pastel de nata

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

pastel de nata

Postby scullion » July 7th, 2018, 1:16 am

i love these.
they had them in 'the canteen' at wheal kitty (a part of st agnes) where i went for a coffee with a friend the other day. i had one there.

today, i was made a very happy bunny when i found some in the fresh bakery section in lidl, in helston. i bought the last five in the tray. i do hope they continue to stock them.
Last edited by scullion on July 7th, 2018, 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
scullion
Registered

Re: pastel de nata

Postby beldubby » July 7th, 2018, 6:14 am

We always have one from Butler's Chocolate Café at Dublin airport. I usually save mine for eating on the plane - OH always scoffs his straightaway!
beldubby
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » July 7th, 2018, 9:21 am

My old neighbour who is from Portugal used to make them and bring some round. She left the recipe for me when she moved.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » July 7th, 2018, 10:20 am

I first came across these when I lived in Hong Kong in the early 70's …. I loved them then and I still have to buy one whenever I go to China Town … I have only recently found out that they are from Portugal though :aww: :oops: :rolleyes:
Last edited by PatsyMFagan on July 8th, 2018, 7:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby scullion » July 7th, 2018, 10:33 am

or lidl !
scullion
Registered

Postby Badger's mate » July 7th, 2018, 10:38 am

We love them. They are available at Great Amwell farmers' market, and also whenever we go to Kew we buy them from the stall outside the station. I've made them a couple of times, quite passably. They used to make them at Hambleton bakery, which we visit whenever we're passing (and pass whenever we can :D ) but the scamps don't do them any more.
Badger's mate
Registered

Postby StokeySue » July 7th, 2018, 10:43 am

I love them too
We had them in Belem (where the best version supposedly originates) and in Lisbon they were on the breakfast buffet

I'm often disappointed with ones sold in London, yhey suffer from soggy bottoms, and I have thought of making them, but I seldom need a whole batch.
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Badger's mate » July 7th, 2018, 10:45 am

Need has got nothing to do with it...
Badger's mate
Registered

Postby mum-at-the-oven » July 7th, 2018, 11:18 am

Our Co-Op do them on the bakery section and they're quite good.

Thanks for the Great Amwell farmers market tip BM :tu:
mum-at-the-oven
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » July 7th, 2018, 11:35 am

I have been to Lisbon twice. An excellent reason for going! I haven't seen them in the Coop :o.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby liketocook » July 7th, 2018, 11:44 am

Love, love, love these :D , Jamie Oliver's ones from 30 minute meals while not authentic do hit the spot :)
liketocook
Registered

Postby suffolk » July 7th, 2018, 11:46 am

The deli on Southwold High Street sells lovely ones ... I often used to bring a couple home after visiting the Aged Ps .... don't go to Southwold as often now of course, so don't get to have our treat very often :(
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby mum-at-the-oven » July 7th, 2018, 11:51 am

earthmaiden wrote: I haven't seen them in the Coop .

Our Co-Op don't do many and they're usually on a little stand beside the bakery rolls and sausage rolls. They are in individual boxes and you have to peer through the window at the top of the box to see what they are! I don't know why they don't really advertise them more.
mum-at-the-oven
Registered

Postby Badger's mate » July 7th, 2018, 12:09 pm

I might just take a trip to the Co-op. Will try the one at Stanstead Abbotts first, though
Badger's mate
Registered

Postby Prettykiwicrazy » July 7th, 2018, 7:56 pm

Our co-op do them. Probably one of the best things about it!! I’m pretty much guaranteed to choose them over anything else at a cafe etc
Prettykiwicrazy
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » July 7th, 2018, 11:52 pm

I'll be checking the bakery in our Co-op tomorrow. I do love a custard tart, and the ones JO did always catch my attention. :drool:
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » July 8th, 2018, 7:47 am

Ooh, will have to look in the 3 Co-ops in my locality … We have a co-op right next door to the Antique shop, so that's very tempting ! :chops: :bounce:
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby Seatallan » July 8th, 2018, 10:48 am

Our local co-op does them (they sell them individually from the baker bit). Jolly nice they are too. :chops:
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » July 8th, 2018, 11:01 am

liketocook wrote:Love, love, love these :D , Jamie Oliver's ones from 30 minute meals while not authentic do hit the spot :)

Hmmm ...I have this book and just looked in it for this recipe - can't find any reference to them :? :?: :?: :?: Have I missed something ?
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby scullion » July 8th, 2018, 11:09 am

i don't have the book so i found the video clip from the programme online. they look a little different but i wouldn't say no if i was offered one.
scullion
Registered

Postby liketocook » July 8th, 2018, 11:18 am

PatsyMFagan wrote:
liketocook wrote:Love, love, love these :D , Jamie Oliver's ones from 30 minute meals while not authentic do hit the spot :)

Hmmm ...I have this book and just looked in it for this recipe - can't find any reference to them :? :?: :?: :?: Have I missed something ?

P122 in my copy Pat - described as "quick portuguese tarts" :)
liketocook
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » July 8th, 2018, 11:49 am

liketocook wrote:
PatsyMFagan wrote:

P122 in my copy Pat - described as "quick portuguese tarts" :)

:oops: Thanks … who would have thought to look in the index under 'Quick Portuguese Tarts' :? :rolleyes:
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby liketocook » July 8th, 2018, 11:54 am

PatsyMFagan wrote:

P122 in my copy Pat - described as "quick portuguese tarts" :)[/quote]

:oops: Thanks … who would have thought to look in the index under 'Quick Portuguese Tarts' :? :rolleyes:[/quote]
Me neither !! Thankfully remembered they were paired with peri peri chicken :)
liketocook
Registered

Postby aero280 » July 8th, 2018, 7:43 pm

Went to the Kimbolton Country Fayre today. Apart from the Classic Car Show, there were "craft stalls".

One was selling Pastel de Nata. I bought some for tea. I blame you lot!! ;)
http://www.saabtechtalk.com/
aero280
Site Admin

Postby TeresaFoodie » July 8th, 2018, 10:38 pm

Oh aero. Poor you. I bet your arm was twisted right round your back. :lol:

Our Co-op do have a basket for these but their bread and pastries sell out really quickly. Note of that made for future reference. :wink:
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » July 9th, 2018, 7:50 pm

None to be found in the Co-op in the village this afternoon … plenty of other cakes/doughnuts etc :(
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » July 10th, 2018, 9:45 am

Also none to be found in the Co-op next to shop in Croxley Green either - not even a named space that is empty ! :o … only one other shop to visit and that is in Denham Green …
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby mum-at-the-oven » July 10th, 2018, 2:13 pm

DD's OH's Father works in the bakery at the Co-Op. He's away on holiday at the moment but I shall ask him if he has any inside knowledge to pass on :tu:
mum-at-the-oven
Registered

Postby suffolk » July 10th, 2018, 2:27 pm

mum-at-the-oven wrote:DD's OH's Father works in the bakery at the Co-Op. He's away on holiday at the moment but I shall ask him if he has any inside knowledge to pass on :tu:

Does he have any influence as well? ;)
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » July 10th, 2018, 5:38 pm

mum-at-the-oven wrote:DD's OH's Father works in the bakery at the Co-Op. He's away on holiday at the moment but I shall ask him if he has any inside knowledge to pass on :tu:

It would be interesting to find out where and why some shops sell them and others don't :?
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » July 10th, 2018, 6:03 pm

I thought that much of the fresh produce (of all sorts, including cakes) at Coop stores was quite localised. Thus I can quite see why not everyone will find them in their Coop (though the original poster 're the tarts does appear not to be a million miles from some that have commented!).
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby scullion » July 10th, 2018, 7:17 pm

I don't know where any co-ops are, near me, other than in truro and i don't think I'll go all the way there on the off chance. I'll just keep my fingers crossed they've got more in Lidl on friday. I could do with one right now, I think it could go quite well with my glass of port.
scullion
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » July 11th, 2018, 7:50 am

I found out by doing a Google search a few days ago that we have a well established bakery in town. Yippee!

http://www.prudensbakery.com/shops.html

I've been walking past it nearly every day for the past three months, thought it was just a cafe! I'll be popping in today to see if they sell these custardy treats, and to :drool: over their bread (not literally....well, I can only try). Their website doesn't indicate as such, but I'm going in anyway! I'll check out Co-op again on the way.
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby StokeySue » July 11th, 2018, 7:55 am

Much as I like pasteis de nata, there's a lot to be said for the classic English custard tart, the M&S version is very good
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » July 11th, 2018, 8:08 am

Mmmm, now you're talking Sue! With lots of nutmeg. :chops:
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby beldubby » July 11th, 2018, 8:59 am

Scully - they had them in the Co-op in Truro this morning. I resisted the temptation to buy any - but then I had already bought Yum Yums & meringues in M&S!!
beldubby
Registered

Postby beldubby » July 11th, 2018, 8:59 am

Scully - they had them in the Co-op in Truro this morning. I resisted the temptation to buy any - but then I had already bought Yum Yums & meringues in M&S!!
beldubby
Registered

Postby Seatallan » July 11th, 2018, 12:07 pm

earthmaiden wrote:Mmmm, now you're talking Sue! With lots of nutmeg. :chops:

Oooh yes please! Pass one over here. :chops:
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby Badger's mate » July 11th, 2018, 1:19 pm

Has anyone ever had a go at making the Marcus Wareing recipe that he did for GBM?
Badger's mate
Registered

Postby KC2 » July 11th, 2018, 3:38 pm

StokeySue wrote:Much as I like pasteis de nata, there's a lot to be said for the classic English custard tart, the M&S version is very good

I've never hard a custard tart that matches a pastel de nata, I'm afraid - sounds as if I've been missing out! I must give the M & S version a go, Sue ... :hungry:
KC2
Registered

Postby patpoyntz » July 11th, 2018, 4:25 pm

KC2 wrote:
StokeySue wrote:Much as I like pasteis de nata, there's a lot to be said for the classic English custard tart, the M&S version is very good

I've never hard a custard tart that matches a pastel de nata, I'm afraid - sounds as if I've been missing out! I must give the M & S version a go, Sue ... :hungry:

I like both the ‘british’ custard tart and the portugese, and I have made both of them over the years...I think the portugese ones are much easier to make really, no chance of the custard going under the pastry, which can happen with the British ones, well it does with me anyway! However, I think they are so different, that you can’t really compare them. The first taste of a pastel de nata, in Belem, was a complete revelation to me, having been brought up on traditional custard tarts at home, and as I couldn’t find anything as nice back here, I started to make them. The problem is that it is hard to make less than a dozen, using bought puff pastry, and I find they are best eaten straight away, however I have very nice neighbours who will take any spares!
patpoyntz
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » July 11th, 2018, 7:13 pm

KC2 wrote:

Before I ever discovered Pastel de Nata, I loved our own custard tarts …. however, they have paled in comparison to the Portuguese variation ;) :lol: :chops: :hungry:
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby KC2 » July 11th, 2018, 8:21 pm

patpoyntz wrote:
KC2 wrote:

I like both the ‘british’ custard tart and the portugese, and I have made both of them over the years...I think the portugese ones are much easier to make really, no chance of the custard going under the pastry, which can happen with the British ones, well it does with me anyway! However, I think they are so different, that you can’t really compare them. The first taste of a pastel de nata, in Belem, was a complete revelation to me, having been brought up on traditional custard tarts at home, and as I couldn’t find anything as nice back here, I started to make them. The problem is that it is hard to make less than a dozen, using bought puff pastry, and I find they are best eaten straight away, however I have very nice neighbours who will take any spares!

Do you use ready rolled puff pastry? And is your recipe complicated? Please do share it! Thx :D

And I envy your neighbours! You're welcome to lob a few this way next time you have a glut :lol:
KC2
Registered

Postby patpoyntz » July 12th, 2018, 10:07 am

Hi KC...yes I use ready rolled, all butter puff pastry.
First I make an egg custard in the usual way, and cook that until it is thickened and smooth. I use 3 large eggs, 100g caster sugar, 30g cornflour. I infuse 175ml milk and 225ml double cream with the pared rind of a lemon and vanilla extract. Cover with cling film and leave to cool a bit.
Unroll the pastry and cut in half cross-ways. Sprinkle one half with a little brown sugar and cinnamon. Put the other square of pastry on top, and roll up like a Swiss roll. Cut this into 12 slices. Flatten each slice with the heel of your hand, making a ‘Catherine wheel’ then roll each one out to about 3inches round, and put into a greased 12 hole muffin tin. Use slightly damp thumbs to even the pastry out and ease it up until it fills the holes...it needs to be quite thin.
Divide the custard out into the cases, and bake at 180C for about 20 mins, until the pastry is nice and brown and the custard is set. I find this temp and time does not give the brown spots, but if you want them, then flash under the grill, or I use a blow torch. If you cook them in the oven long enough to get the brown spots, then I find the custard is over cooked.
Leave to cool in the tins.
Even one neighbour who says she hates custard, likes these. They are not as good as those I’ve had in Portugal, but they are a good second I think.
patpoyntz
Registered

Postby KC2 » July 12th, 2018, 10:17 am

cheers PP! Thanks.
KC2
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » July 12th, 2018, 5:54 pm

I eventually found my Pastel de Nata today … at Waitrose and at 50% discount too ;) :tu: I had bought two, intending to have one today and one tomorrow, however, I was ravenous when I got home from the shop, so they both served as my late lunch. I have to admit to being slightly disappointed … not a patch on the tarts that I have bought in the past from the bakers opposite the Gerrard Café in China town :( Those are almost identical to the ones I remember from Hong Kong 45 years ago. I am itching to try to make my own as Patpoyntz has so kindly put her version on here … however, there is only me to eat them !!! :rolleyes: :chops:
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby StokeySue » July 13th, 2018, 11:04 am

I find the Chinatown ones too eggy, the Portuguese pastels de nata are called "cream" (nata) pastries because the are creamy, I think they are a bit different.
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby scullion » July 13th, 2018, 8:47 pm

they are becoming very popular, it seems. i bought half a dozen in lidl in helston, drove over the top to lidl at pool (helston was out of something i needed) but didn't have them at all there, not even a place on a shelf where they would have been, went over the road to morrison's for something else - and they had some there labeled portuguese tarts (sounded like an insult) - i hope morrison's still have them when i no longer need to go to helston on a friday.
scullion
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » July 14th, 2018, 5:44 am

Do you reckon you could freeze them? As I'm typing that I'm already thinking no....
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby beldubby » July 14th, 2018, 6:03 am

A few years ago M&S did them at Christmas - think they were small ones in their party food range. They had them on a 3 for 2 deal - I seem to remember that they froze quite successfully.
beldubby
Registered

Next

Return to The Coffee Shop