ImageImage
icelesley
Registered

Postby suffolk » May 15th, 2018, 8:31 am

Good morning all :D :mug:

Fascinating 'A Life Scientific' on R4 this morning ... https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0b2jdxj :D

OH is sorting out the car ... I've got the last bits in the wash ... then a quick tidy of the house and tomorrow is Packing Day!!! :bounce: 8-)

Must drop a note next door about feeding hedgehogs and keeping an eye on things .......
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » May 15th, 2018, 9:01 am

icelesley wrote: I didn't realise how much I was missing by going to work .
It is amazing how much time work takes up :D
Back from the big supermarket, mangoes are on special offer so I will be chutney making tomorrow, this afternoon will taken up with the I word. Apricots and cherries were both expensive and imported so those can wait until next week.

I cannot remember who it was but a Wildie has a Mother or MIL who plays the ukulele. There is now an Episcopi Ukulele Band, they are performing on the same bill as a couple of local choirs at the Pissouri Amphitheatre at the end of the month

Moira
When life gives you lemons, make sorbet
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby suffolk » May 15th, 2018, 9:05 am

cyprusmoira wrote:I cannot remember who it was but a Wildie has a Mother or MIL who plays the ukulele.

It's my MIL :D http://ukuleleorchestraofspalding.co.uk/
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby StokeySue » May 15th, 2018, 9:28 am

Good morning
Apparently while in my day we all learned the recorder at school to teach us to read music, now it's the ukelele in many local schools. Sounds more fun to me!
Lovely day here will walk to Westfield
Icey I've been meaning to do this for weeks, but between weather and other things to do haven't got a round tuit yet
Have a goid day everone
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » May 15th, 2018, 9:53 am

Here is Lucy before and after her makeover. She has become my shadow, following me everywhere I go ;) I have started taking her out for a walk, but doing the same one at the moment so she gets to know where she is going. She is calming down a bit on the lead and when we get to the park I put her on the extending lead so she can run around a bit (usually in circles, then doubling back behind me ! :lol: ) She does sit on command indoors, but on our walk, her mind is all over the place and she doesn't even hear her name. Small steps though
Attachments
Lucybefore.jpg
Lucy before her makeover
Lucyafter.jpg
Lucy after a trip to the beautician
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby mum-at-the-oven » May 15th, 2018, 10:20 am

I Love Lucy! :luv:
mum-at-the-oven
Registered

Postby suffolk » May 15th, 2018, 10:21 am

What a complete poppet :luv:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby liketocook » May 15th, 2018, 10:33 am

Good morning everyone,
Lucy is just gorgeous :luv: :luv:

It's sort of sunny and sort of cloudy here with a bit of drizzle forecast for this afternoon. I'm not sure how much I'll get done today as had a rubbish night though I'm less wonky this morning. My deck is covered in bedding plants hardening off, next door's cat has had a thorough inspection of each container :lol: I must remember to bring them all in later!
liketocook
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » May 15th, 2018, 10:55 am

The makeover has transformed Lucy a treat! :luv:

We're in Costa where I am enjoying a cortada, although it is served in a strange glass cup with no handle...
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby jrc » May 15th, 2018, 11:00 am

Lucy is gorgeous :luv:

Patsy, we have exactly the same problem with moo. We have spent literally thousands of pounds and hours training her. We took her to puppy training classes, then paid for three behaviourists on a one to one basis. The third one never came back :terrified: :lol: :lol: :lol:

She is perfectly well behaved in our company but take her out and she is so hyper she loses all focus and as you say any stimulus is too distracting for her.

We have had her since she was about six / seven weeks and she will now be eight in October. Training her every day for all this time and we haven't got past the basics. :oops:

I don't expect she will improve much but at least she is not aggressive in any way shape or form just the opposite. :)
jrc
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » May 15th, 2018, 11:23 am

jrc wrote:I don't expect she will improve much but at least she is not aggressive in any way shape or form just the opposite.

I think that just about sums up Lucy perfectly. At least she is quite small and can be controlled on the lead to some extent. ;)
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby jrc » May 15th, 2018, 11:39 am

PatsyMFagan wrote:
jrc wrote:I don't expect she will improve much but at least she is not aggressive in any way shape or form just the opposite.

I think that just about sums up Lucy perfectly. At least she is quite small and can be controlled on the lead to some extent. ;)

Hmm.moo is over 40lb of solid muscle :scared:
jrc
Registered

Postby Meganthemog » May 15th, 2018, 1:56 pm

What a cute little dog Lucy is! I think she's landed on her feet with a home with you Patsy!
Meganthemog
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » May 15th, 2018, 2:00 pm

Afternoon everyone :wave
Brief interlude in hostessing. S-i-l and OH arrived looking like drowned rats yesterday having driven through snow and torrential rain. It took us ages to dry them and the car out.

Thank goodness the weather is better today so we took them, in our car, to a local winery and then on to our favourite crystalised fruit place where the owner gave them a guided tour and tasting. then on to a favourite restaurant where we had a lovely simple lunch. They couldn't believe the reasonable price for the quality- this particular place has a 3 course weekday lunch for under €20.00.
Je pense, donc je suis. - Decartes
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby Busybee » May 15th, 2018, 2:23 pm

Patsy, Lucy looks a real sweetie - so cute. I bet you are wrapped around her paw already!

Others may not agree, but I wouldn’t use an extendable lead, it’s more difficult to control. Try her on her normal lead when at the park, she might be better on it.

BB
Busybee
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » May 15th, 2018, 3:15 pm

Back with some salad ingredients courtesy of my mum, including red little gem lettuce. Reduced to clear, 50p for two. Never seen red ones on sale anywhere before. They were still cheaper than regular little gems and won't last long! I also popped in to see my jolly greengrocer about mint plants. He doesn't usually sell them, although he does sell tomato plants, sweet peas and other bedding plants and hanging baskets. He'll add mint to the list of things he will discuss when he speaks to his supplier tomorrow. :grin:
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby suffolk » May 15th, 2018, 3:20 pm

Busybee wrote:Others may not agree, but I wouldn’t use an extendable lead, it’s more difficult to control. Try her on her normal lead when at the park, she might be better on it.

I agree ... apart from the fact that you have very little control on an extended lead, many dogs feel reassured by the sense of contact with their human that a normal lead gives ... if she's elderly and a bit anxious she may well prefer it. :)
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Seatallan » May 15th, 2018, 4:46 pm

Lucy looks wonderful after her hairdo. It's taken years off her! What a sweetie she is. :luv:
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby StokeySue » May 15th, 2018, 4:54 pm

Lucy looks lovely! :D
It's been a hot sunny day today, I walked along the River Lea Navigation to the Olympic Park, round the Park, and into Westfield shopping city. Did some shopping, got what I wanted, well, Iv had to order my new sun hat but had a nice sensible assistant so we are pretty sure of the size
I didn't expect it to be such a scorcher so I started out with a flannel shirt over my sleeveless top, soon took it off so hope ny shoulders haven't caught the sun, iq only sun screened my face
The sunken garden in the Olympic Park is really nice now, and Miss Youmg's primary class were making full use of it, spotting insects and flowers
Walked 8 km to get there
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby aero280 » May 15th, 2018, 5:26 pm

Sunny in Dover. Thick fog in Calais. Continent isolated!
http://www.saabtechtalk.com/
aero280
Site Admin

Postby aero280 » May 15th, 2018, 5:26 pm

Sunny in Dover. Thick fog in Calais. Continent isolated!
aero280
Site Admin

Postby earthmaiden » May 15th, 2018, 6:27 pm

A quick :wave:.

Does this mean you're on an isolated Continent aero?

Lucy looks very smart Pat. It will be good to be able to have a good chat with the vet as everything else seems to be going quite well.

Gosh Suffs, I have never seen such planning for a trip! :lol:

Long day on a first aid refresher course the other side of Slough. More tomorrow but I thought it was Thursday as well and it's not which was happy news. I wrestled with the blasted sat nav again this morning until as usual it almost reduced me to tears. Then as I drove along I hit on an idea, stopped off at Sainsburys in Reading at 7am and bought some Blu Tack and secured it in the perfect location - and it worked! No more falling off the windscreen and changing the location in the middle of the motorway - hurrah!
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby aero280 » May 15th, 2018, 7:03 pm

I do appear to be isolated on the continent. The fog is denser now. We can just see across the hotel car park! Hope it’s clear by the morning we have 450 miles to drive! :o
aero280
Site Admin

Postby PatsyMFagan » May 15th, 2018, 7:30 pm

Busybee wrote:Others may not agree, but I wouldn’t use an extendable lead, it’s more difficult to control. Try her on her normal lead when at the park, she might be better on it.

I use a short (normal) lead when we are roadside so I can control her, but I put the extending lead on her at the park so she can move round a bit more and get used to grass too - at which point I am wearing the normal lead round my neck ;) :lol: :rolleyes:

At the moment I am concentrating on Lucy getting used to her local surroundings. I think it may be too late to expect her to take on board formal lead training though (this was the advice from the lady who did her makeover)
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » May 16th, 2018, 5:18 am

Good Morning Wild Ones
StokeySue wrote:The sunken garden in the Olympic Park is really nice now, and Miss Youmg's primary class were making full use of it, spotting insects and flowers
I am glad to read that my tax money has been used properly. I remember that after the Olympics the gardens were opened to the general public. My SIL used her railcard to make a visit

Moira :mug:
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby icelesley » May 16th, 2018, 6:49 am

Good morning wild ones. Lucy looks lovely after her makeover, what a pretty little lady. :luv: Today is overcast and quite cool compared to the last few days, hopefully it will brighten up later, so housework is on the cards until the Sun and garden beckons ;)
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway. Image ImageImage
icelesley
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » May 16th, 2018, 7:19 am

Morning all!
Good to hear of little nature spots in urban environments. There are so many if one looks for them.

Up bright and early to avoid the motorway snarl ups. The course is in a heavenly spot very close to Heathrow and the M4 but feels as rural as somewhere like the Cotswolds with a couple of unspoilt villages, grassy meadows and sheep. A delight in the sun. If you didn't know, you'd never guess where it was!
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » May 16th, 2018, 7:45 am

I have a pan of Mango Chutney (Mamta's recipe) on the hob, the jars are sterilising in oven and I have not managed to get the smell of garlic of my hands, washing up should do that.

Moira
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » May 16th, 2018, 7:46 am

Morning all!

Overcast and quite breezy here today. I did plan to walk to the Downs today but not if it's threatening rain I'm not, so I really have no excuse to put off giving the floors a good scrub. No matter how much I sweep and pick bits of sticky wallpaper up they keep reappearing. Can't wait for carpets where I can just whip the hoover round!

Have fun all!
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » May 16th, 2018, 8:11 am

Morning everyone :wave:
I forgot to say yesterday how cute Lucy is Pat. That little dog has reallt landed on her feet.

We were up early seeing the s-i-l off in a now more or less dry Nash and at least in dry clothes. Of course the sun is shining but I suspect the Mistral will blow uo during the morning in the Rhone Valley which is where they are heading. It seems a bit pointless to us to go rallying around vineyards when you are in a car which is not big enought to carry any wine!

Anyway towels and bedding nearly ready to go outside to dry.

Your walk sounds lovely Sue, I always love to see a class of children out in the openair doing fun things, learning so much but nor even realise theey are doing so.
Je pense, donc je suis. - Decartes
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby StokeySue » May 16th, 2018, 8:51 am

Good morning all
Grey day here, nothing exciting planned, just catching up
If the rain holds off, and we aren't threatened with much, might get some compost and plant up some things
Have a good day everyone
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby suffolk » May 16th, 2018, 9:28 am

Good morning all :D :mug:
Toenails have been painted ... house is clean and tidy ... hedgehog food ready for neighbour to deal with and watering instructions are in the mini greenhouse ... there's not really anything much to water as DD has all the baby plants in her greenhouse .... now there's just the packing to do then in the early hours of tomorrow we'll be heading southwest .... as I do all the driving while OH dozes I'm planning a lazy day today ...
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » May 16th, 2018, 12:15 pm

cyprusmoira wrote:Good Morning Wild Ones
StokeySue wrote:The sunken garden in the Olympic Park is really nice now, and Miss Young's primary class were making full use of it, spotting insects and flowers
I am glad to read that my tax money has been used properly. I remember that after the Olympics the gardens were opened to the general public. My SIL used her railcard to make a visit

And I must do the same ... I have every intention of visiting, but so far not go a round tuit ;) :(
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby liketocook » May 16th, 2018, 12:35 pm

Good afternoon everyone,
Both the sunshine and my oomph have returned today so I've been busy gardening all morning. I had a right :x :x :x moment earlier as I managed to drop a large tray of busy lizzies all over my deck. What a mess! All swept up now and thankfully the plants seem mainly ok. :)
I'm for my feet up with my book and a :mug: for a couple of hours and then it's back to potting on tomatoes.
Quick veggie pasta for dinner tonight.
liketocook
Registered

Postby StokeySue » May 16th, 2018, 2:36 pm

PatsyMFagan wrote:
cyprusmoira wrote:Good Morning Wild Ones
StokeySue wrote:The sunken garden in the Olympic Park is really nice now, and Miss Young's primary class were making full use of it, spotting insects and flowers

And I must do the same ... I have every intention of visiting, but so far not go a round tuit ;) :(

TBH I'm not sure that there is enough to see to merit a special trip unless there is an event or a stadium tour as well. Or, if as I did, you want to visit Westfield Shopping City as well. And I had the river walk I am of course always available for lunch in the vicinity. There's some fairly major building work happening near the stadium, not sure what they are doing and if there will be more to see when it is done

River walk (yes this is the East End of London, Millfields, Hackney)

Poppies (Welsh?) near the stadium

Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » May 16th, 2018, 2:39 pm

Back from Pissouri, someone has given me a large bag of lemons. I am not sure what to do with them but do not worry I know that I shall think of something ;)

Moira
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby suffolk » May 16th, 2018, 2:49 pm

Moira ... make sorbet???? :lol: ;)
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » May 16th, 2018, 2:57 pm

Preserved lemons?
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Meganthemog » May 16th, 2018, 3:11 pm

Lots of gin and tonic with ice and a slice? :lol:
Meganthemog
Registered

Postby suffolk » May 16th, 2018, 6:37 pm

Right. Suitcases in the car ... just refreshments for the journey and our overnight bags to load in the morning. Now I'll doze on the sofa, get an early night and set the alarm for 4:30 ...
Sweet dreams folks 8-)
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » May 16th, 2018, 6:45 pm

Have a lovely holiday suffs! Sweet pre holiday dreams!
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » May 16th, 2018, 6:58 pm

Yes, have a safe journey to the west and a lovely holiday too. :wave:

Patsy, What a transformation....!
Last edited by Zosherooney on May 16th, 2018, 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » May 16th, 2018, 6:58 pm

Visions of a car weighed down with luggage from top to toe Suffs! Hope you have a good trip and lovely holiday.

Lovely pix Sue, as tranquil as my Heathrow meadow earlier :lol: .

First aid refresher done .. and much needed. The last course was 3 years ago and I have never been called to do anything until a few weeks ago :o. I was terrified! Now for a nice sleep. I must get some exercise tomorrow.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » May 16th, 2018, 7:09 pm

Busy Day for us ! Stopped at a local joinery to look at wood for the garage doors. Then to Tesco to fill my car with fuel, use vouchers and a quick look at the clothes as I had a £4 off voucher - bought this https://www.tesco.com/direct/ff-floral- ... 2-6062.prd have yet to try it on.

We then had a 2.5 hour meeting with our land developer and the housing chap. Hugh sigh !!!! This just goes on and on. Seems that the problem is the local borough council !

We got home to find the chippies had done quite a lot of waney edged larch - it is gorgeous ! We are very happy with it.

Only downside today was my driving into the sharp corner of a kerb and resulting of needing a new tyre :x

Tomorrow I need to visit a plumbing shop and choose shower stuff.
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby Grasshopper » May 16th, 2018, 7:23 pm

OMG my last woof was a Yorkie named Lucy! She was a rescue and not a young dog when we took her in, but she had four happy years with us. She thought she was a Pit Bull :luv:
:luv:
Grasshopper
Spring ventures forth to plant the grain
And Summer dries the straw
Autumn gathers in the harvest
And Winter shuts the door

Grasshopper
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » May 16th, 2018, 8:40 pm

One of my cats thinks he's a race horse ! 100mph around the garden, up the stairs - any excuse !
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » May 17th, 2018, 5:16 am

Good Morning Wild Ones, a bag of lemons is never a problem, they have so many uses. However I seem to have caught the bottom of the preserving pan when making mango chutney yesterday, the chutney is a bit dark :rolleyes:

Moira
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » May 17th, 2018, 6:35 am

Morning,

The change in weather from chilly last night with all the windows closed to very warm this morning woke me up gasping for air and very over dressed. A walk will happen today, probably early afternoon, and definitely after I've had another go at getting a strange mark off my otherwise lovely and clean kitchen floor. Do I know how to enjoy myself or what?

Have fun all!
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

PreviousNext

Return to The Coffee Shop