I've just adopted two cats....!

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

I've just adopted two cats....!

Postby TeresaFoodie » April 7th, 2018, 3:44 pm

I'm trying to work out the logistics of it all, but basically my sister's ex MIL has passed away suddenly and one of her sons is trying to pick up the pieces, including six cats.

Me and my sister can't bear the thought of them going to a rescue home, where possibly they could be euthanasied. One of them, Gimpy, is my sister's cat George's brother, she's having him. I've got two on the way!

I will post photos once they're here. Probably Monday! :bounce:

Goodness, I'll have to find out if they already have names otherwise that will be another mission!
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Re: I've just adopted two cats....!

Postby TeresaFoodie » April 7th, 2018, 4:07 pm

They have names. I am waiting for details and photos. So much going on surrounding funeral organisation it's not priority right now.

Still can't believe I'm going to be a mum again! :lol:
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » April 7th, 2018, 4:48 pm

Why on earth did she have six cats? Are they feral? For what it’s worth I don’t think this is a good decision so soon after you have a new home Teresa. You are barely settled yourself.

Sorry to rain on your parade.
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby beldubby » April 7th, 2018, 4:53 pm

I have to agree with PP here. And are you allowed pets?
beldubby
Registered

Postby PurpleLuv » April 7th, 2018, 5:00 pm

Agree PP, Tezza get pets when you are well settled & financially secure, how will you pay vet bills?
PurpleLuv
Global Moderator

Postby Chinchilla_lady » April 7th, 2018, 5:26 pm

Does your tenancy agreement allow you to have pets? if not you are in breach of your tenancy agreement.

Edited to add

Cats Protection never euthanise a fit and healthy cat, nor do Wood Green Animal Shelter. If L&D Cats protection cant help you, Wood Green have a shelter at Heydon near Royston.
Last edited by Chinchilla_lady on April 7th, 2018, 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Addicted to White Cats
Chinchilla_lady
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » April 7th, 2018, 5:28 pm

I'm thanking you for your opinions, but honestly, sitting here bored out of my skull needing some company when someone is trying to rehome six cats....trying to help me and him out.

One of them is called Twiglet. I'll rename the other one Pepper.

I can honestly say I haven't been this happy in a long while. It saves them going to a cat shelter. I can't think of anything worse for a cat.
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » April 7th, 2018, 5:34 pm

Yes, pets are allowed, first thing I checked. Absolutely allowed. The council have told me the only thing I need to consider is dangerous dogs laws. I was quite happy to live without for a bit, although allowed, until I found out they were trying to be given homes at the drop of an unexpected hat.
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » April 7th, 2018, 6:15 pm

I think the PDSA would be able to help you with vaccines etc.?
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Catherine » April 7th, 2018, 6:17 pm

I have to say that while I appreciate you feel the need to re home these cats, my gut feeling is with the others here. You often say you can’t afford your electricity and food etc so how are you going to afford the extra costs owning 2 cats brings. Food? Vet fees, immunisations etc. Perhaps wait until you are settled rather then accepting 2 cats which are more than likely feral and therefore may not be exactly people cats. Just an opinion
Catherine
Registered

Postby Catherine » April 7th, 2018, 6:47 pm

Herbidacious wrote:I think the PDSA would be able to help you with vaccines etc.?

Unfortunately you still have to pay for the vaccinations with them and flea treatments etc
Catherine
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » April 7th, 2018, 7:07 pm

Can I also add that were you adopting through a respectable charity you would not be considered suitable at the moment because of your housing background and other issues. These rules are set in place for very good reason Teresa.
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby Prettykiwicrazy » April 7th, 2018, 7:15 pm

TeresaFoodie wrote:I'm thanking you for your opinions, but honestly, sitting here bored out of my skull needing some company when someone is trying to rehome six cats....trying to help me and him out.

One of them is called Twiglet. I'll rename the other one Pepper.

I can honestly say I haven't been this happy in a long while. It saves them going to a cat shelter. I can't think of anything worse for a cat.

There are a lot more worse options for a cat. Also if you're bored and need company , as lovely as cats are, they shouldn't be relied on to fill such a void in your life . If you struggled financially with them, I think it could be quite upsetting .

Why don't you look at some other options to get you out in the big wide world and help you feel some purpose . Why don't you look at volunteering while you're job hunting , even just for the social aspect . Or google some social groups in the area , libraries are always a good place to look
Prettykiwicrazy
Registered

Postby scullion » April 8th, 2018, 2:40 am

I don't think tezza has mentioned being hard up since her benefits have been settled/paid. She's in secure housing and her life seems to be getting up and running again. Personally, I think that re-homing a couple of cats is probably a better bet than getting a kitten. They've most likely been neutered, had their injections and are litter trained. A couple of boxes of cat food a week is far less than some people spend on fags or booze in a day and nowhere near the cost of running a dog. The therapeutic value of a pet is not to be sneered at (ask Mary - or yourselves!). I think that tezza is sensible enough to decide for herself if she's capable of looking after the cats - and if she wasn't, she has demonstrated, in the past, that she can make the 're-homing' decision when necessary.
Give her a break.
scullion
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » April 8th, 2018, 9:25 am

I'm torn here, but Tezza have these cats been used to going out? I know you are scared about cats that go out ? If they are outty cats, you can't just decide to keep them in forever, it would not be fair on them..... I do feel that your heart seems to be ruling your head. You mentioned about going back to work? That would fund them but I do feel you need to think really seriously about a big decision for you and the cats..... Sorry to be a bit of a damper but...... :|
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby Catherine » April 8th, 2018, 12:37 pm

What Zosh said about the cats going out had crossed my mind too.

Pets really should not be taken on without proper planning and as you say Tezza this is very much at the drop of a hat and unexpected . My worry is that you end up having to rehome them like your last cats and you end up making yourself feeling even worse. It wasn’t that long ago you gave your cats up
Last edited by Catherine on April 8th, 2018, 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Catherine
Registered

Postby MagicMarmite » April 8th, 2018, 12:42 pm

I'm afraid I agree with the others.
I'm a cat lover and have four but I think it's a bit too soon for you, give it a couple of months until you're more settled, it'll also give you time to buy the bits they need and put away some money for the initial vets bills.
In the mean time are there any cat fosterers near you who could help?
MagicMarmite
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » April 8th, 2018, 1:05 pm

Tezza. I know you realy want to take these kitties. You are a real animal, especially feline lover. You have also been through a very very difficult year and are an extremely instinctive, caring and impulsive person - good for you . BUT sometimes we must think about just who and what we are taking on and if we can really, honestly and financially do it.

Please don't collect them tomorrow and think all will be well because it won't. Try to stop and let that clever head of yours take over that huge heart.

Will the pussy cats be happy in a small flat away from their own place?
Could you afford the bills or is there really help to be had ?
What would you do if you had another health scare - remember last time?

Whatever the outcome is, I sincerely hope it is right for you and, just as importantly, the cats - because you all deserve it :hug: :hug:
Last edited by Ratatouille on April 8th, 2018, 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Je pense, donc je suis. - Decartes
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby northleedsbhoy » April 8th, 2018, 1:05 pm

Zosh has made a very good point. Cats that are used to going out can't really be kept in, a friend's cat had to be whilst he was recovering and he was so miserable, howling at the window to be let out. Also, even if you do let them out I understand that you're of the first floor so that in itself is a problem if the flats have a sealed access. Some serious thinking about the practicalities needs to be done.

Cheers NLB :tu:
northleedsbhoy
Registered

Postby mogatogs » April 8th, 2018, 2:05 pm

Afternoon, sorry but agree with above and as my two pusscats are no longer eligible for insurance trust me , they can be very expensive :scared: Please think about it, we all understand how much you adored your cats but, think about the cats, you still have your kitty sits :hug: :hug:
mogatogs
Registered

Postby Grasshopper » April 8th, 2018, 7:23 pm

Think I agree with the others - it's too soon.
Maybe someone can foster them until you are properly settled?
:hug:
Grasshopper
Spring ventures forth to plant the grain
And Summer dries the straw
Autumn gathers in the harvest
And Winter shuts the door

Grasshopper
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » April 11th, 2018, 1:25 am

I have been internet deprived for a couple of days but back now, and I appreciate your comments. Internet-less boredom obviously put me in touch with my senses. The cats have been declined! They have been rehomed. I've really got too much to cope with at the moment. They'd hate it here. Need to get settled! It'll happen. Not with these ones and not now. Anyway, anyone out there who convinced me it was a stupid idea, thanks! :lol: You were right and they will be alright. :bounce:
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » April 11th, 2018, 6:47 am

What a brave decision Tezza! I'm sure there will be easier times ahead for you and that you will be able to give some needy cats a home in the future. xx
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby suffolk » April 11th, 2018, 8:05 am

Very brave Tezza ... much respect. :kneel:

You can make it happen when the time is right for you ... that way you stay in control of your own life. :D :tu:
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » April 11th, 2018, 9:42 am

What they said Teresa. Well done. :tu:
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby Chinchilla_lady » April 11th, 2018, 11:14 am

Pleased to hear it Tezza, for everyones sake yours and the puss cats. As you say, there will be more cats in your life, when the time is right. :hug: :hug: :hug:

Addicted to White Cats
Chinchilla_lady
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » April 11th, 2018, 11:50 am

I knew you would make the right decision Tezza, you love cats too much to do otherwise :hug: :hug:
Je pense, donc je suis. - Decartes
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby Seatallan » April 11th, 2018, 11:59 am

Well done Tezza! A hard decision I am sure, but the right one in my opinion. Your cat time will come again. :hug: :hug:
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » April 11th, 2018, 5:03 pm

Take a lot of time for yourself Tezza, A difficult decision for you, knowing your love for the fluffy gang..... Give yourself a huge pat on the back for the best decision at the moment, times will change....... :luv:
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » April 11th, 2018, 6:33 pm

:bounce: :bounce:

Still ecstatic. I'm okay, they are okay, I'm not tripping over little parcels of mess! I've already had a bit of a fall lending me to a big lump on the shin.

So, on the cat front. Job done! Yippee! Everyone's a winner.

Bonnet de douche, as Del Boy would say! :tu:
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby suffolk » April 11th, 2018, 6:49 pm

TeresaFoodie wrote:I'm not tripping over little parcels of mess!

I must admit that's a huge plus of being a non-pet-owner ... discovering pet puke when stepping out of the shower and standing in it was never an endearing trait :sprout:
;)
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Grasshopper » April 11th, 2018, 7:22 pm

I know you have a big heart when it comes to pusscats, and you are just as dotty about them as the rest of us, BUT you have made a sensible decision, hard though it must have been :hug:
You need to get yourself settled and sorted out first, before taking on any pets.

The time for new pussers will come. :hug:
:hug:
Grasshopper
Spring ventures forth to plant the grain
And Summer dries the straw
Autumn gathers in the harvest
And Winter shuts the door

Grasshopper
Registered

Return to The Coffee Shop