Has mineral water become a health issue?

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Has mineral water become a health issue?

Postby Ratatouille » April 22nd, 2018, 1:39 pm

I don't think this is a very good topic for what I want to say but it starts from the plastic water bottle subject.

Yesterday our poorly Danish friend told us she had been told by her oncologist she must only drink one kind of mineral water, no other and absolutely not from the tap She didn't ask why and she wasn't told.

Then today I heard of amother friend who has high blood pressure and has been given a huge list of foods he should avoid at all costs. even down to specific mineral waters.

We talked with Letitia the patronne she told us that, on the whole people are happy with a caraffe, which is free and nicely chilled in a pretty jug - ie no profit for her then. It is difficult though, she said, to know which bottles waters to list because most folks choose it on the advice of someone else, mainly a medical practitioner, ot because the consider it a la mode, which usually means in Paris. They also only serve those waters which come in glass bottles - because of the recycling.

Your thoughts please.
Je pense, donc je suis. - Decartes
Ratatouille
Registered

Re: Has mineral water become a health issue?

Postby Suelle » April 22nd, 2018, 1:56 pm

It sounds more of a French thing than anything else. I haven't heard of that sort of advice being issued by qualified medical professionals in this country.

Health 'gurus', maybe, but I wouldn't trust them if they agreed with me! :lol:
Suelle
Global Moderator

Postby aero280 » April 22nd, 2018, 1:56 pm

After a career in the water industry, I think that I can state fairly certainly that mineral water is a huge scam.

It's sold on the basis of containing all sorts of minerals that are "natural" and/or "health giving". It's mostly nonsense. If you need supplements, you can get them elsewhere and in more controlled quantities.

On one famous occasion, one of my colleagues caused a red alert in North London. He had been assailed by some local residents led by the local newspaper claiming that tapwater was unhealthy. So he bought a bottle of some mineral water from the supermarket and sent it off to our labs as if it came from a tap. It failed all the tests so badly that they sent reinforcements from head office to help in flushing out the water mains and finding the source of the pollution.

Almost all the taste complaints I was involved in investigating were a result of poor internal plumbing in a house. The most common being (a) a perished rubber nozzle pushed onto the end of the tap - modern taps are designed to prevent this; and (b) internal pollution due to backsiphonage. Often caused by leaving a shower head below the water level in a bath while someone downstairs turns on a tap...

If your water tastes of chlorine. Leave a jug in the fridge for a while.

I could go on, but it makes me angry. :shock:
http://www.saabtechtalk.com/
aero280
Site Admin

Postby scullion » April 22nd, 2018, 2:01 pm

i think it would be sensible for your friend to ask her doctor why.
is he suggesting that your water isn't truly potable/has contaminants in? is his bottled water suggestion for those in glass bottles over plastic - or does he have shares in particular brands‽‽‽

aero280 wrote:Almost all the taste complaints I was involved in investigating were a result of poor internal plumbing in a house.

our water tastes unpleasant. i know it's not just ours, most of the other places i've drunk it in the area taste similar. it's the reason i installed an under sink water filter.
Last edited by scullion on April 22nd, 2018, 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
scullion
Registered

Postby KC2 » April 22nd, 2018, 2:03 pm

aero280 wrote:After a career in the water industry, I think that I can state fairly certainly that mineral water is a huge scam.

It's sold on the basis of containing all sorts of minerals that are "natural" and/or "health giving". It's mostly nonsense. If you need supplements, you can get them elsewhere and in more controlled quantities.

On one famous occasion, one of my colleagues caused a red alert in North London. He had been assailed by some local residents led by the local newspaper claiming that tapwater was unhealthy. So he bought a bottle of some mineral water from the supermarket and sent it off to our labs as if it came from a tap. It failed all the tests so badly that they sent reinforcements from head office to help in flushing out the water mains and finding the source of the pollution.

Almost all the taste complaints I was involved in investigating were a result of poor internal plumbing in a house. The most common being (a) a perished rubber nozzle pushed onto the end of the tap - modern taps are designed to prevent this; and (b) internal pollution due to backsiphonage. Often caused by leaving a shower head below the water level in a bath while someone downstairs turns on a tap...

If your water tastes of chlorine. Leave a jug in the fridge for a while.

I could go on, but it makes me angry. :shock:

Very interesting aero280, especially the trick to get rid of the chlorine taste.
KC2
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » April 22nd, 2018, 2:07 pm

It makes me very angry too.

However here I think it dates back from the state of tap water in France until relatively recently. This has been overlaid by multinational companies taking over the bottled water companies. I think Nestle etc. Their power and budget for advertising has made an even bigger impact.

I simply can't understand why drinking bottled water of a certain brand would make any difference to cancer treatment - unless of course the doctor has shares in the company :?
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » April 22nd, 2018, 2:16 pm

My dentist told me on my last visit that fizzy water strips the enamel from your teeth.
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » April 22nd, 2018, 2:30 pm

Yes. it can be harmful because the fizz involved cardon dioxide , some of which dissolves to form carbonic (? Sue) acid. Mind you it can't possibly be as damaging as coke!!
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby aero280 » April 22nd, 2018, 3:13 pm

The problem with taste, usually brackish, in soft water areas is due to the peaty moorland source. It's not part of the treatment to change the flavour of the water, so it's natural. Some organic taste is removed by chlorination, but that's being superseded by ozone treatment and UV. I'm out of the loop now. I've been retired over eight years...

All water companies have to identify the "furthest tap" from every treatment works. The water at that tap is tested frequently. One problem that arises with chlorine taste is that the EU directive requires the minimum level of chlorine to reach that tap once a month. This can cause problems in areas that are long and thin with the treatment works at one end. Taps near the works can get a higher than normal level at that point in the month. In the days of "more men, less profit", the same thing was achieved by regular flushing of the mains and checking with a test.
aero280
Site Admin

Postby cyprusmoira » April 22nd, 2018, 3:46 pm

aero280 wrote:

The problem with taste, usually brackish, in soft water areas is due to the peaty moorland sourc

When my parents lived in Torquay my Mother always maintained that she could tell when their water supply came from one of the Dartmoor sources as it tasted peaty.

Moira
When life gives you lemons, make sorbet
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby StokeySue » April 22nd, 2018, 4:55 pm

Yes, fizz turns to carbonic acid

I don't think UK medics usually comment on mineral water, they just tell you to drink more water!

There are concerns about plasticisers escaping from the bottles into the water, and I'm sure I read somewhere that bottled water is more likely (in the UK) to be contaminated with faecal bacteria than tap water is

The problem is it's called mineral water. Which suggests to many people it can contain enough mineral to have a useful effect on the body. The amounts of calcium, magnesium, selenium, copper etc in there are usuall very small, and not always in the best form for absorption. BUT some do contain enough sodium, and/or magnesium sulphate (Epsom salt) to be a bad idea for those with high blood pressure or for infants. I have seen French and Italian mineral waters labelled to warn you not to put them in baby bottles.
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby KC2 » April 22nd, 2018, 5:53 pm

When I was prescribed alendronic acid for osteoporosis the instructions are to only take it with tap water, not with mineral water or fizzy water - they don't say why!
KC2
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » April 22nd, 2018, 6:25 pm

I think that Sue has hit the nail on the head. I have spent some years in the water industry and we have been shown how different the ratio of various minerals can be, sodium is one that can vary hugely. Just go to a supermarket and compare the small print on the label. Your water company can also provide a breakdown of your own (usual) water supply. I can see how some types could affect medical issues ir medicines. I am very impressed by UK standards, something we have to thank the EU for. As we follow EU directives, I hope that the rest of Europe does too. As Aero days, you only have to leave water in the fridge for a while if you get a chlorine taste. I was unhappy recently as my local water source changed from somewhere I deemed nice to somewhere I didn't care for so much. I can honestly say the new source is fine and I can't tell the difference. I o ce attended a taste test in Bath. Various well known brands and tap water.. The unanimous winner was the local water cool from the fridge. The unanimous loser was the local water left at room temp. The bottled waters varied hugely.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby KC2 » April 22nd, 2018, 10:37 pm

Something I've found when I have kept tap water in a plastic bottle and out of the fridge is that it gets quite pongy, whereas even if bottled water is open and unrefridgerated, it doesn't, but stays fresh enough to drink even after a few weeks. Not sure why this should be ...
KC2
Registered

Postby aero280 » April 22nd, 2018, 10:42 pm

Possibly all the chemicals in the bottled water are killing off anything that grows... :o

It's more likely that the bottle that has the mineral water in it has been sterilised, whereas you probably just rinsed out the bottle you put the tap water in.
aero280
Site Admin

Postby StokeySue » April 23rd, 2018, 8:13 am

aero280 wrote:t's more likely that the bottle that has the mineral water in it has been sterilised, whereas you probably just rinsed out the bottle you put the tap water in.

Agree
I used to buy Lidl bottled water to keep in the car, as it's good at least until the BB date but I'd not keep a DIY refill much more than 24 hours, I fill the night before, refrigerate, then when I get home I wash (not just rinse) the bottle and make sure it is completely dry inside before I put the cap on to store it (obviously I just refill if I want it at once) - I dry it upside down, on a radiator in winter. Bacteria need water to grow, like the rest of us.

Re Alendronate, it's intended to stick to bone mineral and it's possible it could stick to the minerals in the water and not be properly absorbed, but I don't actually know?
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby KC2 » April 23rd, 2018, 9:32 am

ah, thanks, that does explain why my unsterilised bottles with tap water get so yucky. Presumably it would still be ok to drink if you had to but just not a very pleasant experience!
KC2
Registered

Postby StokeySue » April 23rd, 2018, 9:55 am

I sometimes think in 6 years of higher education the most useful thing I did was a term of Microbiology 101 :lol:

I wouldn't personally drink yucky water
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby KC2 » April 23rd, 2018, 10:31 am

StokeySue wrote:I sometimes think in 6 years of higher education the most useful thing I did was a term of Microbiology 101 :lol:

Speaking as someone who didn't even do Biology O-level and scraped an E for Physics with Chemistry I have an awful lot of respect for you scientists!

StokeySue wrote: I wouldn't personally drink yucky water
Ha, I couldn't agree more! Just mulling over what's actually harmful :lol:
KC2
Registered

Postby StokeySue » April 23rd, 2018, 10:37 am

There is a genuine risk of anything that is trnasmitted by the faecal oral route such as E Coli getting in there, not so much from your mouth as if you brush the water drops off the neck or touch the inside of the cap. Perhaps not a huge risk in the UK but I wouldn't push my luck.. And I'm very careful when travelling in countries with a higher risk of travellers diarrhoea
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby KC2 » April 23rd, 2018, 10:47 am

Yuk! :sprout: :sprout:
KC2
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » April 23rd, 2018, 12:06 pm

The main risk must be if you drink directly from the bottle, especially if you share with someone else :sprout:
I am a strange person in that I just can't drink from a bottle - I have to have a cup, a galss or a straw (not plastic of course :lol:

Just heard it's a boy! Told you it wouldn't take long!!
Ratatouille
Registered

Return to The Coffee Shop