Public loos and other gripes

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Public loos and other gripes

Postby Meganthemog » April 13th, 2018, 9:46 am

Has anyone else noticed how difficult it is sometimes to get into a loo cubicle? I went to one yesterday and had to climb over the loo to close the door! It seems that whoever designs them fails to realise that if they put the bulky loo roll dispenser on the side of the wall as you enter - it makes it nigh on impossible to close the door. Without wanting to offend - If I find it hard to get in and close the door - I am pretty slender - how difficult is it for someone who is larger?
The obvious solution is to have the door opening outwards.
And while I'm on a rant - what about parking spaces - our local NCP must have been designed when cars were tiny. I often come back to find that someone has parked their car so close to mine that I have to climb in through the bl**dy boot!
Meganthemog
Registered

Re: Public loos and other gripes

Postby suffolk » April 13th, 2018, 10:08 am

Totally agree ... sometimes I have to perform contortions to get in and out of loo cubicles ... how pregnant women who are not as contortable as this 66 year old larger lady cope I have no idea .......... I can only imagine that the cubicles are designed by chaps who rarely use such things when out, or so they tell me when I rant about such things as I've been doing for years.

And as for parking spaces ... there have been occasions when I've just had to push my open car door against the side of the car that has parked close to mine, and if it marks their car then I'm afraid that my conscience is not troubled. My car is a convertible so I can't get in via the boot ... perhaps they think I can operate the roof from outside the car and then levitate into the driving seat :rolleyes: Once I had to go into John Lewis and drink copious cups of coffee until their nice Customer Service people could find the owner of a virtual pantechnicon that had squeezed itself into a space next to my car. No apology of course ... just a lot of huffing and puffing, apparently ... JL staff dealt with them ... I didn't have to :luv:
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Meganthemog » April 13th, 2018, 10:14 am

I agree Suffs it must be that a man goes in and puts the loo roll dispenser on the wall and doesn't think about how you are supposed to get round it.

I caused hilarity in the car park the other day by opening the back door of my RAV 4 and clambouring over the back seat and squeezing into the front seat. Fortunately I am pretty flexible :lol: I just hope no-one was filming me and that I find myself a YouTube sensation :scared: :lol: :lol: :oops:
Meganthemog
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » April 13th, 2018, 10:22 am

When I first arrived in Cyprus I was horrified to see a pick up truck occupying four parking spaces, I now know that this is standard practise.
Also where I am I supposed to put my admittedly rather large handbag

Moira
When life gives you lemons, make sorbet
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby aero280 » April 13th, 2018, 10:28 am

The solution is to move the loo sideways...

Screen Shot 2018-04-13 at 11.27.31.png
http://www.saabtechtalk.com/
aero280
Site Admin

Postby StokeySue » April 13th, 2018, 10:46 am

I went to Hackney Picturehouse yesterday
Tge ladies loos are very nice, beautifully decorated and suppied with liquid soap and handlotion, enough room to manoeuvre in tge cubicles
Just 2 things
1. There's a large hook on the back of the door. Don't know what it is about the design, but if you use it you can sit and watch your stuff slide s-l-o-w-l-y onto the floor

2. Nobody can find the concealed hand driers without instruction. To use them you stick your hands under the mirror over the hand basin until you set off the flow of hot air. Actually quite good when you get to it, but confusing
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » April 13th, 2018, 11:07 am

I wish taps were a bit more consistent. The number of times I have stood waving my hands under taps that need to be physically turned :D I end up doing it for so long, as I seem to have trouble activating taps that really do have motion sensors. Ditto automatic doors. I sometimes wonder if I'm actually a ghost...

But back to loos and tech inconsistency, when in Japan, had great fun with the loos, which range from holes you crouch over (unambiguous and to be avoided) to Star Trek fantasies that require a degree in computer science to operate. We had one in a (tiny, tiny, too small for OH on his own with his 6ft 4 frame. never mind two of us) bedsit in Tokyo. OH became convinced that you had to put the seat lid down to make it flush. This was a case of him observing a constant conjunction that was not in fact causal (just to add a bit of David Hume into the equation.)

Sorry I digressed. Yes I have also encountered cubicles with not enough space to open/shut the door and get in/out without being supermodel or 20-something thin.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Seatallan » April 13th, 2018, 11:42 am

The other problem is that most of the tiny, tiny bogs have automatic flushes now too. I find that halfway through my wee-wee I lean back a bit too far and set the bloody flush off. :rolleyes:
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby StokeySue » April 13th, 2018, 12:03 pm

In China I went to the newly installed loos in the forbidden city. Each cubicle had a symbol on the door to tell you if the porcelain that lurked within was in the form of a squat or a throne
I've seen the same system since in airports
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » April 13th, 2018, 12:10 pm

Used to be the same in France Sue. I haven't seen a style arab in years though. I once had to recue my mother from one half way up Mt Ventoux.
Je pense, donc je suis. - Decartes
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby StokeySue » April 13th, 2018, 12:27 pm

Seen plenty of arabes in France but never went anywhere that gave me a choice! Last one I saw was about 24 years ago in Brittany, well maintained in a freshly painted building.
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » April 13th, 2018, 12:35 pm

True there usually wasn't any option, but in the motorway one used to have a choice at the service stations.
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » April 13th, 2018, 1:47 pm

Oh yes re loos, flush, dryers, parking and other modern dilemmas. On one floor at work the loo cubicles are so badly designed it's funny - the door opens so that the loo is at right angles on the left or right and there is not enough room for the doors to open fully so you almost have to climb over the loo to get in. Not helped by the fact that the ladies sanitary bin is too large for the cubicle and sits jutting out into the space where one is trying to get in. If you happen to be there at the start or finish of the day and thus carrying a bag it's even more fun. On the plus side, they stay clean because so many people avoid them so are nice to use once you've got in :lol: :lol:.

Airports can be fun can't they! In the late 60's in Manila there was no loo paper. Instead, a nice lady stood outside the unlocked cubicle and when she thought you were ready, opened the door in a semi-discreet manner and handed out one's ration of two sheets of loo paper.

Re parking, I have also noticed that many modern cars are too long for old spaces and jut right out into the car park making it difficult to manoeuvre round. I saw someone getting told off by an attendant the other day because their car stuck out just because the space wasn't long enough. I'm not sure what he thought she was supposed to do!
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby smitch » April 13th, 2018, 1:51 pm

The work car park I have a permit for was built in the 60s or 70s and the spaces are very small. It isn't helped by the fact that there are a lot of pillars in there, so for every 3 spaces, only the central one doesn't have a post. If you get there late, you end up having to use one of the pillar spaces and they are really small. The number of people I've watched park with the drivers door next to the post though, when they could use the one at other side of the 3 spaces and have the passenger door against the pillar :rolleyes: If it wasn't so cheap, we wouldn't use it, but it costs the same to park there for a month as it would cost for half a day in most other city centre car parks.
smitch
Registered

Postby Bubbles » April 13th, 2018, 2:19 pm

[quote][/quote]. This is one of my personal bugbears. Not helped by the fact that the ladies sanitary bin is too large for the cubicle and sits jutting out into the space where one is trying to get in. Often on opposite sides from the huge loo roll dispenser, thereby leaving even less space to get in and sit comfortable on loo. I often move the bin if I can ;) Don't get me started on car parks.
Bubbles
Registered

Postby Bubbles » April 13th, 2018, 2:20 pm

[quote][/quote]. This is one of my personal bugbears. Not helped by the fact that the ladies sanitary bin is too large for the cubicle and sits jutting out into the space where one is trying to get in. Often on opposite sides from the huge loo roll dispenser, thereby leaving even less space to get in and sit comfortable on loo. I often move the bin if I can ;) Don't get me started on car parks.
Bubbles
Registered

Postby mum-at-the-oven » April 13th, 2018, 3:00 pm

I always thought it most odd in the USA that their public toilets always had wide gaps all around the doors!
mum-at-the-oven
Registered

Postby Busybee » April 13th, 2018, 3:43 pm

On a positive note we have just returned from a break in Scotland- near Dalbeattie. Everywhere we went we found public loos all spotlessly clean. It made me realise how few public loos we have around us even though we live in tourist central.

Car parks were also either free or very low cost. Tourists often feel like cash cows, but certainly not here.

BB
Busybee
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » April 13th, 2018, 4:09 pm

I don't have a car at the moment, so no parking difficulties for me, I just hop on a bus, but public toilets, grrr. I usually rely on McDonald's. The thing I noticed about toilet roll dispensers at the time when I broke my right shoulder is they are always on the right without fail. So just imagine (if you like :lol:) starting your business then realising you can't reach for the paper to clean yourself! I did learn quite quickly after a few disasters. I did also spend quite a few months carrying a toilet roll in my back pack. Oh, happy days! Public toilets are still a scary thing for me.

And do you check before you use a cubicle in case you are sitting on or hovering over something awkward? I had to pull my nephew out of one recently when he inadvertently started to piddle on a Loch Ness Monster!
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby suffolk » April 13th, 2018, 11:06 pm

Ratatouille wrote:Used to be the same in France Sue. I haven't seen a style arab in years though. I once had to recue my mother from one half way up Mt Ventoux.

Think I've 'met' that one :lol:
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Rocky » April 14th, 2018, 1:11 am

Seatallan wrote:The other problem is that most of the tiny, tiny bogs have automatic flushes now too. I find that halfway through my wee-wee I lean back a bit too far and set the bloody flush off. :rolleyes:

This is my bugbear - lean forward to grab the loo roll and .....
Rocky
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » April 14th, 2018, 9:02 am

I have not seen a hole in the ground loo in France for years. I once stayed in a youth hostel in Cap Ferrat and that's all they had. I managed to not go to the loo, in one regard at least for a few days :shock:

There was a time when I dreaded going into looks in cafes, even in France. And as for Greek islands... a bucket for your loo paper...

earthmaiden we encountered that loo paper rationing in Cuba too. One was given some on entry to the toilets, rather than the cubicle, but two sheets max. This was in our 5 star hotel (which also had holes in the bed sheets etc. Although it was a State run one.) But that's Cuba for you.

worst public toilet experiences: France in the 80s. Unspeakably filthy (won't go into details) and no sink.
Japanese train -that surprised me as the Japanese seem quite fastidious about certain hygiene matters.

I've also encountered loos in France with no toilet seat. This really bothers me for some reason. Sometimes it's the design rather than it having gone missing.

n.b. I have a bit of a toilet phobia so have been known to walk into and then straight out of a toilet if it's not ok to me, even if I am a bit desperate! Foolish, I know.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » April 14th, 2018, 9:22 am

Herbie I gather you never visited the loos at the Chateau D'If ? When we went in the 1980s DD remarked that they were the originals, as used by the Count of Monte Christo.
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » April 14th, 2018, 9:32 am

I have been to Chateau d'If but I don't recall the toilets, so either I didn't go, or they'd refurbished them by 2005!
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby StokeySue » April 14th, 2018, 10:37 am

I went to Prague in 1994, when it was really opening up
The first night we went to a decent restaurant on Old Town Square, to find that not only was Igor's granny sitting outsde the toilets doling out the paper but she expected 2 kopecks for the privelege, even from diners. This was standard at the time and if you ever watch Jan Svankmajer's modern Faust made also in 1994 (you should) Faust has trouble getting past one of these ladies to meet the Devil in a pub toilet which is the gateway to Hell :lol:

Worst toilet was in the back of a petrol station in southern Turkey (unusual in Turkey where they rend to hose them down). Nuff said

Found one in Greece that looked perfect but smelled awful. We eventually worked out that they cleaned the gleaming white marble with ammonia :)
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Seatallan » April 14th, 2018, 11:34 am

StokeySue wrote:The first night we went to a decent restaurant on Old Town Square, to find that not only was Igor's granny sitting outsde the toilets doling out the paper but she expected 2 kopecks for the privelege, even from diners.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » April 14th, 2018, 11:42 am

Reading back, the worst ever toilet experience was in the eighties working as a room maid in a hotel whilst at college. Generally speaking cleaning toilets wasnt bad but one occasion still haunts me to this day. We had the Kuwait football team for a fortnight
. My goodness, what pigs in their toilets! I know habits in that department differ from ours here, but I'm.talking urine all over the floor with pistachio shells in it. :sprout:
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » April 14th, 2018, 12:19 pm

Herbidacious wrote:I have been to Chateau d'If but I don't recall the toilets, so either I didn't go, or they'd refurbished them by 2005!

You are correct Herbie. They simply had to. However there is annual swim from there to Marseilles. A friend of ours has done it and the race briefing reminded participants to "go before you get there, or in the sea bceause the facilities on the island are not adequate for large numbers"
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby WWordsworth » April 14th, 2018, 4:28 pm

I used to travel quite a lot in my previous job and it's surprising how many 5-star hotels do not have a hairdryer socket within reach of a mirror.
WWordsworth
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » April 14th, 2018, 7:07 pm

Some of the toilets I encountered in Kerala last year left a lot to be desired .... one memorable one was at the temple where all the old fiesta elephants were retired to. I had no choice but to find a toilet once we arrived, due to my revised plumbing (;) ) ...I found it.... No light, only the tiniest window and no lock on the door... and it was absolutely filthy. :aww: At least I had no need to actually use the facilities as I carried my own :) . Oh and the time when I was caught short when our coach had stopped so that someone could find their passport. I needed to 'sort myself out' .... that took place in the open, right in front of the coach ! Luckily I have a very resourceful sister who acted as my screen ... everyone else was at the back of the coach helping the other passenger look for her passport ! ;) :aww: :tu: (sorry if this is too much information :oops: )
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby aero280 » April 14th, 2018, 10:16 pm

I think I have recounted this tale before...

My school friend's parents had divorced. He lived with his mother, but went on holiday with his father. One year they went camping on the continent. This would have been the early 1960's. One site was by the beach on the coast of Spain, to the south of Barcelona. They walked into the village for an evening meal and came back late. On the way back they followed a donkey cart. On arrival at the campsite, my friend went to the toilet block, which was a raised platform with cubicles around a series of holes in the floor. The donkey cart went round to the back of the toilet block, where the donkey man shovelled all the waste into the cart and made off. Intrigued, my friend and his father followed. The cart was driven to the beach and along a jetty, where the cart was emptied into the sea!! Also at the end of the jetty was the diving board!! :o
aero280
Site Admin

Postby TeresaFoodie » April 15th, 2018, 3:04 am

A lot of our UK football ground's toilets leave a lot to be desired. I think this is more to do with a mis-balance of ratio between number of mostly drunk spectators to toilets available. Anfield was the worse I ever witnessed as a female spectator who didn't need to go. There was a sea of urine pouring down the street down one side of the ground. Laws might have changed since then (it was a couple of decades ago) but I suppose, when you've got to go!
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby jrc » April 15th, 2018, 8:08 am

A couple of weeks ago we had a round robin email from HR reminding us that the ladies bins should only be used for the obvious and not to be cluttered with loo roll cardboard tubes as the bins were getting overfilled.

One of our male counterparts complained as to why were men sent this email?

The round robin goes out to all staff which consists of about 600 people. If HR had to email ladies only and filter as such it would have cost a couple of hours extra work time rather than just take the sensible ‘well that doesn’t apply to me approach’ :rolleyes:
jrc
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » April 15th, 2018, 8:40 am

Oh dear. Men. :lol:
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » April 15th, 2018, 9:58 am

jrc wrote:One of our male counterparts complained as to why were men sent this email?

If any of those men had a colostomy then he would have needed a disposal bin. ;)
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » April 15th, 2018, 11:09 am

That's good thinking Pat! Also, aren't disabled cubicles usually unisex? Ours were at my last job.
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Meganthemog » April 15th, 2018, 11:43 am

I think on the whole the problem could easily be resolved by having outward opening doors - simples!
Meganthemog
Registered

Postby jrc » April 15th, 2018, 12:02 pm

Meganthemog wrote:I think on the whole the problem could easily be resolved by having outward opening doors - simples!

I agree outward opening doors would work but a friend has one on his own bathroom and if you are passing in the corridor (it is a bungalow) you stand the risk of getting a face full of door if you pass at the same time someone is exiting the small room. :lol:
jrc
Registered

Postby aero280 » April 15th, 2018, 12:13 pm

I think that all loos should have outward opening doors, especially into the room itself. I always wonder why I have to grasp a door handle to get out after I've washed my hands.

On the other hand I got hit by a loo door opening into the bar area of a pub when i was carrying four pints of beer... :(
aero280
Site Admin

Postby StokeySue » April 15th, 2018, 1:05 pm

Aero, you don't useladies loos. I agree with jrc. There's usually very liitle space between the cubicle doors and the basins (surely only kitchens and sculleries have sinks?) and that space is very often full of ladies queuing. I can pretty much guarantee that if the cubicles were built with outward opening doors in the first week some poor older lady would be taken to A&E suffering from blunt trauma. Also in the event of an evacuation having all doors open would turn the space into a maze, slowing egress and increasing the risk of injury
I suspect it's in either building regs or fire regs or both (a long time since I've read either but that is the sort of thing they cover)
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby aero280 » April 15th, 2018, 3:54 pm

Alas! The gents loos are at least as cramped if you need to use the cubicle. There was a time after some of my several operations when I needed to use the cubicle to "sort myself out" :o :D
aero280
Site Admin

Postby StokeySue » April 15th, 2018, 4:26 pm

I think you tend to get less queues in gents, so less people to hit
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » April 15th, 2018, 4:51 pm

It never ceases to amaze me when waiting in a queue for the ladies and there is an empty, unused disabled loo.....? I always use it......

Car parking..... I am fed up with all the dints in the doors of my Puma, I now park in the 'family' spaces.... Until supermarkets alter the size of their parking spaces I will continue to do so.....!
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » April 15th, 2018, 5:11 pm

The family spaces are so that parents can get their children out of child seats safely Zosh. It’s nothing to do with the size of the car other than to stop neighbouring cars being damaged. You’d get a ticket or a fine round here.
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » April 15th, 2018, 5:45 pm

But the parking spaces are too small.... Good job I don't get up your way very often !...... I don't out much at all these days..... If there are no family spaces then I park over two spaces.......
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby WWordsworth » April 15th, 2018, 5:46 pm

I think we all realise that PP but let's remember Zosh is not using a disabled space and surely parents manage in the regular spaces when their special place are full.
WWordsworth
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » April 15th, 2018, 5:46 pm

You’d get done for that too Zosh.

WW, we are lucky that there are loads of Parent and Child places in most shopping areas as a result of heavy campaigning by parents and residents.

Next you ‘ll be telling me that you petrol/diesel owners park in the spaces reserved for electric cars.

What happened to being law abiding? No wonder this country is in such a state.
Last edited by Pepper Pig on April 15th, 2018, 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby WWordsworth » April 15th, 2018, 5:47 pm

I would never park in a disabled space unless my mother was in the car.
WWordsworth
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » April 15th, 2018, 6:04 pm

:|
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby StokeySue » April 15th, 2018, 6:33 pm

The only time I ever parked in a Parent / child space was when they were all available and I had my 90 year old Mum in the car - not enough space to haul her out in a standard space, and nearer to the door. Attendant gave me the :tu:
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Next

Return to The Coffee Shop