chives ...

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

chives ...

Postby KC2 » June 11th, 2018, 5:24 pm

Evening all!
We bought a pot of fantastic chives at Waitrose a few days ago and I'm wondering if you have any simple ideas for using them - we're going to have a chive and goat's cheese omelette this evening. They need to be simple as we're having our decking replaced so have quite a bit of to-ing and fro-ing atm - we only have one room downstairs and it opens directly on to the decked garden!
They've been great garnishing yesterday's sweet potato and orange soup and today's carrot and orange soup at lunch :)

Cheers!
KC2
Registered

Re: chives ...

Postby PatsyMFagan » June 11th, 2018, 5:31 pm

I have had quite a large pot of chives on my decking for the last few years … I get excited when I see them starting to grow again after the Winter, vow to make more use of them, then promptly ignore them for the Summer ;) :oops: :lol:
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » June 11th, 2018, 5:33 pm

They would be nice mixed into sour cream to serve with chilli and tortilla chips. :chops:
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Prettykiwicrazy » June 11th, 2018, 5:57 pm

I love lots of snipped chives in a traditional mayo based potato salad just as my mum makes
Prettykiwicrazy
Registered

Postby Suelle » June 11th, 2018, 6:08 pm

When I grew them I usually only used them in potato salad, and like Patsy, they were ignored for the most part.
Suelle
Global Moderator

Postby StokeySue » June 11th, 2018, 6:21 pm

Potato salad
Finely snipped into the egg for almost any omelette, but especially cheese or mushroom
In fact, with mushrooms generally
With almost anything involving cream cheese
Sour cream( (or soft cheese) and chive baked potatoes
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » June 11th, 2018, 7:54 pm

I love chives for all the things already mentioned, as garnish on many kinds of quiche too. I don't like a strong onion flavour and often use them in cold savoury dishes which use raw onion.They also make good whiskers if you are decorating food to look like an animal :)
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby uschi » June 11th, 2018, 8:06 pm

If you want to be daring you can try out German farm fast food (what my Gran made when she was pressed for time).

Boil potatoes and two eggs per person. Then make a sauce mixing salt and 1.5 tblsp. vinegar (white wine or a herby one), then adding 150 ml single cream. Add loads of chives to the sauce. You want it almost green.
Peel and slice the eggs, mix into the sauce (you can use warm or cold eggs, as you please). Then serve the potatoes with the egg and chives sauce. The idea is that everyone mashes the potatoes a bit with a fork and the eggs and sauce.
It sounds odd, but it's a lovely summer dish.
uschi
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » June 11th, 2018, 8:43 pm

Sounds good Uschi, why do eggs and potatoes go so well together...?
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby uschi » June 11th, 2018, 9:34 pm

Don't know. Spinach, potatoes and scrambled eggs tomorrow ... :P
uschi
Registered

Postby KC2 » June 11th, 2018, 9:38 pm

Thanks all, potatoes and chives, and mayo, are a marriage made in heaven, aren't they?!
love the sound of your German farm fast food Uschi, we must definitely try that! I do love German Kartoffelsalat (the one they do at Lidl is pretty good!)
StokeySue, I hadn't thought of mushrooms, good idea, I see a mushroom omelette coming soon ...
Lots of things to do with my pot of chives now - maybe I'll have to get another one!
PatsyMFagan wrote:I have had quite a large pot of chives on my decking for the last few years … I get excited when I see them starting to grow again after the Winter, vow to make more use of them, then promptly ignore them for the Summer ;) :oops: :lol:

Haha Patsy! I didn't get any at the garden centre this year as last year's got terrible blackfly. I never had enough for more than a couple of omelettes anyway, certainly not as healthy as the Waitrose ones!
Btw, our chive and goat's cheese omelette tonight was delish - OH did himself proud :D
Zosherooney wrote:Sounds good Uschi, why do eggs and potatoes go so well together...?

Zosh, we discovered another wonderful combo with egg recently, a pesto omelette. We've been making kale, spinach and rocket pesto (separately) a lot recently and the left-overs are fab in an omelette.
KC2
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » June 11th, 2018, 9:45 pm

Uschi, that sounds delicious! Just a few simple ingredients there I can imagine working in harmony together. Yum!
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Amber » June 11th, 2018, 10:04 pm

Raw chives and cooked rice.
Amber
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » June 12th, 2018, 7:45 am

One of the things that never fails to make me giggle is restayrant food decorated with the sign of the crossed chives. We had an example last week and puzzled our friends when we both burst into laughter.
l
I like lots of them chopped finely and mixed with cottage cheese and used as a flilling for ham ie slices rolled around it. Chive flowers make a lovely addition to a green salad.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » June 12th, 2018, 8:19 am

We can't grow chives, it is too hot :( . Spring onion is no substitute.

Moira
When life gives you lemons, make sorbet
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby scullion » June 12th, 2018, 8:51 am

Finely chopped in a green salad with other herbs.
When you've snipped them all off, plant the remains in the garden. They can take both full sun and a bit of shade and are really easy to grow.
scullion
Registered

Postby suffolk » June 12th, 2018, 10:06 am

We love chives ... we grow lots in the garden ... divide each clump each year and they get bigger and bigger.
We use them in everything ... fabulous in scrambled eggs and omelettes and all the other uses given already ... and of course, a few snipped and scattered with a swirl of cream to finish off a bowl of soup :chops:
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » June 12th, 2018, 11:06 am

I have moved my pot of chives alongside the bed that already houses thyme, savoury ( :tu: yay !), a couple of pots of parsley and same of Rosemary … I will keep my several pots of mint away from this bed though ;) :lol: 8-)
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » June 12th, 2018, 11:18 am

Do chives do well indoors on a sunny windowsill? Just thinking ahead to when my pot plant chrysanthemum gives up the ghost I will need to replace it with something along side my chilli and my mint.
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Catherine » June 12th, 2018, 12:05 pm

Yes they do but make sure the window sill is south facing as they like the sun
Catherine
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » June 12th, 2018, 9:24 pm

Thanks Catherine. I think it will be chives then, although the windowsill I had in mind is west facing. This leads me to put a question on Kitchen Garden for advice on where I should position my various plants as I am not sure they are all thriving as well as they could.
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby uschi » June 13th, 2018, 10:03 am

Chives can also tolerate half shade well. But if you can, part the supermarket bought ones and replant them in two pots with fresh soil. They like to be well-watered, but don't like "wet feet".

I forgot, Quark, mixed with chives, parsley and what have you is a popular bread spread here.
uschi
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » June 14th, 2018, 12:00 pm

My pot of chives is thriving in the shelter of my many plants in the garden, so in dappled shade for most of the day. They got re-potted last year into a larger pot and fresh soil. :tu:
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby StokeySue » June 14th, 2018, 12:06 pm

There used to be plenty of wold chives growing in the undergrowth, so pretty shady, along Langstone Harbour
My first chives were a clump that came from there
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » June 14th, 2018, 12:10 pm

The other thing is to give them a hair cut frequently.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Return to The Coffee Shop