Cold soft drinks for summer.

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Cold soft drinks for summer.

Postby jrc » May 5th, 2018, 2:49 pm

Hi all. Generally, I have two cups of tea in the morning and then go on to iced water or squash for the rest of the day. I can’t do a lot of fruit as although I like it, it doesn’t like me :?

Not over keen on fizzy drinks but am so bored with squash. Can normally only tolerate apple and blaccurrant.

Now the warmer weather is coming ( hopefully ) what do you lot drink during the day. Oh, and fussy me doesn’t like iced tea. :hug:

Any suggestions would be welcomed. :hug:
jrc
Registered

Re: Cold soft drinks for summer.

Postby Busybee » May 5th, 2018, 2:54 pm

Plain water with a slice of lemon. Gallons of it!

BB
Busybee
Registered

Postby Bubbles » May 5th, 2018, 3:19 pm

Although fizzy, I love plain soda water. I keep it in the fridge and have several glasses a day. It's also good with lime cordial, or elderflower cordial.
Bubbles
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » May 5th, 2018, 4:06 pm

Sparkling water - same as winter - or still water in the office. I do hoard recipes for nice alcohol free drinks, but don't often make them. A local cafe does fresh watermelon juice which is lovely - the bought stuff is not worth bothering with.
Oh I quite like alcohol free lemony beer. I always have a couple in the fridge. Only slightly effervescent.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby jrc » May 5th, 2018, 4:25 pm

Thank you, some lovely ideas. Never heard of alcohol free lemony beer? Where can you get it? :hug:
jrc
Registered

Postby uschi » May 5th, 2018, 4:33 pm

Cold rooibos tea. Not iced-tea at all, much lighter and fruitier with no added sugar or anything.
If you like you can use a flavoured version.
uschi
Registered

Postby suffolk » May 5th, 2018, 4:42 pm

Try homemade lemon cordial http://allrecipes.co.uk/recipe/32290/ea ... rdial.aspx

Diluted with fizzy water it's lemony, but not 'fruity' if you know what I mean.
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » May 5th, 2018, 5:02 pm

I love fruit juice such as orange, but mainly have it for nutritious properties and find it thirst quenching only if diluted either with tap water or soda water. My favourite juice in summer is cranberry with lots of ice. I have one on the go right now!

I got into iced tea last summer, but eventually decided I much preferred homemade lemonade over ice. Just lemon zest and juice with sugar and boiling water left to cool.
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » May 5th, 2018, 9:59 pm

I made some lemon cordial out of 5 lemons and some sweetener but I like it pretty tart so he will not drink it :tu: :tu: :tu:
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby Catherine » May 5th, 2018, 11:14 pm

Balsamic vinegar with lemonade
Sparkling Water with sliced cucumber
Lime cordial
Lychee Rubicon
Waitrose no added sugar sparkling red grapefruit
Catherine
Registered

Postby jrc » May 6th, 2018, 8:52 am

Wow, thank you. I tend to use Stevia rather than sugar so I might see if that works. :D :hug:
jrc
Registered

Postby Suelle » May 6th, 2018, 9:21 am

I went to a restaurant a while back where there were jugs of cold water with thin strips of cucumber in on all the tables - it added a surprising amount of flavour and was very refreshing.
Suelle
Global Moderator

Postby TeresaFoodie » May 6th, 2018, 10:23 am

I must try the cucumber in water, sounds lovely!
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby liketocook » May 6th, 2018, 10:28 am

Cold tea with lemon & mint added. In warm weather make a big jug up each evening and keep in the fridge. I find it really refreshing and thirst quenching.
liketocook
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » May 6th, 2018, 12:37 pm

I detest cordials with the exception of mint, and squash - have done since being a child - DD is exactly the same. As for iced tea :sprout:

I tend to drink just cold water or fresh orange juice diluted with fizzy water. I always have a jug of HM lime juice in the fridge in th summer. I make it in the blender using limes, water and what ever sweetner preferred. :sprout: has to be a small amount of sugar because I can't abide Stevia.

If I want a soft drink when out it is usually a Vichy water with mint or a rondelle - slice of lemon.
Je pense, donc je suis. - Decartes
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » May 6th, 2018, 3:05 pm

I find that chilled water with a dash of lemon juice or chilled with lemon slices in it is very refreshing ( and sugar free). Lime works too. I wouldn't have thought it was too 'fruity on the tum. I had forgotten until my current visit to Australia that a popular drink here is fizzy lemon a d lime on ice with a dash of angostura bitters. It is very thirst quenching and utterly delicious. I think you can use blackcurrant and fizzy water or soda plus bitters successfully too.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby KC2 » May 6th, 2018, 4:16 pm

Some really great ideas here! We had iced water - a whole tray of ice cubes - with freshly squeezed lemon and lime juice at lunch and it was very refreshing. We also floated some fresh mint leaves in it and added some slices of lime and lemon.
KC2
Registered

Postby WWordsworth » May 6th, 2018, 4:45 pm

Lemon barley water or sparkling water with a sprig of mint for me.
WWordsworth
Registered

Postby Grasshopper » May 6th, 2018, 8:21 pm

If I'm hot and at home, I might just grab a quick drink of water straight from the tap.
:bounce:
Grasshopper
Spring ventures forth to plant the grain
And Summer dries the straw
Autumn gathers in the harvest
And Winter shuts the door

Grasshopper
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » May 6th, 2018, 8:40 pm

I'm with you Grassy. I wouldn't be without my tap water and carry a sports bottle of the stuff with me wherever I go. Funny that because my mum proclaims to hate any form of water, as did her mum before her! That's something else I will never understand!
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » May 7th, 2018, 11:21 am

I do like a tomato juice. i am currently craving iced coffee. I sometimes do cold brew.

Lemony (and other fruity flavoured) AF beers, I am afraid we buy in France but I think there might be a similar thing here too? Radler is 2%. Abroad you can get a 0% Radler

Apparently Becks Blue do or did a lemon version.

I hope someone does market this here. It makes a nice AF change from very sweet drinks and water.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » May 7th, 2018, 12:04 pm

I love tomato juice too Herbie and I also like V* and other such drinks but they are hardly refreshing and probably best with a shot of vodka :oops: :oops:

Blitzed watermelon with added sparkling water is rather good.
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby karadekoolaid » May 7th, 2018, 1:29 pm

Ginger cordial?
Lassi?
Sangrita a la Mexicana (half orange juice, half tomato juice, splash of lemon/lime, hot sauce optional)
And yes, I know it´s not "soft", but shandy is also very refreshing. You could use a very mild ale.
" Bite off more than you can chew, then chew like Hell!"
karadekoolaid
Registered

Postby MagicMarmite » May 7th, 2018, 1:37 pm

The only things I drink these days are water and lager!
it's quite awkward really as sometimes I feel like getting out for a bit and an hour in a coffee shop with WIFI would be great, but I don't want to buy a bottle of water because it's unnecessary, plus the plastic use, but can hardly order tap water and then sit for ages.
I also don't eat during the day, so don't want to buy food.
MagicMarmite
Registered

Postby KC2 » May 7th, 2018, 1:38 pm

karadekoolaid wrote:Ginger cordial?
Lassi?
Sangrita a la Mexicana (half orange juice, half tomato juice, splash of lemon/lime, hot sauce optional)
And yes, I know it´s not "soft", but shandy is also very refreshing. You could use a very mild ale.

Like the sound of the sangrita, KK :drool:
KC2
Registered

Postby StokeySue » May 7th, 2018, 2:43 pm

Not nust me that had problems finding things to drink then
Water or lime cordial is my standard, sometimes if I want a change then Old Jamaica ginger beer (the diet version is fine, especially if you add the juice of half a lime)
Apple juice and fizzy water works
I also like an chilled infusion of hibiscus rosella (aka karkaday aka sorrel) which does need quite a bit of sweetening though. And it's very pretty, rather like cranberry to look at
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » May 7th, 2018, 4:54 pm

With the BBQ today I had diet ginger beer and a shot of lime, I sometimes add a few drops of angosturas for an evening drink with a straw.
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » May 7th, 2018, 5:17 pm

Is it worth resurrecting Lee's ginger beer thread from seven years ago? Where does the time go? Anyway, it is super scrummy and deliciously refreshing. :chops: I need to have another pop at making it again soon.

viewtopic.php?f=29&t=4300&hilit=rhubarb+ginger+beer
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby jrc » May 8th, 2018, 7:10 am

I will be trying the cucumber and mint very soon. Well as soon as the mint from next doors garden has poked its head back through the fence. Bob saw it had come through and pulled it all up on our side :rolleyes: :lol:
I’m sure it won’t be long before it comes back though. :P
jrc
Registered

Postby Meganthemog » May 8th, 2018, 5:35 pm

StokeySue wrote:Not nust me that had problems finding things to drink then
Water or lime cordial is my standard, sometimes if I want a change then Old Jamaica ginger beer (the diet version is fine, especially if you add the juice of half a lime)
Apple juice and fizzy water works
I also like an chilled infusion of hibiscus rosella (aka karkaday aka sorrel) which does need quite a bit of sweetening though. And it's very pretty, rather like cranberry to look at

I have rediscovered Old Jamaica ginger beer in the last week - it's on offer in Lidl at 6 cans for £1.99. I keep a couple of cans in the fridge and it is deliciously 'hot'. I love the fact that it is so Enid Blyton :lol: :lol:
Meganthemog
Registered

Postby StokeySue » May 8th, 2018, 6:00 pm

Meganthemog wrote: I love the fact that it is so Enid Blyton

I think of this version as pretty West indian, but yes, lashings of....
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Badger's mate » May 9th, 2018, 6:53 am

I tried a tin of tamarind nectar the other day, the idea appealed but it was a bit too sweet for me. (Off topic but) I've always hankered after sampling a tamarind Margarita but have never got a round tuit. Possibly because the original is always an option alongside it. :D
Badger's mate
Registered

Postby northleedsbhoy » May 9th, 2018, 1:40 pm

Got to admit that I do like ice cream and diet lemonade as a summer (or even winter) soft drink. Used to like it with American Cream Soda when I was a kid but Sainsbury's don't sell a diet version, in fact I don't think the sell ther regular one. Other than that I stick to Robinson's sugar free orange and barley squash and I keep a bottle of lemon juice in the fridge to add to it.

Cheers
NLB :tu:
northleedsbhoy
Registered

Postby Amber » May 9th, 2018, 9:59 pm

I’d forgotten about balsamic and lemonade. Wasn’t it supposed to be like a Pimms substitute? I like local sparkling water, ginger beer and V8, can you still buy it?
Amber
Registered

Postby Amber » May 9th, 2018, 10:00 pm

ETA not all at the same time :shock: :D .
Amber
Registered

Postby jrc » May 10th, 2018, 8:02 am

My ex father in law used to swear by Vischy water. He used to make monthly trips to France and came home with a car loaded with that, stumpy bottles of lager and cases of wine.
I hated the Vischy water. It tastes like Alkaline Selza to me. :oops:
jrc
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » May 10th, 2018, 8:11 am

Amber wrote:I’d forgotten about balsamic and lemonade. Wasn’t it supposed to be like a Pimms substitute? I like local sparkling water, ginger beer and V8, can you still buy it?

I usually add some V8 to my Ocado order when I can get one. It is good to drink au natire. I can't get it here, neither can I get ginger beer, which I much prefer to ginger ale.

I quite like Vichy jrc especaiily with a splash of mint syrup. It is supposed to be good in the heat because it helps replace minerals lost in perspiration. Another goof thing it is now one of the fe mineral waters which comes in glass bottles
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby StokeySue » May 10th, 2018, 10:11 am

Lidl used to do a version of V8, I prefer V8 personally but well worth a try
I think Lidl claim 10 veg :D
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby KC2 » May 10th, 2018, 12:41 pm

I've never tried their V8/10 (!) but find their tomato juice pretty good - thinking about getting some next time I go there and trying it with KK's Mexican sangrita

karadekoolaid wrote:Sangrita a la Mexicana (half orange juice, half tomato juice, splash of lemon/lime, hot sauce optional)

Limes seem to be in season at the market - an absolutely huge number for £1.50 the other day - I spoke nicely to the stall holder and she sold me 8 for 50p :lol:
KC2
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » May 10th, 2018, 3:42 pm

Thanks to whoever has mentioned adding lemon juice to drinks. I totally forgot I have a bottle in the fridge which I use in cooking and add to Earl grey instead of a slice of lemon. I just added some to my pomegranate and apple juice which I was finding a tad too sweet. It's made it far more enjoyable.
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Kavey » May 11th, 2018, 7:23 am

I second the suggestion for lassi, I adore it, ice cold out of the fridge.

To make it light and refreshing, you can make it quite thin -- just adjust the ratio of yoghurt to water. Sweeten to taste, add a couple of drops of rose water or kewra essence if you like, and pop into the fridge till chilled. FAB!
Kavey
Registered

Postby karadekoolaid » May 13th, 2018, 12:39 am

KC2: go ahead and try it. I think sangrita is delicious - although I drink it with a tequila on the side.

Badger´s Mate: prepared tamarind juice is horrendous. As you say, far too much sugar. I buy blocks of tamarind ( because I cook a lot of Indian and SE Asian food) and extract the water from it. It might sound like a bit of a faff, but it´s worthwhile. Tamarind is teeth-gratingly ( :terrified: have I just invented a new phrase? sharp, and it´s the sharpness that tastes so good. A bit like rhubarb. Takes the skin off the roof of your mouth, so to speak, but very refreshing.
Buy a block of tamarind in the (Indian) grocery, and put the whole lot, pods and all, in a bowl. It will be very sticky, but not to worry. Cover with water and leave it for 30 minutes or so. Then put your hands into the bowl and squash/squeeze the tamarind until it falls apart. Add a little more water and repeat the process. Now pour the contents of the bowl through a sieve,(into another bowl) little by little, and press down on the solids (pulp, seeds, pods) with a wooden spoon. When you´ve finished, you should have a thick, brown liquid . Now you have pure tamarind juice. Try it. ACID! :P Discard the seeds and pods. Pour the tamarind into a container and keep in the fridge.
To make a tamarind drink, put some ice in a glass, add a couple of tablespoons of pulp, add sugar to taste( you WILL need sugar, but never as much as the prepared version), stir and drink.
" Bite off more than you can chew, then chew like Hell!"
karadekoolaid
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » May 13th, 2018, 6:39 am

Thanks for the reminder Kool, I used my HM tamarind yesterday when I made Mamtas aubergine pickle. I will add the juice idea to my list of non alcoholic drinks (5 weeks now !). I will use sweetener and not sugar. :tu:
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby Badger's mate » May 13th, 2018, 6:44 am

I use tamarind regularly, for cooking rather than drinks. There are a couple of blocks in the cupboard as we speak.

We were in a Surinamese takeaway in Amsterdam, needing something to drink, saw the tamarind nectar and thought it might make a nice change. I was mistaken. :D
Badger's mate
Registered

Postby icelesley » May 13th, 2018, 7:24 am

I have coffee with breakfast then sparkling water the rest of the day, sometimes with Apple and blackcurrant squash or lemon squash and I do like black and greens ginger and lemongrass cordial too.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway. Image ImageImage
icelesley
Registered

Postby Amber » May 13th, 2018, 8:23 pm

A long glass of ice cold milk. :D
Amber
Registered

Postby StokeySue » May 14th, 2018, 9:30 am

I find tamarind a bit too much for a refreshing drink
Yesterday I had the juice of half a lime with a splash of sugar syrup topped up with soda water, good also with lemon
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Luca » May 14th, 2018, 5:12 pm

My favourite soft drink in summer is copious amounts of either freshly squeezed lemon or lime plus water and crushed ice. I was introduced to cucumber water recently and now also make that. Very refreshing, especially with some torn baby mint leaves.

I'm looking forward to trying some of the ideas. I had a lovely natural yoghourt / water drink in Turkey with salt. Very refreshing but I don't remember the name. Will ask my friend.
Luca
Global Moderator

Postby KC2 » May 14th, 2018, 5:16 pm

Luca wrote:My favourite soft drink in summer is copious amounts of either freshly squeezed lemon or lime plus water and crushed ice.

Ah, I guess you have one of those fridges :lol: I always wanted one but we never had the right space for it.
KC2
Registered

Postby Luca » May 14th, 2018, 5:29 pm

Sadly not. I do however crush ice easily in my Nutribullet. We must catch up soon. :hug:
Luca
Global Moderator

Next

Return to The Coffee Shop