pastel de nata

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Re: pastel de nata

Postby PatsyMFagan » September 14th, 2018, 5:54 pm

It's a rare treat for me too, but I did stock up on essentials (brazil, almond and walnuts), Whole Earth peanut butter, set honey and Nairn oat cakes amongst them … Oh and something called Pimientos rellenos de bacalao … simply because I had never heard of it … :rolleyes:
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby suffolk » September 15th, 2018, 7:01 am

Oooh the pimientos sound lovely Patsy ...something to use with dried cod? ... let us know what they’re like and what you decide to do with them .... :drool:
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » September 15th, 2018, 7:34 am

I opened the tin yesterday evening … about 4 pimientos stuffed with (minced?) cod and in some sort of sauce .. they needed to be heated up, so I only had one to taste … not overwhelmed - one of those things better made fresh I think :| ;) :rolleyes:
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby suffolk » September 15th, 2018, 8:45 am

PatsyMFagan wrote:I opened the tin yesterday evening … about 4 pimientos stuffed with (minced?) cod and in some sort of sauce .. they needed to be heated up, so I only had one to taste … not overwhelmed - one of those things better made fresh I think :| ;) :rolleyes:

But it was one of life's little adventures :D
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » September 16th, 2018, 9:10 am

suffolk wrote:
PatsyMFagan wrote:I opened the tin yesterday evening … about 4 pimientos stuffed with (minced?) cod and in some sort of sauce .. they needed to be heated up, so I only had one to taste … not overwhelmed - one of those things better made fresh I think :| ;) :rolleyes:

But it was one of life's little adventures :D

OH yes ... if I hadn't bought and tried it I would never have known ;) :lol:
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » September 16th, 2018, 1:13 pm

Well we tried the frozen Picard ones at unch time and they were gorgeous. Every bit as good as the ones our Potugese neighbour used to bring us. They have to be cooked in a very hot oven for 25 minutes - then left for 10 or so before eating.

They will be added to the list of great things to have in the freezer :chops: :chops: :chops:
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby KC2 » September 25th, 2018, 3:33 pm

Finally managed to get the Co-op ones today - thank you so much whoever it was that gave the heads-up on them, really excellent, and at 79p each a bargain, compared with the usual £1.45+!
Happened to be at Lidl a few days ago and looked there, but there weren't any. However, they already had their full-size panettone and pandoro in stock (none of the mini ones yet) so got those for the festive season ... in September .... eek!
KC2
Registered

Postby Busybee » September 28th, 2018, 11:44 am

We are in Madeira, plenty here it’s just a case of deciding which cafe to use?

Decisions, decisions.... BB
Busybee
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » September 28th, 2018, 1:40 pm

It's a hard life! :lol:
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby suffolk » September 28th, 2018, 2:11 pm

Busybee wrote:We are in Madeira, plenty here it’s just a case of deciding which cafe to use?

Have a few for me :chops:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby KC2 » September 28th, 2018, 4:07 pm

suffolk wrote:
Busybee wrote:We are in Madeira, plenty here it’s just a case of deciding which cafe to use?

Have a few for me :chops:

and me :chops: :lol:
KC2
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » October 4th, 2018, 9:45 am

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: I found them this morning in the Co-op next to the (antique) shop, so I bought the last 2 - still warm - and the one I had for my breakfast was absolutely delicious :chops: :chops: I also bought their sourdough bread - I know it won't be totally authentic, but the last one I had was really enjoyable. I watched Nigella last night making a fried sandwich of brie, figs and parma ham. It looked delicious, so I now have the ingredients, but will be subbing the ham with dry-cured streaky bacon just lightly fried :hungry: :hungry: :hungry:
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » October 4th, 2018, 9:51 am

Ah! Your Coops must have bakeries! Ours is a large store but no bakery and I am still waiting to see pastel de nata in there.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » October 4th, 2018, 10:09 am

earthmaiden wrote:Ah! Your Coops must have bakeries! Ours is a large store but no bakery and I am still waiting to see pastel de nata in there.

I'm surprised that if yours is a large store em, that there is no bakery section … this co-op is literally a corner shop. I doubt they have a bakery on the premises, but presuming the bread delivery had only just arrived :? :?
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » October 4th, 2018, 10:11 am

Yes, there is a bakery section but not one where anything would be bought still warm!
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby StokeySue » October 4th, 2018, 10:31 am

I was very tempted to buy the Picard pasteis de nata as they are in the limited range of Picard products sold by Ocado
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » October 4th, 2018, 12:04 pm

We had a couple last night Sue and they are rather good :chops:
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby Busybee » October 4th, 2018, 2:41 pm

Well we have sampled many in various Portuguese territories, and the winner is...........definitely Lisbon. You literally can’t move without falling over them, ubiquitous, seem to be sold in every bakery bar and restaurant.

Delicious.

Think some serious weight loss regime needs to be embarked upon our return next week.

BB
Busybee
Registered

Postby suffolk » October 4th, 2018, 3:12 pm

PatsyMFagan wrote:I watched Nigella last night making a fried sandwich of brie, figs and parma ham. It looked delicious,

Didn't it just .... :drool:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » October 4th, 2018, 3:15 pm

suffolk wrote:
PatsyMFagan wrote:I watched Nigella last night making a fried sandwich of brie, figs and parma ham. It looked delicious,

And delicious it was too … the sourdough bread certainly made it … so crunchy (crispy ?) after frying in butter and oil !

Oh and just to keep it on topic, the co-op Pastel de nata has been the best so far for me :chops: :chops: :chops: . Of course, never had one from Portugal or Picard ;)
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby KC2 » October 4th, 2018, 4:08 pm

suffolk wrote:

Was that Nigella a repeat? I think I remember her doing a sarnie like that in a previous series and it did look utterly delicious, if not the healthiest of sarnies ;)
KC2
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » October 5th, 2018, 7:26 am

KC2 wrote:Was that Nigella a repeat? I think I remember her doing a sarnie like that in a previous series and it did look utterly delicious, if not the healthiest of sarnies

Yes I think it was

btw: I have sent you a pm …. ;)
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby KC2 » October 5th, 2018, 3:17 pm

PatsyMFagan wrote:
KC2 wrote:Was that Nigella a repeat? I think I remember her doing a sarnie like that in a previous series and it did look utterly delicious, if not the healthiest of sarnies

Yes I think it was

btw: I have sent you a pm …. ;)

Ah, thanks for alerting me Patsy- I looked and it was in spam!
KC2
Registered

Previous

Return to The Coffee Shop