Childhood Clothes you hated

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Childhood Clothes you hated

Postby WWordsworth » July 2nd, 2018, 12:23 pm

I got chatting to a man at a bus stop on Saturday.
Our attention was drawn by a woman (who really did not look like the mother of a Rupert) bellowing down the bus station
"Rupert, get back here now. Where is your hat?"

The man suggested young Rupert may have mislaid his hat as he didn't want to wear it.
Then he told me that when he was young his mother had made him an unusual sweater so that she could spot him more easily.
It had a large duck on the front.
He hated it so much that when they went on holiday one year he buried it in the sand, never to be seen again.

I managed to leave a cardigan in a café in Scarborough when I was about 10.
That didn't go down well either but at least I was rid of it.

Anyone else got any memories?
WWordsworth
Registered

Re: Childhood Clothes you hated

Postby liketocook » July 2nd, 2018, 12:37 pm

Wooly tights with lace down the outside & inside leg. They were so scratchy and I was made to wear them to parties, Sunday School etc. I hated them and "accidently" managed to rip them beyond repair ....... ;)
liketocook
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » July 2nd, 2018, 12:41 pm

Only my school uniform once I got to grammar school, especially the winter felt hat and the summer panama. Perhaps woolen mittens on a string through the coat arms.

I was very lucky. I was born during the war, but had a grandmother and aunt who were both fabulous needlewomen and could make lovely things out of improbable materials, a bit of dye and loads of imagination
Je pense, donc je suis. - Decartes
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » July 2nd, 2018, 12:59 pm

Two things particularly spring to mind, both the curse of my mother's knitting machine. Although I longed for lovely bought smooth knit cardigans and jumpers I didn't mind the lovingly knitted ones too much. I hated the knitted winter vests though, made to a strange bubbly pattern with ribbon straps they were the subject of much mirth in changing rooms. Also, there was the 'best' blue winter dress that I grew out of too quickly. There wasn't enough hem to let down so my mother detached the skirt, added a white wide knitted band to the bottom of the bodice and sewed the skirt back on. I could cry when I think of all that workmanship, lovingly done but could have cried at the horror of the two white pom poms sewn dangling on the centre front of the knitted band. They looked ridiculous and my peers thought it a huge laugh to hit them and make them swing :evil:.

I always removed the hair grip I was supposed to wear to keep the hair off my face too.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby suffolk » July 2nd, 2018, 1:17 pm

A pair of black and white dog's tooth check woollen 'trews' ........... golly did they itch :rolleyes:

earthmaiden wrote:I always removed the hair grip I was supposed to wear to keep the hair off my face too.

So did I :tu:
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby beldubby » July 2nd, 2018, 1:46 pm

I too had a pair of the dreaded 'trews' - mine were red tartan. My Gran had to line them for me before I could wear them. I can remember a very uncomfortable journey on a coach to Oxford to see a pantomime - horrible itchy seats too!
beldubby
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » July 2nd, 2018, 1:58 pm

I was an overweight child, so I actually hated all my clothes up until I was in my early twenties after losing a fair amount of weight, but one item of clothing sticks in my mind. A royal blue sweater as part of my school uniform. Not because I hated it, but because my nan knitted it and I really did look dreadful in it and was ridiculed about it by class mates. I couldn't wait to reach the fifth year so that I could ditch it in favour of the much more slimming black that was allowed in our final year. :lol: Sorry nan :luv: but it could have done with being two sizes bigger! :lol:
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Bubbles » July 2nd, 2018, 2:07 pm

When I had compulsory swimming lessons in secondary, I was given a gold lame swimming costume with a kind of elasticated ruching on the front. It came from an older relative and I looked hideous. It also became became very saturated and got very heavy! Awful memory.
Bubbles
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » July 2nd, 2018, 2:30 pm

Oh Bubbles! :hug: :hug: :hug:
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Suelle » July 2nd, 2018, 2:53 pm

The only thing that stands out is a pink dropped-waist dress, with pleated skirt, that was a hand-me down from a cousin. I just didn't like wearing pink!

I remember my mother refusing to let me wear tights instead of knee-length socks until I could get them on with a straight seam (showing my age there!). I can't remember what I used to practise with though. :D
Suelle
Global Moderator

Postby Herbidacious » July 2nd, 2018, 2:53 pm

I had a fake furry hat with pom poms on strings which must have looked so cute. I hated it. It never occurred to me to tell my mother it itched - which it did - to get out of wearing it - as that wasn’t the reason I didn’t want to wear it. C. 8 years old?

Almost all my clothes were homemade. (Excluding bonnets.)
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby suffolk » July 2nd, 2018, 2:57 pm

Ma didn't sew ... but a lady who did moved into the village ... she normally made curtains and cushions for people, so Ma would choose my dress fabrics from the remnants of other people's soft furnishing fabrics :shock: thankfully that lady moved away after a couple of years :rolleyes:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Chinchilla_lady » July 2nd, 2018, 3:12 pm

suffolk wrote:so Ma would choose my dress fabrics from the remnants of other people's soft furnishing fabric

The Hills are Alive, with the Sound of Music :lol: :lol: :lol:

Addicted to White Cats
Chinchilla_lady
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » July 2nd, 2018, 3:12 pm

Sound of Music springs to mind Suff ?????

My Dad RAF, had woollen blue winter shirts and he always wore them out at the elbow (desk job) so Mum made me shirts out of them (I was about 7) for me. They itched like hell and were not even very girlie !
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » July 2nd, 2018, 3:22 pm

Bubbles :hug: I had a swimming costume with a very baggy crutch too I remember! :lol:

I can't remember any itchy clothes. I loved, and still do love, gloves and mittens and have quite a collection, although none of them these days are connected by elastic! I used to be terrible at buttoning up coats where the button matched the right buttonhole and usually walking out of school looking a bit lop sided with one mitten lost inside up by my neck, although we probably all did that, it seemed to take me forever to grow out of it though! :oops:
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby suffolk » July 2nd, 2018, 3:40 pm

Chinchilla_lady wrote:
suffolk wrote:so Ma would choose my dress fabrics from the remnants of other people's soft furnishing fabric

The Hills are Alive, with the Sound of Music :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yep ... one made of a glazed cotton print of large blue roses stands out in my mind :shock:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » July 2nd, 2018, 6:36 pm

Oh lordy those awful ruched swim suits that got waterlogged in minutes. Fortunately i was a good swimmer and when I joined a swimming club I had to have a regulation black one. I loved it to bits.

I absolutely hated having to go outside to play whatever in my knickers - even in 6th form. I am afraid I got very very stroppy and refused to do so and very nearly got thrown out of school. Eventually we were allowed to wear "sports skirts" and I used to wear the track suit I used when swimming., as did anyone who had reached a level above the school - county etc

Whatever happened to my sporting youth - I found men- man !
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » July 2nd, 2018, 7:48 pm

Seems more than a few of us had to wear itchy clothes … for me it was a dress bought for one Christmas (after shopping trip to London and C&A) The dress had long sleeves and a polo neck - both collar and cuff made of white ribbing … however the dress was made of a wool mixture and this was when I found out how I couldn't stand wool next to my skin as I itched continually all over the parts of my body that the material touched. To this day I cannot stand to touch or feel anything made from pure wool … even a silk and angora mix jumper scratched through a silk blouse ! :cry: :aww:
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby Amber » July 2nd, 2018, 9:50 pm

Did no-one else have to wear a liberty bodice? :?
Amber
Registered

Postby Rainbow » July 2nd, 2018, 10:47 pm

Amber wrote:Did no-one else have to wear a liberty bodice? :?

I had to google that one - so no!!
Rainbow
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » July 3rd, 2018, 12:04 am

I had to Google too! No I didn't either, but I came close at my sister's wedding as bridesmaid 15 years ago in some lace up affair. I had to suck my muscles in all day and limit my air and food intake whilst posing for photos and eating at the reception. God awful! I can't imagine having to endure that for more than a day.
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Suelle » July 3rd, 2018, 6:33 am

I wore a liberty bodice but I wouldn't put it on my list of hates - it was just an accepted part of life, like wearing knickers! I guess we didn't know that we didn't need to wear it.
Suelle
Global Moderator

Postby scullion » July 3rd, 2018, 7:18 am

does an alice band count as clothing?
scullion
Registered

Postby suffolk » July 3rd, 2018, 9:14 am

Amber wrote:Did no-one else have to wear a liberty bodice? :?

Oh yes! I did! but not for long as Grimwades in Ipswich told Ma that 'no one wore them any more' so they'd stopped stocking them :hi5:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Suelle » July 3rd, 2018, 10:07 am

scullion wrote:does an alice band count as clothing?

It does when it has a knitted hat with pompoms or tassels attached! :lol:

https://www.thevintageknittinglady.co.u ... c-609a.jpg
Suelle
Global Moderator

Postby PatsyMFagan » July 3rd, 2018, 11:34 am

Suelle wrote:I wore a liberty bodice but I wouldn't put it on my list of hates - it was just an accepted part of life, like wearing knickers! I guess we didn't know that we didn't need to wear it.

same here … just another layer of clothes in the absence of central heating ! ;) ;)
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby patpoyntz » July 3rd, 2018, 12:00 pm

PatsyMFagan wrote:
Suelle wrote:I wore a liberty bodice but I wouldn't put it on my list of hates - it was just an accepted part of life, like wearing knickers! I guess we didn't know that we didn't need to wear it.

same here … just another layer of clothes in the absence of central heating ! ;) ;)

Did yours have rubber buttons for suspenders to hold your woolly knitted stockings up? My stockings always had darned knees as I was such a tom boy.
patpoyntz
Registered

Postby Seatallan » July 3rd, 2018, 12:33 pm

Loving some of these tales! :lol:

I don't remember any particular garment I disliked with the exception of a Laura Ashley dress which my mum bought for me as a birthday present when I was about 12. It was very, very floral (absolutely classic Laura Ashley) and whilst pretty, it did absolutely nothing for me other than making me look like a pair of curtains.
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » July 3rd, 2018, 1:29 pm

I wore a bodice as well as a vest in very cold weather but only heard of Liberty bodices years later. I think mine were a softer version - white with ribbon stuff sewn on as a sort of quilting and was the same shape as a vest. No rubber buttons.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » July 3rd, 2018, 3:16 pm

At least most of us are too old to remember, as Dad did, being sewn into your flannel underwear - often after having been smeared in goose grease - for the winter. :terrified:
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby mum-at-the-oven » July 3rd, 2018, 3:32 pm

I remember a horrid white fur hat with a popper under the chin that my Mum made me wear to school in the winter. It made my hair static!

Then there was the plastic fold away hat that went over the said white hat when it was raining!

Horror of horrors - If I forgot to wear a hat to mass on a Sunday, my Mum would plonk a hanky on my head!

Oh and the cheap white socks which never came close to my knees being held up with elastic bands and being "found out" by some rather unpleasant girls at school..
mum-at-the-oven
Registered

Postby WWordsworth » July 3rd, 2018, 5:28 pm

Not clothing but mother used to give SFH and me a shampoo and set on a Saturday night and we had to go to bed in the curlers.
We were primary school age.
One particular weekend it was done on the Sunday night which meant I went to school with a cauliflower hairdo on the Monday.
I came home in tears because the boys had laughed at me.
Mum was furious but with me for being upset about it.
Then she wonders why I left home at 18.
WWordsworth
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » July 3rd, 2018, 5:52 pm

Socks held up with elastic bands, oh yes, how horrible but a must! :lol: Cauliflower hairdo made me chuckle! :lol: We had a family friend used to do a good job of cutting my grandparents' and mum's hair, although she was actually a full time greengrocer! But let her loose on me and my sister trying to look trendy at school would reduce us both to tears. I had a Bob but with a straight fringe cut in. She trimmed me up then cut my fringe down to about an inch. Mortified! :lol: Never again mum, I said, never again!

Does anyone remember Blakey's? Hard things hammered into the heels of your shoes, I guess used to stop the heels wearing down too quickly. Brilliant until one fell off and you were left with a one legged tap.
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Catherine » July 3rd, 2018, 6:13 pm

I can't really say I hated my clothes as a child because I don't think I was ever really the conscious of what I was wearing. Most of my clothes were play clothes and that suited me fine. The on'y thing I can think of was the straw panama hat fir my school summer uniform and the boater hat for the winter uniform. I hated wearing hats, although looking back at school photos we did all look reaaly sweet
Catherine
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » July 3rd, 2018, 6:55 pm

patpoyntz wrote:
PatsyMFagan wrote:

Did yours have rubber buttons for suspenders to hold your woolly knitted stockings up? My stockings always had darned knees as I was such a tom boy.

I never wore woolly knitted stockings … a bit before my time .. but I recall my liberty bodice did have button holes on either side (but may have been mistaken :oops: ) I think this might have been to fix them to the top of knickers ??? :rolleyes:
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby Bubbles » July 4th, 2018, 4:49 pm

Ratatouille wrote:At least most of us are too old to remember, as Dad did, being sewn into your flannel underwear - often after having been smeared in goose grease - for the winter. :terrified:

Thankfully I missed out on the goose grease BUT I do remember my mum pinning some red felty stuff inside the front of my LB! I think it had camphor or something in it?
Bubbles
Registered

Postby aero280 » July 4th, 2018, 8:11 pm

My father sold clothes. His company catered for the working class market. He would always supply my clothes. But the option was: Trousers - grey flannel, khaki or lovat cavalry twill. Shirts - white or white with checks or strips. Not something that had a lot of street cred...
http://www.saabtechtalk.com/
aero280
Site Admin

Postby StokeySue » July 5th, 2018, 10:53 pm

I don’t remember hating many clothes, apart from some oddments of school uniform - doing PE in navy knickers, felt hat and above all a divided skirt with pleats for lacrosse, it was made of thick wool flannel and rubbed my cold legs raw until my mum lined it. Our summer blazers were also made of thick wool, probably a heavier weight than school winter coats, hot and heavy.

As a very small child I had kilt skirts with straps that went over my shoulders to keep them in place. I liked the tartan but hated the straps which twisted and were hard to button into place.

I had my hair set too, like a middle aged matron, but only when cut, not at home. I grew it out as soon as I could insist
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » July 6th, 2018, 8:03 am

Bubbles wrote:
Ratatouille wrote:At least most of us are too old to remember, as Dad did, being sewn into your flannel underwear - often after having been smeared in goose grease - for the winter. :terrified:

Thankfully I missed out on the goose grease BUT I do remember my mum pinning some red felty stuff inside the front of my LB! I think it had camphor or something in it?

Camphorated oil I guess. It was liberally applied to the chest at the least hint of a cough. I actually quite liked the smell.
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby mum-at-the-oven » July 6th, 2018, 4:23 pm

TeresaFoodie wrote:Does anyone remember Blakey's? Hard things hammered into the heels of your shoes, I guess used to stop the heels wearing down too quickly. Brilliant until one fell off and you were left with a one legged tap.

Ah yes I remember Blakeys and the sound of tap dancing as everyone changed class! I remember the boys used to hang from the pole on the back of the red route master buses as it was moving and put one heel to the road creating a roman candle effect of sparks behind them!
mum-at-the-oven
Registered

Postby Bubbles » July 6th, 2018, 5:49 pm

Ratatouille wrote:
Bubbles wrote:

Camphorated oil I guess. It was liberally applied to the chest at the least hint of a cough. I actually quite liked the smell.

That must been it. I was quite a robust child I think but still managed to get measles, mumps, chicken pox and whooping cough. Maybe she was trying to prevent me getting other nasties?
Bubbles
Registered

Postby WWordsworth » July 6th, 2018, 6:40 pm

Blakeys?
We called them segs.
WWordsworth
Registered

Postby StokeySue » July 6th, 2018, 8:37 pm

WWordsworth wrote:Blakeys?
We called them segs.

Yes, took me a while to compute that

Indeed it seems that the shoe protectors are called segs, but manufactured by Blakeys :D

On the itching front - Botany wool vests with envelope necks and cap sleeves :(
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » July 6th, 2018, 8:45 pm

Thanks for the Blakey's fact! That's probably the reason why whenever I have mentioned them in the past nobody knew what I was talking about!
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Return to The Coffee Shop