Things you will never understand

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Re: Things you will never understand

Postby Ratatouille » July 13th, 2018, 8:29 am

Mr R could well become addicted, fortunately it is not easily found here. Incoming visitors know to bring allsort or, better still Pontefract cakes.

We have a friend who was a biochemist and most of his research work was based around the medicinal properties of liquoruce, particularly in digestion.
Je pense, donc je suis. - Decartes
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby StokeySue » July 13th, 2018, 10:04 am

Liquorice does increase blood pressure - patients given high doses of extract may suffer puffy ankles, fluid retention, and higher blood pressure. As did both addicts, who each ate a box of Pontefract cakes every day. However a normal amount of candy won't hurt most people
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » July 13th, 2018, 12:09 pm

That's OK then Sue Mr R eats a box every 6 months or so :lol:
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » July 13th, 2018, 1:12 pm

What I do not understand is when HM the Queen is sitting on a dais outside her house, Buckingham Palace, why does she need such a large handbag?
When life gives you lemons, make sorbet
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby suffolk » July 13th, 2018, 2:10 pm

Ma believed every woman should carry a large handbag ... when she in her 90s she had a large red handbag ... she occasionally used it as a weapon ... maybe Her Maj feels it advisable to have a deterrent ... particularly today with DT in the country ... I'm sure she doesn't want to be 'grabbed by the p***y and the D of E isn't around much to punch his lights out ...
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby dennispc » July 15th, 2018, 8:08 am

John Inverdale being paid by the BBC for anything. Boris Becker the same.
Every day is a good day, it's just that some days are better than others.
dennispc
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » July 16th, 2018, 8:47 pm

Why does my perspiration sting my eyes as it runs down my face during exertion ? Isn't it made from the same stuff as my tears ? ( I am sure SSue will know the answer to that ;) ) :tu:
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby Rainbow » July 16th, 2018, 10:49 pm

Well, they are made in completely different glands, so you can't assume they are the same!!
Both contain some salt, but tears have mucous in to lubricate the cornea - they are specifically for the eyes, so would be a problem if they made them sting ;)
Sweat has various minerals in as well as salt - I guess that's what causes the problem, but not really sure.
Rainbow
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » July 19th, 2018, 11:13 am

Why how ever late I fall asleep at night, or however broken my night's sleep may be, I ALWAYS wake up around 6 ish ….. So annoying when a couple more hours may sort out the complete exhaustion during the day .. :shock: :aww: :?
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby StokeySue » July 19th, 2018, 11:24 am

PatsyMFagan wrote:Why does my perspiration sting my eyes as it runs down my face during exertion ? Isn't it made from the same stuff as my tears ? ( I am sure SSue will know the answer to that ;) ) :tu:

TBH I don't have a proper answer, but as someone who gets a lot of different liquids dripped into her eyes I suspect it is just that your eyes are so sensitive eveything except tears and artificial tears stings a bit
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Seatallan » July 19th, 2018, 12:04 pm

PatsyMFagan wrote:Why how ever late I fall asleep at night, or however broken my night's sleep may be, I ALWAYS wake up around 6 ish ….. So annoying when a couple more hours may sort out the complete exhaustion during the day .. :shock: :aww: :?

No idea why but you have my sympathies Patsy because I'm just the same.... maddening isn't it?
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby Suelle » July 19th, 2018, 12:04 pm

PatsyMFagan wrote:Why does my perspiration sting my eyes as it runs down my face during exertion ? Isn't it made from the same stuff as my tears ? ( I am sure SSue will know the answer to that ;) ) :tu:

I always assumed it was because perspiration was saltier than tears., but according to this ( https://www.verywellhealth.com/what-are ... of-3421862 ) there's a lot more in tears than you'd expect, and things like lipids and mucins would probably stop your own tears irritating your eyes.
Suelle
Global Moderator

Postby icelesley » July 20th, 2018, 7:00 am

Why do girls / women feel the need to pout when photographed, they just look stupid imo. :rolleyes: whatever happened to a lovely smile ?
Last edited by icelesley on July 21st, 2018, 6:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway. Image ImageImage
icelesley
Registered

Postby scullion » July 20th, 2018, 7:29 am

as an extension to that, why does anyone feel the need to take 'selfies?' apart from the fact that they'll probably never be looked at ever again, i think a pinch is just as good at proving to yourself that you're alive!

whatever happened allegedly smile ?
- ?
scullion
Registered

Postby Seatallan » July 20th, 2018, 7:34 am

icelesley wrote:Why do girls / women feel the need to pout when photographed, they just look stupid imo. :rolleyes:

I think it's because it makes your face look a bit thinner. Plus it's urban and edgy :D . I suppose that's why models do it too.
Seatallan
Registered

Postby uschi » July 20th, 2018, 7:35 am

I do take selfies sometimes to show off new glasses, clothes, haircuts and so on, but not to prove that I am alive. :lol: I can feel that in my bones (very much so this morning). :rolleyes: :lol: :lol: :lol:
uschi
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » July 20th, 2018, 7:44 am

Pouting selfies. Now there's a phenomena you won't see me getting involved in!

Selfies in general make me cringe anyway, and if I've ever been asked for one the answer has always been no. My dad and his wife asked me for one recently after I'd had my hair cut really short. I told them 'on your bike!' :lol: I can understand why people would take the odd selfie, but not why some feel the need to take copious amounts of them for no apparent reason. What an annoying waste of phone memory!
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Gruney » July 20th, 2018, 7:53 am

And then post them with monotonous regularity on Facebook.
Gruney
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » July 20th, 2018, 7:58 am

I have yet to take a flattering selfie except... either I or husband took one of the two of us while on a little boat in Karlsruhe the other week and it looked quite nice (of both of us.) Maybe it was him, and his extra long arms helped.

I do sometimes take them as I seem to travel on my own a lot, and soemtiems send one to OH. but I don't think I have ever posted one online. I don't often put pics of me online full stop. But this is for a combination of reasons of vanity and, well not quite modesty, but something that's akin to the opposite of vanity. Interestingly, (perhaps) on the rare occasions I do put a pic on FB of me I get loads of 'likes'. I think people like to see picutres of their friends (as long as they don't do it too often.)

I don't get adults still putting those silly animal ears and eyes filters (Snapchat?) on. Surely once is enough for novelty's sake when they first appeared.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » July 20th, 2018, 9:38 am

icelesley wrote:Why do girls / women feel the need to pout when photographed, they just look stupid imo. :rolleyes: whatever happened allegedly smile ?

I commented on this a couple of weeks ago on my local FB page … I got well slated for mentioning it … :rolleyes:
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » July 20th, 2018, 9:51 am

Tattoos !!!…. you either love them or hate them. I have a couple of small ones on my wrist … However, I cannot fathom the current trend of both sexes covering not only their bodies, but their faces too !!! The Antique shop is next door to a tattoo parlour, so I see plenty of their clients coming and going :shock: :aww: :rolleyes: .. One is a young and very attractive girl who has a tattoo up the right hand side of her face and under her chin … this has the effect of her looking like a bearded lady .. Do these people ever wonder what they will look like when they get old an wrinkly ? :?
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby uschi » July 20th, 2018, 9:55 am

PatsyMFagan wrote:
icelesley wrote:Why do girls / women feel the need to pout when photographed, they just look stupid imo. :rolleyes: whatever happened allegedly smile ?

I commented on this a couple of weeks ago on my local FB page … I got well slated for mentioning it … :rolleyes:

Oh never mind. You are not the only one to notice.
OH likes to take "boudoir" pictures of me with plenty of lace and atmosphere. I have full lips, but one has to watch out that one does not "flatten" them when tense. One shouldn't pout (unless one pulls faces for fun), either. Difficult to get it right.
uschi
Registered

Postby StokeySue » July 20th, 2018, 10:54 am

We found a good use for a selfie stick in Pompeii - when the bit of archaeology you want a picture of is surrounded by railings and walls, you can pass the stick through the railings and get an unimpeded view
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » July 20th, 2018, 12:29 pm

Face and neck tattoos. I have six small ones on my arms which will be easily covered up in job interviews, love them all, no regrets, but face and neck make me cringe because they are not cover-up-able!
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Rainbow » July 20th, 2018, 10:42 pm

TeresaFoodie wrote:Face and neck tattoos. I have six small ones on my arms which will be easily covered up in job interviews, love them all, no regrets, but face and neck make me cringe because they are not cover-up-able!

I thought that as so many people have tattoos these days (I was going to say - as they are so common, but reworded it ;) ) a lot of people would feel no need to cover them up.
Rainbow
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » July 20th, 2018, 11:04 pm

Some work dress codes still insist they are covered and in many circles they are still considered a disadvantage if you want to go up the ladder so it is wise to consider where they are positioned if you care about that.

I am still surprised by some people's tattoos. I was watching Channel 4 news tonight and the lady newsreader had a dress with a wide boat neck quite low at the back which displayed a large butterfly tattoo around the area of her shoulderblade. I was quite suprised that she was allowed to display it but it shows how accepted they are becoming in all circles. I have a feeling that I read the Duchess of Cambridge has a discreet one somewhere.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » July 21st, 2018, 12:37 am

I've never seen that on the news EM. I am quite surprised by that but not horrified. Davina McCall proudly displays a wrist tattoo on £100k drop. It is becoming the norm and accepted. I feel happy with mine on display outside of the workplace, at home, at the pool. Not at interview! The manager who worked me out of my job of seven years had them all up her bare stiletto heeled legs in the workplace. Someone at the top must have thought that was okay or desirable. There's a word I'd like to use for it, but not here!
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby icelesley » July 21st, 2018, 6:59 am

That allegedly smile was typed as lovely smile, the computer decided to change it :twisted: :twisted: Don't get me started on selfies, I..... no second thoughts I won't comment, I would upset someone. ;)
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway. Image ImageImage
icelesley
Registered

Postby StokeySue » July 21st, 2018, 9:09 am

I saw a young woman wearing hot pants walking up the street, some tome ago. She had seamed stockings, suspenders, and a garter tatooed on. It kind of looked OK, if a bit gimmicky, but I did think it was fine while she was young with a figure like Kylie Minogue, but when she gets to my age? And to me that's the problem, if I could have a tattoo for just one summer, great but not for life thanks, I might want to move on
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby suffolk » July 21st, 2018, 9:13 am

The young never believe that they're ever going to be as old as us :lol: Bless 'em .... and of course, when they are everyone else their age will have tattoos anyway ...
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby StokeySue » July 21st, 2018, 9:19 am

I wouldn't have done it even whenyounger, not about aging but having the option to change for me
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Seatallan » July 21st, 2018, 9:20 am

I've secretly hankered for a tattoo for years and years but have never quite plucked up the courage.

I had my nose pierced once (after a few too many cans of Red Stripe at Notting Hill Carnival :oops: ) but it just didn't do anything for me (my nose is quite large and the piercing just drew attention to it to my mind) so I let the hole grow over.
Seatallan
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » July 21st, 2018, 9:32 am

My mother was horrified when I had my ears pierced - I was 24 and pregnant!
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby Meganthemog » July 21st, 2018, 10:12 am

I had a small tattoo on my foot for my 55th birthday - my OH designed it. It hurt like hell to get it done as there isn't much fat on your foot - I would have another one but only if it had some significance.
Meganthemog
Registered

Postby Meganthemog » July 21st, 2018, 10:14 am

On a different subject - I met up with a friend's 89 year old mum last week. We were at a 90th birthday party and everyone was dressed in their summer finery. I noticed that my friend's mum was wearing a little silver toe ring! Apparently she put it on about 30 years ago and has never taken it off. She had very nice feet for an old lady!
Meganthemog
Registered

Postby suffolk » July 21st, 2018, 10:20 am

Ratatouille wrote:My mother was horrified when I had my ears pierced - I was 24 and pregnant!

I was 26 and a mother of two ... and Ma was appalled. I said something along the lines that HM Queen has her ears pierced. According to Ma that's different, she has to, it's part of the job :lol:

Apparently if God had wanted me to have holes in my ears he'd have put them there. I countered with, if he'd wanted her to have curly hair she wouldn't have to keep paying to have it permed ............... stoney silence :rolleyes: :lol:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Meganthemog » July 21st, 2018, 10:31 am

I sometimes wonder if we shared the same mother Suffolk!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
The list of things I wasn't allowed to do because in her eyes it 'wasn't nice' was endless.
One that sticks in my mind was the wearing of long white socks over tan tights - very much the fashion in the early '70s. My friend had a pair of patent 'socks' that could be worn with patent shoes to make it look like boots - these were considered 'not nice'. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Meganthemog
Registered

Postby suffolk » July 21st, 2018, 10:47 am

Ma was a product of a Methodist family who sent her to a Convent School :? She once told me she'd never enjoyed herself without feeling guilty :cry:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby miss mouse » July 21st, 2018, 11:31 am

Meganthemog wrote:The list of things I wasn't allowed to do because in her eyes it 'wasn't nice' was endless.

Mine as well. The swinging sixties must have been a shock for them.
miss mouse
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » July 21st, 2018, 6:41 pm

Same here. I discovered quite early on that the things that were not 'nice' wete enjoyed by people who looked as though they were enjoying life the most and immediately wanted to find out.

Long white socks were a real no-no. I agree, to watch all the niceties crumble as society changed in the 60's must have been totally bewildering. I admire those parents and children who got the balance right.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » July 22nd, 2018, 9:45 am

I will never understand why anyone would think that it is very okay to play banging loud drum and bass music at 10am on a Sunday. After several complaints and following three weeks of complete peace and quiet, this ignoramus decides that this morning would be the perfect occasion to remind us all that he is still there to annoy us.
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » July 22nd, 2018, 10:13 am

How about answering with some Gregorian chant or a rousing hymn or two :lol: :lol:

When we lived opposite a Baptist chapel in the Bahamas they started loud and very tuneless hymn singing at some ungodly hour which went on most of the day. We responded with Wagner at full blast!
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » July 22nd, 2018, 12:37 pm

:lol: Brilliant idea! :lol:
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby aero280 » July 22nd, 2018, 12:53 pm

Yes! My work colleague found that his neighbours in the semi-detached were some form of Hells Angel. They came home on loud bikes and then played rock music until 3 or 4 in the morning. He wanted to move, but no one would buy because of the neighbours. We suggested that a big loud stereo system that started playing Bach organ concertos and Beethoven's symphonies at 7 am, just as he left the house, and played until he came home, might make the point. Apparently it did! :D

Someone suggested Wagner, but it was felt that Hells Angels might come to like it...
http://www.saabtechtalk.com/
aero280
Site Admin

Postby WWordsworth » July 22nd, 2018, 3:23 pm

I found Maria Callas, full blast at 6am, reminded my neighbours of how thin the walls were.
WWordsworth
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » July 22nd, 2018, 4:01 pm

I had to go out to escape the din for a couple of hours. I have returned to a different noise, what I can only imagine must sound like being in the middle of a battle field. Heavy gun fire at full blast. The joy of living near a bunch of unemployed x-box addicted louts with no respect. The thing is, the walls and floors here are not thin. They are thick concrete. I have walked past his open front door when his music is at a reasonable volume (still louder than I would play mine!) but once I am in my flat I can't hear that, so that shows how loud this is.

I do have a theory. The flat downstairs and next door to him has been empty for a while. Recently a young couple with a tiny baby moved in and by the look of the man of the household I doubt he'll put up with any rubbish. I notice they have been out all day so he's probably taking advantage. The one and only down side of living as a single woman alone. A-hole amen think they can tread all over you.
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » July 22nd, 2018, 8:35 pm

Very unsociable. I love playing music loudly but never do in my terraced house - unless I have headphones. In the car is another matter!

You could report it to the council - though I have a vague feeling I read somewhere that the noise monitoring people at local councils were yet another victim of financial cuts :evil: .
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » July 22nd, 2018, 10:23 pm

The council know about it and based on what I went through at my last place re ASB, they seemed very interested in my keeping a diary, but when it ebbed off a bit were quite quick to close the case for now. I think I'd better get them to reopen it! But as you say, funding probably has their priorities elsewhere!
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » July 22nd, 2018, 11:42 pm

WWordsworth wrote:I found Maria Callas, full blast at 6am, reminded my neighbours of how thin the walls were.

I had a better idea about two weeks or so ago I had been kept up all night until about 2am ahead of a bone density scan at 8.30am. I'd already had to close all my windows at the back of my flat where the noise was coming from. Out back in our communal washing line area where his mates had pitched a tent! Beeping cheek! Music and laughter. Ok, I have a lot of sympathy for the homeless which I think they are, I really do. But I had to shut myself in a sweat box to shut their row out. Next morning, my mum, bless her, had to pick me up at 7am. I told her wait outside for me as I had a plan.

Set my i-pod up on full blast by my kitchen window which overlooks their set of 'Carry On Camping'. England were playing an important match later on that day. I decided Eminem's 'Lose Yourself' would be a very motivating song for our boys in Russia, also for anyone requiring an early morning wake up call. I smiled as I heard tent zips opening. :lol: Wakey wakey, rise and shine! :lol:
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby uschi » July 23rd, 2018, 6:54 am

Try and make friends with the more civilised neighbours and then coordinate a bit. If you want to teach him a few lessons with music as a group, it would be good to find out what everyone feels comfortable with. No use blasting him with Callas when the baby family prefer, say Bach or folk music or whatever. :? :D

This house is fairly quiet, at least on my side of the building. The neighbours one floor down, but on the other side of the stairwell have extremely noisy children. The Russians below me are normal in their noise levels.
The boy is approaching his teens, though, so it might not last. ;)
uschi
Registered

PreviousNext

Return to The Coffee Shop