Chatterbox LXXXI - Rodney

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Re: Chatterbox LXXXI - Rodney

Postby icelesley » April 8th, 2018, 7:26 am

Good morning wild ones. It's a bit overcast at the moment, but the early fog has gone. Maybe we will have a nice day today (fingerscrossedsmiley) :D I have a stack of ironing to do today, gawd knows where it's come from, I think next door must have filled my basket :o :lol: :lol: :lol:
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway. Image ImageImage
icelesley
Registered

Postby liketocook » April 8th, 2018, 7:52 am

Good morning everyone,
It ended up being quite wet yesterday though thankfully I got what wanted to get done outside before the rain came on. Thwarted in my outside endeavours I spent a pleasurable couple of hours planting seeds that get started in the conservatory. It's dry again this morning so hopefully I'll get a bit more done outdoors.
Pork ramen for dinner tonight, I've not made this for ages so looking forward to it :D .
liketocook
Registered

Postby StokeySue » April 8th, 2018, 8:34 am

Good morning
Happy Easter Moira, I hope the Cypriots are pleased with Marios' medal in the gymnastics

We had an unexpected day of sunshine yesterday but today is overcast and threatens rain, typical as we have our monthly history walk today
Have a goid day
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » April 8th, 2018, 9:18 am

StokeySue wrote: I hope the Cypriots are pleased with Marios' medal in the gymnastics

It is all over the local press, I have not seen TV.
Cyprus is closed, I knew that I would not be able to buy a Sunday paper but I had difficulty finding some milk. I miscalculated our milk requirements, I had not realised that Deb needed some for a recipe. She is at present icing a chocolate cake, I finished off the ganache left over from the filling, a crumb coat has applied prior to chilling and the pouring of a mirror glaze.
Personally I am about to make Dauphinious potatoes to go with the lamb, hence the need for milk.

Moira
When life gives you lemons, make sorbet
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » April 8th, 2018, 9:23 am

Morning everyone and Joyeux Paques Moira :wave:

It is blowing up a hooley here - we are on oange alert. It's coming from the "wrong" direction lovely new broad beansie East and provencal houses aren't made to cope with that so everything is rattling.

No matter there is a shoulder of lamb slow cooking in the oven and sliced potatoes peeled and sliced ready to slide uneder it in a bit. I've also got fresh beetroot and lovely broad beans to go with it. Anyone care for meringues glae with chocolate sauce for pud?
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » April 8th, 2018, 10:24 am

cyprusmoira wrote:There will a pall of smoke over Cyprus as literally thousands of lambs are roasted, I could smell the wood smoke yesterday afternoon as the kleftiko ovens were fired up.

For some reason that sounds as though it could be taken straight out of Homer! I hope that the gods are appreciative. Of course, it is Easter so I shouldn't say that. ;)

A dull day here, bad luck re your walk and the forecast Sue. I planned the week so that I would not have to go out today and have masses of housework and trip preparation to do ... I'd better make a start - after the current :mug: has been consumed.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby suffolk » April 8th, 2018, 11:46 am

Very mizzly out there now ... we've made a quick dash to B&Q for some wood OH needed ... I liberated some baby foxgloves from the garden section ... now I need to do something with a couple of large Portobello mushrooms for lunch.
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » April 8th, 2018, 2:52 pm

earthmaiden wrote:For some reason that sounds as though it could be taken straight out of Homer!

Sometimes when you see the elderly, black clad women tending their pots of bean stew it looks very mediaeval
The braised lamb shanks were excellent.

Moira
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » April 8th, 2018, 3:18 pm

I can imagine that Moira. They probably looked similar in 700BC too!

I have had a really good cleaning session today but stopped for a :mug: and got waylaid. I must get back to work, there's a pile of paperwork to go though now, no wonder I stopped. I have promised myself a break to watch Tipping Point at 5pm for a treat :lol:. I wonder what Suffs did with the mushrooms :chops: .
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby StokeySue » April 8th, 2018, 3:43 pm

Been out for a sedate stroll along the Thames Path from Blackfriars to Tower Hill, then I walked more reapidly from there to Shoreditch where I caught the bus

Had lunch in a cafe bar called Byward on Byward St, in the back of All Hallows by the Tower church, recommended if you are in the area for any reason. I had a home made fish finger sandwich, with homemade tartare sauce in it. Larger meals available. Has a nice outdoor space, when not as soggy as it is today
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby suffolk » April 8th, 2018, 3:57 pm

Two huge mushrooms were gently panfried in a little butter then served on wholemeal toast with a couple of rashers of crispy Denhay bacon on top of each mushroom. :chops:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Gruney » April 8th, 2018, 4:08 pm

Bacon and mushrooms - now you're really talking.
Gruney
Registered

Postby Grasshopper » April 8th, 2018, 7:34 pm

Suffs - my Mum would LOVE a brekkie like that! She LOVES mushrooms. I don't mind them, but I prefer them in sauces or gravy.
We've all been busy today breaking up some rotten roof slats that we've been given for the fire. There are still plenty to do, but some of them need sawing up (that's MY job).
Speaking of jobs, it's back to 'W' for this Hopper tomorrow! :shock: ;) :lol:
:bounce:
Grasshopper
Spring ventures forth to plant the grain
And Summer dries the straw
Autumn gathers in the harvest
And Winter shuts the door

Grasshopper
Registered

Postby Cheezy_Jazzy » April 8th, 2018, 7:54 pm

Roast beef dinner tonight, the first one since Christmas :hungry: :luv: The kitchen is nearly finished after 9 weeks :D
ImageImageImageImage
Cheezy_Jazzy
Registered

Postby Grasshopper » April 8th, 2018, 7:59 pm

OMG Cheezy, NINE WEEKS? :shock:

What, pray, has taken all that time?
:bounce:
Grasshopper
Spring ventures forth to plant the grain
And Summer dries the straw
Autumn gathers in the harvest
And Winter shuts the door

Grasshopper
Registered

Postby Cheezy_Jazzy » April 8th, 2018, 8:33 pm

We had subsidence which builders took 9 days to fix. We had to have a new floor and decided to have a new kitchen put in which has meant painting the walls, tiling, putting new lighting in, updating the electrics, replacing piping in the boiler. There have been hold ups because all sockets in the house stopped working but the lights were still working. Turned out to be a loose wire that brother in law missed so was without heating, hot water,no tv and no wifi for two nights. Then we had a minor flood in the kitchen because of hubby changing the pipes in the boiler, a couple of days later we had a major flood early hours in the morning luckily hubby couldn't sleep and had gone downstairs and found it before any damage was done. So that morning no water, no shower and the plumber wasn't able to come for a day or so but he gave us a quick fix over the phone. I have used the facilities at my parents a few times over the last few weeks, thankfully they are just up the road.

The sink should be ready to use tomorrow :D
ImageImageImageImage
Cheezy_Jazzy
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » April 8th, 2018, 8:41 pm

CJ - how exciting! :bounce: :bounce:. I'm sure it will have been worth it.

I have done the paperwork and am feeling quite smug. Will tackle upstairs and work out what I am going to pack tomorrow before starting on a horrible run of 6 night shifts. :evil:
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Cheezy_Jazzy » April 8th, 2018, 9:05 pm

I have been very patient although hubby and his eldest brother have come close to being buried under the kitchen on occasion :lol: I think it is mainly the kicking boards to be put in position the the laminate can go down which will be a massive job as it starts in the kitchen, goes through to the dining room and the living room. There is going to be a lot of moving everything about but I think brother in law and nephew will be helping. I will be keeping out of the way!
ImageImageImageImage
Cheezy_Jazzy
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » April 9th, 2018, 5:28 am

Good Morning Wild Ones. Cheezy, I think that you have been very patient and forbearing :rolleyes:
Thunder has been rumbling around for the last couple of hours, we also had a short shower, it was forecast. I hope that it does not put a damper on the village games, Traditionally there are games in villages on Easter Monday, they are basic games such as tug of war, who can carry a heavy stone the furthest distance and the very keenly contested men v women football match, that is always a very dirty game :o

Moira :mug:
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby icelesley » April 9th, 2018, 7:02 am

Good morning wild ones. We have fog :( It has come down since 4.45 when I went to the loo :oops: hopefully it will clear and be a nice sunny day, we shall see. I will be in the greenhouse this morning, looking after my plants :D
icelesley
Registered

Postby suffolk » April 9th, 2018, 7:11 am

Good morning all :D :mug:
Overcast and damp again here.
Hope the weather is good for the Cypriot festivities Moira 8-)
New kitchen sounds good ... It'll all be worth it CJ
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby liketocook » April 9th, 2018, 7:14 am

Good morning everyone,

Something, I know not what, woke me before 5am this morning. I had that real sense of being startled awake and no way was I getting back to sleep! I read for a bit but decided to just get up and on with my day. I'm not sure what my plans are I'll see what the weather does.

Last night's ramen was really good so happy to have leftovers for lunch. I'm making turkey/pork mince patties tonight stuffed with french cheese. Unhelpfully my freezer list only says "French cheese" so I'm not sure what type it is...... :oops: I'll make root veg mash to go with it, use some of last year's runner & broad beans as green veg and finish of the peppercorn sauce I made on Saturday so hopefully it will be tasty.
liketocook
Registered

Postby StokeySue » April 9th, 2018, 8:54 am

Good morning
Ltc hope you don't end up feeling like Gen de Gaulle who famously said "one cannot govern a country that produces 365 types of cheese"
Fighting off a cold here in the pouring rain (well, inside as not going out much I that!)
Have agood day
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » April 9th, 2018, 9:33 am

Morning everyone :wave:

Hope you haven't got weather like ours for the festivities Moira. It's been foul for the last 48hours and promises to continue for another 24.
To make matters worse DS sent us a photograph of where they went for lunch yesterday - it has been voted one of the most beautiful beaches in the world :mrgreen:
https://www.bahamas.com/vendor/cape-santa-maria-beach

Stay warm and dry everyone and keep taking the fluids Sue
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » April 9th, 2018, 9:45 am

It sounds as if some members of you family are really roughing it, Rats :D
We have a nasty cold wind here, I must don another layer.

We are having Chicken Biryani for supper, Mamta's recipe.

moira
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby liketocook » April 9th, 2018, 9:49 am

StokeySue wrote:Good morning
Ltc hope you don't end up feeling like Gen de Gaulle who famously said "one cannot govern a country that produces 365 types of cheese"

:lol: :lol: :lol: it's sort of camembert like (though it's not as I would of written that on my list ;) ). It was a leftover from cheeses my friends brought back from Brittany last year for me but as I remember they were all very tasty so hopefully it will be fine in the patty :D

It's pouring here so doubt I'll get much done outside as it's to be heavy prolonged showers all day. Hopefully it will dry up for long enough for me to "air my wheels" round the block!
liketocook
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » April 9th, 2018, 10:15 am

Dull grey and damp here, just back from another dentist appt. Gum had swelled up over the w/e and I was concerned that infection had got in. Two injections and a clean up later and she is happy but need to mouthwash after every meal. Now just the Quack to call me around midday ! Mr. Z. is glued to the squash on TV so I have retired to my boudoir ! Feel like sh*t today, might just pull the duvet over my head.....
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby suffolk » April 9th, 2018, 10:22 am

Zosherooney wrote: I have retired to my boudoir ! Feel like sh*t today, might just pull the duvet over my head.....

Do that :hug: ... get a good book and make regular requests for refreshment ... there will be pauses in the squash ... establish a pattern ;)
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » April 9th, 2018, 10:26 am

Morning all :wave: .

Aww Zosh, you're in the wars aren't you! :hug: :hug:. You're always so busy you deserve a duvet day on a nasty day like this. Close your eyes and dream of that nice beach in the Bahamas :) .

Hope the weather holds for the festivities Moira and that the patties are a success LTC.

I went to bed late and got up late as I am on nightshift tonight. It looks horrible out there but I don't think it's raining. I need to get some shopping for the week in a minute - I've at last eaten up just about everything (mainly veg) that was lurking and needed to be eaten so will start with a nice clean slate :). I might dig out my larger suitcase later and make sure nothing unexpected has happened to it. It's nearly 3 years since I last used it!
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby StokeySue » April 9th, 2018, 10:29 am

Get better soon Zosh!
I have just had a little triumph, received a new complicated replacement flourescent tube for bedroom light, fitted tube, replaced starter and fitted cover ( the tricky bit)
It's bright in there now :D
Next job to sort out cards as I have a new card holder I can actually find things in
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Seatallan » April 9th, 2018, 11:45 am

Zosh- a duvet day is exactly what you need. :hug: :hug: :hug:

Hope the sun comes out (or at least the rain slows down) soon. I really want to get some chores done.
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » April 9th, 2018, 11:57 am

cyprusmoira wrote:It sounds as if some members of you family are really roughing it, Rats :D moira

They derserve it as they both work so hard and he has to visit his birth island regularly. He does have inherited land but unfortunately not at that end of the island

It's horrid here now and the wind is yet again blowing a hooley. Zoshplease take things easy :hug:
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » April 9th, 2018, 2:43 pm

Zosh: that sounds nasty, I hate anything dental.
We have a nasty cold wind here, everything is very quiet, none of the usual traffic or passers by

Moira
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » April 9th, 2018, 2:58 pm

Goodness, where does the day go! All I seem to have done is go shopping, drop off a parcel and make a fish stew and it's time to get ready for work :evil:. The suitcase won't come out until the night before I leave at this rate!

What sort of cards Sue?
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby StokeySue » April 9th, 2018, 3:12 pm

earthmaiden wrote:What sort of cards Sue?

The drastic plastic - shop cards, membership cards etc.

I keep my debit card in my purse in one pocket of my satchel with the two shop loyalty cards I use routinely, and the rest secured in an inner pocket
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » April 9th, 2018, 3:24 pm

Thanks all for your thoughts, I have had lots of fluffy company :D Still drizzling out..... :( I did make £12.50 today, sold my gas burners from Kushari......So there's a positive !
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » April 9th, 2018, 4:30 pm

StokeySue wrote:
earthmaiden wrote:What sort of cards Sue?

The drastic plastic - shop cards, membership cards etc.

I keep my debit card in my purse in one pocket of my satchel with the two shop loyalty cards I use routinely, and the rest secured in an inner pocket

Attention all pickpockets!! ;) :lol:
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby StokeySue » April 9th, 2018, 4:32 pm

Not really - everything is in one of several zipped compartment not easily accessed - when I say satchel it''s a kind of body hugging bag, don't think you could reach the purse with out touching me up!
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » April 9th, 2018, 6:51 pm

Ooh er Missus
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » April 10th, 2018, 5:09 am

Good Morning Wild Ones, another Bank Holiday here. I think that this one is to recover from the Easter celebrations, I expect to read about the number of extra attenders at local hospitals complaining of digestive problems.

Moira :mug:
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby icelesley » April 10th, 2018, 7:21 am

Good morning wild ones. We had lovely sunshine yesterday afternoon :tu: This morning we are back to rain :( The plants in the greenhouse are doing well, it's amazing what a bit of sunshine can do :D
icelesley
Registered

Postby jrc » April 10th, 2018, 7:42 am

Good morning :hug:

Wrapping presents today. Someone is 70 tomorrow :shock: :luv:

It’s not me or Sophie :oops: :lol:
jrc
Registered

Postby Sloe-Gin » April 10th, 2018, 8:09 am

Morning all. Can't catch up on everything since I last looked in, so just hope you're all well and no disasters have befallen anyone.
Eat, drink and be merry
Sloe-Gin
Registered

Postby PurpleLuv » April 10th, 2018, 8:53 am

no disasters have befallen anyone

I befallen, bruised & aching since :lol: :oops:
PurpleLuv
Global Moderator

Postby Ratatouille » April 10th, 2018, 8:56 am

Morning everyone :wave:

We had a tremendous storm which started at 2.00 am and went on flashing and banging until 6.30. I got up to go to the loo and didn't think to take my torch and of course the lights went out so there I was stuck until the other person in the bed realised what I had done, heard the scrabbling and came and rescued me :oops:

The sun is shining at the moment but for how long it remains to be seen.

I have sorted out the cheese cage this morning and made a cachat - Provencal cheese spread with ends of cheese, with goat and blue predominating, creme fraiche and marc. It is totally addictive.

PS look what the Jersey branch were doing yesterday:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AW5GxygPfRg
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » April 10th, 2018, 9:43 am

Rats: did they go all that way to feed pigs? :lol:
Not very warm here, I have a pan of vegetable soup on the hob, it's that sort of weather, overcast and British :rolleyes:

moira
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby suffolk » April 10th, 2018, 9:50 am

A belated good morning all :D :mug:

Got a bit side-tracked by gardening discussion with chap who came to to collect five demi-johns that I'd put on Freecycle ... just don't have the time or space for winemaking nowadays so they needed a good home ... think they've found it ... he has one and a half allotments and two large grapevines :D :cocktail:

It's flippin' wet and chilly here this morning ... we're so cold we've put the heating back on :rolleyes:

Now to get on with turning last night's cawl leftovers into soup .........
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby StokeySue » April 10th, 2018, 9:50 am

Ratatouille wrote:PS look what the Jersey branch were doing yesterday:

In Trinidad they make "apple sauce" from under-ripe papaya... just saying

Morning all
Rained a lot yesterday but dry
Off out to see King Charles at the RA in a mo
Have a good day
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby liketocook » April 10th, 2018, 11:45 am

Good afternoon everyone,
Back to wet, cold and windy here today so no gardening will be done :(

Grocery shop arrived so supplies are replenished, this was my first shop since 29/03 apart from a pint of milk so I was running pretty low of fresh stuff and staples.

The stuffed patties worked pretty well, they were a bit scruffy due to some leakage but made up for it in taste department. :D I think the mystery cheese might have been a goat's cheese though I'm really not sure :oops:

I've just made a pot of parsnip & ginger soup so that's lunch sorted!

This afternoon will be a lazy one, my book & a snooze sounds very attractive. :)

A easy dinner tonight of spinach & ricotta lasagne from the freezer so just some side veg to cook.
liketocook
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » April 10th, 2018, 12:08 pm

Very big pig coincidence I'm afraid. We heard today that our friend and neighbour, while on his motor (he is 55) came to grief at the weekend when he encountered 2 wild boars crossing the road. He is now in the local hospital with a leg broken in three places.

The neighbour who came round to tell us raan into one while in his car a few of weeks ago. He was OK but his car was off the road for nearly a month. Nearly every Sunday morning in winter Mr R encounters numbers of them as he goes to get the bread and papers.

Trouble is that the local hunters seem to be much better at hitting each other. 3 local deaths last hunting season. :scared: :scared:
Ratatouille
Registered

PreviousNext

Return to The Coffee Shop