Things you will never understand

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Re: Things you will never understand

Postby Grasshopper » May 13th, 2018, 6:56 pm

I've just done the quiz - got 7 - not bad for someone from Yorkshire! :lol:

Regarding clothing covered in motifs - I have a purple nightie covered in owls.
:lol:
Grasshopper
Spring ventures forth to plant the grain
And Summer dries the straw
Autumn gathers in the harvest
And Winter shuts the door

Grasshopper
Registered

Postby WWordsworth » June 24th, 2018, 1:18 pm

It is too warm to sit outside.
My neighbours are using their tumble dryer rather than their washing line.
WWordsworth
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » June 24th, 2018, 1:26 pm

Football
When life gives you lemons, make sorbet
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » June 24th, 2018, 2:26 pm

WWordsworth wrote:It is too warm to sit outside.
My neighbours are using their tumble dryer rather than their washing line.

Waste of electricity, and how can anyone not love that air dried aroma?
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby scullion » June 24th, 2018, 6:49 pm

quite - bonfires and muck spreaders - nothing like it!

ps. we don't own a tumble drier.
scullion
Registered

Postby WWordsworth » June 24th, 2018, 7:53 pm

Aviation fuel and barbecue smoke round here.
WWordsworth
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » June 24th, 2018, 8:03 pm

Right now, ho to set my self watering timer to the tap, it would seem! :evil:

Apart from that, camping, kind of. (Unless you are a child or a masochist or are actually not camping but 'glamping'. And even then...)
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » June 24th, 2018, 8:34 pm

Agree with most of today's comments. Camping isn't supposed to be fun, just cheap! It's the difference between having a break somewhere different or staying at home for many.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Amber » June 24th, 2018, 9:18 pm

Camping these days isn’t always that cheap!

Up until a couple of years ago I used to love camping, but these days (heading towards mid sixties :o ), I think (know :oops: ), I prefer 5* luxury. But the weather forecast is so good this week....and the schools haven’t broken up yet....it’s (almost!) very tempting. :D
Amber
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » June 25th, 2018, 7:15 am

Maybe I was doing camping wrong. It's either too hot or too cold, it's damp, you have to go outside to go to the loo in the night. You wake up at dawn and can't get back to sleep. And there are all the other people and the communal (muddy/grassy) showers. Not done since my twenties though.

Yes my holiday stays get progressively luxurious. I tell myself I have done my fair share of grotty places and youth hostels. Time to move on and up!
Last edited by Herbidacious on June 25th, 2018, 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » June 25th, 2018, 7:43 am

It's still exactly the same Herbi (although you can have quite a few creature comforts if you choose). I go for one weekend a year with friends and as we are mostly tramping round the countryside appearance isn't paramount. Facilities tend to be better than they were in the 70's which make it bearable as loos and showers are quite decent. You can even have electricity with the most basic tent if you choose. I don't. I make myself bear it but miss my hair styler and phone charger more each year. I have the dealing with damp grass etc all sussed. It isn't always that cheap. I am paying £51 for 4 nights in the Peak District this weekend - it would be over £200 in a guest house (spent last weekend in Devon in fab guest house but probably couldn't justify two weekends away in a row at that price).
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby suffolk » June 25th, 2018, 8:14 am

I used to love camping ... I'd be doing it still if OH wanted to but his memories of it are different ... I never minded about walking through dew-soaked grass to a dour concrete toilet block or any of the other perceived disadvantages .... loved all the fresh air ... although the North York Moors in Hurricane Charlie was a little testing. One morning when packing up to leave southern Belgium I moved the air mattress to find I'd been sleeping with two toads 'under my pillow' :luv:
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby aero280 » June 25th, 2018, 8:40 am

In the 70s my aunt and uncle used to go on camping holidays in Europe, usually France. My uncle was not a confident driver, so they never booked ahead, always seeking a campsite from aroun 4.30pm. One year they arrived at a campsite that they had used before, but it was full. They were told that everywhere would be full because there was a festival on that weekend. It was suggested that the only place that might have space was a naturist camp site a couple of miles away.

Being keen to stop, they gave it a go, and found that unlike all the other France campsites of the period, the site was absolutely spotless, and it had modern toilets and showers and no mud. They joined the French naturist society and used their campsites all the time after that!! :D
http://www.saabtechtalk.com/
aero280
Site Admin

Postby Gruney » June 25th, 2018, 9:06 am

suffolk wrote:Hurricane Charlie was a little testing.

Snap! We were camping then, too.
Gruney
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » June 25th, 2018, 9:23 am

My last camping trip was in the late '90s. In the 70s I think I once camped in the back garden, but was driven inside by a blackbird at 4am. No mobile phone back in the 90s though. Or iPad, or cameras that need charging.

David Sedaris has an interesting and amusing essay on his trip to a naturist camp in Naked. What stuck in my mind, was having to carry a napkin around with you to sit on :shock:

I had a friend who used to go camping in Filey and Bridlington. In the winter!

My penultimate camping trip was to Dorset... without a car. We had to carry everything (including the tent) for a couple of miles to get from the train station to the camping site. Ditto all food and drink we needed. They had invented disposable barbecues at this point though, which seemed fun at the time.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » June 25th, 2018, 9:27 am

I;m afraid one of my proudest achievemnents in life is to have never slept in a tent or a caravan in my life and don't expect to start now. I just have to have a bed and at least two pillows and a loo near by.

I was persuaded to join the Girl Guides when I was 11 but when I realised camping was involved I left.
Je pense, donc je suis. - Decartes
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby patpoyntz » June 25th, 2018, 10:23 am

We had a tiny caravan when we were first married, so that we could take off, usually to the Lake District or the Northumberland coast whenever we liked, for very little money. When we had the children, rather than buy a bigger van, we started camping, and did so until almost teenage years...they were THE best holidays, I loved the freedom that the boys had, and I like to think it gave them a love of nature and adventure. We also camped in the desert very often when we lived in Abu Dhabi. However, when I got a bit older myself, I started to feel the need for a bit more comfort, and we got a small camper van, which we love. We have the luxury of a comfortable bed and a loo, but can still get away into the country whenever we like. We are so lucky in the Scottish highlands that we can ‘wildcamp’, park up on a wonderful remote spot, with amazing views, and we are not disturbing anyone.
patpoyntz
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » June 25th, 2018, 10:53 am

I have very fond memories of camping since I was a child. Our family budget was tight, so it was pretty much all we could afford, but we loved it! We had our fair share of unpleasant incidents along the way, most already mentioned!

My opinions of camping changed about ten years ago when I booked a week on a campsite in Dorset with my then partner. It rained solid for five days and nights. We could get nothing dry. We were soggy for the whole duration. Just awful! It probably didn't help that when we booked it he told me he'd never been to this location before, then halfway through our stay, one evening as we were gazing over the horizon at the sunset, he pointed out the spot where he and his ex wife would pitch their tent every year. Hmm.....that relationship didn't last long after that. :lol:
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby StokeySue » June 25th, 2018, 11:03 am

I don't suppose either of my parents ever slept in a tent
I've done odd bits, notably 3 weeks in Turkey, I have a picture of me standing up to my ankles in water in my tent in Ephesus, it poured with rain having not rained a drop in September in the previous 25 years

Last time camped was in a nature reserve in Cuba about 6 years ago, just one night, all set up, not very comfortable but worth it to watch the sunset while sipping mojitos then to wake up to Cuban coffee and a tropical dawn chorus,
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Gruney » June 25th, 2018, 11:59 am

I've done lots of camping - scouts, army cadets, family etc. - but what I really liked best was the wilderness camping with an old pal ( who now wears red trousers, Suffs) - we went all over the place, but the most memorable were two consecutive years roaming over Jura, in the Inner Hebrides.
Gruney
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » June 25th, 2018, 1:16 pm

I'd forgotten about Guides camping. Canvas tents, grounds sheets and sleeping bags, no mattresses. Not sure if we had pillows. Cooking done on the fire - a bit hit and miss. I had a love heat relationship with the whole thing. (Teenage girls can be really really nasty. It usually ended in tears.)
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » June 29th, 2018, 4:07 pm

People who are not infirm who stand on moving walkways. The clue is in the name and surely the idea is the get you there more quickly.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby suffolk » June 29th, 2018, 5:37 pm

I don't look infirm, but I wouldn't dare walk on a moving surface ... my knee could give way at the slightest provocation. If I'm on a moving walkway or escalator or similar I have to 'plant' myself solidly and concentrate on keeping my balance. :scared:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby miss mouse » June 29th, 2018, 7:37 pm

suffolk wrote:I don't look infirm, but I wouldn't dare walk on a moving surface ...

I am guessing that Herbi is talking airports here. People standing is no problem, I do not know their reason, it might be eyes it might be other wobble it might be exhaustion, but standing three abreast with huge wheely bags and starting a nice cosy chat is very dim behaviour IMO. I share your rage Herbi and sympathy to Suffs.
miss mouse
Registered

Postby WWordsworth » June 29th, 2018, 8:16 pm

People who step off an escalator and STOP
WWordsworth
Registered

Postby suffolk » June 29th, 2018, 9:07 pm

Of course, blocking the way for other people isn't on, anymore than it is on escalators.
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby WWordsworth » June 29th, 2018, 9:22 pm

But at the top of an escalator it can cause a multiple pile up.
Those of you of a certain age may remember The Sloane Ranger Handbook which described a multiple pile up on the M1 as " a spot of bother on the way"
WWordsworth
Registered

Postby suffolk » June 30th, 2018, 11:12 am

WWordsworth wrote:But at the top of an escalator it can cause a multiple pile up..... "

It's not so good at the bottom either :rolleyes:

And the other day a dippy but very trendy female took a small longhaired dog on an escalator without picking it up and carrying it ... the possibilities were too horrid to be contemplated ... I nearly said something but OH thought it might result in a fight so I kept my mouth firmly closed.
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » June 30th, 2018, 1:12 pm

The stupid things that dog owners do never ceases to shock and outrage me. What an idiot! I would have found it difficult to keep my mouth shut too! And don't get me started on dogs shut in cars in this weather. I saw this recently in our Co-op car park. I hung about and kept my eye out and the owner returned within five minutes, but still...... :evil:

I think we have covered the subject of people who walk about staring at their mobile phone taking absolutely no notice of what they are about to walk into. Yesterday in town a woman talking on her phone came within inches of walking straight into me. She stopped just in front of me so I stopped and stared at her, open mouthed. She didn't even look at me let alone apologise.

What I am noticing more and more are the amount of people who come charging out of shop doorways without looking left or right, expecting passing foot traffic to steer out of their way. I was almost taken out twice in this way by shoppers with pushchairs today. :evil:
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » June 30th, 2018, 4:52 pm

There are definitely people who stand on these moving walkway things who can move. I appreciate not all difficulties are visible. It was of course said out of irritation after being blocked and in a desperate hurry to catch a train.
I can become a monster in airports... :(
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby suffolk » June 30th, 2018, 4:55 pm

Herbidacious wrote:There are definitely people who stand on these moving walkway things who can move. I appreciate not all difficulties are visible. It was of course said out of irritation after being blocked and in a desperate hurry to catch a train.
I can become a monster in airports... :(

:lol: :tu: I can become a monster when walking on the pavement when people cut me up, zig zag in front of me when I'm trying to pass them, or spread their entire family and friend group across the pavement when I'm trying to catch my bus :evil:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Suelle » June 30th, 2018, 5:31 pm

I may be looking at this completely wrong, but I always thought that you were supposed to stand still on moving 'walkways'. It's the walkway that moves, not the pedestrian.

I agree that people shouldn't block the way of those who want to move, and make faster progress, but I expect the majority of people to be standing still.
Suelle
Global Moderator

Postby TeresaFoodie » June 30th, 2018, 6:00 pm

Many times in the past when I've had to walk with a stick, I have stood on a moving escalator to one side and still been jostled out of the way by some agile twonk who can't wait a few seconds to reach the end. My wheelchair using friend says she shouts at the top of her voice at anyone just about to walk into her 'Excuse me! Are you going to look where you are going!???' She's doing them a favour really as I am sure they would come off worse if they walked into her foot rests. Ouch!
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby karadekoolaid » July 1st, 2018, 12:14 am

I love those moving walkways at airports.
It means I can travel at the speed of light and reach Gate 4,967 more rapidly :aww: :aww: :aww: :aww:

But anyone who´s on there, planted in the middle, with multiple luggage either side gets a thumbs down :evil: :td: :td: :td: :td:
" Bite off more than you can chew, then chew like Hell!"
karadekoolaid
Registered

Postby Rainbow » July 1st, 2018, 12:47 am

Suelle wrote:I may be looking at this completely wrong, but I always thought that you were supposed to stand still on moving 'walkways'. It's the walkway that moves, not the pedestrian.

I agree that people shouldn't block the way of those who want to move, and make faster progress, but I expect the majority of people to be standing still.

I agree, Suelle. I always thought that the point of the 'travelator' was that you could let it do the moving if you wanted or needed to, although we often walk along them for extra speed.
Rainbow
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » July 1st, 2018, 8:19 am

I would never dream of barging past someone. I am very polite and considerate!! (Plus my immense personal distance space riles against it...!)

Talking of which I can’t get in synch with people where I am now. Constant infringement of personal distance space occurring.

Well Suelle and Rainbow, I guess that explains it, as I imagine many people think like you, and that’s fine (so long as people don’t block it.) obvs you can do what you want. That was not in question.
I suppose my lack of understanding arises from my intense airport urge to get to wherever I have to get to as fast as possible, and thought the walkways were there to help me do that.

OH says that health and safety people put them in to speed up the flow of people though an area. If it’s too slow, it’s a H&S issue and they put in a moving walkway. But this is beside the point because even if this were not true, my headset is still set at as quick as possible ;)
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby suffolk » July 1st, 2018, 9:18 am

Hares and tortoises spring to mind :lol:

At least if they're on a moving surface those with a tendency to stand still when unsure of where they are or what to do next aren't actually stopping suddenly and causing mayhem

My DS doesn't have a slow gear :lol:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby scullion » July 1st, 2018, 9:59 am

i thought a study had been done that showed that if everyone on an escalator filled the spaces and stood still it was faster to move people?https://www.citylab.com/transportation/2016/01/subway-escalator-standing-study-tfl-london/424950/
scullion
Registered

Postby scullion » July 1st, 2018, 11:45 am

what is the point of clothes moths?
do they have a beneficial function that i don't know about?
scullion
Registered

Postby miss mouse » July 1st, 2018, 1:36 pm

Another of nature's dustbin men I suppose with slugs and ants and wasps.
miss mouse
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » July 1st, 2018, 3:21 pm

It isn't the moths it is their larvae and they feed on wool - nature I guess.
Je pense, donc je suis. - Decartes
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » July 1st, 2018, 6:02 pm

What is the point of anything?
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » July 1st, 2018, 9:13 pm

I believe that clothes moths don’t feed at all... and indeed can’t. Once they have metamorphosed they procreate, then die.

EM I was wondering that earlier, but I assumed it was a temporary wave of depression...!!!
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » July 1st, 2018, 10:03 pm

:lol: well of course it can be a sign of depression but it can also be an interesting subject for debate. Do humans serve more purpose than moths?
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » July 1st, 2018, 11:42 pm

I wonder if moths have forums where they debate the existence of humans. And how would we ever be able to find out if they do.
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby scullion » July 1st, 2018, 11:53 pm

Ratatouille wrote:It isn't the moths it is their larvae and they feed on wool

i know - and it's not just wool.

miss mouse wrote:Another of nature's dustbin men I suppose with slugs and ants and wasps.

ants are ok - they are fish and yaffle food, they're scavengers in the cleaning up decaying things sense and don't do any harm.
wasps eat flies and aphids so they're ok, too.
slugs are food for foxes, badgers, frogs and toads etc so although i get really angry with them i can see the point.

clothes moths (and their larvae) fill no function that i can see - unless it's to give me exercise with the electric tennis racquet.

earthmaiden wrote:Do humans serve more purpose than moths?

well i don't eat peoples clothes so i think i'm quids in over a clothes moth at least!
scullion
Registered

Postby Rainbow » July 2nd, 2018, 6:38 am

scullion wrote:earthmaiden wrote:
Do humans serve more purpose than moths?

well i don't eat peoples clothes so i think i'm quids in over a clothes moth at least!

But humans destroy so many things/animals/places that it really is debatable ;)
Rainbow
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » July 2nd, 2018, 7:11 am

I guess the question that’s been asked is not: ‘What is the point of moths?’ etc. but ‘What is the point of moths for us/from our point of view?’ Different questions, different answers in all probability.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby suffolk » July 2nd, 2018, 7:39 am

I suppose that they fit into the niche available to them ... clearing up old fur/feathers/fleece from dead animals ... someone's got to do it ...
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » July 2nd, 2018, 8:03 am

I sometimes wonder if there is something out there which is as large to us as we are to an ant and if ants realise we are here and if we would realise 'it' was there.
Interesting about moths. I agree that they are clearer uppers. Before we started weaving and treasuring fabrics they wouldn't have had such an impact and would have just been part of the eco system.
earthmaiden
Registered

PreviousNext

Return to The Coffee Shop