Chatterbox LXXXI - Rodney

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Re: Chatterbox LXXXI - Rodney

Postby Ratatouille » April 17th, 2018, 12:51 pm

Thanks PP and sorry Purps - the phone rang just as I answering ! I'm not good at reading writing and talking at the same time :oops:
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby StokeySue » April 17th, 2018, 12:57 pm

I have builders, building :D
Poor sausages spent 2 hours getting here, I can walk it in less than one, massive incident on the A503, better known as Seven Sisters Road, it has made London news
The sun is shining, there are bumble bees enjoying the rosemary flowers, and there is the beginning of colour showing on the wallflowers

Oh, and I am actually making progress with my paperwork :D

Shame about your pricey day Suffolk, :hug:
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby suffolk » April 17th, 2018, 12:59 pm

Cheers SSue :hug: ... PITA but there's worse things in the world than car park scrapes :)
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » April 17th, 2018, 2:42 pm

Afternoon all!

I haven't read back over your postings yet but will do. Just wanted to share that I am now typing this from my laptop! Internet via laptop normality has returned! :bounce: It is immediately apparently how much damage I have done to my eyes through squinting at such a small screen, and also how I have lost the ability to touch type as quickly as I used to be able to! Also navigating myself around the keyboard. I can't find some of the keys! I'll get there.

Today I telephoned Indesit about my washing machine. 'Your man did not attach these castors. Surely I need them on the machine or have I got to do that myself? And if so, I only have three'. To the reply 'Madam, they are spares, Does your machine wobble? No? Then you have castors' So all laundry washed and dried. A very blowy day perfect for it! I now have to live chat with Arriva to find out where my bus stop into town is. I can see one from my window but it is a different bus company and goes elsewhere. I couldn't live chat on my phone. I also need to put some stuff on FB to sell but too much excitement for today. I'll look forward to doing that tomorrow. All ads written up in pen ready. Other than that I think my work here is done! Will read up on your news later folks,

Some sort of soup for dinner I think with leftover garlic bread from lunch. :chops:
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby aero280 » April 17th, 2018, 4:20 pm

Suffolk...

Be careful. If the lady in the other car finds things are more expensive than she thought, and tells her insurers. Your payment could be considered an admission of guilt. If they follow it up, it may cost you a lot more... :shock:
http://www.saabtechtalk.com/
aero280
Site Admin

Postby suffolk » April 17th, 2018, 4:26 pm

Aero ... she didn't even take my name or car reg.
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby liketocook » April 17th, 2018, 4:38 pm

Good evening everyone,
I've been well and truly shorn, a literal weight off of my mind.
My balance is still very off so apart from that haven't done very much.
Chicken thighs with sumac & onions roasted on Greek pitta tonight so apart from slicing an onion not much prep. I'll have it with Greek pitta, mange tout and spinach. :)
liketocook
Registered

Postby Seatallan » April 17th, 2018, 5:27 pm

Ratatouille wrote:Thanks PP and sorry Purps - the phone rang just as I answering ! I'm not good at reading writing and talking at the same time :oops:

Yep- Purps rather than me Rats. :D :wave:
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby aero280 » April 17th, 2018, 5:49 pm

suffolk wrote:Aero ... she didn't even take my name or car reg.

That would help! :)

But her insurers will ask for CCTV, if it gets that far...
http://www.saabtechtalk.com/
aero280
Site Admin

Postby suffolk » April 17th, 2018, 5:50 pm

No CCTV there ... none at all :)

I offered my details ... she refused them. She said that she absolutely did not want to contact her insurers ... I was willing to do it via insurers (although of course I'd rather not) but she was clear ... it was a little bump ... we both drive venerable cars with their fair share of dings and dents ... she just wanted her paintwork touched up.
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Busybee » April 17th, 2018, 6:05 pm

A day for car incidents.

Mine was parked in the village whilst I attended a WI committee meeting, I return to find a a note under my windscreen - do not drive wheel damaged’.

That was an understatement........an 87 year old lady negotiated a right turn, and “ can’t really remember what happened”...........suffice to say she hit the back of the car with such force that along with the body damage she had broken / damaged the real axle of a Land Rover! She then bounced into a white van and then continued onto the village green taking out a couple of ducks! My guess is that rather than braking she hit the accelerator. She was unhurt but extremely laid back about it, questioning why I needed her name address and insurance details.

At the time I didn’t think to inform the police as no one was hurt, but I am thinking maybe I should report it ...........is she fit to be driving?

What would you do?

I had to wait an hour and half for a low loader to arrive to take our vehicle away, hers is just abandoned on the village green. She had her daughter with her, so she isn’t alone. I do wonder if I would have found out who had done the damage as if it hadn’t been a neighbour telling me where she lives I would have been none the wiser.......she didn’t leave her name or details.

BB
Busybee
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » April 17th, 2018, 6:07 pm

Oh dear - :hug: :hug: :hug: to all who need them for varying reasons!

Hope the garden and weather were lovely for your lunch Rats.

Have done all intended today and had a nice lunch and chinwag with friend. It's raining in Sydney :rolleyes: .
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Busybee » April 17th, 2018, 6:09 pm

EM - have a fabulous trip, I hope it’s everything you wish for. Safe travels xx

BB
Busybee
Registered

Postby suffolk » April 17th, 2018, 8:09 pm

BB :hug: tell the police ... really! I know of someone who had a few incidents like that but his family couldn't persuade him to give up his licence ... the next time he hit the accelerator instead of the brake he crushed a pedestrian against a shop wall and killed her. This happened in Southwold where until then far too much dangerous driving by the elderly had been tolerated ... not any more it isn't.

It's hard for someone's children to tell their parents they must stop driving. If you tell the police it makes it easier and safer all around.
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby liketocook » April 17th, 2018, 8:25 pm

Have a wonderful holiday EM :hi5: :hi5:
liketocook
Registered

Postby StokeySue » April 17th, 2018, 8:26 pm

I agred with Suffolk, I hope you have the details of the other vehicles and preferably a witness to the ducks. And perhaps a few photos?

The insouciance is almost as worryig as the error, makes you wonder if she really takes in what the problem is

Day 1 of the building is done OK. Lot of paperwork sorted. Day 6 of the chirping continues
Good night all
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » April 17th, 2018, 8:31 pm

I agree too. Hope the car is repairable. She may also have had a TIA. It happened to my OH. That was when I insisted he gave up driving.

Have a great trip EM!! 8-) 8-) 8-)
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » April 17th, 2018, 8:35 pm

Happy holidays EM..... :wave: :wave: :wave:
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » April 18th, 2018, 5:15 am

Good Morning Wild Ones, I am waiting to see what Deb is like when she gets up, yesterday she was bent over like the proverbial little old lady :!:

Have a good holiday EM :wave:

Moira :mug:
When life gives you lemons, make sorbet
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » April 18th, 2018, 6:39 am

Goodness BB. I think I agree that perhaps the police should be informed for all the reasons stated.

Whizzed up to Heathrow and through the formalities much faster than usual. I have already had the obligatory breakfast and window shop. I pity my travelling companions, the nice lady in the Jo Malone shop drenched me in perfume.

Hope that Debs is a bit better today.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby icelesley » April 18th, 2018, 6:48 am

Good morning wild ones. BB contact the police :tu: It's overcast and looks like rain is on the way :( But we are forecast sunshine later. :bounce: I have a ironing mountain to do today following the laundry mountain yesterday :rolleyes:
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway. Image ImageImage
icelesley
Registered

Postby StokeySue » April 18th, 2018, 7:23 am

Good morning
Brilliant sunshine here today
Hooe Deb feels better soon Moira

More building and more paperwork today. And more chirping. :(

Have a good day, don't get sunburned
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » April 18th, 2018, 7:27 am

Morning all. I have just walked the dogs without a jacket (me not the dogs). :oops: It's lovely out there.

We have Keely's funeral today and it is very fitting that the sun is out. Needless to say OH had forgotten and has just arranged to go out to lunch with his pal. I shall leave him to it.

Hope you have a trouble-free flight EM.
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » April 18th, 2018, 8:01 am

Morning all

Lovely blue skies here but still quite cool, so perfect if you ask me. I think I will do my online selling before I tackle more unpacking. First though, better put my face on, I feel naked without it!

Productive days to you all. :hug:
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » April 18th, 2018, 8:12 am

Busybee wrote:At the time I didn’t think to inform the police as no one was hurt, but I am thinking maybe I should report it .......is she fit to be driving?

From 70 years old you need to complete a statement saying you are still competent to drive and then get a licence for another 3 years, but for how long should we do this ourselves? Personally, I think that after 70 (75 latest), everyone should take a yearly refresher test to get certified as fit to drive.
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » April 18th, 2018, 8:16 am

Hey, they sky is blue, not a cloud in it. I had 2 builders arrive at 7.30am :o and another at 7.48am :o they are all now laying blockwork ! I fully intend to be sleeping in the hobbit house tonight !!!! A bit too much chattering for my liking. :spank:

Large load of washing on the go..... should be ironed and away tonight....

BBQ mid afternoon :chops:
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby suffolk » April 18th, 2018, 9:48 am

Good morning all :D :mug:

Late on parade as I was trying to get some gardening done before tennis .......... I've just sent my apologies to tennis ... I'm not going to spend a couple of hours indoors instead of gardening ... not now that the sun is shining ... 8-)
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby liketocook » April 18th, 2018, 10:24 am

Good morning everyone,
Still windy here, it was pouring earlier but dry now though the sky is still leaden. It's not cold though.
My Dad is coming for lunch, I'm making bacon chops, colcannon and parsley sauce one of his favourites. I'm not doing huge portions so hopefully won't fee stuffed. I find a large meal at lunch time can make me feel a bit bloated. I'm not sure about tonight probably leftover sumac chicken with veg.
liketocook
Registered

Postby suffolk » April 18th, 2018, 11:36 am

liketocook wrote:I'm making bacon chops, colcannon and parsley sauce one of his favourites.

:hungry:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Seatallan » April 18th, 2018, 12:10 pm

Have a lovely trip EM- you certainly deserve it. :wave: :hug:

BB, yes I agree- report it. My father was a case in point. He would insist on continuing to drive long after he was really capable of it. He too eventually mistook the accelerator for the brake (at the junction of a busy duel carriageway :shock: ) and very nearly caused a serious accident. The (very kind) policeman who attended the scene 'persuaded' dad to hang up his car keys (much to our relief). Sorry your car is so badly damaged. :hug:
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » April 18th, 2018, 12:12 pm

Afternoon everyone :wave: :wave:

Feeling somewhat jaded today after a rather late night and then having to get up and out to go into town to the supermarket. The friends we went to last night live up a very long and bumpy track and something happened to my neck on the way up there so I finding turning my head extremely difficult, not to say painful.

Things are not going well for our friend who had the motorbike accident. The doctors are not happy that the healing process is going correctly so he is being sent to Avignon today to start treatment in what we understand as a pressure chamber. Can we have understood correctly?

Hope the flight goes well for em. :wave:

It is another gorgeous day. The temperature at lunch time was nearly 26C so under the veranda but with everything open. I've got to get started on prep for tomorrows lunch with our 87 year old friend.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby suffolk » April 18th, 2018, 12:12 pm

Oh yes EM ... missed that ... have a fantastic time 8-) :wave:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby StokeySue » April 18th, 2018, 12:32 pm

Ratatouille wrote:Things are not going well for our friend who had the motorbike accident. The doctors are not happy that the healing process is going correctly so he is being sent to Avignon today to start treatment in what we understand as a pressure chamber. Can we have understood correctly?

Yes hyerbaric oxygen therapy - which as Mr R will deduce linguistically means applying (in a special chamber) an atmosphere with more oxygen and at higher pressure than the usual atmosphere to aid healing. It may well help,everything crossed
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » April 18th, 2018, 12:40 pm

Than ks Sue. I do hope it helps, everything crossed here too.
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby StokeySue » April 18th, 2018, 1:14 pm

Mr R would have more chance if I typed the p in hyperbaric
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » April 18th, 2018, 1:21 pm

I didn't even notice it was missing but Iknew exactly what you meant.
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » April 18th, 2018, 2:36 pm

Back from the Pissouri craft group, usually we are upstairs. The large room, it was built for functions, cannot be used as there is no proper fire escape so cannot be licenced. We were not allowed to use that room today, the Cypriot Fire Service is coming to inspect the premises. It came as a large surprise that such inspections occur, I bet that it was enforced by the EU. So we were downstairs in the taverna proper, it was great not to have to negotiate the stairs whilst carrying bags.
One of our group, she is American was jubilant, whilst in Manchester she found a pack of gluten free Yorkshire Pudding Mix. This prompted a long discussion on the correct way to make Yorkshire Pud, everyone had their own opinion including on person who had only ever had it a sweet course.

Moira
When life gives you lemons, make sorbet
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » April 18th, 2018, 2:45 pm

Well, we are up to first storey height in blockwork, all builders in shorts !!! Even Mr. Z. has dragged his out to BBQ in ! Saus. slices of BNS and c'gette and a slaw and a mix of tommy, cuc, coriander, avocado and pink onion, with a french dressing. A round of garlic toast and we are done ! Just a saucepan of water on the left over coals for washing up and just a light supper tonight.

Washing is all dry ironed and mostly brought in, so a good effort today. Grass has had its first cut and looks soooooo much tidier now.
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby Busybee » April 18th, 2018, 3:08 pm

Having spent a total of around four hours last night and this morning on the telephone speaking to insurers we seem to be making progress. The elderly lady has finally admitted liability so we can proceed with a no blame=contest claim which means we don’t have to pay the excess and her insurers will be picking the tab up for a hire car of similar size and level until ours is either repaired or written off.

I have spent the rest of the day disposing of my friends late Mothers personal effects, he said he didn’t want to go through her things as it felt like violating her privacy. It evoked a range of emotions, sad for the reason I was doing it, but it also brought back some lovely memories of a formidable lady. I had known her over 40 years, yet I still referred to her as a Mrs B. She had some wonderful clothes including white kid keather gloves and a truly remarkable 1950 swimming costume and swimming hat.

Even though his father has been dead 25 years they hadn’t cleared his bedroom of personal effects, so we did that too. The rest of the house should be easier, I feel that we have broken the back of the job,so to speak.

WI tonight, but I feel mentally and physically shattered. No doubt I’ll enjoy it once I’m there.

BB
Busybee
Registered

Postby suffolk » April 18th, 2018, 3:34 pm

Bb ... glad you're getting the car issue sorted :tu: :tu: :tu:

It's very kind of you to help your friend ... some people find that sort of thing so difficult. I'm the pragmatic type and just get on with things, but my brother gets all emotional ... he still hasn't come to terms with the fact that we have to do something with the Aged Ps' ashes ... can't leave them with the undertaker much longer :shock: :rolleyes: The problem is that Ma's wish for her ashes just aren't reasonable/practical ... I have a couple of solutions but bro is finding it difficult not to do as Ma said. Two of his brood are getting married this year ... I'll let him get the weddings over and done with then present him with an ultimatum ... very nicely of course.
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby StokeySue » April 18th, 2018, 3:43 pm

Well done BB :hi5: :hug:

Apart from emotional attachment I think men often feel shy and even a little squeamish about going through their mother's lingerie etc. having determinedly averted their eyes from it for decades. Seems less of a problem for women going through men's stuff, perhaps because it's often more utilitarian and perhaps because we are still more likely to have done the laundry for everyone in the house!
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » April 18th, 2018, 4:50 pm

My Dad let us girls sort my Mums things, except her jewellery, Dad sorted that !

I am still wearing Dads watch.... :cry:
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby Busybee » April 18th, 2018, 5:01 pm

suffolk wrote:Bb ... glad you're getting the car issue sorted :tu: :tu: :tu:

It's very kind of you to help your friend ... some people find that sort of thing so difficult. I'm the pragmatic type and just get on with things, but my brother gets all emotional ... he still hasn't come to terms with the fact that we have to do something with the Aged Ps' ashes ... can't leave them with the undertaker much longer :shock: :rolleyes: The problem is that Ma's wish for her ashes just aren't reasonable/practical ... I have a couple of solutions but bro is finding it difficult not to do as Ma said. Two of his brood are getting married this year ... I'll let him get the weddings over and done with then present him with an ultimatum ... very nicely of course.

As I may have mentioned before my Dad works part time for the local undertaker, they had a request for some ashes to be returned to the family - a bit sheepishly, as they said it had taken them some time to come to an agreement regarding their final resting place.................27 years! Unfortunately they had to explain as so much time had elapsed that they had been spread on the Garden of Remembrance.

BB
Busybee
Registered

Postby suffolk » April 18th, 2018, 6:02 pm

Maybe if we leave it a bit longer that'll happen to our Aged Ps and I won't have to negotiate a solution after all :D

Well, I ache all over ... in a nice way ... I have been digging, planting, spreading and raking mulch, weeding, sowing, putting up canes etc etc etc ... My lovely OH came out and helped, cutting back stuff on the Shady Bank 'cos he didn't want me clambering up there and he also turned two large compost heaps, much to the delight of the robins and blackbirds who found lots of worms and insects. The bees have been busy pollinating the gooseberries and we have to keep coming in for cooling drinks ... the doors to the garden have been wide open all day and are still open ... it was only a couple of days ago that we had the heating on during the day ... the temp today went up to 26.4C in the shade 8-)
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » April 18th, 2018, 8:12 pm

My father's ashes area in a green plastic box, which makes me think of a miniature wheelie bin, in my other's spare bedroom (not the one Daddy slept in!)

Everyone and again I ask if she'd like to do a headstone or whatever one is allowed, but she becomes evasive. She was blaming me for a long while non not doing anything. I think it can wait...

I have my cat's ashes in the bottom drawer of my bureau (in a nice wooden casket.)

We haven't finished clearing Daddy's stuff yet. But it's only been 9 years. It ground to a halt because my mother is reluctant to get rid of furniture that prevents further progress. (My father had full bookshelves in front of the windows in his 'storage' room. That's how bad it is.) I thin this will wait too... At some point there will be a mammoth task.

Hopefully not for a bit. She id scheduled (! I hope) to turn 90 on the 9th of May.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Grasshopper » April 18th, 2018, 8:21 pm

Just a quickie!
Quite hot at 'W' this mornin', but lovely outside this avo. Lawn had the first haircut of the year, Mum's been busy in the back garden, mogs have been sunning themselves - it's FINALLY Spring! :kneel:
:bounce:
Grasshopper

Oh yes - and I was out all day last Saturday WITH NO HAT ON! :o
:lol:
Grasshopper
Spring ventures forth to plant the grain
And Summer dries the straw
Autumn gathers in the harvest
And Winter shuts the door

Grasshopper
Registered

Postby Amber » April 18th, 2018, 9:07 pm

Suggs, could some of the ashes possibly be spread in the grounds of the wedding venues?
Amber
Registered

Postby Amber » April 18th, 2018, 9:08 pm

Stuffs!!
Amber
Registered

Postby Amber » April 18th, 2018, 9:08 pm

Suggs!!!
Amber
Registered