Making seaweed fertiliser

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Making seaweed fertiliser

Postby PatsyMFagan » May 4th, 2018, 4:25 pm

I have found some packets of sushi sheets in the back of my larder ... you know you buy this kind of stuff, think you will use it and a few years down the line you never have. One of the varieties was the real McCoy from China Town ... unlike the other packs it was very thick and I can't think what it was every intended for.

I have soaked the contents, boiled it up (as per the cooking instructions) and as it is way out of date, I thought I would make my own seaweed fertiliser. I have got as far as blitzing it (in my Nutribullet ;) ) and it is now a gelatinous paste ... a lot of it !

Does anyone have any idea what to do next ? I was worried about it being too salty, but a taste test has proved hardly salty at all.

I thought of bottling it .. then diluting it in a watering can, but what does everyone else think ?
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Re: Making seaweed fertiliser

Postby karadekoolaid » May 4th, 2018, 6:26 pm

Chuck it on the garden, then plant the potatoes in it.
You could prepare ready -salted potatoes straight from the ground :lol: :lol: :lol:
" Bite off more than you can chew, then chew like Hell!"
karadekoolaid
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » May 4th, 2018, 7:17 pm

Isn't that why jersey potatoes are so good ... that they are covered with seaweed while they are growing ?
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby Suelle » May 4th, 2018, 7:46 pm

If you've only got enough for one application, I'd just dilute it and get it onto the garden. If it's left lying around it will soon start to pong, but it seems a lot of unnecessary trouble to bottle it (assuming you mean sterilising and sealing).
Suelle
Global Moderator

Postby aero280 » May 4th, 2018, 9:05 pm

http://www.saabtechtalk.com/
aero280
Site Admin

Postby StokeySue » May 4th, 2018, 10:47 pm

I have always blamed failing my first driving test on the fact that my dad had just visited the Irish seaweed industry and there was seaweed fertiliser trapped in the air vents :sprout: :sprout:
I think it's usually used by the tractor load after having been allowed to weather a bit to let the salt leach out? So perhaps a small amount is best used for a plant in need of a pick me up, or to boost the compist?
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » May 5th, 2018, 8:28 am

I have 1.25 litre of the stuff, now in a couple of bottles ... I need to find a plant that looks in need of some tlc, but which I won't mind losing if this stuff is lethal ;) I will of course water it down ... it is very gelatinous ... agar jelly comes to mind 8-)
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby Suelle » May 5th, 2018, 9:48 am

If it is really gelatinous, you might have to heat it to get it to dissolve when you try to dilute it.
Suelle
Global Moderator

Postby scullion » May 5th, 2018, 10:04 am

i would be disinclined to water ailing plants with it but rather spread it thinly into the soil about six inches or more away from the plants. if it's a gelatinous gloop it may well just become a thickened layer on top of your soil (especially if you're on clay) that doesn't get broken down too quickly.
next time you find lurking seaweed just crush it to fragments/powder and scatter those around the plants - it'll be easier to be digest by earthworms. if you're using seaweed as a compost, normally, you'd spread it on before winter or compost it - after washing off the salt, bits of polypropylene string and flushable (not) baby/bottom wipes etc.
scullion
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » May 5th, 2018, 7:44 pm

I have squirted a couple of tablespoons into each can of water just to water those plants that needed it today ... it has been really hot here, although it could just have been me working up a sweat doing some digging, planting etc...

I did intend to crumble the thinner, sushi sheets up and scatter that round other plants too ...
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Return to The Coffee Shop