Things you will never understand

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Things you will never understand

Postby Pepper Pig » April 24th, 2018, 8:25 pm

False eyelashes.

I’ve just been to Pizza Express with a chum. On the next table were three twenty somethings all ofwhom were wearing the aforementioned with the ultimate make up. it was a girl’s night out, not a pick up station. Why???
Pepper Pig
Registered

Re: Things you will never understand

Postby TeresaFoodie » April 24th, 2018, 8:50 pm

They make the wearer look like they have a face full of spiders don't they? Seems like some sort of competition if they all had the horrible things on.

Same with false fingernails. False anything really. They look false, usually cost the earth. I tried nails once for a wedding. They didn't last the day / evening. Never again. I prefer to look after my own nails and go au natural!

Stilettos. Uncomfortable things, bad for your posture, dangerous to wear if you ask me. Why would anyone want to constantly wear them as a footwear of choice? We had a dress code at my last workplace which included, for health and safety and smartness reasons, no flip flops. Fair enough, we were not on a beach! But I was scorned one day in our car park whilst on a fire drill by an ogre of a manager in our department because I was wearing sandals, in the middle of summer. My back went up and my face must have said it all when I looked down at what she had on her feet. At least two inch platform soles with at least six inch heels on top of that. How can you possibly carry out your normal daily activities wearing such horrible attachments on your feet? Anyway, she soon shut up. :lol: :tu:
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby StokeySue » April 24th, 2018, 9:06 pm

The acrylic nails with nail art get me - totally impractical, generally hideous, and often cost more than the wearer can really afford. I'd far rather spend my budget on clothes or even scent
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby aero280 » April 24th, 2018, 9:16 pm

There's false eyelashes and false eyelashes!! :D

Screen Shot 2018-04-24 at 22.15.42.png
http://www.saabtechtalk.com/
aero280
Site Admin

Postby earthmaiden » April 25th, 2018, 5:54 am

I love false eyelashes, surely when young you always want to look a bit sexy ... you never know how the night will end :lol:. I was given some as a present when I was 14 but could never get them to stick on properly and never tried again. I would love to have the eyelash extensions you can have nowadays (if the rest of my appearance merited it).

I don't like 'nail art at all.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Busybee » April 25th, 2018, 6:55 am

I don’t like nail art but I do like to see nicely manicured nails.........probably because mine are not!

I think false eyelashes are ok when they look natural, not when it looks like Incy Wincy has crawled across your eyes! I don’t like the very exaggerated look which is in vogue.

My niece has naturally long luscious eyelashes, just like Ermintrude off the Magic Roundabout, as we never cease to remind her :lol:

BB
Busybee
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » April 25th, 2018, 7:00 am

Well I saw the thread title and was set to type in Quantum Theory. And possibly various financial things (which I could understand if I could break through he boredom barrier to pay attention.)

Every time I see false eyelashes (as in the 1.5 cm ones I see people wearing) I can't help feeling how uncomfortable they must be, but perhaps I am wrong. Yes those nails I find, well horrible really, and awfully impractical - do people who type in them get RSI by the need to hold their hands oddly, or do they just not type? But I have never been a nail person, and each to their own re both.

The current mode for very obviously drawn eyebrows is another. I do use a little (brown) powder on my eyebrows which have shrunk (post menopause or thyroid disease - not sure which) and become ridiculously abbreviated and I worry that I am making them look ridiculous. I am sure they are not the same every day :? :D But much as they gall me, I could never do a complete slug-like redraw. Mind you this is a young person's game anyway.

I suppose I am not keen on obvious artifice... or mindless following of fashion. So tatts are right out too for me - especially arm-sized ones, especially ones in pastel shades. Unless they are really good ones. And I shall never grow a beard unless they have been out of fashion for at least five years.

I don't understand why men wear jeans half way down their arses (other than trend fashion following again). It makes them look like they have dachshund legs. How can that be cool? At least that one is waning.

I am sounding so middle aged here...!

But perhaps it's not true to say I don't understand tattoos, and I have nothing against them in principal. It's just a pity they became so trendy.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » April 25th, 2018, 7:31 am

Oh yes, jeans hanging past the back side revealing pantage, horrible! How do they stay up?

Also, ripped jeans! I've seen examples where there has been more rip than jean, and people pay for these holes???
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » April 25th, 2018, 8:29 am

Herbidacious wrote:The current mode for very obviously drawn eyebrows is another

That is something that I do not understand, the other day there was a young woman on TV making a serious statement, because of her eyebrows I could not take her seriously.
Herbi: have you tried dyeing you eyebrows? The other day in the hairdressers there was a client getting her eyebrows dyed at the same time as her hair.

Moira
When life gives you lemons, make sorbet
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » April 25th, 2018, 8:48 am

cyprusmoira wrote:Herbi: have you tried dyeing you eyebrows? The other day in the hairdressers there was a client getting her eyebrows dyed at the same time as her hair.

Been there, done that ... and if your eyebrows are, like mine, very scarce, then dying them makes no difference at all. I have also had semi-permanent eyebrows tattooed on. I just feel so 'bald' without eyebrows, but use an eye pencil these days. My nails are on gardeners hands, so very tatty looking, although when I was regularly having the gel nails, they were surprisingly long lasting. Trouble is they wreck your nail bed. :( I have a couple of small tattoos. I don't regret them, but no intention of getting any more as they are there for a reason.

On tv the other morning was a programme showing the dangers of not applying sunscreen thoroughly and often enough. They used a netball team to show how you should and should not apply it on your face. I was surprised to notice several of the team with extremely thick and long lashes (.. couldn't possibly have been their own ;) ) When their face was examined under UV light, it was clear they had very carefully avoided their whole eye area, leaving it extremely liable to sun burn and ultimately skin cancer.

On the subject of eye lashes, I have never been able to use eyelash curlers (they make my stomach churn) and can't bear to watch an advert for hayfever that features (false) eye lashes coated in pollen, grasses and seeds ... :sprout: :sprout: :sprout:
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » April 25th, 2018, 9:59 am

I'm not a fan of nail art either but always have neat, shortish manicured painted nails. I don't like the pointy talon like nails!

I like false lashes when they're put on me by a professional - the lashes which are glued individually and look natural. I haven't got the patience to ever do it myself unfortunately.

I never understand why some women go around in public with curlers in their hair :shock: I'm sure they don't give a fig and probably have amazing plans that evening but if it was me i'd feel like a complete berk! :D
OneMoreCheekyOne
Registered

Postby StokeySue » April 25th, 2018, 10:05 am

TeresaFoodie wrote:Oh yes, jeans hanging past the back side revealing pantage, horrible! How do they stay up?

And my pet hate, jeans cut down to hot pants with the pocket bags hanging down below the legs, looks deformed

My dad swore I'd taken 5 years off his life by leaving a strip of false eyelash in the bath when I was anout 15, gave him a turn (he lived to 92)
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby suffolk » April 25th, 2018, 11:18 am

Pepper Pig wrote:False eyelashes.

I’ve just been to Pizza Express with a chum. On the next table were three twenty somethings all ofwhom were wearing the aforementioned with the ultimate make up. it was a girl’s night out, not a pick up station. Why???

Pepper ... nowadays makeup isn't about attracting men, it's about keeping up with or scoring points over your girlfriends
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Seatallan » April 25th, 2018, 12:24 pm

I dye my eyebrows and eyelashes and have done so for years. Never worn falsies however.

I can't be doing with 'festival' denim shorts (the sort that are basically denim panties). The wee girls will insist on wearing them as soon as the sun comes out and they suit virtually no-one. Guaranteed to make you look at least a stone heavier than you are and generally even scarier when viewed from the rear :shock:
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby Bubbles » April 25th, 2018, 12:35 pm

I'm not a fan of nail art either but always have neat, shortish manicured painted nails. I don't like the pointy talon like nails!
I agree OMCO, I particularly hate nails which have jewels encrusted on to them - yuk. Tattoos are also a no no for me. There is a programme called "Say Yes to the Dress UK" and one I saw, the bride had to wear a hideous long sleeved dress as she did not want her tattoos which ran from her wrist and on to her shoulder to be exposed on her wedding day!
Bubbles
Registered

Postby Catherine » April 25th, 2018, 12:54 pm

I guess it's a case of to each their own though. We may find it odd but if it isnt hurting anyone then it is entirely up to them
Catherine
Registered

Postby suffolk » April 25th, 2018, 12:58 pm

Oh absolutely agree Catherine ... I make a point of assuming that everyone I see has taken a look in the mirror before going out in the morning had has been happy with what they've seen there, no matter how odd I may think they look :D
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » April 25th, 2018, 1:11 pm

I wore false eyelashes once - to a formal dinner and of course the enevitable happened. haven't done it since.

I can't understand why people feel the need to wear night attire outside the bedroom either. Quite a few of the older neighbours here don't ssm to get dressed in anything else much before noon. Last year we came across 2 of them picking cherries in the orchard dressed in their peignoirs and bedroom slippers

Some of the sights we see now the tourists are with us are quite eye poppingly awful. Tiny shorts on less than tiny women and those stupid shorts which aren't really shorts and have dangling toggles and zips all over. and sometimes, horror of horrors ,worn with lace-up shoes and dark socks
Je pense, donc je suis. - Decartes
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » April 25th, 2018, 2:53 pm

Rats: I know what you mean, sometimes I feel like stopping visitors and saying that I know that they are on holiday but please spare a thought for those of us who live here.
When life gives you lemons, make sorbet
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby StokeySue » April 25th, 2018, 3:06 pm

Women, often my age, and usually considerably more than my size who think they can waddling London clad in a few shreds of Lycra astound me

Why do you think they wait until they become tourists? :evil:

Catherine wrote:We may find it odd but if it isnt hurting anyone then it is entirely up to them

We aren't trying to stop them, just expressing our amazement
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby aero280 » April 25th, 2018, 3:45 pm

I'm off to trim my eyebrows!! If I frown, my glasses get pushed off my nose!! :o
aero280
Site Admin

Postby scullion » April 25th, 2018, 3:49 pm

suffolk wrote: nowadays makeup isn't about attracting men, it's about keeping up with or scoring points over your girlfriends

body dysmorphia and self esteem issues may also be put in the mix.

in some cultures (and i'm talking about this country not other country/continent cultures) expectation for women to appear in a certain way are not just from other females but are also assumed by a sector of the male population.
i know that the book 'the beauty myth' by naomi wolfe is more america based and getting rather old now but many of the points made in it are still current today.

would that we could all have elizabeth taylor's genetic eyelash 'problem'!
scullion
Registered

Postby Seatallan » April 25th, 2018, 4:55 pm

Ratatouille wrote:I can't understand why people feel the need to wear night attire outside the bedroom either. Quite a few of the older neighbours here don't ssm to get dressed in anything else much before noon. Last year we came across 2 of them picking cherries in the orchard dressed in their peignoirs and bedroom slippers

Oh god...that could well be me.... :oops: :lol:
Seatallan
Registered

Postby Seatallan » April 25th, 2018, 4:59 pm

Mind you, on a similar theme, I can't be doing with those sandals that look like mule-style slippers with the faux fur. They were oddly fashionable last summer and have come out of the woodwork with the sunshine. On the other hand, I love the way Gurkha ladies wear actual slippers when out and about instead of shoes. I would do the same given half a chance. :)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby scullion » April 25th, 2018, 5:22 pm

My pyjamas call themselves leisure suits when they leave the bedroom.
I'd draw the line at shopping in them - unless they were under a boiler suit...
scullion
Registered

Postby StokeySue » April 25th, 2018, 5:44 pm

scullion wrote:My pyjamas call themselves leisure suits when they leave the bedroom.

My pyjamas too, And my kaftan thingumajigs that I wear instead of dressing gowns

After all, pyjamas were in Europe originally beachwear or cruise wear, not sleepwear. In this house definitely more for lounging on the sofa than going to sleep in
But I wouldn't pick cherries in them, and slippers definitely stay indoors or on the balcony, half the point is that the soles stay clean
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Prettykiwicrazy » April 25th, 2018, 6:07 pm

Seatallan wrote:I dye my eyebrows and eyelashes and have done so for years. Never worn falsies however.

I can't be doing with 'festival' denim shorts (the sort that are basically denim panties). The wee girls will insist on wearing them as soon as the sun comes out and they suit virtually no-one. Guaranteed to make you look at least a stone heavier than you are and generally even scarier when viewed from the rear :shock:

I know I saw some lovely looking slim teenage girls wearing tiny hot pants the other and they just looked like denim nappies. I get my nails done every 3 weeks , false , :D , occasionally with glitter :shock: and sometimes nail art :aww: haha .
I get the whole make up thing to a certain extent . I think there’s real skill in some makeup looks and if wearing a good face full makes u feel good then why not.

Things I don’t understand
Socks and sandals ! People that bite their nails . Double dippers when it comes to communal eating . People who say no offence, but .... you clearly want to offend me do why dress it up
Prettykiwicrazy
Registered

Postby jrc » April 25th, 2018, 6:26 pm

It’s 7.30 pm and I have nighty and dressing gown present. :oops:
jrc
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » April 25th, 2018, 6:34 pm

I wish I could find someone to do my nails - ever. I don't like talons or false ones but I would love to have beautifully manicured nails. Infortunately What with plants, cooking. hens and cats it never seems to work out.
Je pense, donc je suis. - Decartes
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » April 25th, 2018, 6:50 pm

cyprusmoira wrote:
Herbidacious wrote:Herbi: have you tried dyeing you eyebrows? The other day in the hairdressers there was a client getting her eyebrows dyed at the same time as her hair.

Moira

The problem is not so much thinning along the eyebrows, as that I have lost a good centimetre off their overall length i.e. they do not extend as far as they did in the direction of my nose, if that makes sense! I used to have quite dark, bushy eyebrows which, in my youth, I was so embarrassed by. (Was even teased about it at school, although really they weren't that extreme. We are not talking monobrow here!) Ironically, now they are almost fashionable, or at least acceptable, I've lost them!

I know that loss of the ends of eyebrows is a symptom of hypothyroidism, but that might be off the other/'ear end' of them... I suspect this may one of the indignities of (post) menopause. My legs and arms seem a lot less hairy too, and you may remember my head :( Sorry if that was all tmi!
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » April 25th, 2018, 6:51 pm

Sorry just saw your post, Pat. I have thought about eyebrow tattoos. Did it work? Did it hurt?!
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Grasshopper » April 25th, 2018, 7:30 pm

Ripped jeans - I mean, WHY?
High heels - flats all the way for me!
Nail varnish - the smell makes me retch :sprout:
Make up - NIL. I am what I am and what you see is what you get - grey hair and all ;) :lol:
:bounce:
Grasshopper
Spring ventures forth to plant the grain
And Summer dries the straw
Autumn gathers in the harvest
And Winter shuts the door

Grasshopper
Registered

Postby aero280 » April 25th, 2018, 7:42 pm

I was wearing my pyjamas until 1.30pm today. I only changed because there was a possibility we might have gone shopping. But in the end we didn't...
aero280
Site Admin

Postby uschi » April 25th, 2018, 8:41 pm

I am lucky and have long eyelashes, which I dye. It's easier than applying mascara (I am half blind and it does not agree with my eyes, either).

False eyelashes are great for Karneval. You can laugh tears and not much happens. :lol:
uschi
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » April 25th, 2018, 10:12 pm

I have been going grey since I was in my early twenties so have over two decades of covering up experience under my belt, It's probably not going to stop any time soon. In fact, I bought a deep plum colour today to be applied after my haircut tomorrow even though I recently swore I'd stick to dark brown. Oops!

As for tattoos, I think they can look great or awful to the observer, but it is a really personal thing and not something to be entered into lightly, and as long as you are happy with yours who cares what anyone else thinks? I had a small one on my now defunct right shoulder 1996. No regrets, I still love it. I passed out having it done and said 'Never again!' Then there's me having five cat paw prints etched on my left arm about a year ago. I watched the whole process and didn't feel a thing. I had the top of my left ear re-pierced at the same time. Again, no regrets, in fact I see them as an unfinished piece which needs further work, probably floral interwoven between the paw prints. I'd never say never to having more, but I'd draw the line at huge tattoos that cover large areas of the body or places like the neck, behind the ear, on the face, fingers, wrists, feet, yuck!
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby karadekoolaid » April 25th, 2018, 11:39 pm

I have to confess.....

I have never used false eyelashes. Yet. :lol: :lol:
" Bite off more than you can chew, then chew like Hell!"
karadekoolaid
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » April 26th, 2018, 8:13 am

Herbidacious wrote:Sorry just saw your post, Pat. I have thought about eyebrow tattoos. Did it work? Did it hurt?!

I survived but was glad it was over and didn't seem to make that much difference iirc ! Getting eyeliner tattoed was a killer though :shock: :scared: My therapist use to do her own :terrified: I am looking into micro-blading now ;)
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby Seatallan » April 26th, 2018, 8:15 am

Grasshopper wrote:Ripped jeans - I mean, WHY?

Wearing a pair as we speak!! :lol:
Seatallan
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » April 26th, 2018, 8:37 am

Ah I think microblafinf was what I was looking at.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby scullion » April 26th, 2018, 10:27 am

the thing i couldn't get my head round, when seeing a tv programme a few years ago, was men injecting their scrotums with silicone, creating ginormous appendages that made walking more difficult. bizarre!
scullion
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » April 26th, 2018, 10:56 am

My God! Scrotum implants!!!??? Having them hanging there must be uncomfortable enough as it is without making them bigger! A bit like breast implants. Nuisance things they are anyway I think! I'm thankful mine have shrunk with age or something and no longer get in the way. :lol: :tu: Can't imagine wanting humungous ones!
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby MagicMarmite » April 26th, 2018, 1:24 pm

I'm guilty of lots of these!
I like false eyelashes, I've long nails, though they are my own, I wear ripped jeans and short shorts, often with fishnet tights and heels! I have two tattoos and may get more.
I will not grow old gracefully, and I don't look bad for 40 considering what my body's been through :D
I bought a playsuit the other week which my 16yr old said was too skimpy, excellent, exactly what I wanted!
MagicMarmite
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » April 26th, 2018, 3:33 pm

Way to go MM.. :bounce: :tu: :kneel:

Added: And I would probably be wearing all that stuff if a) I was a couple of decades younger and b) I was a couple of stone lighter ;) :bounce: :tu:
Last edited by PatsyMFagan on April 26th, 2018, 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby StokeySue » April 26th, 2018, 3:53 pm

I'm happy to wear ripped jeans when I have ripped them by wearing them, but I don't get buying artificially ripped ones, or pre-aged leather jackets - or the (now going I think) fashion for painting furniture then distrsssing it to acheive a "shabby chic" look; nothing against genuine shabby chic but I doubt you can acheive it by beating up chests of drawers with bicycle chains and sand paper
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby suffolk » April 26th, 2018, 3:59 pm

Remember when Levi denim jackets were all the rage ... worn ones with frayed collars, cuffs and seams/hems? Probably in the mid to late 80s. Imagine my 14 year old son's incomprehension when he discovered that his grandmother, having nothing better to do when 'babysitting' him and his sister, trimmed off all the carefully frayed edges and stitched every bit neatly so it looked smart again :lol: ... she never understood what she'd done wrong :?
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » April 26th, 2018, 4:18 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby suffolk » April 26th, 2018, 4:23 pm

He's 45 and still expostulates about it!!! :lol:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby MagicMarmite » April 26th, 2018, 6:09 pm

OMG Suffolk, my Dad once polished my white trainers, I was horrified. :D
Though now I tell my daughter she'll catch her death going out with no coat. I get "the look" :D
MagicMarmite
Registered

Postby suffolk » April 26th, 2018, 6:28 pm

MagicMarmite wrote:OMG Suffolk, my Dad once polished my white trainers, I was horrified. :D

What, with tennis white?????????!!!!!!!!!!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:

Did you ever speak to him again???
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby aero280 » April 26th, 2018, 6:34 pm

My mother washed my uni scarf. :terrified: :terrified: :terrified: :terrified: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

It had white stripes in it; so it showed!! :cry: :cry: :cry:
aero280
Site Admin

Next

Return to The Coffee Shop