Trump and Jong Un Lunch

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Trump and Jong Un Lunch

Postby earthmaiden » June 13th, 2018, 12:15 am

The first thing that came into my head when I heard on the news that Trump and Jong Un would be sharing a 'working lunch' in Singapore was what on earth would you serve to two people of such very different cultures and tastes. I have since read that they are both fast food fans so maybe they should just have popped out to Macdonalds but it looks as though the chefs did better than that and I think that the menu is rather clever.

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news ... rea-summit

What might you serve them for a three course meal? (nothing which causes illness or a quick demise allowed :lol: )
earthmaiden
Registered

Re: Trump and Jong Un Lunch

Postby StokeySue » June 13th, 2018, 12:45 am

I see the first starter is
Traditional prawn's cocktail
Which makes me wonder what cocktail a prawn favours - a Sea Breeze perhaps?

Bet Trump didn't have the octopus

I'll think about the menu, but the only possible pudding is a Diplomat

http://www.redonline.co.uk/food/recipes/michel-roux-s-diplomat-pudding
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » June 13th, 2018, 9:33 am

Wow, fresh octopus instead of off octopus eh? Cucumber stuffed with Koreans is a bit cruel. :lol: Prawn's cocktail is hilarious!
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby suffolk » June 13th, 2018, 9:39 am

To be fair, fresh octopus is ok ... sometimes it's sort of 'pickled with veg' particularly in and around Greece so presumably this was fresh and grilled?
But yes Prawn's Cocktail is a funny slip up ... let's hope it's the only misunderstanding/mistranslation to come out of the whole event.

Edited to make it make sense .... a technique possibly POTUS wishes he could adopt ;)
Last edited by suffolk on June 13th, 2018, 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby StokeySue » June 13th, 2018, 10:32 am

In SE Asia they eat dried octopus quite a lot, I've seen it but not bothered (I'm told it's like chewing old car tyres, haven't tried that either)

I quite like the pickled stuff

Maybe the starter should be Divorced Eggs, a Mexican dish?
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby suffolk » June 13th, 2018, 11:14 am

I like the pickled stuff, although the first time I had it (in a restaurant in Gt Yarmouth in 1971) there was something seriously wrong with it and I was vomiting within half an hour of eating it. :sprout:

I've eaten it lots of times since so it must've been 'off' that time :rolleyes: :lol:

But best of all I love it 'fresh' cooked and then finished on a grill as we had in Italy :hungry:
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » June 13th, 2018, 11:18 am

I wonder what would have worked if only one dish was served for each course. It highlights some if the problems of diplomacy. I suspect that Jong Un would have more readily eaten an American style dish than Trump a Korean (going by what I've read of their tastes). It would have been insulting to omit a nod to Korean cuisine though. Perhaps the 'Prawns Cocktail' could have been adapted and then beef served for the main course with various sides.The puddings offered seemed quite European.

I like some of the suggestions :lol:

Yes, it would be nice if it went down in history as being a good lunch for all the right reasons. The power of good food!
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby StokeySue » June 13th, 2018, 12:32 pm

I think Kim was partly educated in Switzerland, like his half brother? So there are probably non-Korean foods he really likes

And he probably understands more of what's going on in "foreign" than people suppose

Whereas Trump likes to eat like a kid let loose in a shopping mall food court with his mom's credit card
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » June 13th, 2018, 12:44 pm

Trump's favourite meal is allegedly well cooked steak with tomato ketchup and lots of diet coke .
One gathers that neither of them are actually in the gourmet diner class. I bet they would have enjoyed the chips at Quo vardis though :lol: :chops:
Je pense, donc je suis. - Decartes
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » June 13th, 2018, 12:48 pm

Exactly Sue, I suspect it would still have been undiplomatic not to include something which reflected Korean culture on the menu as it was supposed to be a neutral meeting. I think planning diplomatic meals and all the pitfalls would make an interesting TV series - both a reality one and one where laymen have to have a go!
earthmaiden
Registered

Return to The Coffee Shop