How reliable is the statement "I eat anything"?

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

How reliable is the statement "I eat anything"?

Postby Ratatouille » June 8th, 2018, 12:53 pm

It seems to happen every time we have house guests. I always ask if there are any food dislikes, allergies etc and sometimes get a very long list!
Then there are the folk who swear they really eat everything and then when you offer something, they don't eat it.
So far this week we have discovered the inability to cope with: Goat's cheese, any molluscs,olives and garlic.

Hey ho my plans for goat's cheese tarts and moules frites today have had to undergo revision.
Je pense, donc je suis. - Decartes
Ratatouille
Registered

Re: How reliable is the statement "I eat anything"?

Postby TeresaFoodie » June 8th, 2018, 1:58 pm

It's a very broad statement which is highly unlikely. I was caught out recently when offered herbal tea in someone's house, which flavour? I replied anything, I'll drink any. 'Honey and lemon?' 'Ooh no, I can't stand honey!'
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » June 8th, 2018, 3:00 pm

Oh Rats, what a shame! I have to admit that I would say I ate anything (and within reason I would, even if I hated it), but find my heart sinking when the host announces they've got ' a nice ......' and it's something I really don't care for which hadn't even occurred to me they might serve. I think that's the point. If you never buy something because it is disliked in your household, it is easy to forget about it (though the things you mention seem quite commonplace). I once was caught by surprise with Chicharrones .. wouldn't have thought of them in a million years!
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby StokeySue » June 8th, 2018, 4:21 pm

TeresaFoodie wrote:'Honey and lemon?' 'Ooh no, I can't stand honey!'

But honey is not a herb! So you weren't that far out ;)

earthmaiden wrote:I think that's the point. If you never buy something because it is disliked in your household, it is easy to forget about it

I think that's the case BUT

Ratatouille wrote:So far this week we have discovered the inability to cope with: Goat's cheese, any molluscs, olives and garlic

Molluscs perhaps not so much, but why would anyone expect olives and garlic not to feature in Provence? High probability of goat's cheese too I'd have thought :D

I will eat most things likely to be served, but I do mention tarragon - which can put a spanner in the works - and turnips

I have a friend who claims to eat anything baring crustaceans (genuine allergy), offal, and blue cheese. His partner has compiled a list of things he really doesn't eat - it takes about 5 minutes to recite!
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby patpoyntz » June 8th, 2018, 5:00 pm

We had 4 friends for dinner this week. All said they weren’t fussy eaters, but it turned out, no fish or shell fish of any type. No rabbit or duck, no cream or anything custardy, no goats cheese, no coriander. I made an asparagus tart for starter and one guest scraped all the filling from his tart and left the pastry! The chicken basque talked about on another thread was a great success though.
patpoyntz
Registered

Postby Catherine » June 8th, 2018, 5:12 pm

I will eat anything if a guest even if I don't like it except for mint, blackcurrant and cauliflower cheese so will always mention these. Other 'dislikes' I tolerate
Catherine
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » June 8th, 2018, 6:04 pm

Catherine wrote:I will eat anything if a guest even if I don't like it except for mint, blackcurrant and cauliflower cheese so will always mention these. Other 'dislikes' I tolerate

I think it is only polite to eat something, or at least not to make a fuss over something if you haven't already mentioned that you won't eat it, but what do folks here do if they are served something when you have already told the host when asked that you either dislike, have an intolerance to or will not eat it for any other reason?

I may have mentioned before.....knowing full well I had been a strict vegan for many years, knew what that meant, had even asked me what she could serve me as a starter one Christmas lunch meal, ex's mum did this. She was going to Asda for shopping so I mentioned a guaranteed vegan product that I knew they sold. Excellent! How accommodating! What turned up was something looking and smelling like goat's cheese surrounded by salad leaves. Thinking she had made a genuine mistake, and not wishing to offend, I waited until nobody was looking I slipped the offending item into a napkin, onto my lap, then next toilet visit it went in the bin. Sat back down, finished the accompanying salad and rest of the meal. Later, she somehow found the wrapped item in amongst all of the rubbish of that day and really kicked off about it in front of everyone, how embarrassed was I. The names she didn't call me. How thankful am I now looking back at what she (deliberately?) did that she never became my MIL. :grin: :tu:
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » June 8th, 2018, 8:43 pm

If you have made it perfectly clear that a food is against your beliefs or will make you unwell or that you really find it unbearable then I think it is acceptable to refuse it, not to expect to be given something else and make a mental note to avoid going again! What annoys me more are people who can't accept that you don't share their passion for certain foods that you have clearly tried, possibly more than once or twice and know you are not keen.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby northleedsbhoy » June 9th, 2018, 6:04 am

There are a few things that I have tried but won't eat such as lentils, chickpeas, squid, octopus, whelks, liver, heart, kidney (although I love haggis) and snails. There are a lot of things that I would never buy for myself, spinach, kale etc but if those were served to me I'd eat them. I don't consider myself to be a fussy eater but like most folks I know my likes and dislikes.

Cheers
NLB :tu:
northleedsbhoy
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » June 9th, 2018, 6:46 am

I'll eat all your share then NLB although I may pull a face at heart ! ;) You can have my portion of chorizo :sprout: :lol:
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby suffolk » June 9th, 2018, 6:52 am

The only thing I will not eat, sadly, are oysters ... and that's because over recent years they have made me very ill on repeated occasions. I do not like desiccated coconut, but if served it by a host I will eat it and not make any fuss. I don't think you can name a foodstuff that I will refuse to eat.
All the foods named by NLB are regularly on the menu in this kitchen! :chops:
Not sure what that says about me ... hopefully that I enjoy a wide variety of tastes, textures and experiences and not just that I'm inordinately greedy :lol:
It takes all sorts :D
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Seatallan » June 9th, 2018, 9:16 am

Well, I really do eat anything (I'm not brilliant with broad beans unless in a casserole/stew or pureed but even so I can force them down) so you can invite me to stay in the sure and certain knowledge that I'll demolish whatever is put before me Rats. :D :hungry: :chops:
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » June 9th, 2018, 9:18 am

I would not dream of serving anything that would obviously cause a problem to anyone and they had told me about it. Even if they hadn't I quickly find a substitute. One half of this couple truly does eat anything and is more than happy to try anything new - in fact a joy to feed!

I have so far not really worried about the garlic because, after many years I realise most people can't tell that it is in most dishes. My mother was a shining example. ;) However i'm going to have to think quite hard about the pistou because you can really hide it . I think hand it seperately instead of adding it to the soup at the end of cooking as is traditional.
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby Prettykiwicrazy » June 9th, 2018, 10:39 am

There’s lots of foods I don’t like but I could probably force most things down . Only things that think I’d have to refuse are mashed potatoes , chickpeas and figs. Quite an eclectic mix
Prettykiwicrazy
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » June 9th, 2018, 12:34 pm

This is kind of my point - if you were coming for a meal and hadn't told me about mashed ptoatoes it wouldn't enter my mind that you couldn't eat them.
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby StokeySue » June 9th, 2018, 3:22 pm

I don't force things down to be polite, on the whole. Most people who invite me to eat over cater anyway, so there is no issue in skipping one side dish or some other component, and I don't think current standards of manners demand it among friends, although it may be different when travelling or at first meeting
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Return to The Coffee Shop