Chatterbox LXXXII - Saoirse

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Re: Chatterbox LXXXII - Saoirse

Postby earthmaiden » July 5th, 2018, 12:58 pm

Afternoon all! I had not come across petrichor either. The rain we had been promised over the whole of yesterday afternoon came to a short shower at the time people were walking or cycling home from work. It wasn't even enough to water the plants :cry:.

Nice news 're your son jrc and your grandchildren are doing you proud Rats!

So tired this morning I fell into bed as soon as I got home and have just got up. Tonight we will be one short and it's a particularly valuable person so it will be a tough night. Last one - although am covering at the weekend :evil: .

I've had a communication to say that Lakeland has opened a store in the Dobbies garden centre in Cirencester. That will be easy to get to should I want to go. They are offering free chocolates if I visit this month. We were due to have one open here in an out of town retail area next door to John Lewis Home but they were told they could only go into the town centre - so they went to Newbury instead.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Busybee » July 5th, 2018, 1:51 pm

It was forecast rain this afternoon , I watched the clouds build and then subside.

The countryside around here had gone from lush green to yellow and dried out remarkably quickly. We have had no rain whatsoever in three plus weeks, could easily be longer. The fields are a golden colour and I’m sure that harvest will start imminently but there isn’t much to the crop, whilst it’s ripe it’s not a heavy yield. The farmers could really do with some decent rain. If only I had invested in potato futures! I think it could be an expensive coming year for some of our basic food stuffs.

BB
Last edited by Busybee on July 5th, 2018, 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Busybee
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » July 5th, 2018, 1:52 pm

We had 6 large drops and a drizzley sprinkle......

EM have just been your way to collect a super clean bargain of a double bed from a lovely chap via Shpock.

BT have been and gone, we might need a new pole ! He thinks our current one will be condemned ! :terrified:
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » July 5th, 2018, 1:55 pm

Zosherooney wrote:have been and gone, we might need a new pole ! He thinks our current one will be condemned !

I read that as your electrical current had been condemned :rolleyes:

Moira
When life gives you lemons, make sorbet
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby Seatallan » July 5th, 2018, 2:00 pm

suffolk wrote:We've been out there watering ... just using the watering cans to give the suffering a good drink ... a lot of our garden is in shade for a good proportion of the day so goodness knows how those with south facing gardens are coping.

Our garden faces South South West. It's beginning to resemble the Mojave Desert or Death Valley... :| ... I'm just about managing to keep things ticking over but that's about it.
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby Busybee » July 5th, 2018, 2:19 pm

Seatallan wrote:
suffolk wrote:We've been out there watering ... just using the watering cans to give the suffering a good drink ... a lot of our garden is in shade for a good proportion of the day so goodness knows how those with south facing gardens are coping.

Our garden faces South South West. It's beginning to resemble the Mojave Desert or Death Valley... :| ... I'm just about managing to keep things ticking over but that's about it.

Snap, ours is south facing............we are just keeping pots and hanging baskets going. Have given up on the beds.....

BB
Busybee
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » July 5th, 2018, 3:00 pm

Beds are drying out and lawn is still relatively green, watering pots, GH and tato bed and all new plants/shrubs bought this season, cannot afford to waste that investment. Try and use grey water as and when..... Watering takes half an hour every evening and 15 mins in the mornings.
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby suffolk » July 5th, 2018, 3:32 pm

Our lawns are the colour of cardboard :rolleyes:
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby scullion » July 5th, 2018, 4:30 pm

the house smells of pasty - i want my dinner now!
scullion
Registered

Postby Suelle » July 5th, 2018, 4:46 pm

suffolk wrote:Our lawns are the colour of cardboard :rolleyes:

Mine crunches underfoot! :lol:
Suelle
Global Moderator

Postby Zosherooney » July 5th, 2018, 4:49 pm

BT are coming again tomorrow to decide if the pole needs replacing and possibly relocating? It holds up the start of Phase II but we are still emptying the existing garage......and I keep buying more stuff. I know what will happen....... I will suddenly need stuff and it won't be available at the prices I want to pay! .......

Just had an e-mail from solicitor........... Another huge hurdle crossed in settling Dad's estate..... she says we are now weeks away and not months anymore :D :D :D :D :D Perhaps we can stop raiding the rainy day fund very soon.......
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby aero280 » July 5th, 2018, 8:39 pm

Our lawn looks fine! :)

It's never been tended or watered in the 40 odd years we've been here. Just mown from time to time. I think the roots must be heading or Australia. :)
http://www.saabtechtalk.com/
aero280
Site Admin

Postby Rainbow » July 5th, 2018, 10:24 pm

Suelle wrote:
suffolk wrote:Our lawns are the colour of cardboard :rolleyes:

Mine crunches underfoot! :lol:

I know just what you mean. Thats what happens every year in South Australia, where we used to live!! Sometimes no rain for months and temperatures over 40º at times :(

Up in Queensland, where we are now, it's green all year round - and we've got away from that fear of bushfires every summer :D

So be careful which bit of Australia you send those roots to, Aero :lol: :lol:
Rainbow
Registered

Postby scullion » July 6th, 2018, 1:32 am

aero280 wrote:Our lawn looks fine! :)

It's never been tended or watered in the 40 odd years we've been here. Just mown from time to time. I think the roots must be heading or Australia. :)

or it's astroturf and you are mistaking the vacuum cleaner for the mower.
scullion
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » July 6th, 2018, 5:13 am

Good Morning Wild Ones, we do not have a lawn, just an expanse of dried earth, there are grass and wild flowers in winter and spring, including the local endemic orchids. Next door Andreas has artificial grass, he washes it with a hose then dries it with a leaf blower.

There was an event over at the church yesterday evening, I had noticed that chairs had been put out in the area behind the church. Lots of fiddle and clarinet playing, I like that but there was the usual over amplified pop. Being a church event it stopped at 11 00pm

Moira :mug:
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby icelesley » July 6th, 2018, 6:28 am

Good morning wild ones. Both lawns look pristine, due to the fact they are top quality astroturf. No need to water, just brush occasionally or Hoover if you are my OH :rolleyes: it's brilliant in this heat and also in the wet, no mud when the beasts are playing on it in the winter :tu: :tu: it is going to be hot again today, we are desperate for rain.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway. Image ImageImage
icelesley
Registered

Postby StokeySue » July 6th, 2018, 7:10 am

Good morning
I am back from my holiday in Italy
Stayed in Pompeii and visited Pompeii, Herculaneum, Amalfi, Sorrento, Capri, Ravello and walked up Vesuvius. Phew. About as hot as here so quite tired after all that
Will chat more later but while I was away I flossed my teeth and lost a filling, so off to the dentist at 9
Have a good day
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » July 6th, 2018, 7:40 am

Morning everyone :wave:

No lawn here either - just rustic flag stones. It hit 36C yesterday and watering has to be done first thing in the morning and after supper. Fortunately we have a well so the water bills are sensible. Our Danish friends spend a fortune because they have to use mains and she is a fanatical gardner.

We are gearing up for two afernoons of football excitement. In the interests of the entente cordiale we have both flags out and hopine that neither will have to come in.

Welcome home Sue. Glad you had a good time.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » July 6th, 2018, 8:39 am

Morning all,

Very jealous of your trip Sue! Italy is definitely at the top of my return visit list. Good luck with the dentist.

I'm having to attend to my windowsill plants every evening with a good soaking. The mint looks the most affected by the heat and needs daily underneath and above watering. I'm craving a garden at times! Probably the only thing that will prompt me to move from here one day. But then do I really want the challenge that this sort of stupid heat brings?

Off to Sainsbury's at some point today for much needed extraction of the yeast variety and a couple of other bits. Then it will be a walk, followed by Wimbledon, and try to follow the printer set up instructions my dad has sent me.

Have fun everyone. :grin:
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Seatallan » July 6th, 2018, 9:32 am

We have a wee bit of grass but just a strip winding between beds and broken up with stepping stones (long Victorian garden). Well, I say grass- it's straw currently. Even the woodland bit at the far end under the sycamore and ash is as dry as a bone and that usually retains some moisture even in hot weather. Mind you, the Mediterranean herbs are doing a treat! :D
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » July 6th, 2018, 9:45 am

So flossing is not 100% good ! Glad to see you back S+S Sue.

More Hobbit work happening today, arcitraving (edges) going on today, bit more plumbing done, BT have been again, pole is fine, has at least another 5 years left. Just needs a restraining wire - (just like the :evil: ) :lol: So no doubt we will see them again on Monday...

2nd brining happening soon..... of walnuts, the brine will go on the moss on the tarmac on the road to the drive. Multi tasking !
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby liketocook » July 6th, 2018, 11:01 am

Good afternoon everyone,
I've been taming the jungle that is my greenhouse this morning before it got too hot to work in their. I'm now having a swift :mug: before heading for another stint.
No lawns to woryy about in my garden thankfully :)
Family bbq tomorrow, I'm popping a piece of brisket in the sous vide this evening and will cook it rare for 18 hours. A quick sear on the coals and it will hopefully be tender & tasty. :D
liketocook
Registered

Postby patpoyntz » July 6th, 2018, 11:07 am

liketocook wrote:Family bbq tomorrow, I'm popping a piece of brisket in the sous vide this evening and will cook it rare for 18 hours. A quick sear on the coals and it will hopefully be tender & tasty. :D

That sounds gorgeous ltc....do let us know how it turns out. My butcher has some lovely brisket in just now, and I’ve been so tempted, but thought it was to hot for a pot roast. I’ve been looking for an excuse to buy a sous vide......
I’m having the last of my baked herrings for lunch today.....but I’ll get more next Tuesday.
patpoyntz
Registered

Postby suffolk » July 6th, 2018, 11:23 am

Good afternoon folks :D :mug: :mug: :mug:

I appear to have been posting everywhere else and neglecting to say Hello on here :oops:

We watered beds and pots yesterday evening as the rain that had been spoken of didn't turn up ... the moisture brought out all the beetles and invertebrates and we spent half an hour before bed watching a family of hedgehogs having a right good feast in the garden :D then I woke this morning to the sound of woodpeckers calling and the sight of a heron flying over :D

OH has popped down to the village for some Provencal rosé to take to friends this afternoon ... we've been invited for drinks and nibbles ... we'll take a bunch of sweet peas too and I may even wear a long floaty frock and a sunhat 8-)
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » July 6th, 2018, 11:48 am

It is 38C here and we are on a yellow alert for heat. We are sitting inside with all the blinds rolled down and the A/C turned on, we do not have it very cold, it was started at 24C then taken up to 27C which is comfortable .
I was going to make Imam Bayildi this afternoon but have decide against it, I will make it tomorrow morning when it is cooler instead.

Moira
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » July 6th, 2018, 12:11 pm

Not quite so hot here today because we have a risk breeze. That however means pots etc get dry even quicker.

I would kill for some brisket, I have taken various charts to our butcher but he is completely baffled by British meat cuts which is fair enough. I'm going to settle for a marinated pave. which will go on the bbq or the griddle.

Schools here are out for the summer today and most are closing early - so "they" can watch the footie. I suspect the they might mean the staff :lol: :lol:
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby suffolk » July 6th, 2018, 12:29 pm

I'm not attempting to 'teach my grandmother' and especially not trying to teach you anything Rats :oops: :lol: but I found this the other day, and thought it might be interesting to post it here https://cooking.stackexchange.com/quest ... ts-of-beef ... some interesting comments below the charts

:D
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » July 6th, 2018, 12:39 pm

Hello all!

Glad you had a good holiday Sue, it sounds wonderful.

Nice to see you're all being good about watering. I suspect we are very close to further hosepipe bans, people are guzzling water faster than it can be churned out.

No work today, had a nice sleep and am off to the hairdresser then some food shopping. That will be followed a little light housework and a nice relaxed evening. Ages ago I swapped shifts with someone and this weekend is payback time :evil: .. at least it will be cool, the aircon is still going rather too well :rolleyes:
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » July 6th, 2018, 12:47 pm

I've got something very similar Suffs, but thanks. I think the main point is that British cuts are fewer. Also it seems to me that most cuts are at right angles in French butchery - if you see what I mean.
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby suffolk » July 6th, 2018, 1:02 pm

I remember being told by someone knowledgeable ... think it was a well-travelled butcher, that in France they dissect out each whole muscle then cut it into pieces, whereas in England the cuts are based on the bone structure of the carcass (hence the term 'joint' of meat). Or was it the other way around :?
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby liketocook » July 6th, 2018, 1:07 pm

patpoyntz wrote:
liketocook wrote:Family bbq tomorrow, I'm popping a piece of brisket in the sous vide this evening and will cook it rare for 18 hours. A quick sear on the coals and it will hopefully be tender & tasty. :D

That sounds gorgeous ltc....do let us know how it turns out. My butcher has some lovely brisket in just now, and I’ve been so tempted, but thought it was to hot for a pot roast. I’ve been looking for an excuse to buy a sous vide......
I’m having the last of my baked herrings for lunch today.....but I’ll get more next Tuesday.

I've done it this way before and sous vide brisket is just fab - well worth buying a sous vide for if you are looking for an excuse ;) . I follow this guy's method https://www.conorbofin.com/2015/06/23/d ... #more-7618 though I'm only doing it for 18 hours or so, his tip of freezing the wine so you can put it in the sous vide bag is inspired :D .

Phew it's hot in the greenhouse, I've had to abandon it until later!
Accidently ended up with a "soggy bottom" as I didn't realise the seat of my greenhouse stool was damp :oops: :oops: . I must have watered it . Still easily rectified with a quick change of clothes and a bag over the seat. :)
liketocook
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » July 7th, 2018, 5:26 am

Good Morning Wild Ones, very quiet here yesterday evening.
Another hot one here today but that is to be expected.

Moira :mug:
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby icelesley » July 7th, 2018, 7:10 am

Good morning wild ones. PLEASE somebody turn the heat off, it's getting worse by the day :rolleyes: Thank goodness I don't have to go to work anymore and melt in an office ;) The tomatoes are going mad, I am giving them away to neighbours we have such a bumper crop. The rest of the veg is doing better than usual too.
Sue glad you enjoyed Italy, I love it, shame it's infested with Italians though :lol: :lol: :lol: just kidding, most of them are ok ;)
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway. Image ImageImage
icelesley
Registered

Postby Gruney » July 7th, 2018, 7:43 am

The choir I sing with is performing this evening. It's an extremely popular concert, and tickets sell out as soon as the ink's dry. It's out in the Leicestershire countryside - a farmer, who likes to support us, clears out his huge barn and hoses everything everything down - we put in 350 chairs - there's a bar laid on, bunting festooned all over the place, and everyone has a small Union Jack. The programme comprises us singing a good few popular choir pieces, a couple of soloists, and the rest of the evening is audience "proms" singing. It's forecast to be 29 deg.The choir staging is quite steep, and I stand on the back row - very close to the roof. It's going to be really hot - there will be in excess of 60 of us on stage, shoulder to shoulder. Phew!
Last edited by Gruney on July 7th, 2018, 7:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gruney
Registered

Postby suffolk » July 7th, 2018, 7:49 am

Good morning all :D :mug:
Drinks and nibbles at 4pm turned into an
all evening event ... I have had Alka Seltzer and :mug:
Normal service will be resumed shortly ..... ;)
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Busybee » July 7th, 2018, 8:33 am

Phew Gruney, that even sounds hot.

We are going to use the opportunity of the football to go into York to see Bloom! https://www.bloomyork.com/

The whole city has been festooned with flowers, trees, veg and other floral/horticultural delights, our theory is that everyone will be watching the football so it will be relatively quiet........well that’s the theory, we will have to see if reality matches.

The chimney sweep is currently sweeping/vacuuming our chimneys, another annual job ticked off.

I struggled down the garden last night with washing up bowls of grey water to give all the apple trees a soaking. We have a bumper crop but need moisture for the fruit to continue to grow. You forget just how heavy water and how long our garden is, not helped by the steps up/down the banking to get to the fruit trees.

Have a good day folks.

BB
Busybee
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » July 7th, 2018, 8:51 am

Morning all!

I agree, this heat needs to be turned down! I cannot imagine how i would be coping with it if I was still in my last job. Another hot one here so there will be no walk today, just a steady build up to the football. :scared:

Have fun everyone.

England! :bounce:
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Chinchilla_lady » July 7th, 2018, 8:53 am

TeresaFoodie wrote:England!

Dont bounce too hard, Suffs has a hangover

Addicted to White Cats
Chinchilla_lady
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » July 7th, 2018, 9:16 am

Morning everyone :wave:

The marketing was done by 8.30 this morning. The atmosphere was joyous after yesterday's result. I hope it will be equally joyous in this house this afternoon. Loads of people wished us well but did point out that it would be a step closer to an Anglo-French final.

It was a bit cooler yesterday, only 33C, but the breeze has dropped. Its the GC's (Dorset branch) speech day today which is in a marquee so everyone is praying that it will be short and sweet to avoid the heat and not miss the football!! GD has messaged to say she ha cut her speech to less than half, unasked except by her brother and friends :lol:

Keep cool and as calm as you can if watching the match.
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby StokeySue » July 7th, 2018, 11:33 am

suffolk wrote:I'm not attempting to 'teach my grandmother' and especially not trying to teach you anything Rats :oops: :lol: but I found this the other day, and thought it might be interesting to post it here https://cooking.stackexchange.com/quest ... ts-of-beef ... some interesting comments below the charts

:D

I've seen that before Suffolk - trouble is the French one is so much more detaiked than the English one which lacks several cuts

Tennis is on :)
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Cheezy_Jazzy » July 7th, 2018, 11:40 am

Afternoon all :hug:

A friend from work visited this morning, there has been a big bust up within my team so glad I am not there.

Just been for my walk around the block, later I will do another much shorter walk. I think I overdid it on Thursday so yesterday had a quiet day as I was in a bit of discomfort.

Spaghetti and sausages on toast for lunch today one of my favourites 8-)

After lunch I am going to watch Quantum of solace, later I may even watch Skyfall :luv:
ImageImageImageImage
Cheezy_Jazzy
Registered

Postby suffolk » July 7th, 2018, 11:44 am

Chinchilla_lady wrote:
TeresaFoodie wrote:England!

Dont bounce too hard, Suffs has a hangover

:oops:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby liketocook » July 7th, 2018, 11:49 am

Good afternoon everyone,
It's hot, humid & overcast here. No rain forecasted and I hope it's correct as we are bbqing this evening.
Had chores to do this morning so I'm feeling a bit hot & bothered now but thankfully they're finished. It's time for a :mug: , some lunch and then a snooze before I prep for tonight. Brisket is doing its thing in the sous vide and the seaweed gin is in the fridge. I've plenty of tonic, ice & lemons so if nothing else the essentials are covered!
Have a good weekend everyone :D
liketocook
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » July 7th, 2018, 12:23 pm

Cheezy_Jazzy wrote:Spaghetti and sausages on toast for lunch today one of my favourites

Was it canned spaghetti or dried?

Moira
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby suffolk » July 7th, 2018, 4:59 pm

Canned spaghetti ?.... got a sudden yearning for spaghetti on toast .........
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » July 7th, 2018, 6:33 pm

Mmmm! With grated cheese or a fried egg!

Glorious evening, I need an early night so hope the pub revellers aren't still celebrating.

There's a whisper about a hosepipe ban ........
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » July 7th, 2018, 7:24 pm

I will water my apple trees before the ban then EM !!!!

We had a fab day on the boat up the Avon Gorge, lots of points of interest, nice being on the water, we both hummed songs in our heads. Mine was 'messing about on the river', his was 'sitting on the dock of the bay' That Issy chap was a clever one ! Clifton suspension bridge has to be my fave bridge in the whole world.

Picnic on the boat, it was hot and sunny with a gentle breeze. Glad I took my sun cream and hat. The boat was full but it was not sardine-ish. The commentary was audible and informative - would recommend it.

Back via IKEA and then home to catch the footie for him, I am glancing - knowing the score - Mr. Z. does not ! Arrived home to a battered but alive slow worm in the kitchen - I suspect Scrumpy. :rolleyes: He has crashed out now....
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby Cheezy_Jazzy » July 7th, 2018, 7:50 pm

cyprusmoira wrote:
Cheezy_Jazzy wrote:Spaghetti and sausages on toast for lunch today one of my favourites

Was it canned spaghetti or dried?

Moira

The canned variety.

Evening all :hug:

Another day with no sign of rain.

I enjoyed my film, tomorrow Skyfall will be watched and then I am going to attempt a rummage in the cupboard to find the other films I want to watch orvi might just ask hubby to find them :D :D
ImageImageImageImage
Cheezy_Jazzy
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » July 7th, 2018, 8:21 pm

Evening all!

Another spectacular day of football! I promised a walk if it finished at 90 minutes, so as soon as the final whistle blew, I was off. Not a soul to be seen! For about ten minutes then everyone started emerging! In every direction Dunstable was just a huge outpouring of 'It's coming home' and hooting car horns. Just brilliant! How could that not make anyone smile insanely? We can now, again, enjoy the next three days. :bounce:
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Cheezy_Jazzy » July 7th, 2018, 8:40 pm

As I hadn't watched the previous matches I decided not to tempt fate and didn't watch today's matches although I did quickly flick the channels over to see the score. I wore my red and white dress in support :D
ImageImageImageImage
Cheezy_Jazzy
Registered

PreviousNext

Return to The Coffee Shop