Things you will never understand

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Re: Things you will never understand

Postby WWordsworth » August 9th, 2018, 11:36 am

WWordsworth wrote:

A couple of weeks ago I commented on here that they were using their tumble dryer when it was 30deg outside.
Today it is raining and they are using their washing line.

I posted that on 29 July.
Their laundry is still on the line :?

Guess what.....
WWordsworth
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » August 9th, 2018, 12:09 pm

I wonder if its dry yet?
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby WWordsworth » August 9th, 2018, 12:18 pm

We share a drive with these neighbours, we were just arriving home about 10pm last night and met them on the drive.
They had nipped out for dinner together as their 3 young children were on a sleepover at Grandma's.
I have to say Mrs Neighbour was really quite tiddly - good for her, she doesn't get much opportunity with 1 x pre-school and 2 x primary school.

I didn't mention the laundry ;)
WWordsworth
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » August 16th, 2018, 8:40 am

WWordsworth wrote:
WWordsworth wrote:

A couple of weeks ago I commented on here that they were using their tumble dryer when it was 30deg outside.
Today it is raining and they are using their washing line.

I posted that on 29 July.
Their laundry is still on the line :?

Guess what.....

Still there? :lol:

We've had a double duvet on one of our communal washing lines for over a week. I think it might have been put there as a result of campers being turfed off our land, because they would regularly air their tent, bedding, pillows and sleeping bags on that line. :evil: I'll be happy to get my roller blind up next week so I don't have to keep looking at it.

A new thing - Why do the producers of Tipping Point think that we need to be shown slow motion replays? :lol:
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby WWordsworth » August 16th, 2018, 9:03 pm

The laundry was still there when I posted on 9 Aug but was taken in later that day.
WWordsworth
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » August 17th, 2018, 8:30 am

Why pronouncements as this hit the headlines
https://www.bbc.com/news/health-45195474

Whatever changed the idea that the best diet was a balanced one??
Je pense, donc je suis. - Decartes
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby StokeySue » August 17th, 2018, 9:07 am

Define balance scientifically? ;). I think there is still room for serious and evidence based discussion of the best balance. But a registered dietician will tell you to eat a balanced diet.

The article is in fact saying that the conventional balanced is a lot better than the trend for low carb diets that has come in over the last 25 years Atkins, South Beach, Dukan etc are widely accepted as normal and then there are the increasingly eccentric and heavily promoted diets such as paleo, keto, carnivore, the faked up Pioppi diet etc. Many people here may not appreciate just how far these are reaching down the food chain (execrable pun intended) and there are many campaigners pushing back.

I suppose to some extent it is a panic reaction to the obesity epidemic
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Badger's mate » August 17th, 2018, 10:18 am

This study seems to rely on self reported anecdote, so no matter how many thousand people were involved it's likely to be a bit wobbly. Moreover, people's eating habits change with time, I don't eat (or drink :oops: ) the same as I used to. The word 'diet' to many people means 'a temporarily restricted eating regime in order to control weight' rather than 'a word to describe what you eat'. Some diets are very likely to be associated with obesity, people trying them in order to achieve weight loss, others, particularly fashionable or celebrity diets, might appeal more to young people. Obese people, on average, have shorter, less healthy lives than the rest of the population. Young people, on average, have longer, healthier lives than the rest of the population.
Badger's mate
Registered

Postby StokeySue » August 17th, 2018, 11:47 am

The only way you can do a longitudinal diet study is unfortunate self reporting
It’s not clear how many times or exactly how they recordied the diets (and I can’t be bothered to look it up)

I have more faith in huge studies such as UK Biobank and American Nurses that track diet by asking periodically for the accurate reporting of a single day or week
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Previous

Return to The Coffee Shop