Internet / landline packages - recommendations?

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Internet / landline packages - recommendations?

Postby TeresaFoodie » May 12th, 2018, 6:36 pm

Now that I am in permanent accommodation again :bounce: I am thinking of doing what I have always done - get a package where I have broadband and a landline and where I can rely on my mobile less.

I am not necessarily interested in paying for additional TV channels as I can make do with Freeview.

At the moment my mobile with EE costs about £35 a month. Unlimited calls, texts, 5mb (or is that gb??) of data, also I have 2mb (or is that gb?) of data on a wi-fi unit through Three at £7 a month. I know that this place is set up to receive Virgin Media. I used to be with Sky. I have a satellite dish outside 'plumbed in' to the living room. I don't know whether I'll get a better deal with them for my money but just for the sake of having a landline, is it worth the grief? I have two landline handsets and two phone sockets.

Do you combine these services in one deal? Who do you use?
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Re: Internet / landline packages - recommendations?

Postby KC2 » May 12th, 2018, 7:59 pm

We use BT for landline, internet and OH has an excellent mobile deal with them for £4 a month on the back of that - but it is expensive, around £60, I think.
On the other hand if you're already paying £35 a month for EE plus the Three sub, that's some way towards it and new customers always get ace deals ...

We have unlimited landline calls - as long as you don't talk for more than 60 mins - you have to hang up and dial again if you're still nattering! But that seems to be the norm on most "unlimited" deals - friends on Virgin and TalkTalk have the same 60 min limit.

We decided to stay with BT after aforesaid friends had the absolute worst customer service you can possibly imagine from Virgin and TalkTalk.
KC2
Registered

Postby Catherine » May 12th, 2018, 8:48 pm

I would suggest you find out what is available in you area first as service providers aren't available in all areas
Catherine
Registered

Postby StokeySue » May 12th, 2018, 10:52 pm

Use a comparison website to find out what works for you, try a couple, some are easier to use than others, but I think its the best way not to overlook anything, you'll possibly have more choice if you aren't taking TV.

Obviously you'll then be able to cut back on your EE and presumably eliminate the Three WiFi. The EE package sound expensive to me, but I'm on SIM only which means no phone hire purchase included, just the actual service, I pay £7.50 a month for 1 gb data + 250 minutes talk plus unlimited texts. I've also put in £10 top up for non-included calls, I've spent 33p of this in 6 months. The big advantage of giffgaff is that it's easy to top up if you've picked too small a package (they call them goody bags) and you can have a different package every month if your needs change. I'm quite careful to use wifi for big data transfers but I do use a lot of gps which uses quite a lot of data.
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby scullion » May 13th, 2018, 12:16 am

We're on the five pound goody bag from giftgaff (free between Giffgaff users) and Plusnet for internet and landline.
Happy with both.
scullion
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » May 13th, 2018, 6:28 am

Like KC2 we are with BT, I do revise every year but stay with BT. I am sure there are better deals out there, but I hear about the hassle and don't need any more in my life at present.....
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby Suelle » May 13th, 2018, 6:47 am

I pay £26 a month for landline (unlimited calls), unlimited broadband and a TV package from Talk Talk, and have a mobile phone on a pay as you go basis, which costs less than £3 in an average month.

The TV package is only for 1 week catch-up and the internet streaming channels - my TV is only Freeview - but I find more than enough to watch when I want to.

Talk Talk doesn't have a good customer service reputation, and they messed me around when I was changing the service to my name only, but there's a good broadband speed here and the broadband rarely drops out.
Suelle
Global Moderator

Postby TeresaFoodie » May 13th, 2018, 7:07 am

Hmm, thanks for the suggestions. Talk Talk - sounds like a good deal there Sue. I have just remembered I am due a mobile upgrade in July and as the back of my handset keeps wanting to pop off I will have to at least change that, so probably my decision of whether to stick with what I've got or switch will have to coincide with that. I'll let the dust settle on this flat first (and it is!) and do my research before I do anything drastic. And with regards to TV, one thing I do miss is being able to watch things on catch up, something I would be interested in figuring in somehow.
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » May 13th, 2018, 9:30 am

Tezza - I have deleted a previous post (in case you saw it)! My son has Freeview TV but with a box which was a one off purchase and means programmes can be recorded, caught up with etc. I thought it was Wow or Now or something but having now looked both of those up it's not. Their TV is a modern one but they still felt it was beneficial so I'll try and find out what it is. How old is your TV? A lot of modern ones have things built in and you might be able to get Freeview Play. I think you have to have wifi but if you're going to have it that would be ok ... http://www.argos.co.uk/static/ArgosProm ... eeview.htm

My TV came out of the ark so I haven't any of those new fangled things :lol: .
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » May 13th, 2018, 9:58 am

Thanks for the update! I did see the post you deleted but was too busy painting a chest of drawers to research it further! My TV is is about five years old.
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » May 13th, 2018, 1:30 pm

Living where I am I am not much use but we do have (don't ask) a UK freesat+ box which enables us to record and therefore catch up on UK TV if we wish - our TV set allows us to do the same for French TV (as if anyone would want to :lol: )

I can only say it is a minefield and we have been guided by our very knowledgable electrical man who van not only sort out French TV etc. We have been less lucky with telephones and internet partly because most telephone companies here seem to be lying toads and not at all helped by the complete lack of mobile signal and an internet which is possitively homeopathic in it's delivery. Oh, and still costs a fortune.
Je pense, donc je suis. - Decartes
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby suffolk » May 13th, 2018, 1:37 pm

KC2 wrote:We decided to stay with BT after aforesaid friends had the absolute worst customer service you can possibly imagine from Virgin and TalkTalk.

We've been with Virgin abut 10 years now ... we have tv, broadband and landline with them, plus a SIM only contract for my mobile ... not a word to say against them ... really helpful on the very few occasions there's been a problem ... always keep us informed if there's going to be a reduced service due to work in the area (which doesn't happen often). Great service ... not cheap ... about £60 per month for everything, but when I felt that we weren't getting value for money a Customer Service person pared down what we were getting so we reduced what we were paying by about 25% without noticing any change in the service.
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Return to The Coffee Shop