Rice/Pasta salad suggestions

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Rice/Pasta salad suggestions

Postby PatsyMFagan » May 11th, 2018, 8:18 am

My sister is having a BBQ tomorrow for her 70th birthday and she has graciously allowed me to make a contribution ... but only a cold salad of some kind! She prides herself in her cooking skills so is doing all the catering herself and the table will be groaning with hm puddings and lots of other stuff - she's been at it for days :rolleyes: :lol:

So, suggestions for you best cold salad, either with rice or pasta please ... I know you won't let me down ;) :kneel:
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Re: Rice/Pasta salad suggestions

Postby suffolk » May 11th, 2018, 8:44 am

Oh dear ... I'm not a fan of either so I won't even try :oops: I always prefer a good potato salad, but that's not what you want so I'll leave it to the others .......... but have a lovely time at the BBQ anyway :D
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby icelesley » May 11th, 2018, 8:56 am

chop up all your favorite salad veg like radish, celery, tomatoes, spring onions, peppers etc. add the warm (not hot) pasta and some mayonnaise (not too much you want to see it but not let it be the main ingredient) mix and chill. You can add anything you like really.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway. Image ImageImage
icelesley
Registered

Postby Seatallan » May 11th, 2018, 9:01 am

Oooh, pasta shells with tomato, basil, toasted pine nuts, finely sliced red onion and a dressing made of pesto diluted with a little white wine vinegar. :chops:
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » May 11th, 2018, 9:04 am

Not exactly rice or pasta, like Suffs I dislike both, but how about a tabbouleh ? You can cheat by using cous cous grains instead of bulgar. It is one of our staples with BBQs. If you need a recipe just shout.
Je pense, donc je suis. - Decartes
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby Badger's mate » May 11th, 2018, 9:08 am

I know she's not everyone's favourite, but I've been meaning to try a MB recipe for wild rice salad, with grated carrot, coriander & chilli. I bought the rice 'a while back' and haven't got a round tuit. Has anyone else tried this?
Badger's mate
Registered

Postby suffolk » May 11th, 2018, 9:21 am

Ratatouille wrote: how about a tabbouleh ?

Now you're talking :hungry:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » May 11th, 2018, 9:37 am

I was going to say I second icey's pasta salad - but Seatallen's looks very tempting! I find that quite a few of my more mature friends are not very adventurous when it comes to chilli etc so what you choose should reflect the tastes if those attending.

My favourite rice salad ideallyuses a nutty rice or mixed black & white and has roasted(unsalted) peanuts, roasted sunflower seeds, sweet corn, and a dressing of oil and soy sauce. Ratio of filling to rice about third to half. Not always popular with false teeth or nut allergies though.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby liketocook » May 11th, 2018, 9:56 am

Orzo mixed with roasted aubergines, red onion, peppers, garlic and courgettes, sundried tomatoes and lots of lemon, mint and basil always goes down a treat with my family.
liketocook
Registered

Postby Meganthemog » May 11th, 2018, 10:24 am

My favourite is a couscous salad - you'll need to start today as it is an overnight soak.
Put desired amount of cous cous in a large bowl and add a good glug of EVOO to coat all the grains. Add in the juice of several lemons and then a mixture of any salad veg that you like. I chop a whole cucumber into small dice, diced tomatoes, radishes, peppers, spring onions etc and add to the bowl. Cover with clingfilm and refrigerate. In the morning give it a good stir and season to taste. I also add sun dried tomatoes as they add a depth of flavour. I'm always asked to bring this to BBQs as it has become a real favourite.
Alternatively a tuna pasta salad is a crowd pleaser. I use a tiny shell pasta and good quality jarred tuna mixed with mayo and chopped capers, lemon juice and seasoned with S&P.
Meganthemog
Registered

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » May 11th, 2018, 10:24 am

My favourite involves cous cous or bulghar wheat with lots of herbs, lemon juice, feta, seasoning and whatever veg/salad items we fancy.

A rice dish (served either hot or cold) which we also love with a bbq is cooked rice mixed with chopped cooked green beans (if serving hot, spring onions if serving cold), cubes of grilled halloumi, diced tomato and red onion, and some ras el hanout and ground cumin. Mint, coriander, basil and parsley are all nice additions to the dish too. Dress it with a little good quality evoo before serving.
OneMoreCheekyOne
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » May 11th, 2018, 10:44 am

OneMoreCheekyOne wrote:My favourite involves cous cous or bulghar wheat with lots of herbs, lemon juice, feta, seasoning and whatever veg/salad items we fancy.

A rice dish (served either hot or cold) which we also love with a bbq is cooked rice mixed with chopped cooked green beans (if serving hot, spring onions if serving cold), cubes of grilled halloumi, diced tomato and red onion, and some ras el hanout and ground cumin. Mint, coriander, basil and parsley are all nice additions to the dish too. Dress it with a little good quality evoo before serving.

The rice salad here is something I was going to suggest. I would maybe add pitted marinated olives but not everyone likes those, so you could take a selection to put on the side, or someone else may. I first made this about twenty years when I moved into a house where the garden was absolutely over-run with mint and thought what am I going to do with this lot??!! Goes really well on a BBQ alongside all the other usual suspects, and is lovely and zingy with the lemon and fresh and summery with the mint.
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby StokeySue » May 11th, 2018, 12:44 pm

I would suggest anything from Ainsley's Barbeque Bible but I can't put my hands on it at the moment, He tests his recipes!

Specifically his Noddle Doodle salad, which used to be online but I can't find it at the moment

This is similar
https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/1541/thai-rice-noodle-salad

Rice salad I make up as I go along, pasta salad ditto, the trick with either is definitely to get some drssing on while the carbs are warm (you can add more and more veg and herbs later) and to cut the veg fairly small - a sudden big chunk falling off the fork ain't nice

Ainsley is good on dressings too, and his trick it to start with a couple of TBS of bought mayo (even low fat will do) and whisk in about 2 TBS lemon juice or vinegar and 6 TBS oil, plus mustard, S&P, and any other seasoning you like (a touch of hot sauce or some mild chilli flakes is gooo) The mayo just acts as an emulsifier and gives the dressing a really good coating consistency, very good especially with pasta

If feeling idle or rushed, Hellmann's mayo and Bick's Onion Relish 50/50 works surprisingly well (trick from a local pub)
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » May 11th, 2018, 12:51 pm

Oooh, some lovely suggestions thanks :tu: .... I will keep re-reading ... I have plenty of brown rice and cous-cous, also orzo and other pasta, so plenty to think about :bounce:
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » May 11th, 2018, 1:10 pm

suffolk wrote:
Ratatouille wrote: how about a tabbouleh ?

Now you're talking :hungry:

Yes please Rats ... I have plenty of bulgar and cous cous :tu:
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby Catherine » May 11th, 2018, 2:46 pm

This makes a lovely buffet style salad. Not pasta or rice though.

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/116 ... ap-peas-an
Catherine
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » May 11th, 2018, 2:53 pm

I am in favour of tabbouleh, with lots of fresh herbs.

Moira
When life gives you lemons, make sorbet
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » May 11th, 2018, 6:33 pm

Sorry i'm in a rush and have been logged off

Take about 25gr of cous cous for 6 people - that's generous,
Put in a bowl and add 2 tbsp olive oil and the juice of a lemon.
Add 2 or three skinned tomatoes, chopped. ( you can add a can if the tomatoes are not at their best
Add a good handfull of fresh mint and about half the quantity of parsley covered = finely chopped, Season well.
Stir and leave covered. When the cous cous is fluffed up, taste again and add whatever is needed - more oil, more lemon (I think this is the important bit.)
Sorry to be vague but it really is up to you. Make sure it is moist and very very minty.
you can also add some chopped spring onions if you want.
Je pense, donc je suis. - Decartes
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » May 11th, 2018, 6:42 pm

I'll second spring onions for colour, crunch and a more subtle flavour than chopped regular onion in this.
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby KC2 » May 11th, 2018, 10:19 pm

Tabbouleh or kisir - our current fave salad! The one they serve at EV is fantastic - they add hazelnuts and dill as well.

This is a good one: https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyl ... ottolenghi although I use rather more pomegranate molasses than he suggests (and I generally only make 200 g of bulgar as we happen to have fine bulgar at the moment and it goes a long way).

Have a lovely time and happy birthday your sis!
KC2
Registered

Postby StokeySue » May 12th, 2018, 12:06 am

If you look in a good Middle Eastern cook book, you will learn that the main ingredient of tabbouleh is chopped flat leaf parsley, then onion, tomato, a little bulgar, and dressing
Served in little saucers as part of a meze, and certainly I've eaten it that way in Lebanon and Syria
Where the British idea that you can substitute couscous for the bulgar comes from heaven only knows but you can't. It makes a nice salad but by no stretch of the imagination is it tabbouleh, it's just couscous salad

BUT a Lebanese friend assures me that although restaurant tabbouleh is always a small dish that is more parsley than bulgar, at home that's not necessarily so. Apparently what his family do is rinse the bulgar when you start preparing lunch, and put it in the bottom of the salad bowl. Then you put on top in order chopped tomatoes, chopped parsley and finely chopped onion. You leave this to one side while you prepare everything else, then you add oil, lemon juice, and salt and mix well; the tomato juice will have soaked into the bulgar and the salad will be ready. If anyone asks, that can be called tabbouleh, but but mostly, it's lunch. :D The proportions vary according to availability and how much you need it to fill people up
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » May 12th, 2018, 6:58 am

Thanks everyone .... some lovely suggestions here .. I have now got the bones of a nice salad dish.

Shame that it was such a lovely bank holiday week-end and also a nice week, and today it has turned quite chilly with a likelihood of rain :( Not good when a BBQ is planned, you have invited about 30 people and now going to have to fit them in your house :rolleyes:

I will pass on birthday wishes to my baby sis ;) :hug: :hug: :hug:
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » May 12th, 2018, 7:55 am

Fingers crossed that the weather will be kind to you all! Have fun and enjoy the food. 8-)
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby scullion » May 12th, 2018, 10:17 am

my suggestion was going to be tabouleh, too. very much like sue's suggestion, packed with as much parsley and a good amount of mint as possible. i usually use very finely sliced shallot if i have some, rather than ordinary onion. one of my favourite salads.
i avoid pasta salad and most rice salads but the one i used to make (at home and at the vegetarian restaurant i worked at in the eighties) is with cooked brown rice some chopped onion, a red and a green pepper (in small dice), some chopped walnuts and dressed with tamari (or soy sauce).
another i haven't made for a long time is - cooked green lentils and green split peas, when cooled and drained add a fair amount of chopped onion, dried mixed herbs, salt and black pepper, and a little oil and a good amount of ordinary brown malt vinegar. simple but tasty. (i used dried mixed herbs because fresh were not available in the same way they are now - and i didn't have any in the garden - but it seemed to work with the dried, anyway). better if left in the fridge overnight.
scullion
Registered

Postby StokeySue » May 12th, 2018, 10:32 am

I don't know what they used do to the rice salad at Food for All on Neal Street but best I've ever had. Last time I went in they didn't have it so it may be lost and gone forever :(
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby suffolk » May 12th, 2018, 10:34 am

I'm blaming this thread ... we're having tabbouleh and a mezze-style supper on the sofa this evening while we peer through our fingers at Eurovison (guilty pleasure ;) )
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby KC2 » May 12th, 2018, 11:47 am

StokeySue wrote:If you look in a good Middle Eastern cook book, you will learn that the main ingredient of tabbouleh is chopped flat leaf parsley, then onion, tomato, a little bulgar, and dressing

Yes, I've noticed that in Claudia Roden - 250g parsley to 75g bulgar!

StokeySue wrote:BUT a Lebanese friend assures me that although restaurant tabbouleh is always a small dish that is more parsley than bulgar, at home that's not necessarily so. Apparently what his family do is rinse the bulgar when you start preparing lunch, and put it in the bottom of the salad bowl. Then you put on top in order chopped tomatoes, chopped parsley and finely chopped onion. You leave this to one side while you prepare everything else, then you add oil, lemon juice, and salt and mix well; the tomato juice will have soaked into the bulgar and the salad will be ready. If anyone asks, that can be called tabbouleh, but but mostly, it's lunch. :D The proportions vary according to availability and how much you need it to fill people up

That's really interesting Sue. Do you know what size bulgar your Lebanese friend would use? We only discovered the fine relatively recently - before that I guess it was always medium or coarse, anyway, the one you usually get in the supermarket.
KC2
Registered

Postby KC2 » May 12th, 2018, 11:52 am

It's just started to rain here Patsy, I do hope it's holding off a bit longer round your way ...
KC2
Registered

Postby StokeySue » May 12th, 2018, 12:21 pm

I must admit I tend to use whichever bulgar I've got to hand, which would usually be "pilavi", fairly coarse for pilaff. But iirc in Beirut they used medium or fine, and Ottolenghi specifies fine, which is probably a sensible guide as he is a good chef and shops in London! He also uses a lot of mint, which I have never done (or eaten) but sounds worth a try
https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2009/aug/01/yotam-ottolenghi-vegetarian-tabbouleh
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby KC2 » May 12th, 2018, 12:44 pm

Ha, just looked at your link, "Put the bulgar in a fine sieve ..." he says. I tried that once but unfortunately my sieve wasn't fine enough for my fine bulgar and so lost a load down the plug hole :lol: :lol:

Interesting that he uses ground allspice. I'll definitely give that a go next time.
Thanks!
KC2
Registered

Postby Catherine » May 12th, 2018, 12:47 pm

StokeySue wrote:If you look in a good Middle Eastern cook book, you will learn that the main ingredient of tabbouleh is chopped flat leaf parsley, then onion, tomato, a little bulgar, and dressing

This is how I have always understood it to be done and like this I really like it, but so many restaurants add mint to it and I hate mint. There is also never enough parsley so I never order it
Catherine
Registered

Postby StokeySue » May 12th, 2018, 12:54 pm

Im not sure about the allspice, I think I'd probably try it if the salad is stand-alone, but not if making as part of meze with other spicy components
Catherine, the tabbouleh at Al Waha in Bayswater is Beirut standard
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » May 12th, 2018, 1:26 pm

I ended up using the link that KC2 sent of a recipe from the Guardian by the Otto fella, using cous cous instead of bulgar wheat as I didn't have any of that ... in fact how are they different ? This recipe had a teaspoon of ground cumin in and I was just shy of that, just emptied the jar in ;) It's tasty :tu: I have only (so far) used chopped parsley... mint isn't in that recipe.

The rain has started ... hope it stops by 6 pm :( :cry: :rolleyes:

Oh,... The recipe calls for pomegranate seeds which I have, but could I also add chopped apricots, or will that be over egging the pudding ? ;) :?:
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby StokeySue » May 12th, 2018, 1:52 pm

PatsyMFagan wrote:n fact how are they different ?

They are completely different
Bulgar (burgul, pourgouri) is made from cracked (crushed) whole wheat parboiled then dried, so it is cooked. It is mainly found all round the eastern Mediterranean and through the Middle East

Couscous comes from the maghreb, mainly Morocco and Algeria. It is made from white semolina wetted and formed into little balls and steamed, the kind you buy is obviously then dried and needs rehydrating and more or less cooking depending on type. It's technically a form of pasta, and like other forms of pasta is usually prepared fresh in its country of origin. This is supposed to be vastly superior, but I can't say (whispers) I can tell the difference between fresh and Ferrero's instant
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby KC2 » May 12th, 2018, 4:22 pm

PatsyMFagan wrote:I ended up using the link that KC2 sent of a recipe from the Guardian by the Otto fella, using cous cous instead of bulgar wheat as I didn't have any of that ... in fact how are they different ? This recipe had a teaspoon of ground cumin in and I was just shy of that, just emptied the jar in ;) It's tasty :tu: I have only (so far) used chopped parsley... mint isn't in that recipe.

The rain has started ... hope it stops by 6 pm :( :cry: :rolleyes:

Oh,... The recipe calls for pomegranate seeds which I have, but could I also add chopped apricots, or will that be over egging the pudding ? ;) :?:

Sorry - was out delivering meds to a good friend with a migraine and then doing a Tesco shop! Probably too late now but don't worry about the lack of pomegranate seeds. There's another recipe I've used which uses walnuts and pomegranate molasses and Claudia Roden's has mint in it and no cumin (and no sign of pomegranate, seeds or otherwise!) ... I sometimes put raisins in couscous - but I'm sure whatever you decided to do will be lovely :lol: So sorry about the crap weather for the party :( It's not cold here but pretty damn wet :(
KC2
Registered

Postby KC2 » May 12th, 2018, 4:25 pm

StokeySue wrote:
PatsyMFagan wrote:n fact how are they different ?

They are completely different
Bulgar (burgul, pourgouri) is made from cracked (crushed) whole wheat parboiled then dried, so it is cooked. It is mainly found all round the eastern Mediterranean and through the Middle East

Couscous comes from the maghreb, mainly Morocco and Algeria. It is made from white semolina wetted and formed into little balls and steamed, the kind you buy is obviously then dried and needs rehydrating and more or less cooking depending on type. It's technically a form of pasta, and like other forms of pasta is usually prepared fresh in its country of origin. This is supposed to be vastly superior, but I can't say (whispers) I can tell the difference between fresh and Ferrero's instant

Thank you for the tutorial, Sue :lol: I've often wondered but never bothered enough to look it up for myself :lol:

Edited to say that I didn't read to the bottom of the page in Claudia Roden :oops: and she has suggested a variation is to add 1-2 tbsp of pomegranate molasses to her dressing, which, she says, gives the grain a sweet-and-sour flavour ...
Btw, her recipe doesn't use any cooked onions either.
KC2
Registered

Postby StokeySue » May 12th, 2018, 4:33 pm

KC2 wrote:Btw, her recipe doesn't use any cooked onions either.

Mystified

Does any recipe use coked onions?

I've always though of it as a raw salad, apart from the bulgar
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby KC2 » May 12th, 2018, 6:07 pm

Yes, that seems to be a major difference between kisir and tabbouleh - the Ottolenghi recipe uses cooked onions, as does the other one I mentioned (https://twospoons.wordpress.com/2011/05 ... h-walnuts/ which is basically the Ottolenghi recipe with a few alterations).

I have been trying to recreate the one at EV - they describe it as "KISIR Bulgur wheat mixed with crushed walnuts and hazelnuts, spring onions and tomato sauce, seasoned with fresh mint, dill and herbs".
Whenever we go there I just can't eat enough of it! The last time I made it (last week-end!) I used quite a bit of fresh dill and it is definitely an excellent addition ... I didn't have any hazelnuts but did have walnuts, which I toasted and added and their texture and taste was great. We're not great chilli eaters so I don't tend to add them unless they're essential although Ottolenghi and Roden both include them. OH finds they can upset his stomach.

Maybe if your Lebanese friend also makes a version of kisir it would be great to hear what he puts in it!
KC2
Registered

Postby StokeySue » May 12th, 2018, 6:36 pm

Yes kisir is really a more a cold pilaff with raw additions that a tabbouleh type salad, isn't it?
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby KC2 » May 12th, 2018, 7:03 pm

Yes, Sue, I think that's a good description.
Using cooked onion seems to be variable - maybe depending on what area of Turkey that particular recipe originated?

Next time I'm at EV maybe I should ask them - they already said the recipe was "secret" - of course :lol: But if I have a specific question they may answer it ...
KC2
Registered

Postby StokeySue » May 12th, 2018, 9:28 pm

I just tried the "rustic" version, a layer of rinsed bulgar, a layer of peeled (but not de-seeded) diced tomato, a layer of parsley, some red onion. Left for a bit over an hour, after which the bulgar layer was at least twice as thick as when it started, and the tomato, which I thought might be too much shrank right down Definitely my future method
Not sure if it will show up in the pics
IMG_20180512_1919030_rewind.jpg
Before standing
Attachments
IMG_20180512_2017021_rewind.jpg
After
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby KC2 » May 12th, 2018, 10:48 pm

Looks great!! Must definitely give it a try. Bet it tasted great too!
KC2
Registered

Postby Grasshopper » May 13th, 2018, 7:02 pm

How about cooked mixed veg, such as peas, sweetcorn, baby carrots, etc mixed into cooked white rice and chilled?

:bounce:
Grasshopper
Spring ventures forth to plant the grain
And Summer dries the straw
Autumn gathers in the harvest
And Winter shuts the door

Grasshopper
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » May 13th, 2018, 9:55 pm

I'm not sure if you can buy them, but Bird's Eye used to sell bags of frozen savoury rice that already contained peas, sweetcorn, onion and mushroom. Tasty on its own once microwaved or boiled it could be cooled and whatever you like added. Chopped spring onion, diced tomato, herbs of choice, pulses such as chick peas of butter beans. Very nice.
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby KC2 » May 14th, 2018, 4:12 pm

How did your sister's party go, Patsy? Hope a good time was had by all despite the weather :( And I trust your salad went down a treat :D
KC2
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » May 14th, 2018, 4:25 pm

It went very well considering that we couldn't get outside, but all piled into the house. I had a vague feeling that she would do a cous cous salad too and I wasn't wrong :td: However, mine tasted very different - very tomatoey and spicy and I thought it was delicious ... I don't think there was much left.

My friend's daughter (who sings to backing tracks) came along and/kept the party going ... We all fancied ourselves as backing singers ! ;) 8-)

The table was groaning with food - every kind of meat you could think of, including a fish parcel, blackened potatoes, lots of salad and a veggie filled pastry for the lone veggie there. 3 cheesecakes that I can recall as well as lemon posset with hm shortbread biscuits and other stuff I now can't recall.
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby Luca » May 14th, 2018, 4:46 pm

StokeySue wrote:I just tried the "rustic" version, a layer of rinsed bulgar, a layer of peeled (but not de-seeded) diced tomato, a layer of parsley, some red onion. Left for a bit over an hour, after which the bulgar layer was at least twice as thick as when it started, and the tomato, which I thought might be too much shrank right down Definitely my future method
Not sure if it will show up in the pics

Super! I shall definitely try the method. Thanks Sue.

Catherine, I put masses of parsley in mine and will be making it a lot over the summer so we should make a plan.

I don't often make pasta salads anymore but a favourite amongst others was a mixture of cooked coquillettes (very thin mini macaroni sort of) with chopped good quality ham, sliced button mushrooms, diced celery, sweet corn, finely diced tomatoes, tiny cubes of emmental, a few finely diced spring onions and mayonnaise/season to taste.
Luca
Global Moderator

Postby KC2 » May 14th, 2018, 5:13 pm

PatsyMFagan wrote:It went very well considering that we couldn't get outside, but all piled into the house. I had a vague feeling that she would do a cous cous salad too and I wasn't wrong :td: However, mine tasted very different - very tomatoey and spicy and I thought it was delicious ... I don't think there was much left.

My friend's daughter (who sings to backing tracks) came along and/kept the party going ... We all fancied ourselves as backing singers ! ;) 8-)

The table was groaning with food - every kind of meat you could think of, including a fish parcel, blackened potatoes, lots of salad and a veggie filled pastry for the lone veggie there. 3 cheesecakes that I can recall as well as lemon posset with hm shortbread biscuits and other stuff I now can't recall.

Sounds great, Patsy - glad it all went well despite the weather. And good that your couscous salad was so different from your sister's. Did you add the dried apricots in the end?
And what are blackened potatoes?
KC2
Registered

Postby KC2 » May 14th, 2018, 5:13 pm

PatsyMFagan wrote:It went very well considering that we couldn't get outside, but all piled into the house. I had a vague feeling that she would do a cous cous salad too and I wasn't wrong :td: However, mine tasted very different - very tomatoey and spicy and I thought it was delicious ... I don't think there was much left.

Sounds great, Patsy - glad it all went well despite the weather. And good that your couscous salad was so different from your sister's. Did you add the dried apricots in the end?
And what are blackened potatoes?
KC2
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » May 14th, 2018, 5:30 pm

I stuck with the pomegranate seeds and didn't add the apricots ... Blackened potatoes ... well that's what I called them ... they were small jackets cooked on the BBQ ... blackened is the new word for charred now I think ;)
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Next

Return to The Coffee Shop