Chatterbox LXXXI - Rodney

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Re: Chatterbox LXXXI - Rodney

Postby suffolk » June 7th, 2018, 7:37 am

Aha ... having looked at the pergola it seems that cement is not needed ... these are what we will need https://www.diy.com/departments/blooma- ... 482_BQ.prd

as the pergola posts aren't long enough to sink very far into the ground ... I knew there was a reason it was cheap (ish) :rolleyes: Never mind, it'll be fine ... it looks great now that OH has painted it a sort of matt "almost black" :D
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » June 7th, 2018, 7:54 am

Morning all!

Don't go overdoing it Zosh!
Was interested to read about the turtles, tourists must be a real hazard now that photographing everything with phones is commonplace.
I would like a pergola. Actually, following a visit to Chelsea a few years ago I know just how I'd like my garden but it would cost a lot and damage relations with the neighbours :).

Grey this morning, the sun arrived eventually yesterday but it was slightly windy. Certainly no heatwave or removal of bedclothes. This is an amazing island for weather variations isn't it!

I was supposed to be back at work today but there are childminding probs with GD so I have done a swap. Child minder is ill and other granny had minor surgery yesterday. Was easier to do it this way than for parents to rearrange complicated days. I am delighted. I have done so well with catching up with odd jobs this week and now have this morning just to finish the most pressing list. It feels so nice not to have those things hanging over me!
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » June 7th, 2018, 8:22 am

Do you mean a rose like this Zosh ? This is my one called Rosamundi .. apparently a very old Rose. Carol Klein has called one of daughters Rosamund because she loves this one so much ...
Attachments
rosamundi.jpg
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby aero280 » June 7th, 2018, 9:31 am

suffolk wrote:Aha ... having looked at the pergola it seems that cement is not needed ... these are what we will need https://www.diy.com/departments/blooma- ... 482_BQ.prd

Give those spikes a coat of something thick and painty! I used some and they rotted faster than the wood. :o
http://www.saabtechtalk.com/
aero280
Site Admin

Postby cyprusmoira » June 7th, 2018, 9:41 am

Thank you for reminding me about Shakshuka , Suffs, we will probably have some next week.
If that it is the same rose as Patsy suggests then it is an old, historic rose, called a Damascus Rose here, The story is that the Crusaders introduced them from Damascus.

The water pipe has gone again, Slava will be up later with replacement parts not just a repair. Luckily the washing machine had finished its cycle.

Moira
When life gives you lemons, make sorbet
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby scullion » June 7th, 2018, 9:51 am

we have used a similar product called 'metpost'. they are galvanised and coated and seem to have lasted for decades in our garden.
they seem to be sold at b and q also.
scullion
Registered

Postby StokeySue » June 7th, 2018, 10:13 am

PatsyMFagan wrote:Do you mean a rose like this Zosh ? This is my one called Rosamundi .. apparently a very old Rose. Carol Klein has called one of daughters Rosamund because she loves this one so much ...

I love rosa mundi, the smell is gorgeous, there was an immaculate roadside ladies loo in Cuba where she used a single rosa mundi as an air freshener, it was the only thing you coukd smell.

Feeling a bit like I might have done enough yesterday, next few days are calmer so may try to get on with using my new document reader to do some filing, it's a good daylight for that too

Have a good day everyone
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » June 7th, 2018, 10:57 am

Talking of highly perfumed plants... yesterday while I was doing some retail therapy round my local GC, I turned a corner and could smell coconut (I love both the smell and taste of coconut ;) ) ... sitting on a bench in the houseplant section were 3 orchids that I recall had been mentioned in one of the programmes attached to the recent Chelsea Flower show - this one featuring an Orchid grower. Of course I had to buy one of these - not cheap (£12.99), but very interesting/unusual and will be well loved. In fact that and finding the Savoury plant thrilled me no end yesterday :) :tu: :bounce:
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby suffolk » June 7th, 2018, 11:10 am

image.jpg

image.jpg

This is the Deben where DS and I were yesterday.
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby suffolk » June 7th, 2018, 11:11 am

Sorry they're upside down folks ... they're the right way up on my phone :rolleyes: Hope you can see how lovely it is there.
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby patpoyntz » June 7th, 2018, 11:32 am

It is lovely....we visit Aldeburgh quite often, and just love it down there....in fact we love the whole of the Suffolk and Norfolk coast. Our happiest crab sandwiches are eaten at Brancaster Staithe!
patpoyntz
Registered

Postby Gruney » June 7th, 2018, 12:07 pm

suffolk wrote:Sorry they're upside down folks ... they're the right way up on my phone :rolleyes: Hope you can see how lovely it is there.

Looks like you've been on the Smanda, Suffs.
Gruney
Registered

Postby suffolk » June 7th, 2018, 12:18 pm

:oops: :rolleyes:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » June 7th, 2018, 12:50 pm

Could I remind Wildfoodies to start thinking of girls' names starting with S

Moira
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby suffolk » June 7th, 2018, 1:12 pm

― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » June 7th, 2018, 1:37 pm

Deb is making Scotch Eggs, oven baked not deep fried. We are going to a military band concert at Pissouri amphitheatre tomorrow evening, cushions essential, cool boxes welcome. It is the only place that I have seen picnicking as a competitive sport. The local supermarket will run out of smoked salmon, there will be sausage rolls everywhere, quiches are being baked as I type. The drinks, cold of course, range from water to champagne via beer. Somewhere in the middle of all this we shall have some music.
The real competition will be in a weeks time, a fund raiser for RDA held at Flag Staff House. It is the Residence, I use that word deliberately, of which ever senior officer is in charge of British Forces. There are proper chairs and tables, a very superior raffle and much posher food such as individual tartlets not quiche. The same band will play but a different repertoire

Moira
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby scullion » June 7th, 2018, 1:46 pm

cyprusmoira wrote:Deb is making Scotch Eggs, oven baked not deep fried. We are going to a military band concert at Pissouri amphitheatre tomorrow evening, cushions essential, cool boxes welcome. It is the only place that I have seen picnicking as a competitive sport.
Moira

the minack is another competitive picnic site! (though mainly in the non 'friends' seating).
we normally take a pasty and beer.
today, my partner has asked for hummus and 'sticks' so i have filled a tiffin box with hummus, tapenade and guacamole - not that i find hummus boring but i like a variation.
and beer.

we often see picnic hampers with real glasses and champoo.
scullion
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » June 7th, 2018, 2:00 pm

Afternoon everyone :wave:

We have spent the morning doing the tourist thing - fruits confits, wine co-op and Roman bridge and finished up having lunch at a local restaurant which we haven't visited for a while. This was a bit of a necessity because one of our first choices was "exceptionally" closed for 4 days, this is the 3rd time this has happened at this restaurant. The second choice said it was open , but when we rang to book it was closed and we left a message, as there was still no reply we concluded the same or worse had happened here. So we took a chance and very wise it was. We had a lovely fresh seasonal lunch at a very reasonable price.

We will go again soon. Isn't it strange how often something which seems like a problem turn out to be a real find?

I hope water pipes get fixed and pergolas errected.
Je pense, donc je suis. - Decartes
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » June 7th, 2018, 2:00 pm

I'm back from a much longer trip to town than anticipated. I discovered a rattle from the exhaust area, and I need a new tyre, it will be in tomorrow but I might leave it until next week. Smoke detector now works..... :D For those that need to know....... Lidls are selling 3kg bags of plain flour for £1.79 or 2 for £2 !!! Also found a reasonable linen type jacket for Mr. Z. for £6.99, I hope it fits and he might even wear it up to London for our trip to see Jamie.. for our anniversary.

I have a plethora of Melons, these have been shared out between lovely neighbours, cat sitters and builders and some for my lunch.

EM I walked very leisurely around town :tu: :tu: Until it rained. :x

I can't for the life of me remember how to resize photos so will post my Raspberry Ripple when Mr. Z. is home...
Last edited by Zosherooney on June 7th, 2018, 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby StokeySue » June 7th, 2018, 2:08 pm

cyprusmoira wrote:It is the only place that I have seen picnicking as a competitive sport.

Kenwood House outdoor concerts You could take your own or pre-order them from the Waitrose stand, dahling

It is in Hampstead after all :lol:

Less concerts now since some of the neighbours complained, which I thought was very unreasonable, if you buy a house within earshot of a place already internationally famous for having less than a dozen out door concerts a year, what on earth do you expect on those 6-12 evenings?
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » June 7th, 2018, 2:17 pm

scullion wrote:we often see picnic hampers with real glasses and champoo.

They do appear but are deemed to be "going too far" as "it is Cyprus, after all"
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » June 7th, 2018, 2:49 pm

cyprusmoira wrote:Could I remind Wildfoodies to start thinking of girls' names starting with S

Moira

I don't think this will go down too well, but with the World Cup starting next week perhaps we could have a Russian name? I quite like Svetlana!

I've been on another three hour walk, popped into Aldi and Asda for bits I forgot to get in Sainsbury's yesterday, plus a jar of 'lazy' fresh coriander (I haven't seen that on sale anywhere for months!) and some sun dried tomato pesto and a jar of pickled onions. The highlight of my walk was definitely a delightful stroll through Grove House Gardens. There were lots of picnickers enjoying the sunshine, stretched out on the lawn, so I had a sit on a bench and was immediately accosted by six inquisitive grey squirrels. They're not timid at all! I will now try to convince my mum to bring my littlest nephew over for a picnic on the grass soon while we have the weather for it. :bounce:

I'm in for the rest of the day. My trotters need a rest! :grin:
Last edited by TeresaFoodie on June 7th, 2018, 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby suffolk » June 7th, 2018, 3:14 pm

Oooh, I like Svetlana :tu:

I also like Scotch Eggs ... I shall consider making some next week ... :tu:

Pergola perfection has not yet been attained :rolleyes: OH is having another cup of tea :rolleyes: ... what is more the measurements shown on the diagram do not conform to the actual measurements of the assembled pergola ... consequently the garden bench will not fit between its legs ... we will need a new and smaller bench :rolleyes:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » June 7th, 2018, 3:19 pm

Surely that should be Camandaria or Retsina Moira ???? ;)
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby scullion » June 7th, 2018, 3:53 pm

suffolk wrote:Oooh, I like Svetlana :tu:

I also like Scotch Eggs ...

i'd have been really miffed if i'd been called scotch eggs!
scullion
Registered

Postby suffolk » June 7th, 2018, 4:02 pm

Was there any likelihood of that Scully ...? ;)
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby scullion » June 7th, 2018, 4:08 pm

well, if she was thinking of calling me sherry at one point goodness knows what bar snack my mother would have given me as a middle name! i would have elected for deed poll if pork scratchings had been on the menu!
scullion
Registered

Postby suffolk » June 7th, 2018, 4:23 pm

Sherry Stuffed Olive ... Sherry Pickled Gherkin ... Sherry Nuts ... there's a world of options ...

Apparently Ma wanted me to be just Jane ... Pa insisted on naming me ... he said that she could call me what she wanted ... he would always call me "Araminta" ........ so Araminta I am ;)
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby StokeySue » June 7th, 2018, 4:50 pm

My uncle was called after his father, AH Smith
He was always known as John, but granny felt that John Smith was too plain
I always considered his life would have been slightly easier if she'd added John in there somewhere

I had a Turkish friend called Sherifa years ago who decided that she preferred Sherry, as it was more English. We all tried to convince her that Sherry was more Birds of a Feather Essex that desirable English and that Sherifa was just exotic enough to be classy.
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » June 7th, 2018, 6:41 pm

scullion wrote:
suffolk wrote:Oooh, I like Svetlana :tu:

I also like Scotch Eggs ...

i'd have been really miffed if i'd been called scotch eggs!

:lol:

I knew I was named by my dad and my sister was named by my mum. My name came from Saint Teresa of Avila for some reason; I think he just liked the name. I am so glad her name did not contain an 'h'! An 'h' should not be there! I was almost Charlotte in memory of a stillborn in the family some years before but my mum didn't like the thought of it being shortened to Charlie! My dad just told me that had I been a boy I would probably have been Richard if he'd had his way. Following on from a long line of Teddys on my mum's side (not short for Edward!) I could have ended up a Teddy! Interesting subject I think, names. At school we all had food related nicknames starting with the initial of our first name. Mine was Treacle Chutney! Better than the name of my character in a school play - Pick Nose Pete! Thanks for that! :lol:
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Grasshopper » June 7th, 2018, 7:19 pm

Susan, Sarah, Shirley, Sheila, Samantha, .........
Anybode about - or will I miss the birth?
:?:
Grasshopper
Spring ventures forth to plant the grain
And Summer dries the straw
Autumn gathers in the harvest
And Winter shuts the door

Grasshopper
Registered

Postby Grasshopper » June 7th, 2018, 7:39 pm

Aw come on - where is everybode?
:(
Grasshopper

Grasshopper
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » June 7th, 2018, 7:45 pm

I've never seen a birth before, I might catch this one!
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Grasshopper » June 7th, 2018, 7:52 pm

I don't think I will - 'cos it's nearly time I was in my pit.
:( :(
Grasshopper

Grasshopper
Registered

Postby Grasshopper » June 7th, 2018, 8:18 pm

Looks like I'll miss the birth -again.
If only it were Friday night and not Thursday *sigh*
Nit nit :hug:
:(
Grasshopper

Grasshopper
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » June 7th, 2018, 8:53 pm

Hoping to pop in and out without being whisked away to the maternity unit :scared:

Looks as though it's been a good day for most. Like the pix Suffs, do the new flats overlooking the water by the station look nice?

Glad you had a nice walk Tezza. The grey squirrels in our local park are very tame and run up to you too. I preferred it when they were more timid, that was before people started feeding them. They can give such a nasty nip yet people encourage small children to offer them nuts and things by hand. Crazy if you ask me!

Busy day with GD then yoga. It rained so we didn't go out - except for a walk up the garden. Sorry you got caught in it Zosh! Back to work for a rest tomorrow.

I was nearly called Morag.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby suffolk » June 7th, 2018, 9:57 pm

Tucked up under the duvet ... need my rest as there are impromptu plans for some Wildies to eat fish & chips on the beach tomorrow :bounce:
Sweet dreams folks ...
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » June 8th, 2018, 5:11 am

Good Morning Wild Ones. Effie, our cleaner will not be here today, she is in Crete with Hari, her youngest son. They are staying in Chania so that Hari can enrol in college there. We are not sure what sort of course he intends to take but we think that it is something to do with the merchant navy. I had hoped that he would be the first of his family to go to university but if he is happier doing that, OK. Interestingly it was the Cypriot National Guard who suggested that he apply. Hari has been doing his compulsory national service, there is obviously some one there giving vocational advice.
Both RyanAir and Cobalt Air fly to Crete, it is a popular short break destination from here.

Moira :mug:
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby suffolk » June 8th, 2018, 6:12 am

Good morning all :D :mug:

I think there's a lot to be said for a well-structured vocational course these days Moira. Hope all goes well for Hari.

Overcast here ... OH has just set off to W'rose on his bike as we have somehow run out of milk and there's no steri on the garage shelves ... There was just enough milk for our morning cuppas! Phew!
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » June 8th, 2018, 6:17 am

Just off to Pissouri for our Friday Mah Jong session, Will there be a birth by the time I get back ;)

Moira
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » June 8th, 2018, 6:42 am

Morning all,

Very overcast here, and I feel a possible cold coming on. Either that or I over did things yesterday. I might be seeing my mum today so Sainsbury's cafe could feature! I think it's breakfast time.

Have good days all!
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby suffolk » June 8th, 2018, 6:57 am

Tezza ... I prescribe a steaming hot coffee, a jam doughnut and a happy lazy day. A cure for all ills :D
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby icelesley » June 8th, 2018, 7:00 am

Morning wild ones. I would say good but what a night :rolleyes: OH was watching football last night, so went to bed to watch the other side. Pillows plumped up, TV on, I fell asleep around 8.15, I woke up at 9pm, thought it was morning and I had overslept. I got up, made the bed, cleaned my teeth and went down stairs to ask OH why he let me sleep in until 9am. He said it's 9pm. :oops: :oops: :oops: I said I had cleaned my teeth and got dressed, he said did you have a shower :lol: :lol: :lol: NO, I was going to water the garden before I had a shower :oops: :oops: so back to bed I went, decided to read, but kept dropping off. Then I was awake every hour all night :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: OH thinks its hilarious :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway. Image ImageImage
icelesley
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » June 8th, 2018, 7:24 am

Oh Icey! Those sort of stories are always funny (unless it happens to you!).

I second the coffee and doughnut diet :lol:.

Back at work today .. chilly under the air con as usual :evil: .
Just remembered we're nearly due a birth so had better run. We are already close to one with one of our staff members here ... and I'm a first aider. We didn't cover that in the training!
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Gruney » June 8th, 2018, 7:25 am

icelesley wrote:OH thinks its hilarious

Sorry - but so do I :lol:
Gruney
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » June 8th, 2018, 7:47 am

Gruney wrote:
icelesley wrote:OH thinks its hilarious

Sorry - but so do I :lol:

Me too, sorry!

Better not start the day with a doughnut. I had a fresh cream apple turnover yesterday. :oops:

Come on, puuuuuuuuush!
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » June 8th, 2018, 7:59 am

Horrid very wet drizzle here, Wuzzle has retired to his chair for the day, Mr Scrump is out somewhere.... Gridge is behind my shoe rack in the wardrobe in the dark !! Chippies have arrived just waiting for the sparkys and water chaps.

Tomatoes and courgettes watered but the drizzle would not be enough anyway. I need to take the sleeves up on Mr. Z.'s new jacket, body and length of it are fine, he must have very short arms !
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby suffolk » June 8th, 2018, 8:30 am

Watering done outside ... I've had my shower and now it's time for :mug: then I'll pull some rhubarb for the Chinches :D OH is outside working on the pergola ... we'll be leaving here at about 11 ish (or a bit after) to meet the Chinches on the pier at 12.30 :hi5:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby StokeySue » June 8th, 2018, 8:38 am

Good morning
I feel asleep on the sofa last night while listening to my audio book, woke up about 2am and went to bed. The problem will be in locating where to start again in the book - not far from where I started last night I think!

I've taken out to thaw a lovely piece of brisket, about 1.4 kg / 3 lb. I'll cook it tommorrow, but slichtly undecided what to do with it.

Thoughts?

Bettergo and wash before the courier and the roofer turn up, have a good day
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby suffolk » June 8th, 2018, 8:41 am

Oooh .. a piece of brisket ... that's an idea for the weekend ... there's a very good butcher in Cromer ... pot roasted with veg for the first meal then pressed so it slices nice and firmly for salads and sarnies ....
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

PreviousNext

Return to The Coffee Shop