Chatterbox LXXXII - Saoirse

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Re: Chatterbox LXXXII - Saoirse

Postby StokeySue » August 5th, 2018, 6:41 pm

I always ask how strong it is having been caught by the Aspall bottles all looking the same but varying in strength and volume, also some draught ciders can be pretty OTT - same issues with Westons

If I just fancy a nice refreshing glass of cider, then I don’t mind the draught Stowford Press(also Westons) which I believe was deliberately made to be only the same strength as a session ale or lager, good idea IMO

I wish my bassoon playing neighbour would learn a tune, the scales are a bit dull now

Walked to Islington, shopped at Muji and Waitrose, had a peek at the farmers market, tired now! Will make supper and watch Ed Balls on Trump’s aAmerica
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby suffolk » August 5th, 2018, 7:36 pm

Spect Gruney’s snoozing now ;)

We’ve had lovely plump and tender and pink inside, crusty on the outside Suffolk loin lamb chops for supper with roasted crushed Charlotte potatoes, runner beans from the garden, Yorkshire puds, gravy and home made mint jelly ... food of the gods :drool: :chef:
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Gruney » August 5th, 2018, 8:04 pm

suffolk wrote:Spect Gruney’s snoozing now

Yep!
Gruney
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » August 5th, 2018, 9:20 pm

When I used to drink cider (huge gleaming halo !) I liked Frosty Jacks which was one of the strongest ones.... :? Mr. Z drinks cider in the very hot weather - he had a Stowford Press today.

Forgive me if I mention it was 4 and a half months yesterday I stopped....

Night all, early start tomorrow, he is working again.
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » August 6th, 2018, 5:14 am

Good Morning Wild Ones, I checked the beach yesterday when I went down to collect the papers. I was surprised how full it was at 10 30 am, I know that it was a Sunday in August but most of the sunbeds were already occupied.
Cyprus is closed for the next two weeks.

Moira :mug:
When life gives you lemons, make sorbet
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby suffolk » August 6th, 2018, 5:34 am

Good morning all :D :mug: another gorgeous morning here ... lots of chattering from the housesparrows on next doors roof ...
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby icelesley » August 6th, 2018, 7:10 am

Good morning wild ones. We had a hot, humid, uncomfortable night. It's a tad overcast at the moment, but still humid and hot. According to the local weather report we should reach 28C again today. :shock:
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway. Image ImageImage
icelesley
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » August 6th, 2018, 7:31 am

Funny start to the day, brilliant sunshine first thing, then like a pair of curtains being drawn, it went grey and now we have heavy mist ! Weather says this will be the last day of the heatwave. Mr. Z. is working today so I need to tidy the house in readiness for fiends we met in Egypt. They have a caravan that is presently near Longleat so they are calling by to view the Hobbit House and for lunch tomorrow, it will be nice to do catch-up. Sparky apparently coming tomorrow to finish electrics, we penned a snagging list yesterday, I can see it being very contentious - given the present circumstances.

I need to call the place that is constructing the garage doors and find out where I need to source a sturdy lock and key mechanism in readiness for fitting of said doors.

I have a lake of gazpacho to make for tomorrow, apart from that everything else is ready. Chicken Kiev for us 3 non veggies, the veggie will have ricotta and spinach cannelloni with ratatouille and new potatoes, coconut rice pudding with nectarine compote.

And the sun is re-appearing...... Must go and have brekkie... Have a good day peeps...
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » August 6th, 2018, 7:42 am

'Season of mists and mellow fruitfulness ....', pretty well describes the view across the neighbourhood this morning. A bit of a jolt to realise that summer is moving on.

Great bargains yesterday Tezza. If there is fresh cold chicken I can never resist a chicken and mayo baguette with some kind of lettuce.

cj- forgot to acknowledge your comments 're driving! That's a huge milestone, sounds as though things are going well. :hug:

Very humid this morning, not sure if I have a temperature or not, it had gone down when I went back for a check up yesterday (at their request). I am in awe of the kindness of the team at the walk in centre. I wish I could wave a magic wand and make the NHS work properly.

Daytime TV and a visit to a shop for more supplies will be the highlights of the day today. If there was a chance to dive into a bath of ice I would probably accept!
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Busybee » August 6th, 2018, 7:51 am

EM........I’m slightly concerned re your comment about a temperature and wanting an ice cold bath. Do you have a thermometer to check? Do you still feel unwell? If you start to feel ill then I think another visit to the walk in centre may be sensible. I think you said you were on antibiotics, I hope they are working.

BB
Busybee
Registered

Postby suffolk » August 6th, 2018, 8:13 am

EM ... are you taking paracetamol/ibuprofen to get your temp down? :plink: :hug:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » August 6th, 2018, 8:20 am

Morning!

Hope everyone is feeling fit and well this morning! I am having to set another snooze for an hour before Mum and littlest Neff turn up to take me to a hospital appointment. I felt like I was living on top of a rave last night until 1am. The council may get another visit today....

Have fun all!
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » August 6th, 2018, 8:31 am

Thank you BB. I am taking paracetemol to keep the temperature down and antibiotics for the chest. They have been quite thorough with me and told me what to watch for and why. I think they were a little concerned on the first day but I feel miles better than I did then. It's very humid here this morning but feels fine when I walk around so now I've had enough liquid etc feel more normal. I might buy a thermometer whilst shopping today just to check but I feel things are going in the right direction and will certainly seek help if anything doesn't seem quite right. :hug:
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby StokeySue » August 6th, 2018, 9:47 am

Good morning all
Glad to hear it seems to be improving em

Hot and sunny here just for a change

Will go out for a little walk later but mainly just pottering around

Have a good day everyone
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby suffolk » August 6th, 2018, 10:00 am

Should you really go out shopping EM? :wave:

I've done the watering of all the stuff that's in the shade and found some courgettes that were only tiny two days ago and are now marrows ... :shock: I've got a big pan of courgette, pea and mint soup going on the hob ... the rest are in the salad drawer ... I'll think of something to do with them tomorrow ...
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby liketocook » August 6th, 2018, 10:03 am

Good morning everyone,
Glad you are feeling a bit better EM :hug:
I'm partial to a "Thistly Cross" cider :) , though just the one otherwise I get a horrible headache!

Dull and wet here today, so a day in the house I think.
I've a fair bit of garden veg to use up, including rather a lot of courgettes so I'm making the recipe below from a WRI booklet I've had for 25+ years. It keeps well in the fridge, reheats well if wished and also freezes well. I used to make it lots for work lunches. It's a great way to use up any spare veg or garden surplus. I love recipes like that :D
Allotment Slice (serves 4)
2-3 medium courgettes grated and squeezed to remove excess water (or diced cooked potatoes)
½ lb mixed veg chopped small (if using frozen defrost first and drain any liquid)
Handful chives or a few spring onions finely chopped
Sliced tomatoes to top
4oz grated cheddar
4-6oz cooked ham or bacon diced (optional)
6 eggs
¼ pint milk
Chopped parsley (optional)
Salt & pepper
Mix all the veg (bar the tomatoes), the ham, the parsley and half the cheese thoroughly.
Whisk the eggs with the milk and salt & pepper, combine well with the veg mix.
Grease and line a small roasting tin
Pile mix in the tin and spread evenly. Top with sliced tomatoes and remaining cheese. Bake at 170C for 30 – 40 mins until the middle is just set. Allow to cool in the tin for 10-15 mins before slicing. Delicious warm or cold.
liketocook
Registered

Postby liketocook » August 6th, 2018, 10:04 am

suffolk wrote:Should you really go out shopping EM? :wave:

I've done the watering of all the stuff that's in the shade and found some courgettes that were only tiny two days ago and are now marrows ... :shock: I've got a big pan of courgette, pea and mint soup going on the hob ... the rest are in the salad drawer ... I'll think of something to do with them tomorrow ...

Cross posted suffs - sounds like the "Allotment Slice" might be your answer :lol:
liketocook
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » August 6th, 2018, 10:18 am

Morning everyone :wave:

Actually afternoon now. What a morning! We had a massive storm last evening in terms of thunder and lightning but not nearly enough rain. The result of course was that everything went off and we didn't get to eat supper until late. The temperature didn't go down but the humidity went up so it was a very hpt sticky night , made worse but the power going off every now and then which of course meant the fan went off and things started bleeping.

I managed to get myself out of bed fairly early and got a chocolaye cake into the oven. Then
the inevitable happened and the power went off again. Leaving an uncooked cake and a load of washing stuck in the machine and dishes in the dishwasher.

DD rang saying they would be here by 3.00pm but of course she couldn't get through so left a message which Mr R didn't notice until just now. Hair tearing out time.

I really must take a deep breath and get a grip. May see you all later, then again, may not :wave: :wave:
Je pense, donc je suis. - Decartes
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » August 6th, 2018, 10:38 am

Garlic butter to make, also lavender shortbread to go with sweet for tomorrow.

I have just gone through my jam and chutney cupboard :scared: :scared: There is a lot of stuff in there ! It will all need to be moved at some stage as the cupboard is in the garage and is being emptied. In the meantime I have used some of the dark cherries that have been sitting in vodka in some cherry jelly for sweet tomorrow
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » August 6th, 2018, 10:44 am

STOP PRESS!! It would seem there is a nationwide shortage of lime squash/cordial, a well known s'market advises me that there was a fire at a main producer and that is why there is a shortage.

For all those feeling under the weather, hope you feel better soon. :luv:
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » August 6th, 2018, 11:14 am

Oh Rats :hug: .

It's really odd because I love quiche and love omelettes but anything a bit like a frittata, crustless quiche or egg based veg loaf I really dislike. I wish someone could explain the logic.

You'll have to get some limes and make your own cordial Zosh!

Daytime TV seems to have excelled in awfulness this morning. I almost saw a bit of Jeremy Kyle by mistake but didn't miss the man abducted by aliens on some other channel. Going shopping seems a very good idea r ;) it will only be Tesco Express and there is air con both in car and shop.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby suffolk » August 6th, 2018, 11:19 am

Ratatouille wrote:... Leaving an uncooked cake and a load of washing stuck in the machine...

That'll be very messy ;) :hug:

Don't overdo it Rats ... it's not the weather for tearing your hair out ... I'm sure they've seen you at less than your best before ;) :hug:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Seatallan » August 6th, 2018, 12:24 pm

Absolutely Rats. :hug:

EM- take it easy won't you? Don't want to put back your recovery by being too active especially in this hot weather.

I'm another cider lover. I'm very partial to a pint of Orchard Pig (which again isn't particularly strong) and like Sue, I think Stowford Press is very drinkable. The best cider I ever had was from a local French-themed market (one of those twin-town things,to celebrate Bastille Day) and was from a small artisan producer somewhere in France. It was simply divine. I bought a few bottles of it at the time but have never seen it since and typically, can't remember what it was called.
Last edited by Seatallan on August 6th, 2018, 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby StokeySue » August 6th, 2018, 12:27 pm

Rats, air a deep breath, sit down, enjoy the company of the family and let the rest go
I’m sure grandchildren can understudy a dishwasher :D

Thanks for the info on the lime cordial Zosh - I’m just about to have a glass

I’ve had Food Network on in the background earthmaiden, older than old Ina Garten and Pioneer Woman then a rather dull prog with Giada in Campania. Nice scenery at least
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » August 6th, 2018, 1:04 pm

Thanks everyone. I got the chocolate cake made without further mishap. I have cooled and calmed down- a cooling pastis helped!

I am really looking forward to seeing them and they do always lend a hand. Fortunately they cope well with the heat. GS loves taking charge of the hens and he is very handy in the kitchen.
Je pense, donc je suis. - Decartes
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby suffolk » August 6th, 2018, 1:12 pm

Ratatouille wrote:......... a cooling pastis helped!.......

It would ......... lob some this way .......... we've not got any left ............ on the other hand ........is it really too early for a Campari and soda ......
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » August 6th, 2018, 2:59 pm

Zosherooney wrote:It would seem there is a nationwide shortage of lime squash/cordial, a well known s'market advises me that there was a fire at a main produce
I thought that limes grew on trees. :rolleyes:
Rats: my sympathies about the power going off, we usually have trouble in the winter when there are storms up in the mountains. We did have have a power cut last Monday evening but that was something to with a fault at the power station.

Moira
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby jrc » August 6th, 2018, 3:12 pm

Hello :D

A good job I looked in my diary yesterday. I had forgotten I had an appointment with my accountant at noon. :shock:

That sorted. Next question. I defrosted the mixed grill we won on Saturday. We had the burgers that evening. Sunday morning the sausages went. For tea last night we had the pork chops and kidney which leaves us with the steak and lamb chops.

I feel we have had a bit of a meat fest and bearing in mind the meat was defrosted Saturday would you risk knocking it on to tomorrow?

I have googled a number of sites which state 3 - 5 days but this is not vacuum packed but has been decanted into clean food bags.

Thank you in advance. :hug:
jrc
Registered

Postby suffolk » August 6th, 2018, 3:28 pm

I d keep the steaks on a clean dry plate with a couple of layers of grease proof over it and tucked under the plate, then I think it’d be fine tomorrow. Enjoy :D

I don’t like keeping meat in plastic bags ... it stays wet and that’s not good for it.
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » August 6th, 2018, 3:45 pm

EM, That thought had crossed my mind......

Everything is taking forever today... still need to construct shortbread, plan to leave it in the fridge and cut into circles tomorrow.
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby jrc » August 6th, 2018, 4:01 pm

Thank you :hug:
jrc
Registered

Postby jrc » August 6th, 2018, 4:05 pm

Sorted thank you :hi5:
jrc
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » August 6th, 2018, 4:20 pm

PatsyMFagan wrote:I forgot to update you all yesterday...… Gizzy Dog has potentially found his forever home :bounce: His new owners saw him on the Adoption website and drove up from Tewkesbury. :o They had previously had two little Westies, but one had died earlier this year and little Flora was pining without her mate. They (all) instantly fell in love with G and would like to take him home as soon as they can (Tuesday !) because he will be going with them to their holiday home in France :tu: :tu: :tu: They need 3 weeks to obtain his passport and get him the Rabies jabs. His initial introduction to Flora went well and went even better when they were let off the lead in a secure compound :luv: :hug: :hi5: Whilst I will be sad to see him go, I am also so pleased that his life will be transformed … I am so excited for him. :tu:

It is now confirmed by all parties that Gizzy Dog will be going to his forever home tomorrow ... I will take him for his last duty in the shop (he usually does 'meet and greet' and then escorts the customers round the shop ! ;) ) then come home and pack his bag and hand him over .... then who knows when the next little dog comes in that needs some TLC ? ;)
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby suffolk » August 6th, 2018, 4:39 pm

Awww Patsy ... you’ll miss him ... but you’ve been a wonderful friend to him :hug:

Here’s to the next one :cocktail: :cocktail:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Gruney » August 6th, 2018, 7:52 pm

Hats off to you Patsy - I couldn't bear that. :tu:
Gruney
Registered

Postby Amber » August 6th, 2018, 8:20 pm

Any scientists around?

Copied from the BBC- I hadn’t actually thought about it.... :oops: :? :D . I might be being very thick! :oops:

But chilling a room involves displacing the heat - it has to go somewhere, and that means boosting temperatures outdoors.
Amber
Registered

Postby Amber » August 6th, 2018, 8:25 pm

And if the sun is over the yard arm ;) , would you drink this?

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/food-and-dr ... aste-like/
Amber
Registered

Postby StokeySue » August 6th, 2018, 11:02 pm

Gruney wrote:But chilling a room involves displacing the heat - it has to go somewhere, and that means boosting temperatures outdoors.

Exactly

Not my field but it’s all down to the laws of thermodynamics

Think about your fridge - the fins on the back are always hot because fridges don’t make cold - the laws of thermodynamics say you can’t do that, energy such as heat can’t be destroyed you can only move it around. So basically your fridge just chucks the unwanted heat out of the back

Air con the same - it just chucks heat out of the room to the outside World

Flanders and Swann explain it very wellness

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VnbiVw_1FNs
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » August 7th, 2018, 5:20 am

Good Morning Wild Ones
Amber wrote:But chilling a room involves displacing the heat - it has to go somewhere, and that means boosting temperatures outdoors
That is why we try to keep the freezer and drinks fridge outside in the carport or north facing porch but not in this house.
The heat continues, I am loosing my cooking mojo.

Moira :mug:
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby Gruney » August 7th, 2018, 6:11 am

StokeySue wrote:Gruney wrote:
But chilling a room involves displacing the heat - it has to go somewhere, and that means boosting temperatures outdoors.

Not guilty M'lud.
Gruney
Registered

Postby jrc » August 7th, 2018, 6:17 am

Morning all :hug:

I have to spend half my morning doing accounts this morning. :?

No doubt moo will be retrieving her toys from the paddling pool. Too hot here to walk her but realistically she is probably getting more exercise doing that and tearing round the garden. :rolleyes:

I too am struggling to cook but we will have the steak and lamb probably with new potatoes and salad. :D

Hope all those with the lurgys are feeling better. :hug:
jrc
Registered

Postby suffolk » August 7th, 2018, 6:24 am

Good morning all :D :mug:
Slept like a log ... so much better than the night before ...
blue skies again today ...
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » August 7th, 2018, 6:33 am

We have avocado rustling in Cyprus :o
https://cyprus-mail.com/2018/08/06/e200 ... os-stolen/

Moira
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby icelesley » August 7th, 2018, 7:03 am

Good morning wild ones. A better night last night, not so humid, so I did manage to sleep. Its a bit fresher this morning so the beasts can go out for a walk. Not a lot to do today, I might go to the garden centre see if there are any bargains to be had ;)
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway. Image ImageImage
icelesley
Registered

Postby jrc » August 7th, 2018, 7:08 am

Next week we are having a girlie evening. We thought about doing the same as last time and having f & c on the beach, but we couldn’t agree on which beach. :lol:

I wanted to go to one where there would be ahem facilities whereas the others said they would prefer to go somewhere a lot more remote.

We will be bringing our own alcohol.

Anyway, the upshot of it is that the town seafront will be heaving due to summer festivities so we have abandoned that plan and will still be having the f & c in someone’s back garden. :rolleyes: :lol:

I was thinking of bringing a desert of some description, and have had a good look at the cheesecake thread on here. :D

Whatever I do will have to be transported and unlikely to be refrigerated at the other end. Host only has a small fridge.

I still have nightmares of doing a Victoria sandwich in heat like this. I put in a good wedge of fresh cream which by the time we got it as far as the car the cream had melted, and the top half literally slid off the base. It was a hideous mess.

There will only be four of us but I cannot do very much fruit so anything too fruit based is out of the question.

Last time I did meringues with fresh cream and strawberries and drizzled chocolate over the top. ( I left the strawberries :rolleyes: ).

Any thoughts would be appreciated bearing in mind I don’t want to spend too long in the kitchen in this heat. :rolleyes:

Thanks in advance. :hug:
jrc
Registered

Postby StokeySue » August 7th, 2018, 7:19 am

Good morning
Sorry Gruney, not sure how I did that

Hot and sunny again here, going out to play my London league backgammon match at the RA

Better have some breakfast I suppose

Not sure about the dessert jrc as I would inevitably do something fruity

Have a good day everyone
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Gruney » August 7th, 2018, 7:29 am

StokeySue wrote:Sorry Gruney, not sure how I did that

I should just put it down to a stroke of genius :D
Gruney
Registered

Postby jrc » August 7th, 2018, 7:30 am

Sue, I am going through my cook books. Trying to avoid chocolate and cream ( will be kept in a hot kitchen ) and fruit. I like fruit but it doesn’t like me. :rolleyes:

Just a bit flummoxed. :lol:
jrc
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » August 7th, 2018, 7:44 am

Morning all,

I am happy for you log like sleepers last night! It took me ages to fall asleep. I was flapping around like an idiot trying to find a cool spot. Woke up to a fly buzzing on my limbs. I've just got a few admin jobs out of the way, think I'll have breakfast before I decide what else to do. I do think that my brain is melting. Scientists.....have we moved closer to the sun? When will it end?

Flagging of Dunstable....
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby musselsandfries » August 7th, 2018, 8:23 am

Hi jrc
re dessert, youcould just accept that 'it will melt' and take a cannister of pure and/or white chocolate sauce with some wooden skewers, marshmallows, fruit chunks,biscotti type things and something like the long pink finger biscuits; ( Oh and wet wipes :D )

For the flaggers in the heat, we have 36/37 forecast at 5pm.....I will be in a darkened room, under the bed or having a long cold bath !!
musselsandfries
Registered

PreviousNext

Return to The Coffee Shop