Massive clean up operation!

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Massive clean up operation!

Postby TeresaFoodie » April 14th, 2018, 5:41 pm

I just realised that my milk in the fridge had gone off so I disposed of that and went in the freezer to defrost one I knew I had. The entire contents have defrosted! What a mess. When this upright fridge freezer, along with oven and washing machine were delivered a few days ago I was told all three had been connected to supply. Noooo!

Now I have chicken breasts in there stinking, loads of other leftover portions of food. The worse thing is, my mum gave me the chicken in an opened bag with a clip thing so there is lots of chicken juice in there.

I don't think I can stomach this job tonight.

Tips on best way cleaning up? I've switched on now so it should make it all refreeze overnight which I think would make it easier.

Any recommended cleaning products? I have loads. Stinks! I feel stupid that I didn't check! :sad: How sad for a brand new product!
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Re: Massive clean up operation!

Postby PatsyMFagan » April 14th, 2018, 6:45 pm

(White) Vinegar and bicarb/baking soda are 2 natural cleaners that won't leave a chemical smell.
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » April 14th, 2018, 7:49 pm

Ah, thanks Pat. On speaking to my Dad he advised get rid of the food tonight into the wheelie so I have. I cannot face cleaning it tonight. A job for tomorrow first thing. Four drawers full, gone.
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » April 14th, 2018, 10:17 pm

I've not had a problem using Dettox spray or supermarket equivalent.

Poor you Tezza. What a galling waste.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » April 15th, 2018, 2:52 am

Before bed I wiped the trays with damp kitchen roll then sprayed with Cif. Will give them a proper wipe and dry tomorrow and leave the door open switched off until I can get more food. I've got and stuff to keep me going.
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Suelle » April 15th, 2018, 7:39 am

A catastrophic mistake not to check that the freezer was on before putting food in. The instructions often say to let the freezer stand for a number of hours before switching on - something to do with the refrigerant settling - so that was probably why the installers didn't switch it on. 'Connected to power' isn't the same as 'switched on'.
Suelle
Global Moderator

Postby TeresaFoodie » April 15th, 2018, 8:39 am

Ah yes, a lesson learned indeed! It all happened in such a whirlwind, it wasn't like 'ooh, new fridge freezer today' greet them etc, be able to listen properly to what was said, not making excuses, it just happened all in the same day but now you mention it, I have heard in the past someone saying something about gases settling.
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » April 15th, 2018, 11:06 am

Thanks to my mum for reminding me to register all three warranties this morning. Phew!
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Hope » April 15th, 2018, 11:17 am

I use vinegar, bicarb, castille soap (or washing up liquid) in various combinations on everything. I make a citrus vinegar, by soaking citrus peels in vinegar for a couple of weeks, then draining. It is wonderful for cleaning and smells nice.

I use this, watered down, to clean windows, mirrors, shower screen etc.

I add a little washing up liquid to use as a floor, bathroom, kitchen and anything else cleaner.

I mix this with bicarb into a paste to use on the bath.

All much cheaper than cleaning products, better for your health and for the environment too.
Hope
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » April 15th, 2018, 2:34 pm

Oh Tezza, how awful! It's so sad when you lose a freezer full of food. Mine defrosted once when the lady who came in to look after my cats when I was on holiday switched it off by mistake. She was horrified of course, I felt so sorry for her. Since then I've labelled the plug for the fridge/freezer in case anyone else touches it (including me!). Once you get yours up and running it's not a bad idea to do that, I know of course it wasn't the problem on this ocassion.

If I had had chicken juices loitering in my fridge or freezer I would clean it out with a bleach or antibacterial solution.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby KC2 » April 15th, 2018, 4:50 pm

Sorry to hear of the ghastly waste of good food, Tezza :(

Hope wrote:I use vinegar, bicarb, castille soap (or washing up liquid) in various combinations on everything. I make a citrus vinegar, by soaking citrus peels in vinegar for a couple of weeks, then draining. It is wonderful for cleaning and smells nice.

I use this, watered down, to clean windows, mirrors, shower screen etc.

I add a little washing up liquid to use as a floor, bathroom, kitchen and anything else cleaner.

I mix this with bicarb into a paste to use on the bath.

All much cheaper than cleaning products, better for your health and for the environment too.

What sort of vinegar do you use for your citrus vinegar? I imagine the white sort, which we already use widely. The idea of adding citrus is really interesting!
KC2
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » April 15th, 2018, 6:31 pm

I could use that labelling of the plug in future if need be, but I have a feeling I will only be allowing me in here without full supervision, plus the plug is hidden down the side and at the back of my microwave, so not even I could knock it accidentally.

I am going to remember the window cleaning solution tip! I've never been good at it, but I think my nan used to do same, and now I have 'my own' windows, so to speak, and I can reach all of them, gotta keep them sparkly!
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Grasshopper » April 15th, 2018, 7:13 pm

Tezza - :o
Hope - some good tips there ;) :tu:
:bounce:
Grasshopper
Spring ventures forth to plant the grain
And Summer dries the straw
Autumn gathers in the harvest