Google Assistant anyone ?

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Google Assistant anyone ?

Postby PatsyMFagan » April 7th, 2018, 6:33 pm

I am thinking about getting one of these and I want to make the most of it.

I know Sue has one of the others (Alexa/Siri/Cortana ?) What do you lot think ?

Of course I realise that it won't be a life changing decision ;) :aww: :lol: :rolleyes:
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Re: Google Assistant anyone ?

Postby earthmaiden » April 7th, 2018, 7:27 pm

I had enough trouble setting up my new mobile yesterday .... :lol:
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » April 7th, 2018, 7:40 pm

My friend swears by Alexa. I'm no good with technology so I avoid like the plague, so I'm just taking her word for it here.
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » April 7th, 2018, 7:42 pm

I think we have Siri on the MacBook but don't use it...... :oops: Once hit it by mistake swore and received a rebuke from her !!!! Been too scared to use it since !!!!
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby StokeySue » April 7th, 2018, 8:49 pm

Alexa is IMO close to a scam

Siri and Cortana are just another way or controlling your pc or Macbook or tablet or other device using sound ictead of reading and typing text. They make it sound more fancy but not much as far as I can see. You probably have one or both if you look into your settings and apps. I probably ought to get to grips with Siri as a liw vision aid

In order to use Alexa (or Google Assistant) you have to have a second device. I have an Echo Dot. This only works when plugged into a power socket and connected to WiFi - it doesn't even work as a passive speaker via a Bluetooth connection without a WiFi internet connection. This is not the impression given in the origeinal ads. It not really very useful as an accessory to a portable device such as a Kindle, but then that's ok because it can't do that.
Another thing she can't do is control your device, I have a Kindle Fire, if I have downloaded a podcast for example I can't asl her to play it because (unlike Siri or Cortana) she can't operate the Kindle. I believe newer versions canor will do this, and may not even need the Echo, but again misleading advertising in the original launch.

What can she do? Well she can operate anything that's available on you Amazon cloud, so she can play your Audible books or Amazon Prime music, and she can search the internet so if you ask her for any radio station on the internet she can find it and stream it. If you subscribe to Spotify or other internet streaming services she can also play those. I have her linked via Bluetooth to both Kindle and phone, so anything I play on those she can pick up and relay as the Echo Dot is a small speaket. It can also feed the audio into you sound system (through a wire), and this is what I do find useful, as I have no DAB signal and not much FM she adds a lot of possibilities to my ancient Bose stereo CD radio that's how I listen to most music, radio and audiobokks now, and the Echo Dot was a lot cheaper than replacing with a new internet enabled system and iPhone dock. A lot cheaper and probably as good or better, so that's why I hung onto it. I'm not sure if I can get her to use Hive for heating control which might be handy

The ask Alexa I find pretty useless. How often do you want to ask stupid questions like "How deep is the ocean?" ? I asked her when the next train was from Dalston to Clapham and she cheerfully informed me that flight time was about an hour :rolleyes: If you want to search for something, such as good pubs nearby I honestly find it easier to get a list on a screen and scan it than to extract them from her one by one with little info.

The ads make great fuss about of her keeping shopping lists and to do lists, but as you can't subdivide them into categories or add notes all you are really doing is adding items to your Amazon wishlist, not useful to me

But the thing to remember is that if you do chat away to her like the morons on the ads then Amazonwill have data about you that makes Facebook look like mere beginners

I don't know how the Google thing differs, but those are the things I'd look out for
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby scullion » April 8th, 2018, 2:51 am

Yeah, but you haven't said how you can ask Alexa to meow like a cat!
scullion
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » April 8th, 2018, 8:17 am

We have a Google assistant in the shop ... my business partner raves about it, however he only uses if for hearing music/radio and that is probably what I will use it for most of all. ( use an old Bush radio as I only listen to radio 4 while am there ) At home I currently listen to the radio through my tv and have a DAB radio in the kitchen. They are not too expensive relatively speaking. I will interrogate D's son more when I next see him.

Your post has been most helpful as ever Sue ;) :tu: :kneel:

Meant to add that I do have Cortana on my lap top ... when I inadvertently wake her up it scares the daylight out of me ! :o :oops:
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby StokeySue » April 8th, 2018, 8:24 am

I do get a noise that sounds as if there's a medium sized animal such as a badger or bull terrier trying to scrabble out of the cupboard on which the Bose sits :o
Took me a while to work out that was caused by leaving the Bose on standby so I could hear any Bluetooth interference Alexa picked up!
This doesn't seem to be a problem when I am actually using the device, though I get occasional dropouts but I'm not sure which part of the system is responsible for that
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » April 8th, 2018, 10:01 am

StokeySue wrote:I do get a noise that sounds as if there's a medium sized animal such as a badger or bull terrier trying to scrabble out of the cupboard on which the Bose sits :o

I really don't think they're going to employ you in the PR department any time soon :lol: :lol: :lol:
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » April 12th, 2018, 11:13 am

I am sitting in the shop at the moment, listening to classic FM through the Google Assistant. I have to say the sound quality is superb. That alone is probably enough to convince me to get one ;) To remind me to ask Google to change to Radio 4 for You and Yours, I have set the alarm on my phone. I think maybe I could ask Google to do that too but didn't want to confuse her ;) :tu:
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby suffolk » April 12th, 2018, 1:22 pm

You & Yours today had a feature on the dangers of Smart technology ... hope you caught it :shock: :lol:
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » April 13th, 2018, 9:13 am

Yes, I did ... but will need to listen again for it to sink in ... the business partner's son has 3 of these gadgets in his house ... and he uses them for all sorts of things, like linking with his heating etc.. Good thing I have no idea how to do that ;) :o :aww: :? :rolleyes:
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Return to The Coffee Shop