Cordless Vauum cleaners - recommendations

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Cordless Vauum cleaners - recommendations

Postby PatsyMFagan » April 29th, 2018, 2:05 pm

After the good response received about pressure washers, what do you all think about cordless vacuum cleaners? Does anyone subscribe to Which? Magazine for their review ? I see from latest adverts that Dyson no longer make corded vacuums ... I have a very heavy upright Dyson that lives upstairs and an inherited very heavy/awkward Miele that lives downstairs. I thought I would replace the Miele to save my sanity and make me a better person (that is doing the vacuuming more often ) ;) :oops:
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Re: Cordless Vauum cleaners - recommendations

Postby StokeySue » April 29th, 2018, 2:28 pm

I have a Dyson V5 Fluffy, which I like
I've had it a while, and I think the newer models last longer on a single charge and may be more powerful
I love it, but there are a few caveats
It' not IMHO suitable as the only vacuum cleaner in a house, I can get away with it as I have two bedrooms only and, critically, I have no carpets only hardwood floors, which take less vacuuming. Also I can and do vacuum little and often. I do occasionally revert to my Miele cylinder vac for big jobs
The air filter thingy that you have to remove and wash occasionally should have a clip or something, it's given to falling out. The canister is obviously small but easy to empty, and can be removed entirely to clean out the inside and round the filter, This is not as easy as it should be IMO
Also check you are getting all the attachments you want, most of them don't come with many and additional ones are expensive to buy. I got mine on one of QVC's one day only special offers, and the bonus was that it came with all the attachments and some interest free credit, though at first glance it only looked a couple of quid cheaper than on the High Street the extra attachments would have cost quite a lot and I do use all except one (I've no idea what it is for, the instructions are c@rp)
It's great for clearing up things before they get spread around, and little jobs you might never do with a big cleaner, like the back of wardrobes and removing all the moth eggs from drawers. What the upholstery tool extracted from an antique chair and the padded bed head was nobody's business - far more effective than the one on the Miele
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Amber » April 29th, 2018, 9:20 pm

Comet/PC World have them out available to try.
I don’t think the battery charge time would be enough for me. The assistant told us you only get approved 2/3 what they suggest. Interesting that Dyson no longer make corded vacs. We bought our current Dyson direct from the manufacturer, cheaper than anywhere else, and with free delivery, and a box full of tools included. :)
Amber
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » April 29th, 2018, 11:20 pm

DS has a Dyson one that lpoks like a stick. It's great to use over large rooms but I'm not sure about using attatchments. You need to have space somewhere for it to hang on the wall near a plug when not in use.
I have the hand G-Tech which is great for me as my house is small and I can crawl round things with it. I bought the car cleaning attachments but don't rate it highly for car cleaning. The house attachments are ok.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Rainbow » April 29th, 2018, 11:59 pm

A couple of weeks ago I bought an Electrolux stick vacuum and I'm very happy with it so far - it does a better job on carpets than my Miele!! I found it on Amazon but can't get the link to work!!

It also has a hand-held cleaner you can detach from the large handle - handy for the car and little bits and pieces, although I haven't used it much as yet. I tried out a Dyson but they are much
more expensive over here and I found it uncomfortable to use. The motor is at the top of the handle, so it felt much heavier in my hand. The Electrolux has the motor low down and I found that easier to manoeuvre.
Mine also came with lots of attachments for the hand-held bit - I think some will be useful, but like I said, it's early days.

Like Sue, I wouldn't have it as my only one, but I think I'll be using it a lot for the carpets - we mainly have tiles - and general smaller clean-ups.
Rainbow
Registered

Postby scullion » April 30th, 2018, 12:00 am

friends of ours have one of these - i want one.
scullion
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » April 30th, 2018, 8:51 am

Amber wrote:Comet/PC World have them out available to try.

That's worth knowing - thanks :tu:
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby StokeySue » April 30th, 2018, 9:20 am

So do John Lewis have them out. And of course I meant I have a V6 not V5 Dyson stick / handheld
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Badger's mate » April 30th, 2018, 10:47 am

We've got a Dyson V8, it came from John Lewis, with several attachments included. I think the V8 has got a longer battery life than the earlier models, but I would completely echo Sue's advice. It's brilliant for little jobs, zipping around one room or cleaning up (dry) spills before they get trodden into the carpet, but we've got a proper one for doing a big clean.

SIL, elder niece and next door neighbour have all got V6 or V8 Dysons and swear by them.
Badger's mate
Registered

Postby Amber » April 30th, 2018, 8:22 pm

Looking at the adverts on television, if you, for example, want to vacuum your curtain track, then the heavy motor needs to be held above waist/shoulder level. No good for me.

(Not that I hoover my curtain tracks often :o ;) :D )
Amber
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » May 3rd, 2018, 7:40 am

Sorry just skimming this as have to go to work/vote. I have a Which? sub. Will look it up for you when I get to work. I might even be able to do screen shots and send them to you although may need an email for that as I don't think we can pm images?
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » May 3rd, 2018, 9:33 am

thanks Herbi, I thought you had, must have been something you said ;) I will send you a pm :tu:
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Return to The Coffee Shop