Things you will never understand

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Re: Things you will never understand

Postby cyprusmoira » July 23rd, 2018, 7:12 am

One of the first things that Poppi, next door did was to apologise for Andreas, her husbands radio, he has it loud because he is deaf. It is not the radio itself but the fact that it is not tuned in properly and plays the local station. The local radio consists of local politicians haranguing each other and Europop, I do not mind the folk music. He also wanders off for half an hour at a time.
Any local event is accompanied by very loud pop music, The local youth ride noisy, underpowered scooters up and down the road in the evening

Moira
When life gives you lemons, make sorbet
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » July 23rd, 2018, 7:44 am

Actually, I was very pleased to meet the young man with the baby for the first time because not only did he introduce himself, his 'little man' in the pram but also told me his partner's name, then offered to help me up the stairs with a heavy item then first thing he asked me was what the hell was it with all the noise and the tent? I felt from those first five minutes that we were both on the same page so to speak!
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Gruney » July 23rd, 2018, 11:33 am

A trouble shared is a trouble halved.
Gruney
Registered

Postby uschi » July 23rd, 2018, 12:20 pm

Good news, Tessa!
Two sets of neighbours asking for peace and quiet are better than one party. If it doesn't impress the culprit, then maybe the landlord.
uschi
Registered

Postby StokeySue » July 28th, 2018, 6:08 pm

Two encountered while out, both have been annoying me for some time

Why do stores find it necessary to refer to "colleagues" rather than "staff"? As in "this is a colleague announcement", or "please ask a colleague for assistance", sign seen on a till; that one is so wrong, I don't work in the shop so I don't have any colleagues there. Today in Sainsbury's I saw "This shelf is for colleague use only" - a printed, standard label. Do they think it is more respectful than referring (accurately) to staff or employees?
OED wrote:A person with whom one works in a profession or business.

The other is the number of people who get on a bus knowing they are going to stay on for a numberof stops, but immediately stand in front of the exit door, although other space is available, apparently unaware that other people will need to use the exit. If the area in front of the door is crowded, then they block the stairs instead.
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » July 28th, 2018, 9:08 pm

Oh yes to both of those! I think when 'colleague' is used amongst staff it is supposed to sound warm and cosy (but doesn't), to use it in any other context is, as you say, just wrong.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby WWordsworth » July 29th, 2018, 1:55 pm

My (lovely) neighbours.
A couple of weeks ago I commented on here that they were using their tumble dryer when it was 30deg outside.
Today it is raining and they are using their washing line.
WWordsworth
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » July 29th, 2018, 2:06 pm

WWordsworth wrote:A couple of weeks ago I commented on here that they were using their tumble dryer when it was 30deg outside

Perhaps they got their electricity bill
When life gives you lemons, make sorbet
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » July 29th, 2018, 2:40 pm

cyprusmoira wrote:
WWordsworth wrote:A couple of weeks ago I commented on here that they were using their tumble dryer when it was 30deg outside

Perhaps they got their electricity bill

That has to be the only logical explanation! :lol: Aren't folk odd?

But they seem to be everywhere though.....our local illegal camp site owner has sleeping bags and pillows hanging on our communal washing lines. It's hissing down and extremely windy. He's not even pegged any of them on so it won't take long for them to be blown about and rolling in puddles. I mean, break the rules if you are brave enough, but at least be discrete about it! :rolleyes:
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby uschi » July 31st, 2018, 6:24 am

I envy you your puddles!!! It's still 34 °C and more here during the day and we haven't had rain in weeks, save for a few shorts minutes a few days ago. I am living in hope for tomorrow.

Another thing I don't understand is why people feel the need to BBQ "wild" in the parks in this heat and with everything so dry. I'd hate to have the bleeding BBQ anywhere near me even in the evenings ... these days you can get salads, breaded Schnitzel. Frikadellen and what have you at the supermarket to take onto a picnic (most of those "wild" BBQers seem incapable of preparing any other kind of food). Why do it?
If you want romantic light in the park, take LED fairy lights. Some of them cost as little as 1 Euro. :hi5:
uschi
Registered

Postby StokeySue » July 31st, 2018, 8:29 am

Park BBQs currently banned in London
Disposables permanently barred, as the plan is not to take them home people just walk away and leave them :o
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby uschi » July 31st, 2018, 9:04 am

I am not sure whether disposables are banned already here, but it was certainly discussed.
At the moment we are in the grip of a drought and so smoking, BBQing and everything else that might cause a fire is banned in parks and woods.
Still, people won't be told.
uschi
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » July 31st, 2018, 9:05 am

All none-fixed barbecues are banned - charcoal ones anywhere and gas ones only allowed on one's own property. Those disposable ones are officially illegal and anyone caught using one anywhere can be heavily fined.
Je pense, donc je suis. - Decartes
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby aero280 » July 31st, 2018, 9:54 am

OH has referred me to a report that says that in these days of central heating and electric cookers, people have lost the basic folk knowledge of dealing with open fires.

I am of the school of thought that says “Why bother with the fuss of a barbecue in your garden when you probably have a perfectly good cooker and grill in your kitchen a few feet away”.
http://www.saabtechtalk.com/
aero280
Site Admin

Postby suffolk » July 31st, 2018, 10:27 am

aero280 wrote:I am of the school of thought that says “Why bother with the fuss of a barbecue in your garden when you probably have a perfectly good cooker and grill in your kitchen a few feet away”.

That's OH's reasoning too :lol:
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » July 31st, 2018, 11:20 am

re tumble dryers, I do stick towels and bath mats in mine on the no heat setting for a while to fluff them up. When it's less hot/people are barbecuing, they are tripple-dried (as opposed to fried...) - line, inside, then tumble drier.

barbecues: I bought one a couple of months ago, with all the trimmings, and its still not being used :o I love smokey food, but OH, it now turns out, can't be fussed either and there's no point in doing it just for me.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby dennispc » July 31st, 2018, 11:33 am

suffolk wrote:
aero280 wrote:I am of the school of thought that says “Why bother with the fuss of a barbecue in your garden when you probably have a perfectly good cooker and grill in your kitchen a few feet away”.

That's OH's reasoning too :lol:

Mine too! :tu:
Every day is a good day, it's just that some days are better than others.
dennispc
Registered

Postby patpoyntz » July 31st, 2018, 11:40 am

We don’t often BBQ, mainly because OH has never really got the hang of it! And I do find it a hassle if only doing a couple of steaks or such like. We do have a large wood burning pizza oven though, and we do use that a lot, winter and summer not only for pizzas, but tray-bakes and roasts too.
patpoyntz
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » July 31st, 2018, 11:59 am

patpoyntz wrote:We don’t often BBQ, mainly because OH has never really got the hang of it! And I do find it a hassle if only doing a couple of steaks or such like. We do have a large wood burning pizza oven though, and we do use that a lot, winter and summer not only for pizzas, but tray-bakes and roasts too.

That sounds eminently more sensible :tu:
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby WWordsworth » July 31st, 2018, 5:51 pm

We don't have a barbecue.
I like to cook inside and eat outside.
WWordsworth
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » July 31st, 2018, 6:25 pm

I like proper barbecues where quite a few people are invited and they have a half barrel or something to cook on (or one of our friend Dr Sweetsmoke's wonderful ones!). What I don't get are people like my neighbours.They get out a little BBQ set and a small garden chair and table. Light the BBQ with something that smells like neat petrol and then crucify two small pieces of meat on it almost immediately. Plates already servedwith salad and anything cooked indoors are brought out, the meat is added. They eat the plateful, don't have seconds or pudding, clear everything up and go back indoors. A BBQ in the park as described would be a bit like that too - and of course silly when everything is so dry.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » July 31st, 2018, 6:38 pm

We only bbq when we have visitors and even so, at the moment it is far too hot to cook outside even after the sun has gone down. in a small garden the heat is just too much.

Mr R never ever got bbqs so I have always both prepared and cooked them. These days GS will happily take over and is much more reliable than his grandfather - who always gets distracted by something.

If it cools down a bit by Monday when they arive it will be spatchcocked Moroccan quails served with a fruity cous cous.

Given the choice I would rather eat indoors in the "cool"
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby StokeySue » August 1st, 2018, 12:30 pm

There is suddenly a fashion for wearing fluffy mules in place of sandals with shorts, I had a pair and wore them as summer slippers, the advantage being that as they were fluffy and silly I'd never wear them past the gate and so the soles stayed clean. But round the shops / seafront?

This sort of thing
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby karadekoolaid » August 1st, 2018, 12:44 pm

We´ve got a BBQ in the garden. I love cooking on it; but then I use mango wood and charcoal, not gas. I fail to see the point of a gas-fired BBQ.
" Bite off more than you can chew, then chew like Hell!"
karadekoolaid
Registered

Postby Seatallan » August 1st, 2018, 4:24 pm

StokeySue wrote:There is suddenly a fashion for wearing fluffy mules in place of sandals with shorts, I had a pair and wore them as summer slippers, the advantage being that as they were fluffy and silly I'd never wear them past the gate and so the soles stayed clean. But round the shops / seafront?

I'm with you on that one Sue. I think I mentioned it earlier on the thread actually. They were dead fashionable last summer and seem to have made a reappearance this year too.
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby StokeySue » August 1st, 2018, 4:33 pm

Seatallan wrote:I'm with you on that one Sue. I think I mentioned it earlier on the thread actually. They were dead fashionable last summer and seem to have made a reappearance this year too.

They didn't make it to Stokey last year, so I probably didn't know what you meant when you mentioned it before
.. then Katie Price was pictured wearing them out shopping in Ibiza and I flipped a little
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » August 1st, 2018, 5:29 pm

StokeySue wrote:here is suddenly a fashion for wearing fluffy mules in place of sandals with shorts, I had a pair and wore them as summer slippers, the advantage being that as they were fluffy and silly I'd never wear them past the gate and so the soles stayed clean. But round the shops / seafront?

Ah, that's cleared up the strange foot wear I saw a young girl wearing on the bus last week :? :rolleyes: 8-) :lol:
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby Bubbles » August 1st, 2018, 6:43 pm

StokeySue wrote:There is suddenly a fashion for wearing fluffy mules in place of sandals with shorts, I had a pair and wore them as summer slippers, the advantage being that as they were fluffy and silly I'd never wear them past the gate and so the soles stayed clean. But round the shops / seafront?

Saw someone wearing these last May at Alicante airport, and a few others here and there. Thought it was a strange choice for the heat and boarding planes etc. Not so many this year though.

This sort of thing
Bubbles
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » August 1st, 2018, 9:19 pm

We BBQ just for us, Mr. Z has got the hang of it and does not burn it, we like the flavour - not a gas job, proper C'coal and briquettes on a pot bellied BBQ, it works a treat, and we do eat outside, in the shade under the cherry tree. I would not cook a steak on a BBQ I have a George Forman (3 mins max.) for that. We do also BBQ sliced courgette, aubergine, onions cup in half. Mushrooms and peppers on a skewer. The burning coals at the end are used to heat water for washing up the BBQ tools. :tu:
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » August 2nd, 2018, 8:24 am

karadekoolaid wrote:We´ve got a BBQ in the garden. I love cooking on it; but then I use mango wood and charcoal, not gas. I fail to see the point of a gas-fired BBQ.

So do I really but we haven't room for a built in bbq whci is the only sort which legally allows charcoal use. You can see why when the tinder dry garrigue or Pine forests go up in flames.
Also very little of the chracoal sold is from sustainable sources so unless you have access to a wood supply it is rather more eco to use gas - only marginally I agree!
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby Busybee » August 2nd, 2018, 10:58 am

I rather enjoy bbqing, but wouldn’t really see a couple of burgers and sausages on a gas bbq as a real bbq.

Sunday I am attempting to cook a leg of lamb on the bbq. It will be done with wood and charcoal ( plus rosemary twigs) on indirect heat and will cook/smoke away for most of the day. Low and very slow. It will be served with warm new potatoes and a big mixed green salad. I may add some sausages etc at the end, depends really. Just deciding on what to put n the dry rub, definitely rosemary, salt , pepper maybe some celery salt? Ideas anyone?

BB
Busybee
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » August 2nd, 2018, 11:36 am

Garlic goes well with lamb :chops:

Sue, I haven't come across the boudoir slippers being worn out in these parts. They are very pretty :).
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » August 2nd, 2018, 12:02 pm

Busybee wrote:Sunday I am attempting to cook a leg of lamb on the bbq. It will be done with wood and charcoal ( plus rosemary twigs) on indirect heat and will cook/smoke away for most of the day. Low and very slow. It will be served with warm new potatoes and a big mixed green salad.

I can change my plans for Sunday … what time do you want me there ;) :lol: :bounce: :tu: 8-)
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby suffolk » August 2nd, 2018, 12:09 pm

I think there may well be a queue forming up behind you Patsy :lol: :hungry: :drool:
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby patpoyntz » August 2nd, 2018, 1:37 pm

Busybee wrote:I rather enjoy bbqing, but wouldn’t really see a couple of burgers and sausages on a gas bbq as a real bbq.

Sunday I am attempting to cook a leg of lamb on the bbq. It will be done with wood and charcoal ( plus rosemary twigs) on indirect heat and will cook/smoke away for most of the day. Low and very slow. It will be served with warm new potatoes and a big mixed green salad. I may add some sausages etc at the end, depends really. Just deciding on what to put n the dry rub, definitely rosemary, salt , pepper maybe some celery salt? Ideas anyone?

BB

Now that does sound like a good BBQ! I’d even light ours for that....do let us know how it turns out.
I have butterflied a lamb leg and cooked over charcoal before, but that was cooked to medium-rare, very nice, but we love long, slow cooked lamb.
patpoyntz
Registered

Postby WWordsworth » August 2nd, 2018, 3:53 pm

A couple of weeks ago I commented on here that they were using their tumble dryer when it was 30deg outside.

I posted that on 29 July.
Their laundry is still on the line :?
WWordsworth
Registered

Postby Gruney » August 2nd, 2018, 4:23 pm

Have you seen them about?
Gruney
Registered

Postby WWordsworth » August 2nd, 2018, 4:42 pm

Yep, we have a chat most days.

There has been a pile of bricks by their back door for 5 YEARS.
WWordsworth
Registered

Postby aero280 » August 2nd, 2018, 5:20 pm

Sounds like my house! :o

Not the washing though. OH is in charge of that.
http://www.saabtechtalk.com/
aero280
Site Admin

Postby TeresaFoodie » August 2nd, 2018, 7:17 pm

WWordsworth wrote:

I posted that on 29 July.
Their laundry is still on the line :?

:lol: Washing line gate. Love it! :lol:
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby karadekoolaid » August 2nd, 2018, 8:34 pm

I´ve got a George Foreman, Zosh.
Nowhere near as good as that fearsome boxer who exchanged blows with the formidable Muhammed Ali!!
Next time, do your meat on the grill. If it´s hot enough, it won´t take any longer, and the flavour will be 1,000 times better.
" Bite off more than you can chew, then chew like Hell!"
karadekoolaid
Registered

Postby icelesley » August 4th, 2018, 8:19 am

PatsyMFagan wrote:
Busybee wrote:Sunday I am attempting to cook a leg of lamb on the bbq. It will be done with wood and charcoal ( plus rosemary twigs) on indirect heat and will cook/smoke away for most of the day. Low and very slow. It will be served with warm new potatoes and a big mixed green salad.

I can change my plans for Sunday … what time do you want me there ;) :lol: :bounce: :tu: 8-)

:drool: :drool: :drool: count me in too ;)
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway. Image ImageImage
icelesley
Registered

Postby Busybee » August 4th, 2018, 9:07 am

Suffs, Patsy and Icey........ if only we lived closer.

BB
Busybee
Registered

Postby Cheezy_Jazzy » August 5th, 2018, 5:09 pm

We virtually live on barbecues in the summer. Hubby often does extra meat to be used in pack up as sandwiches, in salads or wraps. Last night it was steak and roasted veg. Hubby sometimes smokes meat as well. We also have a fire pit in which we do tandoori chicken, lamb etc. The fire pit needs to be redone which hubby will eventually get around to.
ImageImageImageImage
Cheezy_Jazzy
Registered

Postby Busybee » August 5th, 2018, 7:11 pm

It was :drool: :drool: :hungry:

The bbq was lit this morning. I marinated the lamb in a rape seed oil base with lemon, garlic and rosemary for a couple of hours and it went on the bbq. Five hours later it was cooked to perfection.

Would definitely cook larger joints of meat like this again. After the lamb came off we cranked the heat up a bit and cooked some sausages to be eaten cold tomorrow.

BB
Busybee
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » August 6th, 2018, 9:54 am

The forever proving itself pointless Facebook suggesting people that I may know.

No, I don't know them. I didn't know them yesterday either. Or the day before that. Or the day before that. Or the month before that. Nothing you can say will change the fact that I do not know them. The likelihood of someone vaguely interesting popping up that I do actually know is getting less and less likely by the day isn't it, try as I might to understand your theory of me somehow knowing unknowns. :lol:
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » August 6th, 2018, 9:59 am

Ha ha Tezza. I think they are usually friends of friends and people you neither know or are likely to!

The lamb sounds lovely BB. :chops:
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby StokeySue » August 6th, 2018, 2:16 pm

I do find the FB suggestions reasonably sensible - but there's a limit to the number of backgammon nerds I need as FB friends
And it keeps suggesting Liz X which is reasonable as she is a good friend of one of the people I chat with a lot on FB
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby patpoyntz » August 8th, 2018, 7:37 pm

44A7C44E-5FA9-47DB-A14B-BECDFED0A202.jpeg
Busybee wrote:It was :drool: :drool: :hungry:

The bbq was lit this morning. I marinated the lamb in a rape seed oil base with lemon, garlic and rosemary for a couple of hours and it went on the bbq. Five hours later it was cooked to perfection.

Would definitely cook larger joints of meat like this again. After the lamb came off we cranked the heat up a bit and cooked some sausages to be eaten cold tomorrow.

BB

BB, your lamb sounds perfect. You say you might try more larger joints....what about this?
We were at a very large family wedding up in the NW of Scotland, an old hunting lodge near Lochinver last weekend This bbq lamb was very good, served with dauphinois potatoes, lovely green veg, and a simple jus. Note the bicycle spit!
patpoyntz
Registered

Postby Busybee » August 8th, 2018, 8:00 pm

That looks fabulous! Not sure I’m quite that adventurous but it sounds wonderful.

BB
Busybee
Registered

PreviousNext

Return to The Coffee Shop