Chatterbox LXXXII - Saoirse

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Re: Chatterbox LXXXII - Saoirse

Postby Chinchilla_lady » July 3rd, 2018, 11:01 am

Morning All

Many years ago when one of our was a tiny kitten he very delicately licked all around a half pound of butter I had put in a dish prior to having a dinner party that evening. We did not notice until a guest said , oh you always make so much effort, you even put a pattern on the butter :oops: :oops: Same dinner party, same cat, he had already consumed a portion of creme brulee which was waiting for its topping, good job I had made extra portions.

he slept it off on our bed, guess who had to change the bed while 3 sheets to the wind before we could get in it. I didnt know so much could come out of a small cat, in both directions :sprout: :sprout:

Addicted to White Cats
Chinchilla_lady
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » July 3rd, 2018, 11:57 am

Just heard that no5 GD has won a place at the World Cheerleading Championships in Florida next year. I'm still not at all sure if I can cope with the concept especially as it is exclusively female. however she and her dad are super excited so who am I to put a spanner in the works?
Je pense, donc je suis. - Decartes
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » July 3rd, 2018, 11:57 am

Afternoon everyone,

Still scorching here and getting nervous about 7pm! Had my bone scan. No dramas there. Picked up meds and brunette in a bottle ahead of a mop chop tomorrow. Not much sleeping happened last night so I think I'll have a nap until the 3pm kick off. Can actually feel my eyelids drooping......
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Seatallan » July 3rd, 2018, 12:35 pm

Chinchilla_lady wrote:Many years ago when one of our was a tiny kitten he very delicately licked all around a half pound of butter I had put in a dish prior to having a dinner party that evening. We did not notice until a guest said , oh you always make so much effort, you even put a pattern on the butter :oops: :oops: Same dinner party, same cat, he had already consumed a portion of creme brulee which was waiting for its topping, good job I had made extra portions.

he slept it off on our bed, guess who had to change the bed while 3 sheets to the wind before we could get in it. I didnt know so much could come out of a small cat, in both directions :sprout:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » July 3rd, 2018, 1:16 pm

Ratatouille wrote: I'm still not at all sure if I can cope with the concept especially as it is exclusively female.

I think that they have had to allow young men to become cheerleaders, I do not think that there are many.

If I have understood it properly there is a football match this evening at 9 00pm our time. This will cause our Wi Fi speeds to drop making it difficult for non football fans to watch TV. There will be some very unladylike language here.

Moira
When life gives you lemons, make sorbet
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » July 3rd, 2018, 1:52 pm

A quick :wave: after reading back.

Good news 're employment for The Painter Suffs. I am not sure I would be up to a hectic life in Cyprus, but life seems complicated everywhere now once a little technology is involved. I am glad that the scruffy cats who sometimes sneak in here don't seem to steal food, they must be well fed despite not looking very well cared for. The cat of my childhood, Sandy, used to enjoy licking the slabs of cheese in my parents' village shop if they were left uncovered for two seconds. We did cut off the area he'd licked if he was caught :lol:.

Looks a nice day out there. Have had a nice sleep and work wasn't as busy as we'd feared. I am trying to avoid going shopping before Friday so am about to try and be inventive with two bits of broccoli, an aubergine and some mushrooms which are lurking in the fridge.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » July 3rd, 2018, 3:08 pm

Shoulder got so painful that I had to visit the nurse. Seems I have somehow strained the muscle and it is in spasm.... Co-codamol and rest and a hottie ! In this weather? Spent time sleeping, Mr. Z. has cleaned my windows of fly stuff :sprout: Scrumpy caught a newt, Mr. Z rescued it. Late lunch of a pesto, mozzarella and sun-dried tomato roll shared and the end of the sushi. Thankfully supper is ready so it will be dinged later.

I think I will be spending the evening in my boudoir......the paint is still very wet there..... :rolleyes:
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » July 3rd, 2018, 3:16 pm

Zosherooney wrote:I think I will be spending the evening in my boudoir......the paint is still very wet there

I am sure that I can find some paint to watch in one of the new build houses :rolleyes:

Moira
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » July 3rd, 2018, 5:32 pm

If I were closer Moira, I'd join you, what colour is your paint ? Mine is mint green, nice cool colour !
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby suffolk » July 3rd, 2018, 5:50 pm

OH has plenty of wet paint he's happy for you all to watch ... he guarantees that it will be more interesting than anything you can see on television ;)
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » July 3rd, 2018, 5:54 pm

I have a half finished chimney breast in white and a spare tin of bright red paint. How patriotic I could get with that little combination!
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby scullion » July 3rd, 2018, 6:04 pm

i may go and find my watercolours, they'll take long enough to dry - well i would if a cat wasn't sitting on me.
scullion
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » July 3rd, 2018, 6:27 pm

fullsizeoutput_441.jpeg

As you can see Scrumpy is watching the footie with interest ! I can't move either !
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby scullion » July 3rd, 2018, 6:37 pm

we had a quick but decent shower of rain a couple of hours ago - it still won't be enough, by a long chalk!
scullion
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » July 3rd, 2018, 8:17 pm

It's bound to rain tonight, Mr. Z. cleaned the windows today. There is a strong smell of smoke and a lot of it about.......
Last edited by Zosherooney on July 3rd, 2018, 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby scullion » July 3rd, 2018, 8:40 pm

give him a hug from me - it's still drizzling here.
scullion
Registered

Postby suffolk » July 3rd, 2018, 9:03 pm

:hi5: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :cocktail: :cocktail:

Now I'd better go to bed, before I celebrate too much ;)
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » July 3rd, 2018, 9:37 pm

:woohoo:

:bounce:

:hi5:

Can't stop :grin: :grin: :grin:

Mr Southgate. :kneel:
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » July 4th, 2018, 5:21 am

Good Morning Wild Ones from a hot and sticky Cyprus, but it is July so we expect it.
Did you know that according to YouGov 45% of British people are not interested in the f*******

Moira
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » July 4th, 2018, 5:51 am

I rightly predicted that it would go to penalties, except that the result was the other way around. It still confirms to me that it is a shambolic waste of everything... Just do the penalties and it will be all over and done with within 5 mins ! :D :D ;) Then the world can get on with more important matters. The only positive thing I can say is that I was proud of the English team for not being drawn into the cheating conniving way the Columbians behaved.

My shoulder is a little less stiff and painful today. Yesterday was a bit of a waste of time. I have managed to water the growth in the GH from a scoop from a bucket. I am really not happy with the aches and pains that older age seems to be dishing out to me.

Supper is sorted, just a ding dinner, my shoulder is not up to cutting and prep. I might just be able to manage moving a few tri dominoes in a while. I need to stir my bowl of quartered walnuts in brine later too.

Have a good day everyone.
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » July 4th, 2018, 5:55 am

Zosherooney wrote: I need to stir my bowl of quartered walnuts in brine later too.

What are you doing with the walnuts ? I hope that your shoulder continues to improve

moira
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby icelesley » July 4th, 2018, 7:17 am

Good morning wild ones. Isn't scrumptious gorgeous :luv: :luv: :luv: It's hot again already, no breeze, just blue sky and sun :D
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway. Image ImageImage
icelesley
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » July 4th, 2018, 7:46 am

Morning all,

Another hot one here. I'm not bothered because I'm still :bounce: :tu:! Plus I'm having a cut and colour today. I'm going for a number three on the back this time. Should last me eight weeks then instead of six. Main reason is, I hate, hate, hate sitting in front of big mirrors. Love the feeling afterwards, but not sitting there in front of a mirror for an hour staring at myself!

After that it will be a trip to Aldi where I will be trying out a new shopping regime. Now I'm almost back to complete independence and not having to rely on my mum so much for shopping trips, one main fortnightly shop will be broken down into: Shop 1) absolute essentials, shop 2) freezer food, shop 3) store cupboard, rest of the fortnight regular shops) fresh stuff, milk, cheese and bread as and when.

The 45% stat surprises me Moira and that's just going from experience. I'm with Zosh in that if you put the result to one side, the shining aspect of the game was that England kept calm yet again when faced with so many dirty tactics. I get a sense of true honour and gentlemanly attitude from them all which is adorable to watch. I'm glad I didn't need to take my flags down in a rage just yet! I actually felt like I was going to pass out (heat, nerves, sore throat!) come penalties and caught all the penalties by ear out on the doorstep! The shouts all up and down the street told me we'd got into a bit of bother, so I thought 'here we go.....' :rolleyes: Ran in to see us save then pop one in. Brilliant. And I got a 'like' on Twitter from the captain himself when I tweeted him. Well, cherry on cake really! Now all focus on Wimbledon until Saturday.

And, breathe.......... :grin:

Wondering what's on the menu tonight. I think a tofu, noodle, coconut curry stir fry could be on the cards. :hungry:

Have fun all.
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Gruney » July 4th, 2018, 7:57 am

My eldest collie has been suffering with dementia for over a yeay now - she's fifteen, and in great nick physically, but there we are. I have to go through exactly the same routines every morning - the same walk etc. etc. I have to dress pretty much the same, so she knows it's walk time, and comes out of the garden to have the lead put on. Then we go for our walk - and I'm in wellies :D
Gruney
Registered

Postby suffolk » July 4th, 2018, 7:59 am

Good morning all :D :mug:

Great respect to Gareth Southgate :kneel: he's making men out of those lads ... teaching them to look forward rather than back and to enjoy their football and make and take their chances rather than letting the weight of expectation choke and crush them.

Tennis this morning, then a trip to the shops to get some food for the next few days ... heaven knows how long it'll take me to get in and out of the village ... although W'rose is 'in the village' the entrance to the car park is the other side of the junction that's being worked on. There was another entrance on the village side, but that's had bollards across for the past ten years or so and it's beyond the wit of traffic planners to see that it would be good to open it up temporarily to stop the pressure on the junction. There's also a link from the end of 'our' road onto an area of 'executive housing' and that has bollards too ... everyone's saying that if they'd taken them down and let our village bus and local traffic use that link half the traffic queueing for 20 mins at a time at the junction would be avoided ... but no ... can't be done ... apparently :rolleyes: Various village online networks are red hot at the moment ... :rolleyes:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » July 4th, 2018, 8:11 am

Gruney and your poochette :hug: You sound like you were made for each other.
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » July 4th, 2018, 8:51 am

Moira, I am attempting this recipe, it is a multi tasking recipe if you read it all.

https://monicawilde.com/pickled-walnuts-recipe/

Tall cherry tree is being lopped today due to the BT telephone wire to the house having to be re-located tomorrow. I shall be supervising only !!!
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » July 4th, 2018, 9:06 am

TeresaFoodie wrote:The 45% stat surprises me Moira

You forget the rest of the British Isles, Scotland, Wales, Ireland, not to mention people who are not interested in sport. However, the Buccaneer Pub in Erimi, a hotbed of Britishness, is covered in St Georges flag :rolleyes:

Zosh, did you get your hands badly stained by the walnuts

moira
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby liketocook » July 4th, 2018, 9:29 am

Good morning everyone,
Hot here again today though forecast to be a good bit cooler tomorrow thankfully.
I do think it was marginally cooler during the night as I slept better. :)
I've no plans for today apart from dead heading - which is never ending at the moment.
Breakfast was toast & boiled egg, I had some eggs just past their use by (all passed the "float" test) so have cooked them and will use up over the next few days. Lunch will be crackers with the last of the chicken & salad. I've no idea about dinner yet.
liketocook
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » July 4th, 2018, 10:01 am

Morning everyone :wave:

Back from shopping and still completely befuddled after last night's excitement - no to mention the tourists and the chaos which is being caused by the reduced speed limit. The local gendarmerie are making a fortune for the state coffers.

The tourist tales continue. An English family was overheard looking for Cheddar and complaining that you would think French suoermarkets would stock English cheeses because English ones stock French ones :lol: A German family with 4 children in tow, 2 in a double buggy, blocked one entire exit while mum applied sunscreen to them all, put hats on and made them all have a drink
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » July 4th, 2018, 11:35 am

Moira, plastic gloves were worn throughout the initial process. They have a change of brine tomorrow and the leftover brining liquid will be put on the moss that is trying to grow on the tarmac that leads to our house. The moss then makes a fine platform for the weeds to grow in. So 2 birds with one stone.

The thick quilted cover that was on the sofa/bed I bought had a few drinks stains which we tried to remove washing only a portion of the cover but that left more ring marks so this morning I put the water on and ran a bath to which I added soap powder and stain remover then added the cover and walked on it in the bath for 2 lots of 15 mins. The colour of the water was dark brown ! :o Mr. Z. rung out as much of the water as he could and carried it downstairs in my paddling pool. I spun it in the washing machine, there was not a lot of space for anything else and it is now outside drying. The blue cover is a helluva lot brighter now. :tu: Just hope it still fits the sofa bed.

Looks like I have sold my camping gas cold box/fridge, so a bit more space in the existing garage. Ended up having 2 people after it which is always a bonus.
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » July 4th, 2018, 12:39 pm

A quick :wave:.

This morning was the worst yet for sleeping. My house is usually quite cool and I have a fan on for sleeping but was boiling still. The forecast promised rain from 2pm for the afternoon so we have 40 minutes to go. I do hope they are right and gardens get a splash. It does seem a bit cooler now and there is cloud, so maybe ....! No more rain forecast for the foreseeable future after that.

Hope you are kind to your shoulder Zosh. You seem to have been as busy as ever! You'll miss hunting for bargains when you have enough!

Living in places enjoyed by holidaymakers does have it's ups and downs doesn't it!

Having a snooze and :mug: before preparing for work. On Friday it will be exactly a year before I can retire 8-). So many people seem to be going on working now - something different might be alright financially, maybe just through the winter :) . GD was taken to visit the school they'd like her to attend yesterday ... :o. Milestones in the family next year!
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » July 4th, 2018, 1:56 pm

Hi EM, try washing your hair in cool water and going to bed with it wet and a towel over your pillow. Very cooling. Being a bit more mobile today is helping the healing process. Yesterday the ache was making me feel a bit sick but today is better.

Have just put the dolmades in the SC, I have traditional, garlic, chive and ricotta and lastly mediterranean i.e. paprika, savoury and onion. Mr. Z can take some for his lunch tomorrow and Friday.
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » July 4th, 2018, 7:23 pm

I thought today was cooler due to a sky full of clouds and a breeze, that is until about 4pm when the sun burst through and the breeze dropped. The heat is not really affecting my sleep but it is affecting my awake and I am now officially sick of it. I am liking the idea of going to bed with wet hair. I think when I am on my travels tomorrow I will look for a spray bottle so that I can fill it with cold water and ice cubes and squirt my feet of an evening! I'd also like to find a supermarket selling cornflour. Is there a shortage? So far none in Lidl, Aldi, Asda, Co-op or Iceland round here today. Hmmm.... Worse problems to have I suppose! :grin:
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Catherine » July 4th, 2018, 7:36 pm

I this where I admit to still having my electric blanket on at night?
Catherine
Registered

Postby aero280 » July 4th, 2018, 8:03 pm

We were threatened with a low risk of showers. There's a small one that moved north and should have passed over in 10 minutes. But at 7.00 this evening it decided that this was a nice place to stay, and it's sat here for the last hour and three-quarters. :(
http://www.saabtechtalk.com/
aero280
Site Admin

Postby PatsyMFagan » July 4th, 2018, 8:24 pm

NO signs of any showers here Aero … but it did go very dark and I was expecting it ;)
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » July 4th, 2018, 8:25 pm

Electric Blanket !!!!!!!! :o :o :o I am half under a sarong with a fan on at the end of the bed...

We have had a few drops of the wet stuff but nothing to call a shower...
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby Amber » July 4th, 2018, 9:53 pm

TeresaFoodie wrote:I will look for a spray bottle so that I can fill it with cold water and ice cubes and squirt my feet of an evening!

I use mine to squirt my face and upper body when I can’t sleep, usually about 2am.

Cornflour seems to be one of those things that appears in different aisles, in different shops :? ...
Amber
Registered

Postby suffolk » July 4th, 2018, 9:53 pm

Not a drop here

Sweet dreams folks ...
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » July 4th, 2018, 10:01 pm

Amber wrote:
Cornflour seems to be one of those things that appears in different aisles, in different shops :? ...

A bit like when we had The Beast From The East where you could not get Yorkshire puddings or dumplings in any form, this felt like a panic buy situation where the shelf is there but nothing on it! Although I can't imagine why anyone would panic buy cornflour!

Our sky went all black earlier and I could smell rain as if it had fallen on hot pavement. If it did then I missed it, and by the time I looked out the pavements were dry. Better luck tomorrow.

Night all!
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » July 5th, 2018, 5:13 am

Good Morning Wild Ones, we got excited yesterday evening, we found a gecko on one of the kitchen fly screens. Geckos are those little lizards that seem to defy gravity walking up walls. There were several families in our original house, they lived behind the pictures, totally harmless except if you are a fly.

Moira :mug:
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby suffolk » July 5th, 2018, 6:04 am

No sign of rain here. Tezza that smell of rain on hot dry ground has a name ... 'petrichor'. :)
Looking forward to smelling it here some time soon ...
Not a lot planned for today other than deadheading and watering ... and Wimbledon :D
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby icelesley » July 5th, 2018, 6:35 am

Good morning wild ones. No sign of rain here either :( we desperately need it now. It doesn't mater how much you water the garden, nothing beats a good downpour of rain to perk the plants up. Two months of baking hot weather is taking its toll. Shopping day today :rolleyes: I am going early before it gets to hot.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway. Image ImageImage
icelesley
Registered

Postby jrc » July 5th, 2018, 7:08 am

Hello. Workload has been manic lately. Calming down a bit hopefully next week. :rolleyes:

Son has literally just landed for a short break in Indonesia. I am organising two birthday parties for the next couple of weeks. :D

Haven’t had time to post on here much. Have I missed anything? :hug:
jrc
Registered

Postby liketocook » July 5th, 2018, 7:56 am

Good morning everyone,
Definitely a tad cooler this morning and slightly overcast, I doubt it will rain though. My Dad is coming for lunch and I'm making him the promised swedish-style meatballs. We'll have them with steamed spuds, veg and cream sauce. I have a jar of ligonberry jam in the cupboard so we can have the full "IKEA" experience. :D
Assuming it doesn't get unduly warm later I plan to tackle the jungle in the greenhouse. My new hose system should arrive today but I suspect I will struggle to get it set up so will have to soldier on with the current one until my son's home.
liketocook
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » July 5th, 2018, 8:24 am

Morning everyone :wave:

Moira I love Geckos. We had lots on Long island and they had very sexy wiggles. It was great to watch them run either up or down a wall as you say defying gravity - across the ceiling too.

Spray of pure water in the fridge and taken up to bed too here. They are very cooling BUT you must wash out the bottle every day and change the water.if you use it from the tap nasties can easily develop if you don't. Pharmacies and superkets here sell pump aerosols of pure water which is safe to use over a period because it's sealed in. They are very inexpensive but tap water is just as good if you take care.

We had some brilliant news last night. Oldest GD has been made head girl at her school next year. She gives 110% to everything she does, so she will be wonderful. Public speaking is no problem and she is comfortable and confident talking to anyone. She follows in th footsteos of her great grandmother, her father (not head girl of course), and her mother, so is keeping up a family tradition. Not that I'm a proud granny or anything :bounce: :bounce:

Have a good day everyone.
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby suffolk » July 5th, 2018, 8:34 am

Lovely news Rat :D

We've been out there watering ... just using the watering cans to give the suffering a good drink ... a lot of our garden is in shade for a good proportion of the day so goodness knows how those with south facing gardens are coping.

Just heard that Welsh cousins are heading this way for the weekend ... trying to find somewhere convenient for all to meet up on Saturday afternoon ... have a feeling that most pubs will be full of excitable footie fans ...
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » July 5th, 2018, 9:00 am

The British and other northern Europeans were being very smug in the supermarket this morning, we have been using our own shopping for some time, no one is going to charge us for bags :rolleyes: I was amused to see Cypriot gents buying the shops own branded bags, they have been selling those bags for several years, ours were a Christmas present from the shop as we are regular customers.
I bought 2 Kg braising steak, asked the butcher to mince it. Deb is cooking it together with onions, tomato, red wine and herbs, it is blurping quietly on the top of the stove. So that is pasta with meat sauce tonight, I could call it Ragu but that sounds a bit posh. The remaining meat will boxed up into useful portion sizes.

It was 32C when I went out at 9 30 am

moira
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » July 5th, 2018, 9:12 am

Morning all,

Petrichor is a new word on me! No sign of rain here. Although it does feel cooler. So once I've rinsed this hair colour off, I might have to get some decorating done. Good job Wimbledon will be on to keep me company!

Have fun all!
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

PreviousNext

Return to The Coffee Shop