Spectacle marks on my nose

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Spectacle marks on my nose

Postby TeresaFoodie » May 6th, 2018, 8:30 am

I've been wearing glasses for over a decade, for about the last eight months for long distance as well as reading / computer work. So my poor nose doesn't really get much of a rest! I am noticing an unsightly and slightly irritable mark either side of the bridge of my nose.
Anyone know how I can prevent this, resolve this?

I have looked for a remedy. Some, as here, seem a bit odd, or hit or miss, or both!

https://www.wetellyouhow.com/9-home-rem ... s-on-nose/
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Re: Spectacle marks on my nose

Postby scullion » May 6th, 2018, 9:27 am

i use glasses for telly watching and reading and if i've been doing a lot of either and the glasses irritate i stick a soft earplug between the glasses bridge and my nose.
it doesn't look cool but then i don't go out like that!
scullion
Registered

Postby suffolk » May 6th, 2018, 9:47 am

I find that lightweight metal frames with good 'cushion pads' are much easier on my nose than solid plastic frames.
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Gruney » May 6th, 2018, 9:56 am

If they're the ones with pads, rather than the solid type - take them to an optician, and they'll widen the gap a bit.
Gruney
Registered

Postby StokeySue » May 6th, 2018, 10:05 am

Contrariwise, I've moved from frames with cushion pads to all plastic frame with no separate nose pads, and they are much more comfortable and mark less

Have a good look at your frames off and on - there's a bit of adjustment in most, usually the optician will readjust them for you quit happily, and better to have them do it, apart from the expertise it really helps to have it done by someone who can look at your head from all sides!

Also, the little pads should be changed occasionally, they tend to yellow a bit and go stiff - perhaps every year or 18 months, much more comfortable with new soft pads - but check cost as some styles of pad cost about £10

Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » May 6th, 2018, 10:33 am

Thanks folks.

I have a feeling that the spectacles are well fitting. They sit very nicely and are comfortable, not tight or anything, sometimes I forget that I have them on! I have had these ones about eight months and no yellowing on the pads, although I will keep an eye or two :lol: on that! I am feeling almost as if it is some kind of allergy, maybe? My skin feels a bit lumpy, like a rash more than a dent where the pad has been. I've had a similar rash /dry skin around the creases to each side of my nostrils (nice) for donkey's years, E45 cream keeps that in check. I've never had a diagnosis on that skin condition!

I have an abundance of soft ear plugs, unpacked just the other day amidst lots of these :woohoo: so I am going to try that tonight and hope I don't have a nose meets ear plug allergy! :lol:
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby suffolk » May 6th, 2018, 11:09 am

TeresaFoodie wrote: I've had a similar rash /dry skin around the creases to each side of my nostrils (nice) for donkey's years, E45 cream keeps that in check. I've never had a diagnosis on that skin condition!

I have that too ... it's much better when I'm making a conscious effort to be really well hydrated.
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby aero280 » May 6th, 2018, 12:08 pm

I have two pairs of varifocals. One clear and one polarised sunglasses.

The clear ones which I wear almost all the time are frameless and weigh 15 grammes and I hardly notice them.

The sunglasses are worn mostly for driving. They are a lot heavier and I find that they can become painful in really hot weather.
http://www.saabtechtalk.com/
aero280
Site Admin

Postby earthmaiden » May 6th, 2018, 3:13 pm

I second all the things Sue has said.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » May 6th, 2018, 8:45 pm

When I changed my last pair of glasses, I went for skull grips, a mens style. They are very comfortable but during very warm weather the nose pads seem to make my nose sweat and I end up with very small (sorry) whiteheads on the sides of my nose. I don't get any nose marks though :?
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » May 6th, 2018, 10:38 pm

Reading back over everything (thanks all) and considering through winter months I had no problem, I am wondering if this is a warmer weather, sweat, dehydrated issue, the sweat maybe being quite a prominent factor, although I am quite clean, seeing as I haven't been able to shower properly since wet room woes, and have been pretty active with the house move! Painting a really lovely picture of my hooter aren't I? :lol: So, better nose hygiene and drink more water, a crime I am often guilty of especially when trying to get jobs done.
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby karadekoolaid » May 7th, 2018, 12:16 am

Contact lenses, Teresa! 8-)
" Bite off more than you can chew, then chew like Hell!"
karadekoolaid
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » May 7th, 2018, 7:37 am

That's something I'll have to speak to the eye clinic about at my next check up this month, Clive. I have two eye conditions which means that might not be possible :td: although it might :tu:
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby karadekoolaid » May 7th, 2018, 1:25 pm

Depends on the condition, of course.
I used them for years with a stigmatism, short-sightedness and long sightedness.
" Bite off more than you can chew, then chew like Hell!"
karadekoolaid
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » May 7th, 2018, 1:33 pm

I have Blepharitis and a scarred right cornea. The cornea can never be repaired, but there has been talk of having a special lens for that eye TBC at my next appointment. Must book that in tomorrow.
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Amber » May 9th, 2018, 9:03 pm

I wonder why they don’t make non-slip nose pads.....?
Amber
Registered

Postby StokeySue » May 10th, 2018, 9:46 am

I don't think the skin on yournnose woukd like that very much and I don't think they'd be very comfortable if they couldn't move at all, be like having then glued on
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby slimpersoninside » May 11th, 2018, 9:00 am

I go for gel pads on mine and they're fine. I do also wear rimless specs.
slimpersoninside
Registered

Postby Meganthemog » May 11th, 2018, 10:27 am

TeresaFoodie wrote:I have Blepharitis and a scarred right cornea. The cornea can never be repaired, but there has been talk of having a special lens for that eye TBC at my next appointment. Must book that in tomorrow.

Ask your optician for some Blepharitis wipes. They are great for removing eye makeup and cure Blepharitis very quickly. My optician gives them to me whenever I have a flare up.
Meganthemog
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » May 11th, 2018, 10:36 am

The wipes sound brilliant, just what I need. I shouldn't be surprised, but I am, why the eye clinic hasn't already suggested them. :rolleyes: Something to add to the list of questions to ask! Thanks! :tu:
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Return to The Coffee Shop