Chatterbox LXXXII - Saoirse

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Re: Chatterbox LXXXII - Saoirse

Postby cyprusmoira » August 10th, 2018, 11:55 am

liketocook wrote:Moira - I use a square ceramic roaster that's 23cm x 23cm. I'm using brown rice as that's what I have in which I'll par cook first. You can use fully cooked rice in which case squeeze excess water out of the courgettes. I make it with feta cheese

Got that that, thanks. I will use feta as that is what the local ladies would use.

Moira
When life gives you lemons, make sorbet
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby liketocook » August 10th, 2018, 12:05 pm

:tu:
Hope you enjoy :D
liketocook
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » August 10th, 2018, 12:15 pm

We have been officially deemed "sinistre". Which I suppose in English would be a disaster area. It also means that our insurance must pay out without excess. Now all we need to do is find a builder who is working this month and contact our insurance agent who is en vacance.
Je pense, donc je suis. - Decartes
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » August 10th, 2018, 1:02 pm

Rats :hug:

I hope you find a solution sooner rather than later.

On the bus into town this lunchtime, still absolutely hacking it down, people on the bus were moaning saying things like 'Enough is enough!' You just can't please some folk! :rolleyes:
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby StokeySue » August 10th, 2018, 2:02 pm

Hello
Mogs :hug: :hug:

Oh dear Rats! I am trying resist the temptation to say It never rains but it pours... failed miserably

We got all but washed away on the camp site in Ephesus one September when there was a massive storm. It never rains in Ephesus in September :o

Went off House of Fraser when they ruined Dickens and Jones on Regent Street. But all the Oxford Street Departmentvstores too are tacky, Selfridges and John Lewis a bit better

Have a good afternoon
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby StokeySue » August 10th, 2018, 3:17 pm

Hey Suffolk
A man has been charged with taking an untethered pig into Norwich city centre

Apparently the accompanying dog bit the Police officer

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/man-charged-untethered-pig-norwich-city-centre-norfolk-police-thomas-murphy-hankin-a8484961.html%3famp
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Chinchilla_lady » August 10th, 2018, 4:15 pm

Afternoon All

Sue, that has been one of the leading stories on Look East, personally I feel sorry for the porker having to walk down Prince of Wales Road, its the main walk from the station into the City, lots of nightclubs down there, the pavements first thing in the morning are quite revolting. :sprout:

Addicted to White Cats
Chinchilla_lady
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » August 10th, 2018, 5:23 pm

Poor animal. Lucky he wasn't there nearly 60 years ago, there was a Chinese restaurant there which was had up for serving pet food. They'd have had a banquet!

Don't think I need to water the garden tonight ......
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby dennispc » August 10th, 2018, 8:25 pm

mogatogs wrote:Apparently we are rather negative towards the NHS ! I served 30 years in the system and I am appalled by the lack of care - rant over :)

Sorry to hear about your OH; our recent experience is the exact opposite - care beyond belief.
Every day is a good day, it's just that some days are better than others.
dennispc
Registered

Postby Amber » August 10th, 2018, 9:01 pm

I remember shopping in Kendal Milnes (sp?) (H of F, Mcr) when I was pregnant in the 80s. It was very nice, but as far as I remember, on the sixth floor, and the escalators were right at the back of the shop. Not long I think before the IRA bomb.
Amber
Registered

Postby suffolk » August 10th, 2018, 9:39 pm

Night night all ... Zzzzzzzzzz
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » August 11th, 2018, 5:39 am

Morning all, Nothing but great service here from the NHS.

Rats, sorry to hear about your weather problems, hope you get it sorted soon.

I have saved the courgette and rice recipe for another time, looks tasty.

Mr. Z did not get in till after 11pm as I turned my light out then and he was not home. He will be glad not to be working today.

Chippie chappy started laying the floor in the Hobbit House yesterday, it's looking good but it will be only just enough product to finish the job by the looks of it.

We have some rain to come over the next couple of days, save me watering the garden.

I assembled holiday clothes yesterday evening, looks like the sale rail on my upstairs landing !
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » August 11th, 2018, 5:45 am

Good Morning Wild Ones, I hope that you have your hot weather clothes, Zosh.
Not a breathe of wind here, I thought that there was but it turned to be sparrows bouncing around the big oleander

Moira :mug:
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » August 11th, 2018, 6:29 am

Morning all! A glorious day is dawning. All week the forecast has said it would be raining today but now it says it will be fine :?.

DD is coming up today and taking GD swimming with DS. I would have gone too but having only just recovered think not. We'll be doing something later and DD is staying overnight. Just a little bit of cleaning required. Noticeable that the house has stayed clean and tidy because I've just spent most of the week sitting down doing very little. The windows could do with a good clean though :oops:.

Sounds very warm there Moira. It's 20 degrees in my sitting room, the lowest I have seen it since May.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby suffolk » August 11th, 2018, 6:40 am

Good morning all :D :mug:
Blue sky sunshine and a light breeze here ... no idea what the temperature is ... my phone says 11C but it feels warmer than that and dog walkers are wearing teeshirts..
OH says he’s making supper today ... he’s planning a curry involving courgettes ...
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Busybee » August 11th, 2018, 7:26 am

We were cold last night........the forecast was that the temp would drop to 8 degrees overnight. The house felt freezing up stairs when I went to bed so I closed all the windows, cue opening them at 2am because I was hot. OH says that he felt cold.....oops!

Our central heating came on this morning.

You can certainly see the season changing, some horsecheshnut trees are turning brown, these particular ones are the first to turn every year, but others are catching up. Lots of leaves down but I think that’s more down to lack of water.

BB
Busybee
Registered

Postby icelesley » August 11th, 2018, 7:46 am

Good morning wild ones. The Sun is out, but it is a bit cooler. we had heavy rain yesterday afternoon, then the sun came out again and quickly dried everything up. This morning we had no hot water, the boiler decided to drop pressure, but it's ok now, OH fixed it. British gas said it wasn't classed as a priority call so booked it in for Tomorrow afternoon :o I called back and cancelled the call as we fixed it ourselves. I am waiting for a call now to give feedback, boy oh boy they will get both barrels ;)
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway. Image ImageImage
icelesley
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » August 11th, 2018, 8:43 am

Morning all,

A chilly night here and a comforting one getting snuggled underneath my throw. Delightful. I'm off into town after breakfast for some interview clothes courtesy of my dad who sent me some funds last night. I may also browse the library and our little market before making my way home. Perfect weather out there for it. Sunny but cool. Lovely. :tu:
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » August 11th, 2018, 8:50 am

Busybee wrote:You can certainly see the season changing, some horsecheshnut trees are turning brown, these particular ones are the first to turn every year, but others are catching up. Lots of leaves down but I think that’s more down to lack of water.

This could be due to the pest (rather than virus) that causes horsechestnut trees to turn brown and drop their leaves unseasonably early .. we have lots of it round here … sad to see :(
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » August 11th, 2018, 9:31 am

Deb has been down to Petz Stuff to buy dog biscuit, she says that the shop was full of cats sheltering from the heat, Shirley is a very kind person. BTW, I swear that Lulu Pug has a better assortment of biscuits than us :rolleyes:

Moira
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » August 11th, 2018, 9:45 am

Are they 'artisan' biscuits Moira? Some of the posh dog snacks at farmer's markets etc look very good (and more expensive than many families could afford for their children!).

Apparently DS has promised GD that they will go to Pizza Hut after swimming so that's lunch sorted. Not what I was hoping for, haven't been there since circa 1999!
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » August 11th, 2018, 9:51 am

Morning everyone :wave:

We had a lovely meal last night in a little bistro at the top of the hill in a nearby village. They have a terrace which looks right across the valley to the luberon mountains, The family was enchanted, especially as they do good simple things like pasta, burgers and pizzas not to mention grills and , apparently, very good steak tartare. They also do really retro desserts, like cafe liegeoise and Mont Blanc. They also do man/teenage sized portions :lol: :lol: It was a super evening , clear anf anything with a much cooler breeze.

DD had to leave at 4.30 this morning to get the friend who has been staying with them to the airport for a very early flight.

GS and I are all geared up, at least he says we are, to watch the Newcastle match this afternoon. The rest of them are all :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: at the thought of the new season.

I've got fresh wild sea bream to cook whole on the bbq tonight. It looks as if the fine cooler weather will be with us until Monday when more storms are forecast
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby StokeySue » August 11th, 2018, 9:52 am

Good morning
We have sun and breeze too
Little fluffy white clouds too

Got very little done again yesterday, pottered on steadily but still the lingering remnants of the lurgy
Need to have a gently productive day today and go to bed early as I’m off to Worcester on the first train in the morning. First time I’ve been there in about 50 years but I won’t see much as I’m playing backgammon all day in the UK club championship - I’m not really A team standard but someone dropped out. Worrying about what to wear as I have to wear floral (it’s a joke team uniform :rolleyes: ) but it seems I don’t do floral - most of my patterned clothes turn out to be leaf or bird designs, but the best choice is a bit garden party and the forecast threatens rain

On the subject of first trains - shocked how late they are. First train Paddington to Great Malvern, 8am. OK but a bit later than I expected. Easiest way of getting to Paddington is to start with the local train from Liverpool Street to Enfield. First train on a Sunday stops here at 7.43 which seems bizarrely late

Have a good day
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » August 11th, 2018, 12:54 pm

earthmaiden wrote:Are they 'artisan' biscuits Moira
No, they are commercially manufactured biscuits, they are stored in bins so you can make up your own mixture. There was a time when we could only get Markies, then they became difficult to obtain, we were getting "under the counter" Markies, only available to regular customers :o
Meanwhile the latest Lakeland catalogue has arrived, Hurrah :bounce: I know that I get regular e mail communications from them but it is not the same.

Moira
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » August 11th, 2018, 12:58 pm

I've asked Lakeland to stop sending catalogues, especially as they are wrapped in plastic but will they do it???
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby StokeySue » August 11th, 2018, 1:52 pm

I am half convinced that because of GDPR restrictions on email contact, some of the b-s are sending more paper catalogues, it really should be as easy to unsubscribe as from email, But it is not. I literally had to shout at Damart in the end. It's so much easier for me to see on screen and I like Search functions! (Other than Amazon, I've taken to Tweeting them screenshots of their more idiotic search results)

In other news..... UKTV stations are back on Virgin Media :bounce: , The Freeview channels are up already, the others to follow very soon
What a stupid thing that was. Has doubtless cost Virgin money, so they will pass on the cost.
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby suffolk » August 11th, 2018, 2:50 pm

StokeySue wrote: ....In other news..... UKTV stations are back on Virgin Media :bounce: , The Freeview channels are up already, the others to follow very soon
What a stupid thing that was. Has doubtless cost Virgin money, so they will pass on the cost.

:hi5:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby suffolk » August 11th, 2018, 2:51 pm

StokeySue wrote: ....In other news..... UKTV stations are back on Virgin Media :bounce: , The Freeview channels are up already, the others to follow very soon

:hi5:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » August 11th, 2018, 4:46 pm

Good news about Virgin media! :hi5: Not that it affects me, but excellent for those that it does.

I've returned from town with a good haul from local charity shops. A very smart shirt which could be worn done up or as an over shirt with a nice top underneath, £3. A very cool white linen top, sort of short and wide with bat wings and short sleeves, £3. I almost picked up a VW campervan canvas print. At £2.50 I am wondering why I resisted. I might go back for it on Monday if I can remember which shop I saw it in. A new bra courtesy of Asda. I packet of Ibuprofen in case trying the bra on proves painful. :lol: I also fancied getting some snacks for my cupboard as I had run out, so sweet popcorn was had whilst in Asda, then in Iceland I bought Wheat Crunchies forgetting I'd bought the popcorn. That was a bit of an oops moment!

Sitting here after lunch and a real wind blew up outside and I have had to put long jogging bottoms and thick socks on and close the window over. Funny how in town earlier I was dripping with sweat, as was the cashier in Age UK even with their air con on.

An uneventful evening planned, not much on TV, so I think my birthday Sudoku books might get a hammering! Frustratingly though I just cannot get my head round some of the alternative Puzzler Sudokus, such as the one where you have to 'build' bridges. :rolleyes: Any tips on that one?
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » August 11th, 2018, 5:36 pm

Mr. Z put my socks on (me) I could not move at Wuzzle was on my lap....
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby aero280 » August 12th, 2018, 12:19 am

I bought a Freeview Box in Tesco and reinstalled the wire to the aerial. I'm going to dump Virgin. \

A Manhattan box from Tesco was £35. And it giveds me the HD channels which I wasn't paying for on Virgin.
http://www.saabtechtalk.com/
aero280
Site Admin

Postby cyprusmoira » August 12th, 2018, 6:38 am

Good Morning Wild Ones, trouble getting on the internet again. Another hot day here.

moira :mug:
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby suffolk » August 12th, 2018, 6:57 am

We’ve had showers overnight but it’s dry at the moment ... however we are promised more rain later. OH is making my second :mug:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby icelesley » August 12th, 2018, 7:36 am

Good morning wild ones. We had rain in the night, it looks a bit like more to come at the moment. The plants are loving it, I can almost hear them laughing with glee. :D
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway. Image ImageImage
icelesley
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » August 12th, 2018, 7:47 am

Morning all! Lovely day with the family yesterday, we've overslept this morning but no plans so it doesn't matter. There are lots of raindrops on the window.

Aero, I will be interested to see where you end up with Virgin if you plan to continue with broadband and possibly landline. I (and others I know) have recently gone through all that and found it cheaper to keep the TV option even if you don't use it! They wanted to charge me £20 more without TV option! I've heard similar stories from other companies, the whole thing is ludicrous and unfair. Anyway, DS set up my new Virgin box yesterday - now I can choose between that and Freeview (because I had an aerial installed recently). Such luxury! The big thing is to re member to go back and haggle with Virgin when the year is up :evil:.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » August 12th, 2018, 8:37 am

Morning all.

Very muggy here and no plans for me so will just chill and job search..

Happy Sunday all!
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby WWordsworth » August 12th, 2018, 8:44 am

We have friends staying.
They haven't surfaced yet, which is not like them.
I might have to make a bit of noise to check they are OK.
WWordsworth
Registered

Postby suffolk » August 12th, 2018, 9:16 am

WW perhaps you've been so quiet that they think you're not up yet ... :lol:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » August 12th, 2018, 9:35 am

Morning everyone :wave:

Another lovely day for the family's last day here. They left for the St Sat pool about half and hour ago. However we have sewere storms promised for tomorrow - just the thing for autoroute driving

Everyone enjoyed the bbq sea bream, last night. I stuffed them with fresh frennel fronds and lemon slices and drizzzled them with olive oil.and cooked them on branches of rosemary, dried fennel and a branch of bay.

Tonight there is a request for sausages including merguez, Provencal and Mr R wants an andouilette
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby WWordsworth » August 12th, 2018, 10:11 am

All is well with our guests.
As I was typing the previous post I heard someone turn the shower on (Mr Guest) then Mrs Guest appeared, in search of coffee.
Happy to oblige.
WWordsworth
Registered

Postby liketocook » August 12th, 2018, 10:36 am

Good morning everyone,
It's chucking it down here and I wouldn't be surprised if we got thunder.
Younger son has headed back to Newcastle armed with a big bag of veg from the garden. :)
My sister is popping by for a cuppa & a catch up this afternoon but apart from that I'm for a quiet day.
I'm glad the UKTV channels are back on Virgin, I don't watch telly but when I do it tends to be them. Like EM I was cheaper to keep the TV in my package rather than just buy phone/broadband. In my area they definitely have the best broadband so it's not worth swapping to another provider as I like a reliable connection (it'll probably go down now :lol: )
liketocook
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » August 12th, 2018, 10:43 am

Oooh oooh Oooh, excitement of my day. I enquired on Freecycle about a roller blind which would fit my kitchen window perfectly. Eager to get shot of it, the lady is dropping it off in an hour. I should also be getting some bookcases Tuesday. This place is taking shape....very gradually! :bounce:
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby suffolk » August 12th, 2018, 11:04 am

I think gently does it is good Tezza :tu: it's always good to find how a home works best for you before filling it up with things you end up discovering that you don't need, leaving you with no room for the things that you do need :D
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » August 12th, 2018, 11:12 am

Wise words suffs! I remembered the other day that a few weeks back I found three rocking chairs going begging. Always wanted one, I was thinking of getting all three, doing them up, maybe selling two. Thank God someone else beat me to It. I'd have been tripping over them during the heatwave where decorating was on hold. Could have put me off rocking chairs for life! :lol:
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby patpoyntz » August 12th, 2018, 11:22 am

After the excitement of our family wedding last weekend, and friends and relatives staying for half the week before and after, we are enjoying a very chilled day.
The young marrieds are coming over for dinner and to talk about the wedding and look at photographs.
I usually do a roast, but tonight a lasagne is ready to put in the oven, a courgette gratin to use up the rapidly growing produce and a trifle for pud. I’m making a stuffed focaccia out of Jamie’s latest book. It’s stuffed with broad beans....sounds interesting. I got a lovely big crab yesterday, so might do a sort of crab cocktail to start.
Dull and gusty today, I feel our summer is over...it’s already noticeably darker earlier in the evenings.
patpoyntz
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » August 12th, 2018, 6:18 pm

I grabbed a bargain today too - a Vonshef Mini oven and toaster for £13.20. My previous one was again an Ebay bargain for £1.01 about 5 years ago, it was getting to the dangerous stage.... The new one has been used twice and looks it too. They retail at £69.99. Bargain two is a green long pile rug for 20 quid, to be collected on Wednesday eve. Dangerously close to ASDA Walmart ! ! ! Also selling on eBay too......We shall see what transpires in 10 days time...

Collected a 5 pack of kecks from M&S, good job I checked before going home, turned out I had a 5 pack of mens socks. So back to M&S and sorted it out. A few RTC fishes in Morrisons, a megrim - our favourite for £1.34 and a large slab of coley for some thai fishcakes later in the week. I think the fluffs may get a look in too.
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby Grasshopper » August 12th, 2018, 8:18 pm

Had to bin some of our toms - they had Blossom End Rot - not good!
:(
Grasshopper
Spring ventures forth to plant the grain
And Summer dries the straw
Autumn gathers in the harvest
And Winter shuts the door

Grasshopper
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » August 12th, 2018, 10:12 pm

The penultimate episode of Unforgotten has been consumed. :grin: Am still absolutely loving the acting throughout, especially the lead female detective. We keep seeing adverts for up and coming ITV dramas. Hopefully they will all be of this calibre.

I had a very nice man come round this afternoon to give me a quote for some odd jobs that I cannot do, either due to my stupid, floppy right arm, or lack of tools. A small paint job and fixing up two blinds. A very reasonable quote and work commences next Friday. I've circulated my CV on a main job agency website and been busy applying for jobs most of today. I have the attitude that I should apply for what I am capable physically to do and / or experienced to do, the former being the most important factor. And if a job that I am not 100% keen on offers me an interview, I'll go along for the interview experience. Nothing to lose, just things to gain. I feel quite positive that I have reached a turning point!

And on that note, I'm going to measure up a wall for a canvas print I hope to pick up from Keech tomorrow if they still have it. I've a feeling it will work very well in my hall to greet people when I let them in. As long as they are Veedub campervan fans my plan will work!

Nite all.....zzzzzzzz :grin:
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » August 13th, 2018, 5:20 am

Good Morning Wild Ones, Tezza, it is useful if you can find a man for odd jobs that you cannot do yourself. Slava, the plumber popped round ten days ago to change the water filters, we do not have the correct tools for that task. Deb keeps the trees and bushes under control but gets Patrick to cut down the big branches and dispose of them. Good Luck with the job hunt.

moira :mug:
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby suffolk » August 13th, 2018, 6:43 am

It seems the day for ‘getting someone in’ ... our Lovely Builder is popping by today to have a look at a window we’re having problems getting to shut properly.

Supper will be moussaka ... I usually make it with lamb but I was watching My Greek Kitchen the other day and Tonia Buxton (sp ?) made it with minced pork so I have taken some minced pork out of the freezer and will find the recording of that programme this morning and check it.
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

PreviousNext

Return to The Coffee Shop