Chatterbox LXXXI - Rodney

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Re: Chatterbox LXXXI - Rodney

Postby Ratatouille » May 10th, 2018, 7:57 am

Morning everyone :wave:
I was right, we lost power and internet just after I had postedlast night. Power came on aain just before Top of the Shop. My money was on the chocolate too. That Biltong looked horrendous.

We have thick fog this morning but I am hoping the sun may eventually break through - it is after all, that rare event - a Bank Holiday :rolleyes:

I've got a guest room bed to make up. Mr R's sister and partner are coming down at the weekend in their Frazer Nash to take part in a rally based at Vacqueras which starts on Wednesday. I fear they are going to get wet.
Je pense, donc je suis. - Decartes
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » May 10th, 2018, 8:22 am

jrc wrote:Any thought?
Personally I would varnish it in its natural colour then brighten it with pots of geraniums or other colourful flowers, you could put the pots on the steps. Pots allow you to change the flowers with the seasons.
Deb has a cactus table, the cacti are moved as they come into flower, this weeks' flowers are bright pink

Moira
When life gives you lemons, make sorbet
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby jrc » May 10th, 2018, 8:24 am

Moira :hug:
That never crossed my mind, thank you :hug:
jrc
Registered

Postby liketocook » May 10th, 2018, 9:18 am

Good morning everyone,
I woke up to a bit of a mess this morning, one of my hanging basket brackets had broken. :( Cue me still in my nightwear rescuing plants. I think they are more or less ok and I'll replant them later. Thankfully yesterday's wind & rain has departed though it is still decidedly on the chilly side.

jrc - I'd second what Moira suggested :)
liketocook
Registered

Postby jrc » May 10th, 2018, 9:19 am

It would certainly make it easier :hug:
jrc
Registered

Postby scullion » May 10th, 2018, 9:52 am

bob has taste!
isn't it a dog kennel?
scullion
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » May 10th, 2018, 9:56 am

Still in Abu Dhabi :rolleyes:. There was something wrong with the plane so we sat in it all morning, me playing Angry Birds with a young Chinese couple who were sitting next to me. Then they decided it was a dead loss so we all got out and were allowed to choose what we liked for lunch from the food hall.If you can imagine all the passengers from a full international flight all in a food hall at once that's why we each grabbed something from the nearest stall. Waiting to see what happens next now, another plane is supposed to be coming. They certainly handled it better than when something similar happened in the USA a few years ago.

Your idea sounds nice jrc. You will have to decide if you prefer traditional fairground colours and designs or seaside stripes. Might bs worth looking at some traditional work from people who used to work the canals - it would be similar to what you mention.

I think 1976 was the last time in Newton Abbot for me.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby scullion » May 10th, 2018, 10:11 am

i was on a plane in miami a few years back when, after sitting on the runway for quite a while, we were swapped to a different plane due to a problem with the hydraulics - you should have heard the complaints from the rather large and vociferous american passengers about having to swap - surely a safe plane is better than a faulty one!
scullion
Registered

Postby jrc » May 10th, 2018, 10:20 am

scullion wrote:bob has taste!
isn't it a dog kennel?
cheeky. :shock:

Of course he has taste. He married me. :lol: :lol: :lol:
jrc
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » May 10th, 2018, 10:25 am

Quite agree! Once I know there's a problem I don't want to go in the dodgy one (it looks as though we might be :? ). Other passengers were horrible when it happened to me in USA. We've got every nationality under the sun on this flight but no Americans. I haven't seen anyone being obnoxious.

P.S. I thought it was a dog kennel at first too. :oops:
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » May 10th, 2018, 10:28 am

Oh EM :o Any news on your new aircraft? What airline are you using?

Moira
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby Busybee » May 10th, 2018, 10:30 am

It should be bigger.........it would be a great dog kennel!

Personally I’d go green and red, traditional gypsy caravan colours. Google is your friend.

BB
Busybee
Registered

Postby jrc » May 10th, 2018, 10:33 am

I did google but all the designs seemed to intricate for me. My artistic talents don’t stretch that far. :?
jrc
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » May 10th, 2018, 10:43 am

jrc wrote: I told the dentist ( I was having a sedation) I wanted to wake up a size 8 and with a Hollywood smile. He looked at me and said “ I’m a dentist, not a magician “

When I had to have sedation a long time ago I sang to everyone in the waiting room as I was waiting for the effects to wear off. Did the same too when I had a procedure on my left shoulder ... :oops: :lol:
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby Seatallan » May 10th, 2018, 10:50 am

jrc, I think it would make a lovely hedgehog house. :luv: If it were me, I'd stain it a nice, pale, blue-green and leave it as it is.

EM- hope your new plane arrives soon :hug: :hug:
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby StokeySue » May 10th, 2018, 10:55 am

Good morning

jrc, I think if you are going to add stencils as well I'd be inclined to paint all four sides the same dark colour, probably dark green or burgundy but possibly blue, and then pick ot the wheels, steps and the wooden block ends of the roof at the two narrow sides in a brighter colour such as a sunflower yellow, and inceuporate a bit of that in the stencil if possible. Because that would be similar to the Romany vans I saw when I was a child
Not sure about the varnish, I suppose it depends on the kind of paint used for stencilling?

Zosherooney wrote: I chose banana + P nut butter and expresso coffee. £4 :o :o :o

So the usual price then? Espresso £1.30 -£2.00 depending on size, proper ice crean £2 +++ anywher I go
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » May 10th, 2018, 11:13 am

Meet Lucy who I am fostering from the Dog's Trust (I mulled this over for some time before making the decision to apply as a foster carer) .. Lucy is a Yorkie/terrier cross, 13 years old and her very elderly owner has just died after 6 weeks in hospital. Because of her age, the Dog's Trust thought she would be better in a foster home rather than kennels. So, we have both survived the first 24 hours and now Lucy won't let me out of her sight. Consequently she has had to learn how to manage stairs as she previously lived in a mobile home. She is a bit over weight, so I think the stairs will soon sort that out. She is though very smelly (bad teeth/breath ?) and as soon as she is settled more, I am booking her in at the groomer's for a make-over (I am told she is used to this ;) ) She will be going back to the Vet at the DT soon for her teeth to be looked at. She also scratches a lot and chews her feet. I now know that she has always done that and I think she may have Atopic Dermatitis, so another thing for the Vet. The advantage of fostering is that vet fees are covered as well as their food and when I go on holiday, she will go back rather than me have to find a sitter, or boarding kennels. It's a long time since I had a dog, in fact my little whippet had no health concerns at all, so I welcome any advice for you lot who will have much more experience than me.
Attachments
Lucy.jpg
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » May 10th, 2018, 11:28 am

Oh Pat :hug: What a kind, thoughtful person you are! Lucy is just :luv: I have nothing to offer on advice because I have never had a dog or foster animal. Oh, mind you, I suppose I could say cuddles, cuddles and more cuddles, or that could just be too plain obvious! :luv: I wish you and Lucy a very happy new found friendship. :grin:
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » May 10th, 2018, 11:34 am

Yes, Lucy loves being stroked/massaged and grumbles if I stop :tu:
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby Seatallan » May 10th, 2018, 11:50 am

Oh she's gorgeous Patsy! So glad you're looking after her. Will you be able to bear to let her go when she moves to a permanent home? :hug: :hug: :luv:
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » May 10th, 2018, 11:54 am

Gosh, that's a surprise Pat! What a nice thing to do and Lucy looks lovely - and sounds as though she's settling well. It will be interesting to see how you feel about letting go after a while.

The coffee and cake sellers are pressing their wares onto us k owing that many will be tempted by goodies that the airline is paying for and that they will benefit (We just show boarding card and can have what we like). They seem to think they've fixed the plane and we may leave before long. Moira - it's Etihad. I have been impressed so far on the flights and they have been good during this trouble too.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby StokeySue » May 10th, 2018, 12:00 pm

:wave: :wave: :wave: Hello Lucy

Pat she's :luv: and so much better for her to have one fulltime human, having been used to that all her life. I'm sure you will both be happy together. But good that she gets to see the vet, as she's not insurable
No advice other than talk to the vet! And the groomer - Rani used to see a groomer who mainly did dogs though some cat work, and she was a mine of information
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » May 10th, 2018, 12:01 pm

Patsy, So much kinder for an elderly animal than a kennel. I'm assuming she is in your care for the long run?
em I hope the replacement plane turn up soon. Nothing would get me on a plane with suspected faults - well not very much would get me on a plane at all these days :scared:
I like Sea's hedgehog house idea very much. Can hedgehogs climb steps?
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby Gruney » May 10th, 2018, 12:03 pm

Brilliant, Patsy! Don't worry too much about the breath - it's very common in old dogs, and frequently a gum, rather than teeth problem. My eldest's breath can be pretty ripe at times, but you soon get used to it. Proper diet and exercise is the way forward for weight loss - I've seen loads of overweight dogs who's owners don't realise this, and continue giving the dogs idiotic tit bits. I know one person who gives his dog a cup of tea and a chocolate muffin for breakfast! Incidentally chocolate can be toxic to dogs. The dog is quite young - he's been told to increase the exercise - he throws the ball a couple of times, and then says - "that's enough now, I don't want to tire her out!"

Very bst wishes! :tu:
Gruney
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » May 10th, 2018, 12:17 pm

I hope to read that you soon awaiting take off, EM.
There are several organization that rehomes Cypriot rescue dogs, most go to the UK, a few to Germany. I have friends who foster the dogs prior to their transfer. The dogs usually have to learn to walk on a lead, live in a house, etc. All this is done whilst their Pet Passports are finalised.

Moira
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby StokeySue » May 10th, 2018, 12:18 pm

I missed the Abu Dhabi bit somehow - my Kindle prefers posts with pics
Good luck em, at least they fed you, doesn't always happen
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » May 10th, 2018, 12:37 pm

Because Lucy's owner was taken into hospital a couple of months ago, a couple of good friends/neighbours of his took over her care. However, they already have 2 cats so they couldn't take her on permanently. So Lucy came to me along with a large bin bag full of her belongings (a greyhound would easily fit into her bed ! ;) :rolleyes: ) Amongst the stuff was a letter from the friends written on behalf of Lucy. I was really touched by that. They attached a phone number and asked that they be kept informed of Lucy's progress .. hence I have found out that she couldn't/didn't 'do' stairs and that she had scratched/itched all her life. I also understand that her old owner didn't give her any treats. She is hopeless on a lead, so wondering if she is too old for some training in that area. She has certainly accepted being in the dog crate in the shop .. it's big enough for a much larger dog, so not in way restrictive and in fact she has spent most of the day asleep ;)
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby Busybee » May 10th, 2018, 1:25 pm

:luv: well done Pat. As Gruney says good diet and exercise will sort some of her breath issues out. I would suggest that she may be too old to start cleaning her teeth. Love that you have taken her to the shop, Archie used to go with OH every day to work. He was a bit of a demon if any of the staff kept their packed lunches in bags on the floor, he did once manage to carefully unwrap Dot’s roast beef sandwiches out of the foil wrapper, extract the beef but left the bread and butter! He used to sit in the window watching the world go by, but barked at any passing bus fir some reason.

I do hope you have lots of happy times together.

BB
Busybee
Registered

Postby Busybee » May 10th, 2018, 1:27 pm

EM - I hope you are mid flight by the time you read this. :hug: :hug:

Get your head down and get some sleep if you can.

BB
Busybee
Registered

Postby jrc » May 10th, 2018, 1:33 pm

Just got back from the accountant. Loads to read back.

I can make some suggestions if you get stuck with Lucy if you get stuck Patsy. :hug:

She is gorgeous.

Having had a dog with health and social issues plus crafting etc Sophie was given to us prematurely as as such has had (and still does ) developmental issues. She is highly intelligent but has never matured we are fairly knowledgeable. She is not aggressive in any way, quite the opposite but because of this we are unable to take her away or alter her routine much. :hug:

Anyway, I have to knuckle down and write a report.

Speak later. :hug: :hug: :hug:
jrc
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » May 10th, 2018, 1:38 pm

Thank you everyone for you advice/support and welcome messages ... ... Do you think I can train her to walk nicely on a lead ? The previous carers said she doesn't do recall, either :( Am I wasting my time trying to change her ways :?:
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby StokeySue » May 10th, 2018, 1:48 pm

I wonder if the problem is with the lead or simple not being used to being taken walkies at all? I'd be inclined to ask your contact at Dogs Trust (and the vet and the groomer) how they think you might get round this
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » May 10th, 2018, 1:52 pm

Well done Patsy, you will be great company for each other. :tu: :tu:
Last edited by Zosherooney on May 10th, 2018, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » May 10th, 2018, 2:04 pm

Pat,

I'm not a dog person but a friend had a small dog who, try as she would, refused to walk on a lead - until she tried her with a harness rather than a collar. It worked so perhaps it might be worth a go? I'm not promising that she will "Walk nicely" though :lol: :lol:
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby mum-at-the-oven » May 10th, 2018, 2:12 pm

Lucy looks so much like my 14 year old Taxi. He came to us at 11 months old and had never been on a lead, toilet trained etc. and was allowed to roam for miles.

Those things were easy to correct with Mr Independent, especially as he was young but we have always struggled with recall. I think it's the Terrier in him and he easily focuses on something more interesting - he can't really help that due to his Terrier nature.
I am pretty sure you will be able to get her to walk nicely on a lead - especially if you use a harness rather than a collar. I find a harness gives you better control and you don't risk strangulation or slipping the lead.

Unfortunately our once Mr Independent became Mr Lapdog and when we lost our other dog a few years ago he became even more clingy especially to me. His separation anxiety has become really bad and I have come home to find him howling like a banshee when he has got himself into such a state that he hasn't even noticed that I am there!

I have recently been giving him a Tonic for Dogs Anxiety. It's made by Woof and Brew and you just add it to food or water. It's herbal and so far has been a great success although I haven't left him for more than an hour since he's been on it but he is definitely calmer generally.

Well done for taking Lucy in Pat - the world needs more people like you :luv:
mum-at-the-oven
Registered

Postby Gruney » May 10th, 2018, 2:39 pm

Patsy - you said she's never been given treats. Some dogs really respond to treats - some aren't too bothered. I would buy a small packet of training treats - the smellier the better, and see if she's interested. You could try the odd small piece of cheese. If she responds positively, you're on a winner.

Get a child's toy clicker, and every time she does something you want her to do, even by accident, press the clicker, reward with a small treat - and give bags of praise. She'll very quickly work out what behaviour produces the reward. When this is well established, you can drop the clicker and treat - the praise will be reward enough. Once this has been established, you can introduce a command word, and be in control of the behaviour. It's most important that she recognises the benefits of coming back to you when you want her to. At her age, I'd just keep it to simple things - simple, yes - but could well keep her safe.

Don't forget, the lead is a valuable training aid - it puts you in control. If she gets nervous, keep a bit of tension in the lead, and rub your thumb nail along it, so that the vibrations travel down it and are sensed by the dog. They find that soothing.

Another tip, if she responds to food/treats - rub something strongly scented into your fingers - cheese, black pudding etc., and keep that hand close to your side when you're lead walking. It helps to keep the dog interested in you.

There are loads of techniques to get a dog to do what you want it to - the problem is that what works for one doesn't necessarily work for another. At Lucy's age, I would just concentrate on recall, stay and walking on the lead. Fun tricks can come later, when the learning process has been established.
Gruney
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » May 10th, 2018, 3:59 pm

I had a call today from a very upset friend. Already shaken because on Monday a council dust cart drove into her Motability car outside her house and didn't stop, today she received a parking fine in the post for when we ate out together two weeks ago. £100. She was parked outside McDonald's on a retail park near me in a designated disabled parking space and had her disabled correctly displayed. She is of course going to appeal, but she now has two things hanging over her head and it's not helped by the fact that her incompetent council have not bothered to come back to her about the dust cart incident. It's times like this i wish I lived closer to her.....

I was further narked as mid way through our conversation there was a loud rapping on my front door. Keen to find out who it was (I wasn't expecting a visitor although it could have been the council with my new intercom) I had a look. Virgin Media trying to flog me a TV package. Even though he could see I was on the phone and I had to ask him who he was and what did he want (gormless idiot just stood there with a clipboard grinning) and I told him I'm not interested, he just stood there and wouldn't go away. I had to shut the door in his face.

Anyway, I've asked friend if I can help her in any way with her current issues. With her health on a bit of a low at the moment she could really do without all this.
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » May 10th, 2018, 10:06 pm

rub something strongly scented into your fingers - cheese, black pudding etc., and keep that hand close to your side when you're lead walking. It helps to keep the dog interested in you.
I will have to try that with Mr. Z !!!!!!
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » May 10th, 2018, 10:09 pm

A very late finish tonight, although Mr. Z. did come home with 2 HUGE sacks of stuff from W'rose. Criminal waste !!!! I'm shattered, I've been awake since 4am... :rolleyes:
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby nursemimi » May 11th, 2018, 2:34 am

Evening Testing went well I now have the summer off Classes will
start again in August. Night Night

Mimi
nursemimi
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » May 11th, 2018, 5:17 am

Good Morning Wild Ones, there have been a number of heavy trucks and other building related vehicles thundering past, Cypriot builders start at 6 30 am at this time of year :rolleyes:

Edited to write that I understand that Cyprus is a favourite for Eurovision, please do not vote for them, they cannot afford to win

Moira :mug:
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby suffolk » May 11th, 2018, 6:07 am

Good morning all :D :mug:
A glorious sunny morning here 8-)
All my little plants are safely in DDs greenhouse ... tasks for today include making lists for packing ... :bounce:

Patsy ... Lucy is gorgeous. I hope you're very happy together :D
I knew a dog who chewed her paws until they were raw ... many things were tried but it turned out to be because of stress ... there were difficulties in the family ... when they were resolved she learned to leave her paws alone. Perhaps she's been finding all the changes difficult and hopefully when she realises she has a secure home she'll relax.
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » May 11th, 2018, 6:19 am

Morning all!

A lovely sunny day here! Nothing to do but decorating. I ache all over but I have to keep ploughing on in preparation for my uncle coming over on Sunday to help reach the bits I can't. I'd rather go for a swim today. My arms and back could do with it!

Have fun all. :grin:
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby icelesley » May 11th, 2018, 6:23 am

Good morning wild ones. Pasty you will have hours of fun with miss Lucy once she gets used to you, she is lovely :luv: I am up early, had to pay a visit :oops: so once I am out of bed I may as well get up. I have just had a boiled duck egg and toast for breakfast :chops: very nice. It's overcast at the moment and quite chilly, hopefully it will get better in a couple of hours or so.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway. Image ImageImage
icelesley
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » May 11th, 2018, 6:42 am

A sad start here....... B*stard fox killed my 3 ckx..... :cry: Did not even kill for food........ I shall not replace them...... It must have gone to great lengths to get in, up the wire sides and in over the top and the same way out again....... I hope it hurt itself.....
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby scullion » May 11th, 2018, 7:05 am

That happened to us once, again with three hens, we found that the fox came back and collected the hens one by one. She was obviously feeding cubs.
scullion
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » May 11th, 2018, 8:29 am

Zosherooney wrote:
rub something strongly scented into your fingers - cheese, black pudding etc., and keep that hand close to your side when you're lead walking. It helps to keep the dog interested in you.
I will have to try that with Mr. Z !!!!!!

I nearly choked on my morning tea when I read this :lol: :lol: :lol:

thank you everyone for your very helpful suggestions ... I am going to the Dog's Trust today as I usually do after my Zumba class ... today I will be taking Lucy with me and hopefully collect a harness for her. The Home to Home person responsible forgot that. She does sit already and I do have some little treats that she gets when she does that. Gruney, I will certainly take heed of everything you have said :tu: :tu: :tu: . I am told she is used to being left alone ... but I will fret while I am Zumba for that hour ! :(
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » May 11th, 2018, 8:59 am

Morning everyone :wave:

I'm sorry to hear about the hens Zosh :hug: It seems that, no matter how careful you are the bl**dy beasts will get in. It is a price you pay for living in the country but always upsetting.

At last we have proper weather, the sun is shining and the birds are singing. Our friend Olivier is trimming the big cypress at the back of the house. To think it was less than a foot high when we planted it and it is now the full height of the 3 storey building.

Moira promise we won't vote no matter how good they are.
Buiders can't start making noise until 8.00 am - in theory They are not supposed to work on public holidays and must stop for an hour at lunch time and finish at 6.30. Again, all in theory. There are builders working in one of our next doors - we have 5 - all with walls which connect in one way or another. So when they decided to work from 7.00 am without stop until 7.30 last evening - a holiday, several of us got very cross and at least 2 have been on the phone to the mairie this morning.
-
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » May 11th, 2018, 9:23 am

Morning all! :wave:

Zosh - :hug: :hug: what a horrid start to the day. It really is sad that they don t even kill to eat. I'm so sorry.

I think you're going to transform Lucy Pat! Although quite elderly I feel sure she will enjoy feeling more healthy and having a good routinr to stimulate her mind and body.

Tezza- many branches of Macdonalds have a strict time limit in their car parks (Not always very obvious). I wonder if that was the problem as I remember you stayed some time for a chinwag and they want you in and out. I have heard of that happening to others.

Finally got home at 12.30am and went straight to bed. Funny when you've been away that home always looks nicer than you remembered it. Today will be washing, shopping for some food and looking at the mail mountain.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby suffolk » May 11th, 2018, 9:30 am

Oh Zosh :rolleyes: what a shame :cry:

Foxes do kill to eat tho', but like us they do a big shop if the stuff is available ... if they're not disturbed and there's no sign of human activity around they'll usually come back for what they've left behind ... but of course if they think they've been sussed then they'll stay away.

We found that a few guinea fowl kept with our hens would raise the roof if a fox was about and that stopped them getting ours ... I once watched a guinea fowl stalking close behind a vixen across our meadows to the thicket on the boundary ... the vixen could've turned around and made a grab for the GF but didn't ... she knew that the GF would've made such a noise the whole neighbourhood would've been alerted and the vixen was very close to her earth where her cubs were.
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

PreviousNext

Return to The Coffee Shop