England v Columbia

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

England v Columbia

Postby hickybank » July 4th, 2018, 8:36 am

Brilliant result last night, well done lads
Just like watching a wildlife programme as 3 Lions beat 11 Cheaters
Common sense is not so common
A brain is as strong as it's weakest think
hickybank
Registered

Re: England v Columbia

Postby musselsandfries » July 4th, 2018, 8:50 am

:D
Married to a Belgian....2 nights running of late night drama....

Still at least we still have both flags up blowing in the wind !!
musselsandfries
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » July 4th, 2018, 9:32 am

I was at work. One of my colleagues is from Columbia ... :)
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » July 4th, 2018, 9:42 am

My nerves were in shreds by the end of full-time. DS rang to tell me not to worry because they had shown such a brilliant attitude despite the provocation. He was right :bounce:

We're going to have a bit of a dilema if they do get all the way and end up playing France :terrified:
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby karadekoolaid » July 4th, 2018, 10:32 am

When Dier scored the final penalty, I screamed so loud, I frightened the dog! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Great result against yet another crowd of thugs!
" Bite off more than you can chew, then chew like Hell!"
karadekoolaid
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » July 4th, 2018, 1:24 pm

I have put myself through that many failed England penalties over the years that for the first time last night, I got up and went out! Nipped to the Co-op. Pavements empty, no cars, Co-op empty, the noise of people screaming at their TVs from inside their houses was deafening. Then I thought 'What are you doing, you idiot!' Turned round, ran back, walked back in, Dier popped the fourth in! So that's the plan going forward I think. Far less stressful!

Finally we are getting fair referee decisions. That's rare! I think this is helping our team to remain calm and not retaliate to all the fouls. Let's hope it stays that way.
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby hickybank » July 4th, 2018, 1:30 pm

I think last nights ref lost control of the game through intimidation of the Colombians, waste of time having VAR if it is not going to be used correctly
hickybank
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » July 4th, 2018, 1:48 pm

Last night the ref should have sent at least three very aggressive Colombians OFF for the way they were trying to intimidate him.
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby northleedsbhoy » July 4th, 2018, 9:11 pm

At times though they did rip England apart with their speed, especially in extra time. Most European teams falter against the pace of a lot of South American teams due to their inherent slow build up before getting into a scoring position.

Cheers
NLB :tu:
northleedsbhoy
Registered

Postby karadekoolaid » July 4th, 2018, 10:48 pm

TeresaFoodie wrote:Last night the ref should have sent at least three very aggressive Colombians OFF for the way they were trying to intimidate him.
Dead right. The Ref should have handed Falcao a red card for screaming in his face after Harry Kane was scrambled all over by Sánchez. But I agree - the Ref lost control. I´d love to have seen Pierluigi Colina reffing that game - or the German Ref ( can´t remember his name) from the other day.
NLB - yep, they definitely were faster than us; and that´s something I fail to comprehend. Rashford, Kyle Walker, Danny Rose and Dele Alli are all quick - so why didn´t Southgate use them like that?
Mystery!!
" Bite off more than you can chew, then chew like Hell!"
karadekoolaid
Registered

Postby dennispc » July 5th, 2018, 8:56 am

Positives, well they can score penalties and good to see Kane running first to Pickford, so glad the boy came good. I wonder whether that top corner save made the Colombians nervous about the penalties.

Young impressed me with his efforts to stop England players getting involved.

Referee badly let down by VAR, fourth and fifth offcials. Howard Webb, our top referee, couldn't do much in 2010 when the Dutch kicked the Spanish all the over the park. At least with Sweden it'll be good honest fouling that they're used to in PL!

Hope FIFA do something about surrounding the ref., the shoulder barge off the pitch on Sterling, taking free kicks from the right place and scuffing the penalty spot.

Won't hold my breath but the main positive for me is they've shown they can win matches.

But … one nil up, with a few minutes to go, if you have a free kick and goal kick you do not go long. You keep the ball, tippy tappy amongst friends.
Every day is a good day, it's just that some days are better than others.
dennispc
Registered

Postby dennispc » July 5th, 2018, 9:08 am

dennispc
Registered

Postby hickybank » July 5th, 2018, 9:20 am

In 1996 Gareth Southgate missed a penalty in the shoot-out for England.
We lost to Germany in the semi-final of the Euros at Wembley. The hopes of a generation died that night.

Now England manager last night he showed the grand old English trait of being gracious in victory and magnanimous in defeat.

Remember how the German coaching staff took the piss out their Swedish counterparts after Germany scored the winning goal in the last second.
Remember how Maradona stuck not just one, but two middle fingers, up at the Nigerian dignitaries when Argentina scored a late winner to send their opposition home.

Well this is how we do it in England. This is perhaps the most iconic sports photograph ever taken. 

Gareth Southgate opting to console a distraught Colombian who had missed a penalty in the shoot-out instead of leaping about with his players in our moment of victory. 

The greatest story ever told in a single picture.

hickybank
Registered

Postby suffolk » July 5th, 2018, 9:31 am

Gareth Southgate is a real gentleman, but he doesn't just do the right thing because it is the right thing ... he does it because he feels it and means it :kneel:
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby StokeySue » July 5th, 2018, 9:50 am

Jake Humphrey told a lovely story about Southgate on Twitter, you don't need to sign up to read

Check out @mrjakehumphrey’s Tweet: https://twitter.com/mrjakehumphrey/status/1014059047702626305?s=09
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » July 6th, 2018, 10:12 am

We are British and proud of it........ :D :D Let's hope we can hold our heads up again tomorrow and not join in the cheating and conniving tomorrow.

I shall be in the dog house later, we will be on the Avon Gorge trip in the middle of the England game tomorrow. Well I did not know when they were playing when I booked it !
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » July 6th, 2018, 10:14 am

I don't know if this was a good or bad omen, but last night Co-op had just two items RTC. Two cheap swedes.

Just noticed last night a neighbouring flat has an imitation World Cup trophy on their living room windowsill. :tu:

Getting a bit jittery here ahead of tomorrow's QF already! It was very nice having two days off to recover though!
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » July 6th, 2018, 8:49 pm

Crikey, this tournament is really hotting up! The first two semi finalists definitely deserve to be there. :kneel:

For those of you still enjoying watching your paint dry :lol: I heard someone on the radio today who's come up with an even better way of avoiding the world cup by cleaning and cataloguing his ping pong ball collection. :lol:
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby KC2 » July 7th, 2018, 10:13 am

TeresaFoodie wrote:
For those of you still enjoying watching your paint dry :lol: I heard someone on the radio today who's come up with an even better way of avoiding the world cup by cleaning and cataloguing his ping pong ball collection. :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol:
KC2
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » July 7th, 2018, 6:25 pm

Oh no .... :geek:
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby StokeySue » July 7th, 2018, 7:23 pm

Blow Columbia ... 2 - 0 Sweden, yay! :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » July 7th, 2018, 8:13 pm

How very civilised was today's game? I thought every single second was an absolute delight to watch. Can anyone fault a single England player? I can't.

Right now we will see Croatia on Wednesday unless Russia can pull something back.

This is wonderful, wonderful stuff! :bounce:
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » July 8th, 2018, 8:11 am

I note from the tv magazine that footie seems to be on both bbc and itv at 6.30 on Wednesday … I ask because while we were (early) lunching at the White Bear (Raymond Blanc's gaff at Ruislip) yesterday, they said that they are offering 50% discount on food if you eat there DURING the time England are playing ….. so, is this when both semi finals are being played (at the same time ?) …
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby musselsandfries » July 8th, 2018, 8:17 am

Belgium's semi final with France is Tuesday at 7pm English time and Englands on wednesday at 7.
musselsandfries
Registered

Postby Busybee » July 8th, 2018, 8:25 am

We have a family meal out booked with visiting Australian rellies at 7pm Wednesday...........it’s going to be quiet, I just hope the chefs are not too busy watching the football to cook our tea!

BB
Busybee
Registered

Postby suffolk » July 8th, 2018, 9:18 am

Busybee wrote:We have a family meal out booked with visiting Australian rellies at 7pm Wednesday...........it’s going to be quiet, I just hope the chefs are not too busy watching the football to cook our tea!

BB

Think it'll be a menu of sandwiches and cold cuts BB :lol:
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby StokeySue » July 8th, 2018, 9:27 am

I just double checked the online Radio Times which is usually updated, both BBC1 and ITV1 are showing the England - Croatia match from 6.30 pm on Wednesday and the same on Tuesday for France - Belgium.

So pick your pundits and pour yourself a drink (possibly iced water in this heat)
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » July 8th, 2018, 10:02 am

I'll always choose BBC over ITV for sport. Ad breaks being squeezed in at every opportunity annoy me.
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » July 8th, 2018, 10:34 am

musselsandfries wrote:Belgium's semi final with France is Tuesday at 7pm English time and Englands on wednesday at 7.

Ah, thanks …. I may make a phone call to the restaurant ;)
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » July 8th, 2018, 12:07 pm

It's Mr. Z's Birthday week and as he is at work on the actual day, we have booked to go to our fave restaurant in East Chisenbury on Wed. lunch time, no doubt we will be home for the game :rolleyes:
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » July 8th, 2018, 12:39 pm

The France-Belgian match is on ITV on Tuesday and the England -Croatia match is on BBC on Wednesday.

The only thing missing (thank goodness ) from the Englan Sweden match was, as Tezza said bodies rolling around clutching various parts of their anatomy. What a refreshing change :kneel: :kneel: I fear it will not be thus on Wednesday.
Last edited by Ratatouille on July 9th, 2018, 8:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby Grasshopper » July 8th, 2018, 7:19 pm

Not a football fan, but this just MIGHT be our year - you never know.
And , yes, I read the report about the Colombia game. Where were the red cards? They were a disgrace!
:evil: :evil:
Grasshopper
Spring ventures forth to plant the grain
And Summer dries the straw
Autumn gathers in the harvest
And Winter shuts the door

Grasshopper
Registered

Postby KC2 » July 8th, 2018, 7:26 pm

I just saw something on the BBC website about some England fans trashing stuff in Ikea .... I can imagine what Gareth Southgate would have to say about that sort of stupid and disgraceful behaviour!
KC2
Registered

Postby Grasshopper » July 8th, 2018, 7:56 pm

VERY idiotic behaviour!
:x
Grasshopper

Grasshopper
Registered

Postby WWordsworth » July 8th, 2018, 9:55 pm

Maybe this should be on the other thread but why do some footballers think it is acceptable to feign injury.
Aren't they paid enough?
And don't get me started on the spitting
Urgh.
WWordsworth
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » July 8th, 2018, 10:23 pm

The smashing of Ikea stuff is disgraceful, those responsible should be named and shamed and banned! GS will be very disappointed. Hoping that this behaviour is not going to put a negative on what has so far been such a positive England experience. Hooligans, not fans, and they should be ashamed of themselves.

Spitting does not bother me. It's something that has to happen as part of a very heavy exercise session, in some! I mean, you don't see Harry Kane spit so I'd love to know how he manages to keep it in! :kneel:

Regarding blatant fouls and dives. If the coach allows such filthy play to disgrace his team, a player takes a chance when he decides to try and trick the ref. I can't remember which player it was, or which match, but he was going in for a header just outside the goal and was so busy trying to make a fair defensive move on him look like a penalty that he missed the header. What a numpty because had he scored a fair goal, it would have turned the whole result around for his team and country! Boooooo!
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby dennispc » July 9th, 2018, 8:27 am

IKEA’s twitter feed said
“We are aware of a small group of fans celebrating the match result in one of our stores. Being both British and Swedish, we were on the edge of our seats during the game and we would like to say ‘grattis’.(that’s congratulations in Swedish) to the England team for getting through the semi-finals. In celebration, we’ve put one of our nation’s favourite dishes, fish and chips, on offer for just £1.”

That’s more than decent.

However, the main story shouldn’t be IKEA but some fans trashed an ambulance car - parked in case anyone needed medical help. There are photos of a woman jumping on the bonnet and another of two men jumping on the roof. The photos are clear so Police should be able to find them - I’d charge them with criminal damage and pay the cost, that's a NHS emergency vehicle out of action.

In contrast, some of you will have seen footage of Japanese supporters clearing up their litter and the Japan team tidied up their dressing room and before leaving left a letter to thank the Stadium staff for looking after them. What an example.
dennispc
Registered

Postby StokeySue » July 9th, 2018, 9:32 am

There's a picture going round of a stupid young woman dancing on an ambulance service vehicle in the Borough (Southwark) during post match excitement. She and her imbecilic chums did a lot of damage to an emergency vehicle and the Met are trying to identify them
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » July 9th, 2018, 7:54 pm

Latest on this is that Millwall Football club have started a collection to repair/replace the ambulance :tu:
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby Grasshopper » July 9th, 2018, 8:20 pm

Yes, the Japanese are a shining example of good behaviour, are they not. I sometimes come across oriental students at 'W' and they are VERY polite.
:bounce:
Grasshopper

Grasshopper
Registered

Postby WWordsworth » July 10th, 2018, 4:07 pm

A cabin crew pal enjoyed Tokyo flights as the aircraft cabin was still clean and tidy on landing.
WWordsworth
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » July 10th, 2018, 11:56 pm

Well done France.

Eek! :scared:
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » July 11th, 2018, 12:35 pm

You should have been here last night Tezza. Eeeeeek indeed :scared:
Ratatouille
Registered

Return to The Coffee Shop