Painting & decorating

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Painting & decorating

Postby TeresaFoodie » April 24th, 2018, 9:41 am

When I moved into my new pad I was given a decorating voucher for a one bedroom flat as I was faced with the following:

Wet room - just needs some pipes touching up, otherwise fine

Kitchen - just needs a couple of rag rugs on the floor tiles, otherwise fine

Here the fun begins!

Hallway - walls painted cream top half, burgundy bottom half with a black and cream swirly border separating the two (that's got to come off!)

Living room - very badly wallpapered chimney breast pale blue and white pattern, main wall same, end walls again burgundy (what were they thinking!?)

Bedroom - three walls painted nicely pale blue, one main wall the nastiest dark and light grey wallpaper I have ever seen in a pattern which resembles the buttons on the back of a Chesterfield sofa! :sprout:

Ceilings, windows, doors, frames, skirtings all fine. I have heavy curtains for the bedroom and have decided to have blinds at my two living room windows.

In due course I will get new floor tiles for the hall. Living room and bedroom will need carpet. I'm going to be doing the bottom half of all the walls with the paint I've ordered once I am more straight, but because of my shoulder my mum has offered to do the top half! We have our work cut out but it's dead exciting! :bounce: I've gone for pastel pink and blue / grey and Flamenco, in effect bright red, wall for that one to be decided!

It's been at least thirty years since I have done any decorating! Painting paint on paint can't be rocket science, can it? I have a worry that pastels may need two coats over the burgundy, that may well be the only hitch. I've wondered if I can paint straight over wallpaper or is it always best to strip it? I have no idea how long this is all going to take! I know what I'm like. Once I start something I keep going until I fall in a heap. Where to start? Hallway, I thought, where there is no furniture? I keep walking around looking but not doing much! Think I need someone to give me a rocket somewhere, but realistically I think I need to be more prepared than I am before I can start. Too eager!

So, any advice, encouragement, your stories, any disasters, funny happenings, things to watch out for? In exchange I promise to post before and after photos. It's a good job I could look past the ghastly colour schemes when I was given the keys. Things can only get better! :grin:
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Re: Painting & decorating

Postby suffolk » April 24th, 2018, 9:52 am

For painting over dark colours use a coat or two of plain white/magnolia first ... otherwise you'll need several coats of the pastel colour and white/magnolia is usually considerably cheaper than 'colours'.

You can paint over paper but you will see the joins and any lumps and bumps ... it depends how smooth the paper is, how well stuck down it is (you don't want it peeling off as soon as you wet it with paint) and how fussy you want to be. On the other hand, if the surface of the plaster under the paper is not absolutely smooth, painting over the paper may be a good idea ...
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby StokeySue » April 24th, 2018, 9:58 am

Did my own decorating until about 8 years ago

use good paint if you need to cover dark colours, this place is now all Dulux Diamond pro, not cheap but good. A friend who is a pro decorator (City and Guilds etc) says Dulux or Leyland, don't bother with the rest
You can paint over wallpaper if it has a smooth or linen texture as long as there is no sign of peeling but I really wouldn't, you can always see the seams (well I can, and your eyesight is better)
Preparation is the key, clean off the wall paper, wash down any grubby paintwork, remove nails & picture hooks, fill holes (I :luv: Mangers
https://www.therange.co.uk/decorating/adhesives/manger-s-ready-mixed-filler/) and sand the excess filler off (always over fill very slightly and sand back)
Apply masking tape if you need to
Stop working 30 minutes before you think you need to, clean up is essential every session, never ever let paint dry on a brush, cover the bristles wit a poly bag while you have a snack and if you can't clean off immediately at night, put into water (and reshape before drying and dry properly before resusing)

You can see videos online and get books from the library
If we can work out any way of getting it to you you would be welcome to a load of equipment I won't use as my eyesight now stops me
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Suelle » April 24th, 2018, 10:01 am

Start either with your smallest job, or the one which is seen least - practise makes perfect, so it makes sense to leave the living room until last. Maybe the one bedroom wall which needs doing would be a good place to relearn the skills you need, whether you're stripping off the paper then painting, or trying to paint over the paper.

My daughter is teaching herself DIY skills from online resources - Youtube videos etc
Suelle
Global Moderator

Postby scullion » April 24th, 2018, 10:05 am

you have to be careful if you are painting with emulsion over a vinyl (silk) paint, too. as it can craze if you aren't careful. i think the way to combat that is to put a thin layer (watered down) coat first and leave it to dry, then some time later, if it's ok repeat with a first coat of full strength. if you're using a roller (much easier and quicker) remember to cut in around the edges first as it shows less than if you do it after.
scullion
Registered

Postby Busybee » April 24th, 2018, 12:57 pm

Preparation, preparation and more preparation!

The actual painting is only about 30% of the job. If you don’t prepare surfaces then you will never get a good result, especially any woodwork. Also be very wary of deciding the woodwork is ok. Once you do everything else it shows up tatty paintwork.

Screw fix is a good place to buy
‘Trade’ magnolia to cover up your dark colours before you start to add your pastel finishes.

Good luck
Busybee
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » April 24th, 2018, 2:27 pm

Thanks for your advice folks!

Sue - thanks for your offer of items! The voucher covered me on a roller, roller tray and brushes, mum has a wallpaper scraper and knows more about decorating than I do, so I think I should be ok for equipment, but will let you know!

I am definitely going to heed the preparation advice! I also think starting with the horrible bedroom wallpapered wall could be better than starting with the hall as it is just a plain flat wall rather than corners and having to work around my electricity meter box, pipes and a radiator. The chimney breast wallpaper definitely needs stripping as it is virtually hanging off anyway, plus I've been periodically pulling off handfuls! :lol: The rest of the wallpaper seems smooth enough, but I know my mum will want to get it down. It's also going to be worth covering up this nasty burgundy with magnolia before I start applying my carefully chosen colours! Glad I asked. What a waste that could have been!

I have been looking at a rather unsightly half attempt at the concealment of a filled in hatch from living room to kitchen. If it wasn't for the fact that I eventually plan to have bookcases in front of it then it really would have needed a bit of smoothing. Where the fireplace used to be has also been filled in just as shoddily. I will sand that once the wallpaper is off even though the TV will hide most of it. Mind you, if I'm sanding down one I probably should do both!

Ooh, I have a lovely project here as opposed to a year stuck in a bedsit twiddling my thumbs! Bit of a contrast! :bounce:
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Amber » April 24th, 2018, 9:03 pm

I hate cleaning paint brushes, and tend to wrap them (the bristle part) in cling film between coats. They’ve always been fine overnight.
Amber
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » April 24th, 2018, 9:24 pm

Thanks for that Amber, I'll bear that in mind!

I've been chatting with my mum tonight, apparently she loves the living room burgundy! She's suggested strip the pale blue walls, replace with pale pink, keep the burgundy. I am toying with the idea! If I can get the right blinds and carpet in, it could work and would save an awful lot of paint, time, effort.

I actually think I am sold.

The burgundy in the hall has to go though. It makes an already small and dark room seem even darker.

Now where to put the Flamenco red? I am thinking could cover up the small sections of magnolia walls above the cream tiles in the kitchen with it! Favourite colour, red. Favourite room, kitchen. Ooh.....

Is this a plan in the making or what? :grin:
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » April 26th, 2018, 9:37 am

I think somewhere else Tezza, you have mentioned measuring up for carpet ? My tip for this is, if you can afford to do the whole flat is to go with one colour. It will make your place look so much more spacious. I did this when I moved into my house 17 years ago. I chose a pale green pure wool weave. Seems to go with most other colours. Might not be your favourite, but something neutral ?

Just had a thought ... pale grey ? It will go with your pale pink/burgundy room beautifully
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » April 26th, 2018, 11:08 am

I have a carpet quote man turning up this afternoon. I am also going to ask about blinds.

I will bear your comment in mind Pat. :tu: I was also thinking grey. Grey floor tiles hallway then grey carpet living and bedroom. That would also contrast well with the bright red when I do the kitchen! Ooh, grey rag rugs hallway and kitchen!

I wonder if anyone can help........I ordered a paint colour called Florence. This is Johnstone's paint. I stupidly thought that a colour label would be on the tin so threw away the colour chart, but nothing on the tin, now cannot remember what colour is inside the tin, and cannot find it online! I've sent off for another colour chart but in the meantime wondered if anyone might have better luck finding a link?
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » April 26th, 2018, 11:41 am

No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » April 26th, 2018, 11:56 am

Ah, thanks! I knew there was a blue in there somewhere to match the other already blue walls. :grin:
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » April 26th, 2018, 11:59 am

And blue also goes very nicely with grey ;) Very calming :tu:
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » April 26th, 2018, 1:02 pm

That'll be perfect then. And I have been wondering about the wet room. Magnolia walls, pale yellow tiles, typical blue wet room floor. So I think that Florence colour could cover up the magnolia walls in there quite nicely!
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » April 26th, 2018, 3:11 pm

Carpet and blinds quote man has been, measured up, showed me their designs, colours, etc and left me with the quote.

Now, if I had £1300 in the bank I'd have it all done tomorrow! :shock: But I haven't, but at least I have an idea now of what it would cost, say if I got a win on the lottery. :lol:
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » April 26th, 2018, 8:46 pm

Aww, yes these things are expensive. It's worth looking out for people who are replacing their carpets as some discard perfectly good stuff which might fit. My sitting room carpet for years was part of one a friend was going to throw out when she had hers replaced just because she fancied a change. It's also worth looking at the offcuts at carpet shops to see if they might fit. It isn't always necessary to have them fitted by a fitter either if someone can help you put it down. It might not quite be to the standard if Homes and Gardens and you might not get it matching throughout but you will have affordable floor covering. You could even try asking on Freecycle if anyone is throwing out carpet but of course you would only want useable stuff in a nice colour.

Blinds are expensive, curtains from somewhere like Dunelm Mill would be cheaper (or again, look at Freecycle. I have given away new ones on there before but if course they have to fit your window).
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » April 26th, 2018, 10:24 pm

Thanks EM. I am keeping an eye out on Freecycle and the L&D market place on FB send me alerts when somebody in my postcode area is selling something or giving something away. Just yesterday I almost got my hands on a free over door love heart hook for free on collection, but my mum was driving and we ran out of time. If carpets come up I'll be on them straight away! Also, I've looked at my beloved Ikea for blinds. Dead cheap if you can fit them yourself.
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » April 30th, 2018, 11:06 pm

I have wallpaper scraper, sponge, bucket, elbow grease and step ladder at the ready to tackle this monstrous chimney breast first thing. Then, energy levels permitting, the matching wall opposite. Music will help me through it! I'll post after photos. Wish I could start now but not sure that would go down well with my neighbours...
Attachments
WP_20180430_23_48_00_Pro.jpg
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » May 8th, 2018, 3:20 pm

Bottom two thirds of hallway walls painted candyfloss. Love it! Hard work but really enjoyed it. Mum's helping me strip the top third of the chimney breast tomorrow then I'll paint that. :woohoo:

(Why is it my photos keep displaying sideways??? Slightly annoying...)
Attachments
WP_20180508_15_49_19_Pro.jpg
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby suffolk » May 9th, 2018, 5:44 am

Looks gorgeous Tezza 8-)
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » May 9th, 2018, 6:24 am

Thank you!

I don't think I posted a 'before' photo of the hallway. It was the worst decor welcome you could get as you walk through someone's front door. :shock: Dark, gloomy, scruffy. Still a fair bit to do in every direction that you look, but do-able bit by bit and on track to beat my deadline for finishing all walls, woodwork, ceilings and floors by Christmas! :bounce:
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby suffolk » May 9th, 2018, 8:09 am

By the way, your photo was the right way up on my phone, but sideways on my laptop ... just the eccentricities of t'internet :lol:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby StokeySue » May 9th, 2018, 9:47 am

Photo is sideways on the Kindle but rotates to the forrect position if I open it full screen, the pink looks nice and fresh either way
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Meganthemog » May 9th, 2018, 2:13 pm

Dunelm is good for blinds - they seem to do standard window sizes which are really easy to fit. I bought some recently - the really wide wooden slat Venetian type that are very on-trend at the moment - they were £50 each. Gumtree and Freecycle are excellent places to pick up stuff - I have given so much away recently.
Meganthemog
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » May 12th, 2018, 8:24 am

I have been keeping an eye on Freecycle, so thanks for the mention. I've used the site in the past but forgot about it. There is a six rung step ladder up for grabs so I've messaged the owner about that. I'll just post this then will have a look at Gumtree. :tu:

Here's where I'll be spending most of today, sleeves rolled up. Every time I walk past the door, one half of my brain goes 'Whoohoo, look at that wall coming along nicely!' while the other half let's out an enormous 'Noooooooooo!!! No more!!!!!' :lol:
Attachments
WP_20180512_09_11_54_Pro.jpg
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Return to The Coffee Shop