Things you will never understand

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Re: Things you will never understand

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » April 26th, 2018, 6:42 pm

I own ‘paid for’ ripped jeans, I love them :lol:

I’m laughing at the sartorial errors! My mum once tumble dried a brand new mohair type jumper and shrunk it to a child’s size.

I don’t understand the people that go out in winter with bare legs and yet a big warm coat. Put some tights on!
OneMoreCheekyOne
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » April 26th, 2018, 7:53 pm

I mentioned on the savvy shopper thread - people who go shopping in complete bed attire. I have seen one lady on more than one occasion in pyjamas, long dressing gown, slippers, wandering around with a shopping basket in our Co-op. I can see no reason whatsoever for anyone to have to do that. If you are fit and able bodied enough to be able to make your way to a shop and walk around selecting items, surely you would want to make the effort to at least look like you have done more than just roll out of bed? Of course there could be some medical related reason for it in her case.
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » April 26th, 2018, 7:53 pm

OneMoreCheekyOne wrote:I don’t understand the people that go out in winter with bare legs and yet a big warm coat. Put some tights on!

Or the young girls I see wearing very short skirts with bare legs, skimpy, sleeveless tops, bare midriffs and a large scarf doubled round their neck - huh ? :aww: :? :rolleyes:
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » April 26th, 2018, 9:04 pm

Ha ha - we sound like a right bunch of old fogeys! Depending on your age I'll bet most of you at some time have been out wearing something you felt like the bees knees in which got the oldies tutting or saying you looked 'common. It's all a matter of taste but you can feel a bit out of place if you get it wrong. Memories of a small teenage church group circa 1969. Me in what I considered to be a beautiful wrap around mini dress which revealed a lot of leg and cleavage and had beautiful puffy sleeves.ots of mascara, eye liner and almost white lipstick. Left home feeling gorgeous, spent the evening feeling so improperly dressed amongst the other boringly dressed teens in the group .. :oops:. I loved that dress all the same and was always amazed that my mother allowed me to wear it.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby StokeySue » April 26th, 2018, 10:31 pm

I was tutted at for what felt like years by the old ladies on the bus for the shortness of my mini skirts. Then I got the first drippy hippy maxi skirt in town, and was tutted at because it was "dirty" because "dragging in the dirt" - neither of course, it was mostly white and obviously clean :rolleyes:

I'm not failing to understand all current fashions - when I first wore jeans we aged them by wearing them in the sea - but the bit I can't get is having it done in a factory, "custonisation" that is not in fact individual or custom
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby MagicMarmite » April 26th, 2018, 10:44 pm

I sometimes pop to the shop in my jamas, which are jama bottoms, a tshirt, a hoody and Converse, sometimes I even drive there when it's less than a 5 minute walk, because I can!
Tezza I'm suprised at you, how do you know from looking who is fit and able bodied, you can't see my lungs or bones or stomach or heart.
Please stop judging, it's incredibly small minded and hurtful.
MagicMarmite
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » April 26th, 2018, 11:44 pm

MM - sorry but I take offence in you saying I am small minded. You really do not know me enough to be able to say you are surprised. I know a fair bit about being or not being able bodied and able minded. At my lowest with severe depression and unable to put on a bra (still can't!) I still wouldn't want to draw attention to myself by turning up shopping in pyjamas. Your outfit sounds more like casual attire, not bed attire. At the end of the day wear what you like, I shan't lose sleep, I just couldn't do it myself.
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » April 27th, 2018, 12:37 am

I must say that I sometimes wonder at the difference between my nice pyjamas with pretty printed bottoms and a pink t shirt style top and the patterned cotton trousers I wear with a t shirt in warm weather.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » April 27th, 2018, 10:54 am

I've just seen a Caribbean lady in Waitrose dressed in extremely expensive black attire. The trousers and the jacket were covered with gold zips. :o

I don't think everyone could carry off that look.
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » April 27th, 2018, 12:16 pm

PatsyMFagan wrote:
OneMoreCheekyOne wrote:I don’t understand the people that go out in winter with bare legs and yet a big warm coat. Put some tights on!

Or the young girls I see wearing very short skirts with bare legs, skimpy, sleeveless tops, bare midriffs and a large scarf doubled round their neck - huh ? :aww: :? :rolleyes:

You Southerners have clerly never seen the Bigg Market on a Friday and Saturday night even in the depths of winter. :terrified: :terrified: :terrified: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Edit - I just found this:
https://www.google.com/search?q=How+geo ... 50&bih=654
I hasten to add i have never ever been to the Bigg market at night unless it was to get to the car after a visit to the Theatre Royal :lol: :lol:
Je pense, donc je suis. - Decartes
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby suffolk » April 27th, 2018, 12:44 pm

Ratatouille wrote:You Southerners have clerly never seen the Bigg Market on a Friday and Saturday night even in the depths of winter.

.... or the Prince of Wales Road in Norwich at the weekend ......... I'm constantly expecting to see ambulances treating hypothermia or multiple chilblains at the very least :rolleyes: :lol:
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby StokeySue » April 27th, 2018, 1:01 pm

There's a teen logic to not wearing a coat to go out bar hopping or clubbing
1. They don't stay in one venue, and the venues don't have good cloakrooms, so a good coat would quickly get lost or ruined
2. They wear their best clothes, designer label if possible, and can barely afford the tops, a coat to the same standard would be prohibitive, and would hide the fancy outfit and any bling

Friend did his A&E rotation at Newcastle, he got sworn at for wanting to cut off a silk top to treat a girl badly injured in a cat fight, the blouse in question cost far more than anything his partner or I would have bought, except perhaps for a wedding

Same thing in Durham, the high heels on the cobbles sound like the old time clatter of clogs on a Saturday night
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » April 27th, 2018, 1:06 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :tu:
Je pense, donc je suis. - Decartes
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby PurpleLuv » April 27th, 2018, 3:34 pm

Code: Select all
Depending on your age I'll bet most of you at some time have been out wearing something you felt like the bees knees in which got the oldies tutting or saying you looked 'common.

I remember asking my Mum advice on an outfit for a night out clubbing, I’d not been to a club for years, I showed her two outfits, one very skimpy (& cold) & one slightly more reservered, she choose that one, I asked why, “the first one says feck me, the nice second one says date me first :lol: :lol:

I met H that night :luv:
PurpleLuv
Global Moderator

Postby mum-at-the-oven » April 27th, 2018, 4:30 pm

Our Tesco banned women in pyjamas thankfully but a few weeks ago I had the awful experience of walking behind a new neighbour (in the afternoon) on her way to the local shops and her hair looked as though she really had just got out of bed and she wore flimsy, cream patterned pyjamas without any underwear whatsoever and a pair of sliders.

She was with her OH and I couldn't get passed her so I crossed the road :rolleyes:
mum-at-the-oven
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » April 27th, 2018, 4:34 pm

My elder son gave up his gym membership because of two local women who turned up every morning in their dressing gowns. :o
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby suffolk » April 27th, 2018, 4:47 pm

How weird :?
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby mum-at-the-oven » April 27th, 2018, 5:03 pm

I don't like people wandering around the house in their PJ's let alone going out in them - it looks so slovenly. My OH used to wear a dressing gown all day if he wasn't going out -until it got "lost". My kids know never to replace it :lol:

After the birth of number 4 child, my visiting midwife told me off for being dressed as she said it gave the impression to everyone that I was capable and didn't need help and now certain hospitals are encouraging in- patients to dress in day wear to aid their recovery
mum-at-the-oven
Registered

Postby Busybee » April 27th, 2018, 5:11 pm

It a big thing in hospitals at the moment, getting people up and dressed rather than wearing nightwear during the day. End PJ Paralysis is the name of the project, and is being used to aid recovery.

BB
Busybee
Registered

Postby mum-at-the-oven » April 27th, 2018, 5:15 pm

End Pj Paralysis is a good name for it :tu:
mum-at-the-oven
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » April 27th, 2018, 5:30 pm

suffolk wrote:How weird :?
suffolk wrote:How weird :?

That he gave up his membership or that they turned up in their dressing gowns? :o
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby suffolk » April 27th, 2018, 5:32 pm

Both :lol:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » April 27th, 2018, 5:54 pm

He’s very minimalist, gay and very rich. He could afford it!
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby suffolk » April 27th, 2018, 5:56 pm

I'm very pleased to hear it 8-)
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby aero280 » April 27th, 2018, 5:59 pm

One of my engineering colleagues came back from a weekend at home with her family. She said that on the Saturday night her 14 year old sister got "glammed up" to go out, wearing a very short skirt and tight top.

My colleague said to her mother "You're not letting her go out wearing that, are you?". The reply was "Why not! We let you go out wearing the same things". :D
http://www.saabtechtalk.com/
aero280
Site Admin

Postby Zosherooney » April 28th, 2018, 4:47 am

I love my fleecy jim jams on the odd day in winter I do wear them all day, but I don't wear them at during the night !!!!! :o I put them on when I get up.... As far as I am concerned they are just items of attire. I have been known to take the bin out in them but never to the supermarket....... yet!

I don't like people wandering around the house in their PJ's let alone going out in them - it looks so slovenly

Then don't wear slovenly PJ's. Wear nice ones !
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » April 28th, 2018, 6:33 am

I look forward to putting my pyjamas on every evening once I know I don't need to leave my front door for any reason or am not going to be seeing anyone until the next day, probably by about 8pm. I did crumble last night though when I knew my third plumber of the day was likely to be coming out and i put them on. He turned up at about 10pm so I didn't feel too slobby about it. These days i never wear them during the day even if I am not planning on going out. This harks back to living in that horrible bedsit where I was so fed up I could go days without bothering to get dressed. Now, getting dressed early, perking my hair up and make up on sets me up nicely for whatever the day throws at me. That's just a personal thing, each to their own whilst indoors, or as Zosh says, putting the bin out, pottering in the garden maybe.
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby mum-at-the-oven » April 28th, 2018, 8:42 am

Zosherooney wrote:Then don't wear slovenly PJ's. Wear nice ones !

Zosherooney
Registered
 No such things Zosh - you wouldn't wear wellies to a wedding! I have no objection to anyone wearing a track/leisure suit around the house but PJ's is slovenly and screams that you can't even be bothered to dress yourself!
mum-at-the-oven
Registered

Postby suffolk » April 28th, 2018, 9:01 am

We have no real way of knowing whether what might be seen as 'pyjamas' are actually 'lounge suits' .... we also have no way of knowing whether the person wearing them actually wore them to bed last night, or whether they slept in something else and put the 'pyjamas/lounge suits' on when they got up this morning.

Acceptable dress changes throughout the ages. It used not to be considered decent for women to wear trousers ... now many women don't even own a frock. My mother thought that jeans were 'workwear' but nowadays they're high fashion.

People should wear what they feel comfortable in ... we have invitations to weddings that stipulate that I should wear a hat, 'the bigger the better' and that my OH should wear morning dress ....as if we don't know how to dress appropriately :shock:

I object to being told what to wear ... it's very declassé. People with real style don't notice such things.

;)
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby mum-at-the-oven » April 28th, 2018, 9:17 am

I think that with womens wear especially that there is a definite difference between lounge suits and pyjamas.

Lounge suits are to lounge in and pyjamas are made to sleep in. Just personal expectations and standards and people with real style- by definition - I am sure wouldn't wear pyjamas through the day .
mum-at-the-oven
Registered

Postby smitch » April 28th, 2018, 9:19 am

I wear pj bottoms at home. Years of suffering with abdominal pain and bloating mean it was much more comfortable. I’m no longer suffering but have carried on. I don’t sleep in them and as far as I’m concerned I can wear what I want in my own home. It doesn’t mean I haven’t had a wash, done my teeth etc either.
smitch
Registered

Postby suffolk » April 28th, 2018, 9:23 am

mum-at-the-oven wrote:people with real style- by definition - I am sure wouldn't wear pyjamas through the day .

http://debyclark.blogspot.co.uk/2013/04 ... beach.html :)

Whoops! Edited to say I managed to delete this when I added the link

"In 1931, Vogue magazine declared, "A woman may and does wear pyjamas to quite formal dinners in her own house, to other people's dinners in town and country if you know them well and the more iconoclastic members of the female sex even wear them to the theatre."
Last edited by suffolk on April 28th, 2018, 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby scullion » April 28th, 2018, 9:26 am

mum-at-the-oven wrote:No such things Zosh - you wouldn't wear wellies to a wedding! I have no objection to anyone wearing a track/leisure suit around the house but PJ's is slovenly and screams that you can't even be bothered to dress yourself!

well, that depends where the wedding is, surely? it would scream idiocy if you wore posh shoes or stilettos in the middle of a muddy field.
what is the difference between a leisure suit and pyjamas?
why is it an indication that you can't be bothered to dress yourself if it is a conscious choice to wear something that you consider the most comfortable thing going?
i have been known to dig the garden in mine. when you want something to cover yourself from the sun, your jeans are too heavy, a string top too exposing for the shoulders/arms a pair of pyjamas has been the best, loose clothing going - worn with wellies or gardening clogs - why would i buy special light clothing to do the same job?

sorry but giving up a gym membership because someone wears a dressing gown there is a bit of an affectation, surely! is the point of going to a gym doing the exercise or being seen in the 'right' place?
seeing a couple of women (northern holiday makers) shopping in tesco one day last years wearing big hair rollers doesn't put me off going to tesco (although tescos ethics do).
scullion
Registered

Postby mum-at-the-oven » April 28th, 2018, 9:37 am

It's personal pride and dignity.

I wear joggers all the time at home - they're loose and comfortable along with a T shirt. They like all my clothes are old - I don't have new clothes with very few exceptions but I am not embarrassed to open the door to the postman in them.
mum-at-the-oven
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » April 28th, 2018, 9:39 am

Reading back I think I have hit my own nail on the head for me. Wear suitable, practical clothing for whatever you are doing, comfort being essentially the most important factor, but also decency of course. For me that is totally separate from what I wear in bed. Nobody sees me wearing what I wear in bed, only me, and my mum when I had to share her bed with her for a few nights recently. Bed wear might be pyjamas, a vest and light shorts when very warm, a fleecy robe thing in winter sometimes. These are removed when I get up and make the bed and are folded up, finished. Then I might dress to go out casually, dress even more casually to stay in and potter, put bins out, etc, but I'm still dressed. I would be mortified if any of my neighbours or their visitors or anyone else for that matter saw me in my bed wear. The only time it's happened is when I've been laid up in bed ill and there's been an unexpected knock on the door.
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby suffolk » April 28th, 2018, 9:46 am

scullion wrote:well, that depends where the wedding is, surely? it would scream idiocy if you wore posh shoes or stilettos in the middle of a muddy field.

If the weather carries on like this there's every chance that wellies will be the most appropriate footwear for my niece's wedding ... along with best frock, flowery hat and morning suit .... as the reception will be in the grounds of my farmer brother's home :lol:
There will be titled folk attending ... they'll be sure to have the best wellies :lol:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Badger's mate » April 28th, 2018, 10:19 am

In Oakham a couple of years ago, browsing in a country wear shop, I was amazed at the price of wellies. Hundreds of pounds. Admittedly you got two for that :D but I typically spend about fifteen quid for a pair.
Badger's mate
Registered

Postby smitch » April 28th, 2018, 10:21 am

I am dressed though, I just happen to be wearing clean pyjama bottoms. I really don’t care what other people think of me and I find suggestion I’m lacking in personal pride and dignity rather offensive. I am an adult with a responsible job and I know how to dress appropriately for particular occasions. I have been to a ‘festival style’ wedding in a field where guests were encouraged to wear wellies too :lol:

I just think people should be free to wear what they want and not be shamed or judged for their choices.
smitch
Registered

Postby mum-at-the-oven » April 28th, 2018, 10:53 am

Purely my personal opinion smitch.

I was brought up to get out of bed, wash and dress ready for the day. Possibly because we had no bathroom or heating other than a gas fire in the living room and and an outside loo - I don't know but I never saw my parents in their bedclothes unless they were in bed.
mum-at-the-oven
Registered

Postby suffolk » April 28th, 2018, 11:27 am

If my pjs cost in excess of £1,300 a pair I'd flippin' well wear them everywhere ... https://www.harrods.com/en-gb/women/clo ... =HighToLow :shock: :lol:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby suffolk » April 28th, 2018, 11:35 am

Badger's mate wrote:In Oakham a couple of years ago, browsing in a country wear shop, I was amazed at the price of wellies. Hundreds of pounds. Admittedly you got two for that :D but I typically spend about fifteen quid for a pair.

https://www.gumleaf.com/collections/boo ... gIwd_D_BwE

I'd like to buy local ... the Royal ones with the zips look as if they'd suit my high insteps, wide calves and dodgy knees to a tee ... must buy a lottery ticket :idea:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » April 28th, 2018, 12:15 pm

scullion wrote:sorry but giving up a gym membership because someone wears a dressing gown there is a bit of an affectation, surely! is the point of going to a gym doing the exercise or being seen in the 'right' place?

His point was that at 6 in the morning they had just got out of bed and were going straight into the pool regardless of washing themselves. Of course it’s a bloody affectation. I thought I’d given a good enough account of my elder son. And to be honest I am getting really fed up with you attacking me every time I have any kind of opinion scullion.

I have the same welly problem Suffs.
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby Busybee » April 28th, 2018, 12:19 pm

Pepper Pig wrote:[quote="scullion

I have the same welly problem Suffs.

Hunter do a festival wellie that laces up, therefore ideal for those of us who have slightly larger calves

BB
Busybee
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » April 28th, 2018, 12:21 pm

The price?
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby suffolk » April 28th, 2018, 12:27 pm

Pepper Pig wrote:His point was that at 6 in the morning they had just got out of bed and were going straight into the pool regardless of washing themselves.

But he doesn't know that, it's purely his supposition ... they may well have slept in other nightwear or none at all, got up, showered and pulled on pyjamas/lounge wear and a 'robe' before going to the gym ..... and anyway, don't most people use the changing room shower before and after using the pool? He probably doesn't have a lot of experience of a wide range of young women's morning routines ;)

On the other hand, there are plenty of people on the Tube in the morning who, I can guarantee, got out of bed, pulled on their clothes and caught their train without having so much as showered or brushed their teeth :sprout: At least in a swimming pool there's the benefit of chlorine :lol:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Busybee » April 28th, 2018, 12:34 pm

Pepper Pig wrote:The price?

I think they were about £60 when I bought them, but this is a few years ago. Ideal for dog walking.

BB
Busybee
Registered

Postby Pepper Pig » April 28th, 2018, 12:39 pm

suffolk wrote:
Pepper Pig wrote:His point was that at 6 in the morning they had just got out of bed and were going straight into the pool regardless of washing themselves.

But he doesn't know that, it's purely his supposition ... they may well have slept in other nightwear or none at all, got up, showered and pulled on pyjamas/lounge wear and a 'robe' before going to the gym ..... and anyway, don't most people use the changing room shower before and after using the pool? He probably doesn't have a lot of experience of a wide range of young women's morning routines ;)

*sigh*. I keep trying to explain that it is because he is minimalist, gay, very rich and yes, has an affectation. But in his defence he tweeted the photos every morning for weeks. The women concerned (and bear in mind that this is at 6.30 am) were forty somethings in fluffy dressing gowns, with bed hair, and with fags hanging out of their mouths.

I’m off. I no longer find this a safe place.
Pepper Pig
Registered

Postby suffolk » April 28th, 2018, 12:47 pm

Well, if you'd said about fags hanging out of their mouths .... :sprout:

I don't go to gyms but I'd presumed that they wouldn't allow smoking on the premises ... thought they were about being healthy :?
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » April 28th, 2018, 1:00 pm

I suspect that PP's son's suspicions were correct and if he found it unpleasant then made his choice as is his right. I have to admit that I wouldn't tart myself up before going to a gym or pool in the morning only to have to do it all again afterwards but consider I observe basic niceties where hygiene is concerned. A lot of people I work with shower or bath before bed but not again in the morning when we are on early shift. When you think it wasn't so long ago that a weekly bath was the norm for many it's amazing how our basic standards have changed.

I think to go to swimming in a towelling dressing gown is quite a good idea as getting changed when damp is so horrible, but not a fluffy one!
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby suffolk » April 28th, 2018, 1:08 pm

earthmaiden wrote:When you think it wasn't so long ago that a weekly bath was the norm for many ...

And of course, that was only if you needed it ... ;)
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

PreviousNext

Return to The Coffee Shop