Rice/Pasta salad suggestions

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Re: Rice/Pasta salad suggestions

Postby KC2 » May 14th, 2018, 9:40 pm

PatsyMFagan wrote: ... Blackened potatoes ... well that's what I called them ... they were small jackets cooked on the BBQ ... blackened is the new word for charred now I think ;)

:lol: :lol:
KC2
Registered

Postby KC2 » May 15th, 2018, 10:46 am

StokeySue wrote:I don't know what they used do to the rice salad at Food for All on Neal Street but best I've ever had. Last time I went in they didn't have it so it may be lost and gone forever :(

Sue, do you mean Food for Thought? I used to go there lots back in the day ... I remember I used to love their (brown) rice salad but it's so long ago I can't remember what might have been in it :oops:
KC2
Registered

Postby StokeySue » May 15th, 2018, 4:24 pm

I mean Food for Thought. Food for A is a local hippy food shop, I always get the names muddled. Apart from good quality round grain brown rice probably dressed while quite warm I'm not sure either
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby uschi » May 17th, 2018, 5:28 am

I am late to the parties, but the Turkish/Kurdish ladies here make Kisir a lot. It's less refined than Ottolenghi's version, but very tasty, too.

You can fry chicken pieces dusted with some parika or avail yourself of a rotisserie chicken and use some of that.

Finely chopped spring onions or fried onions are optionaly, but not essential.
If I fry the chicken myself, then I lay the pieces aside for deconstruction and use the same pan with the drippings to make the bulgur (fine bulgur is best).
Then an equal amount of concentrated tomato puree and aci biber (a hot Turkish sauce like Ajvar (and yes, you can use hot Ajvar instead) with some lemon juice are combined. Add to the warm bulgur with a good glug of olive oil.
Then add chopped tomatoes and cucumber, plus finely shredded iceberg lettuce.
Cut the meat into fine cubes and chop flat parsley (not as much as for tabbouleh, but a good amount).
Season with pepper and serve still warm or cold.
It's a great salad to take to a picnic as there's no mayonaise in it that can go off.
uschi
Registered

Postby StokeySue » May 17th, 2018, 8:35 am

Thanks Uschi
I did wonder if aci biber might be the wow factor KC2 is missing
Like paprika it seems to come in all levels from mild to v warm
I brought back from Hungary something called Paprika Crem, paprika paste used to boost goulash. Can't get it here and I'm thinking a spoonful of mild aci biber might be the best sub.
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby KC2 » May 17th, 2018, 9:45 am

Great, I will seek out aci biber / ajvar- thx :D
I'll check out the shop I get my tahini etc https://bit.ly/2wN0dAd next time we go to the market.
(Edited for a better link!)
KC2
Registered

Postby uschi » May 17th, 2018, 10:01 am

Sue, Paprika Krem, aci biber and ajvar are variations of a theme, each slightly different, but they make good substitutes for each other.
I use any of them to add depth to my goulash, but also pumpkin soup and bolognaise type pasta sauces.
uschi
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » July 4th, 2018, 10:07 pm

OneMoreCheekyOne wrote:My favourite involves cous cous or bulghar wheat with lots of herbs, lemon juice, feta, seasoning and whatever veg/salad items we fancy.

A rice dish (served either hot or cold) which we also love with a bbq is cooked rice mixed with chopped cooked green beans (if serving hot, spring onions if serving cold), cubes of grilled halloumi, diced tomato and red onion, and some ras el hanout and ground cumin. Mint, coriander, basil and parsley are all nice additions to the dish too. Dress it with a little good quality evoo before serving.

Just bumping this up to remind myself of this rice dish as an idea of how to serve the halloumi I bought today. And some more of my mint triffid!
Imagine peace
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Kavey » July 5th, 2018, 7:36 am

I did a round up of salad ideas recently: https://www.kaveyeats.com/2018/06/picni ... alads.html
Kavey
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » July 5th, 2018, 9:05 am

That Pimm's summer salad looks very nice Kavey!
Imagine peace
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Previous

Return to The Coffee Shop