The Royal Wedding - and food!

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

The Royal Wedding - and food!

Postby TeresaFoodie » May 14th, 2018, 3:00 pm

As we will all be aware, there are five more days until the wedding of Prince Harry and Meghan Markle. I am not a royalist but I do love a bit of pomp, ceremony and a happy wedding. I will watch on Saturday, no doubt I will cry!

Will you be doing anything special to mark the occasion other than just have it on the telly? And will special food be involved?

Food has featured for me at various occasions such as this in the past. Jubilee street parties when I was a nipper, great big long table down the middle of the road groaning under the weight of all things yummy, everyone wearing fancy dress. I was a flower girl covered in red, white and blue crepe paper flowers. Awwww! :lol: In recent years I went with my mum and oldest nephew to watch the Queen and her entourage sail down the River Thames, this was preceded by a royal themed cake off at work. My red, white and blue Victoria sandwich went down a storm (I think we discussed that occasion on WF).

On BBC1 each day this week at 3.45 pm we have Royal Recipes: Wedding Special with Michael Beurk. I'll be tuning in to that too. Looking good so far Michael. :tu:
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Re: The Royal Wedding - and food!

Postby suffolk » May 14th, 2018, 3:13 pm

We'll be away on holiday ... I suspect we'll pass the afternoon with a pint or two either outside or inside The Sloop :D If they're marking the event in any way I expect we'll join in ... if not, then we won't.
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Catherine » May 14th, 2018, 4:52 pm

Not remotely interested and could not give a monkeys. Didn't watch his brothers either....but the purley way was a delight to drive down
Catherine
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » May 14th, 2018, 4:52 pm

The village, is doing a Royal Bring Your own Picnic and bring your own meat for a BBQ, It's a family thing so I doubt we will go, too many screamers for our liking. I may even toast the happy couple with a soft drink - 5 weeks now....
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby Catherine » May 14th, 2018, 4:56 pm

Zosherooney wrote:I may even toast the happy couple with a soft drink - 5 weeks now....

:hi5:
Catherine
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » May 14th, 2018, 6:22 pm

Catherine wrote:
Zosherooney wrote:I may even toast the happy couple with a soft drink - 5 weeks now....

:hi5:

:hi5: from me too! :kneel:

Love your use of the term screamers! They can get a bit much for us non maternals I think. :lol:
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » May 14th, 2018, 6:41 pm

We do seem to have more than our fair share.......I heard one mum saying it was good for them to scream at the tops of their voices, it exercised their larynx's !!!!!! That's fine as long as ear plugs are issued locally !

Off my pedestal now...
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby Catherine » May 14th, 2018, 7:03 pm

Zosherooney wrote:We do seem to have more than our fair share.......I heard one mum saying it was good for them to scream at the tops of their voices, it exercised their larynx's !!!!!! That's fine as long as ear plugs are issued locally !

Off my pedestal now...

:lol: let's audition for the next series of grumpy old women ;)
Catherine
Registered

Postby Grasshopper » May 14th, 2018, 7:37 pm

We will be watching on the tellybob (and taping it for Mum who will be doing the food bank at our local church until 12 noon). We are also having a 'party' tea at home, with jelly, sarnies, cake and suchlike. Our knitted Royals may also be in attendance. ;)
Bring it on!
:bounce:
Grasshopper
Spring ventures forth to plant the grain
And Summer dries the straw
Autumn gathers in the harvest
And Winter shuts the door

Grasshopper
Registered

Postby StokeySue » May 14th, 2018, 7:58 pm

There has been a bit of a Twitter thing about them serving "bowl food" as well as canapés at the first reception, the one the Queen is hosting at Windsor Castle

Nobody knows what in this case bowl food consists of, but they are all sure it is wrong

Think it's unlikely to be a poke bowl (rice topped with raw fish) or a Buddha bowl (rice topped with anything uninteresting but "healthy")

I will be out most of the day running a WI stall, but will probably watch the highlights.

Cornflakes? Porridge Balmoral style? Cream of tomato soup?

As the source appears to be Haprper's Bazaar, who think the wedding occurs in St George's Cathedral (it's the chapel royal) they are probably wrong anyway
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » May 14th, 2018, 7:58 pm

Grasshopper wrote:Our knitted Royals may also be in attendance. ;)
Bring it on!
:bounce:
Grasshopper

Ooh, ooh, can we have photos please?

Enjoy the show! :tu:
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Grasshopper » May 14th, 2018, 8:02 pm

I tried doing photos before, but they all posted wrong. Besides, I don't think I have a photobucket account any more
:(
Grasshopper

Grasshopper
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » May 14th, 2018, 9:51 pm

Ah, never mind Grassy. Technology is something I steer away from when I can. I'll use my imagination! I bet the knitteds will be very happy at the gathering!
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » May 15th, 2018, 4:49 am

I congratulate anyone able to juggle bowl food and a glass at a reception in the presence of the Queen. There's a reason canapes are usually served!
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » May 15th, 2018, 5:13 am

StokeySue wrote:Think it's unlikely to be a poke bowl (rice topped with raw fish) or a Buddha bowl (rice topped with anything uninteresting but "healthy")

Thank you for explaining poke bowls, I could have Googled but it did not seem that important

Moira
When life gives you lemons, make sorbet
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby northleedsbhoy » May 15th, 2018, 6:14 am

There are far more important events on Saturday such as, FA Cup final, Scottish Cup final, IPL and Rugby League Magic weekend :lol:

Cheers
NLB :tu:
northleedsbhoy
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » May 15th, 2018, 6:24 am

northleedsbhoy wrote:There are far more important events on Saturday such as, FA Cup final, Scottish Cup final, IPL and Rugby League Magic weekend

I have always expended a lot of energy avoiding these events, for once I shall have a reasonable alternative to watch.
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby icelesley » May 15th, 2018, 6:51 am

I am sure we will have this on TV for the next however many weeks. I will not be sitting watching the wedding, the endless snapshots on the news will be more than enough. :rolleyes:
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway. Image ImageImage
icelesley
Registered

Postby scullion » May 15th, 2018, 7:09 am

As they didn't consult us as to our holiday plans they have timetabled it while we are away and without tv - we are quite pleased - the indigenous population may be more interested than we are.
scullion
Registered

Postby Suelle » May 15th, 2018, 7:32 am

icelesley wrote:I am sure we will have this on TV for the next however many weeks. I will not be sitting watching the wedding, the endless snapshots on the news will be more than enough. :rolleyes:

My thoughts exactly! :)
Suelle
Global Moderator

Postby TeresaFoodie » May 15th, 2018, 7:52 am

northleedsbhoy wrote:There are far more important events on Saturday such as, FA Cup final, Scottish Cup final, IPL and Rugby League Magic weekend :lol:

Cheers
NLB :tu:

What a terrible Man Utd fan I am! I had completely forgotten about the FA Cup final. Well, that changes things drastically! :grin:
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » May 15th, 2018, 8:03 am

I'm with you Ice ! :tu:
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby icelesley » May 15th, 2018, 8:12 am

If I hear one more time Megan's Father is - isn't - is - isn't- is coming I will scream. Now they are saying send Harry in his private plane to bring him over :rolleyes: Saves the cost of an airfare I suppose, or am I being cynical :D Hopefully he and the rest of the family will disappear back into obscurity before they become a liability, we all can guess what happens to royal liabilities ;)
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway. Image ImageImage
icelesley
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » May 15th, 2018, 9:03 am

I am glad I am not the only one who feels like that ice. The whole thing is starting to make me feel this marriage is not the best thing that could happen to our royal family. This should be about a happy couple wanting to spend the rest of their lives together, nothing more, nothing less. The Markles seem to be trying to take over. Her sister was on TV earlier spreading the muck about her. The word dysfunctional comes to mind.
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby StokeySue » May 15th, 2018, 9:07 am

Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Seatallan » May 15th, 2018, 9:12 am

TeresaFoodie wrote:The whole thing is starting to make me feel this marriage is not the best thing that could happen to our royal family. This should be about a happy couple wanting to spend the rest of their lives together, nothing more, nothing less. The Markles seem to be trying to take over. Her sister was on TV earlier spreading the muck about her. The word dysfunctional comes to mind.

Actually, a wedding without at least one member of the family behaving badly is no fun whatsoever in my opinion. :D
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby Seatallan » May 15th, 2018, 9:14 am

The ex MIL of my dear, departed friend had a proper fight with her eldest son's ex wife at the wedding breakfast. Handbags and hair pulling and everything. Now that I would love to have witnessed.
Seatallan
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » May 15th, 2018, 9:29 am

:lol: My uncle usually acts up at weddings including his own, mine and my sister's! :lol: The best was at my sister's. She was marrying into a very prim and proper military family and the wedding took place at a prestigious location (name escapes me). After a few :cocktail: my family (we are all down to Earth people, no airs and graces) were getting thoroughly fed up with the showing off of his family. Things like comparing their contribution to the champagne table with the low cost cheapness we'd bought along. My uncle gave my sister away as my dad wasn't on the scene back then. His speech was cringe worthy but hilarious. We kept hearing comments such as 'oh, what a marvelous 'do'!' So me and my partner were walking around saying to people in a posh voice 'excuse me, do you do many 'do's?' And messing about wondering how else we could start a conversation with a toff, instead of going up to someone saying 'Ere mate, pull my finger' :lol: we were saying 'excuse me old bean, would you be so kind as to pull on my pinky?' Yes, it was very childish but it was the only way we, sister included, could all get through it without one of us bopping someone on the nose. The marriage didn't last but they had my eldest nephew before it went pear shaped. :luv:
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » May 15th, 2018, 9:34 am

Seatallan wrote:The ex MIL of my dear, departed friend had a proper fight with her eldest son's ex wife at the wedding breakfast. Handbags and hair pulling and everything. Now that I would love to have witnessed.

My uncle had a proper fight with my new husband at my wedding reception. :lol: Afterwards nobody could remember what it was about! And my new SIL almost had her eye removed by a flying champagne cork and spent most of the day at A&E with her partner who was our photographer, so no photos! She was forever afterwards known as 'Cork Eye'. :lol: Hilarious! Funny but my marriage didn't last long either!
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Grasshopper » May 15th, 2018, 8:15 pm

TeresaFoodie wrote:instead of going up to someone saying 'Ere mate, pull my finger' we were saying 'excuse me old bean, would you be so kind as to pull on my pinky?

:lol:
Grasshopper

Grasshopper
Registered

Postby karadekoolaid » May 16th, 2018, 1:48 am

I´m just hoping to see Fergie gatecrash the reception with a bottle of Juve & Camps in one hand and a fag in the other. :shock:
I´m also wondering whether there will be any "Smokin´hot Buffalo Wings", which will undoubtedly cause frissons of panic among the Royal Set, who are convinced that buffaloes do NOT have wings :scared: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
" Bite off more than you can chew, then chew like Hell!"
karadekoolaid
Registered

Postby StokeySue » May 16th, 2018, 8:20 am

I had to look up Juve and Camps. Freixenet better known here perhaps (you get some interesting pronounciations of course). I've heard TV presenters who haven't done their homework pronounce Xavier as Ex-av-ee-err instead of Zav-ee-er

Perhaps they will have one of those little wagons with chilled prosecco on tap?
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Seatallan » May 16th, 2018, 11:34 am

karadekoolaid wrote:I´m just hoping to see Fergie gatecrash the reception with a bottle of Juve & Camps in one hand and a fag in the other. :shock:

Oh please....Oh please..... :D
Seatallan
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » May 16th, 2018, 3:37 pm

I abhor bad behaviour at weddings and am sick of the horrible intrusion into things that are none of our business regarding the forthcoming nuptials. Bet they wish they'd just eloped. As for food whilst watching telly - some nice lunchtime canapes, elegant sandwiches and cake I think. It's a it early for proper British strawberries but they'd be nice .... not interested in champers so you can keep that. I'll be at work anyway.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Suelle » May 16th, 2018, 3:59 pm

It'll be a long day if anyone is determined to watch it all. BBC coverage starts at 9am and goes on until 2pm. ITV starts later but goes on until 3pm.

There's going to be a lot of vapid wittering from the presenters to fill in the time when nothing is happening. :lol:
Suelle
Global Moderator

Postby mogatogs » May 16th, 2018, 4:06 pm

To Harry and Meghan, I hope you have a fantastic day, please enjoy and ignore all the negativity IT is YOUR day x x :hug: :hug:

Sorry folks you really are very difficult to understand, like others I give up :rolleyes:

Apparently decorating is far more important :twisted:

Good bye
mogatogs
Registered

Postby beldubby » May 16th, 2018, 4:26 pm

To me that's the whole point. It's their day, I hope they both enjoy it and the rest of their lives together. I object to the rest of us having it rammed down our throats at every opportunity.
beldubby
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » May 16th, 2018, 6:39 pm

Oh, no need to apologise mogatogs. :wave:

Now, where's my wallpaper scraper? :grin: :tu:
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby WWordsworth » May 16th, 2018, 7:07 pm

I'm a bit late to the party but I will record the event as I will be on the M40 when it all happens.
Heading to SFH's house actually.
I don't really want to go but it's my first invitation in 8 years and I fear our relationship would be even worse if I declined. :rolleyes:

I will watch the event because I love the ceremony and the pageantry but I will zap through the waffly bits.
WWordsworth
Registered

Postby Catherine » May 16th, 2018, 7:14 pm

beldubby wrote:To me that's the whole point. It's their day, I hope they both enjoy it and the rest of their lives together. I object to the rest of us having it rammed down our throats at every opportunity.

Exactly my views. I wish them well as I would any newlyweds but that's as far as it goes. The royal family are no different to any other family
Catherine
Registered

Postby karadekoolaid » May 17th, 2018, 1:45 am

mogatogs wrote:To Harry and Meghan, I hope you have a fantastic day, please enjoy and ignore all the negativity IT is YOUR day x x :hug: :hug:

Dead right, mogatogs - it´s THEIR day, and I only hope they will enjoy it to the full!

( I also hope the paparazzi are run over by a steamroller :terrified: )
" Bite off more than you can chew, then chew like Hell!"
karadekoolaid
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » May 17th, 2018, 5:20 am

Will the same people complain when we are overwhelmed by the football world cup in a couple of weeks time. If memory serves correctly it drags on longer than the Olympics.

Moira
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby beldubby » May 17th, 2018, 6:19 am

Too right I will - can't decide which is more boring - football or the Royal Family!
beldubby
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » May 17th, 2018, 6:21 am

Football.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » May 17th, 2018, 6:28 am

World cup 14th June, four weeks usually. :bounce: Wimbledon half way through for two. :bounce: Lovely!
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby hickybank » May 17th, 2018, 7:31 am

I will be as far away from a television as I can get, a pub with the cup final on sounds good though
And how many days after the wedding will it be rammed down our throats as well :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Common sense is not so common
A brain is as strong as it's weakest think
hickybank
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » May 17th, 2018, 8:13 am

.... probably not as many as football and Wimbledon! Sport should stay on sport channels (and royal weddings handled by the media with dignity!).
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » May 17th, 2018, 8:23 am

TeresaFoodie wrote:World cup 14th June, four weeks usually. Wimbledon half way through for two. Lovely!

My idea of hell :evil:

Moira
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby StokeySue » May 17th, 2018, 8:42 am

I like Wimbledon !
Just realised I'm going to be in Italy during the World Cup :terrified:

I'm a bit surprised just how much excitement this Royal Wedding is generating, but I suppose that's the social media and the US celebrity effect of Meghan.
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » May 17th, 2018, 9:23 am

Seatallan wrote:
karadekoolaid wrote:I´m just hoping to see Fergie gatecrash the reception with a bottle of Juve & Camps in one hand and a fag in the other. :shock:

Oh please....Oh please..... :D

Did anyone watch the spoof Windsor Wedding on channel 4 (maybe ch5?) a couple of nights ago ? Harry Enfield's 'Prince Charles' is priceless ..
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Next

Return to The Coffee Shop