Size of food receptacles

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Size of food receptacles

Postby Zosherooney » June 8th, 2018, 8:09 am

Since being T2D diagnosed and trying to be a bit more careful over portion sizes, I have been serving my food up on smaller plates, with a view to making loosing weight a bit easier and fooling my brain! It seems to be working, I have some medium side plates which I give to myself. Mr. Z. gets the normal dinner plates.

I have a mixed selection of different sized and shaped crockery from many years gone by and these are used on a normal daily basis for us two. I have a set of large oval dinner plates in the garage which were around while I was a teenager at home. They are HUGE and I can remember when we were all together Mum used to fill them with food and we all used to finish everything. We were not allowed to leave food. When I compare, I have less than half these days..... I know one tends to eat less when one gets older but just wondered how everyone else does portion sizes ?
Zosherooney
Registered

Re: Size of food receptacles

Postby PatsyMFagan » June 8th, 2018, 8:33 am

I know I eat well ... (having caught up with 'The Truth about Carbs' it didn't tell me anything I didn't already know) ... however, I do have a very healthy (large ;) :?: ) appetite so I am sure my portions are just too big. Also, when you are cooking for one it's now always easy to keep portions smaller and I know I can always cook double and freeze half ;) :tu:
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby Meganthemog » June 8th, 2018, 8:34 am

I don't like seeing a pile of food on my plate - it just puts me off eating it. I use a small dinner plate for our main meals and find this more than enough. OH has cut down on his intake over the last year as he was finding he was feeling overfull. We've cut down on our carbs and upped the salad/veggies.
I agree that you need less as you get older - I used to eat a lot more but now struggle to eat 3 times a day.
Meganthemog
Registered

Postby dennispc » June 8th, 2018, 8:57 am

Certainly smaller plates but also using less of everything; if a rice recipe suggests 120g we cut that down, now almost by half.

Certainly we both eat less now and I often go without breakfast.

In 'Truth about Carbs' the quantity of food shown for the average size healthy breakfast, cereal, toast etc., we'd consider our main meal! Useful programme for anyone with diabetes.
Every day is a good day, it's just that some days are better than others.
dennispc
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » June 8th, 2018, 9:23 am

I have a few dinner plates from childhood. They are much smaller than many of those sold today. I can remember the amounts mother brought me up to buy/serve per person and it was far less than most people have today. In the interim period, in the late '70's I think, plates such as the large oval ones came into fashion and the advent of vast pub meals too. I think that's when people started eating more, though MIL, who I first met in 1972, always piled plates high on Sundays. I had never seen so much food served on a plate before that. It's the same with wine glasses!
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby suffolk » June 8th, 2018, 9:29 am

Didn't the large oval ones used to be called 'steak plates'?
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » June 8th, 2018, 9:39 am

We used to call our large oval plates in the seventies steak plates. I still have one from a very old set of my mum's but I never eat that much food in one sitting so it doesn't get used. I use small bowls and plates generally unless I am feeding others. A very good way to control portion size I find. The over-filled steak plates of my youth are definitely something I would rather forget!
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby StokeySue » June 8th, 2018, 11:09 am

suffolk wrote:Didn't the large oval ones used to be called 'steak plates'?

Yes, that's what they used to be called in the Nisbet's catalogue

I notice that although most dinner plates are 12 inch diameter (or 10 if small) and have been for a long time, the tendency is to have less or no rim. My dinner plates have a broad, patterned, rim and you really can't get too much food onto the white disc in the centre without it looking like a dog's breakfast as it spills onto the pattern. I also have a few plain white 12" plates without borders, I use them for serving, or when doing fancy plating with a lot of the white intentionally showing

My problem with portions is cooking for one. If I cook e.g. a whole large potato, I tend to put it all on the plate, and once it is on the plate, I do tend to eat it. I too was born in the last throes of rationing and so was brought up to eat everything on my plate, and when cooking for one the leftovers are usually a bit pathetic, a tablespoon of mash lurking in a small Tupperware box is a sad thing, because even sealed it goes iffy, and it's not really much use to start with
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » June 8th, 2018, 12:36 pm

I do not have a big appetite and my absolute horror is pile of food covering a plate. I'm all for large plates with a moderate amount of nicely presented food thereon. I don't think that just having a meal on a smaller plate, just in order to look as if it is piled high is logical.
Je pense, donc je suis. - Decartes
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » June 8th, 2018, 2:12 pm

Our everyday plates have always seemed relatively small to us, and we regretted not buying larger versions. About 25cm (?) including a 1 inch rim. But I guess that's not especially small. We have some much bigger ones for 'entertaining' (Ha not done that for years!) which are probably technically chargers.

However I have to say, if I can, I usually eat out of a bowl. Usually a Cornishware 'breakfast bowl', but sometimes a shallower pasta plate/bowl. This works for most of the food I eat, which can be consumed with one article of cutlery.

I don't think I eat a lot really, usually. I would never fill the plate or bowl. Of course, husband usually goes for seconds... I am not very good at gauging how much I have eaten though which is why I feel slightly uncomfortable with buffets and sharing meals - I usually tend to under eat rather than over eat though. I prefer to see what I am going to eat in front of me on a plate/in a dish.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby miss mouse » June 9th, 2018, 5:51 pm

Ratatouille wrote: I'm all for large plates with a moderate amount of nicely presented food thereon.

That's what I do although my presentation skills are not very good however hard I try.
miss mouse
Registered

Postby Catherine » June 9th, 2018, 6:53 pm

You can fit a ready meal on a side plate which tells you everything. It has been well known that the size of dinner plates have got bigger so without realising it people are filling their bigger plates and eating the lot where as a smaller plate will fill them equally as well.
Catherine
Registered

Postby miss mouse » June 9th, 2018, 7:16 pm

No. Too simplistic. I hate an over-filled plate and am perfectly happy to have three peas, one small potato and a tinned sardine on a giant plate if that is what is offered.

Big Food and the processing has much to answer for.
miss mouse
Registered

Postby Catherine » June 9th, 2018, 7:57 pm

miss mouse wrote:No. Too simplistic. I hate an over-filled plate and am perfectly happy to have three peas, one small potato and a tinned sardine on a giant plate if that is what is offered.

Big Food and the processing has much to answer for.

And you get these ridiculous Man V Food type programs which leave me cold. I can't stand them on so many levels.
Catherine
Registered

Postby miss mouse » June 9th, 2018, 8:20 pm

I don't watch much telly so miss those delights.This is not a po-faced comment re telly, I just don't, I cannot bear it shouting at me all the time. I have seen one or two in part, not my thing, I tend to gaze in wonder and ask 'Why?'.

Processed food North American style has a lot to answer for.

If small plates work for you then do that. Mine happen to be large (27cm including rim) and I like them.
miss mouse
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » June 10th, 2018, 2:41 pm

At lunch today, in a restaurant we had a beautifully present rabbit rillettes on a very attractive but quite large plate. It was not nearly covered but, to me it looked perfect. 3 quenelles of rabit with micro herbs and little supporting triangles of spelt toast and a smallish heap of delicious mustard leaves with a tangy dressing.
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby Luca » June 10th, 2018, 3:03 pm

Ratatouille wrote:At lunch today, in a restaurant we had a beautifully present rabbit rillettes on a very attractive but quite large plate. It was not nearly covered but, to me it looked perfect. 3 quenelles of rabit with micro herbs and little supporting triangles of spelt toast and a smallish heap of delicious mustard leaves with a tangy dressing.

How delicious! Exactly as I'd like it.

I have recently had to take some action regarding eating or the lack thereof and tried various options to increase the amount I eat during the week. I've put small portions on both big and small plates and have come to the conclusion that for me the thing that puts me off most are covered plates. I don't mind the size of the plate but the food should be realistic and not over served

If in a restaurant, I'm happy to leave anything uneaten, often having to explain that I have a small appetite. If at a dinner party I explain briefly that I can't eat much at one time and if they over serve me I'll leave it.

Zosh - really impressed with all the steps you are taking. You must be feeling pretty good! :mug:
Luca
Global Moderator

Postby patpoyntz » June 10th, 2018, 3:22 pm

I rarely ‘plate’ main course meals. For family and friends it is very informal in this house, and people help themselves from dishes on the table, so they can take as much or as little as they wish. If I am doing individual things like chicken joints or chops for instance, then I would serve them and still leave all the veg or any accompaniments on the table. And everyone can help themselves to seconds too! It seems to be very popular anyway, there’s always a lot of fun and laughter. The
patpoyntz
Registered

Postby StokeySue » June 10th, 2018, 5:18 pm

I serve the same way patpyntz, but starters, especially cold ones, lend themselves to a bit of artistry I find

I also have some nice, completely plain, white porcelain padta bowls from Sainsbury's, in which I often assemble a lunch time salaf
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby patpoyntz » June 10th, 2018, 6:52 pm

Yes SS, I usually do cold starters in a more formal fashion, arranged on a plate...but I have to say that is mainly for ease on the day, rather than for artistic reasons.
patpoyntz
Registered

Postby uschi » June 11th, 2018, 2:19 pm

For me smaller plates do the trick. I lost a lot of weight (16 kilos) and am keen to keep the weight off. So far I have managed to eat a bit more consciously.
No, I don't starve myself, but I plate myself smaller portions and think about whether I really want more once I have finished. Usually I find that I don't and so it seems to work.
uschi
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » June 11th, 2018, 3:17 pm

That's brilliant Uschi ! Well done, it works for me too.

Thanks Luca, I am feeling a tad smug 8-)
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby StokeySue » June 11th, 2018, 4:55 pm

:hi5: :hi5: :hi5: :hi5:
Well done ib the weight loss Zosh and Uschi, I could do with losing some, haven't even dared to weigh myself, though these summer capris seem to be loser than they were last year - they comfortably cover my rear, which they didn't at one point :lol:
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby uschi » June 11th, 2018, 5:00 pm

Thank you Sue and Zosh! And congratulations to your weight loss, too!

At the moment I am indulging in drinking buttermilk mixed with some (unsweetened) bought smoothie. It's welcome in the heat and it is not too calorific.
uschi
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » June 12th, 2018, 7:54 am

StokeySue wrote::hi5: :hi5: :hi5: :hi5:
Well done ib the weight loss Zosh and Uschi, I could do with losing some, haven't even dared to weigh myself, though these summer capris seem to be loser than they were last year - they comfortably cover my rear, which they didn't at one point :lol:

Sue have you read "Why French Women don't get Fat" ? Not of course absolutely true these days but one thing that was confirmed by my very elegant friend Marie-France. She never ever weighed herself but when her waistband got tight she ate less.
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby StokeySue » June 12th, 2018, 8:29 am

I did read the book, I found it rather irritating in places (not least her refusal to understand any form of nutrition or biology) but I have to say all the cousins I observed staying thin were faddy about diet to do it, essentially low carbing, and the one known behind her back as the Barbie doll was a disciple of Dr Dukan
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » June 12th, 2018, 8:40 am

SuMarie F#s main way of staying thin was smoking more ! She died of cancer :cry:
Ratatouille
Registered

Return to The Coffee Shop