Windows Defender? Techy advice please ....

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Windows Defender? Techy advice please ....

Postby KC2 » July 7th, 2018, 10:08 am

I've just had a pop up on my laptop that Windows didn't find an antivirus programme and has told me to turn on Windows Defender or look for an antivirus programme online.

I honestly don't know if I have one on here or not. I think I pay for McAffee on my desktop but don't use it very often now. And I think you have to pay for each separate computer don't you? I'm pretty hopeless at all this so any advice would be gratefully received!

Does anyone know if is Windows Defender is legit or if this is actually a scam!

Thank you!
KC2
Registered

Re: Windows Defender? Techy advice please ....

Postby scullion » July 7th, 2018, 10:38 am

there is a program called defender in windows, can't remember if it's an antivirus etc or a firewall (well there was when i was using vista) but you can still download an antivirus program for your laptop on top of that.
avg and avast both do a good, free, antivirus package. i use avast on this laptop and used avg on my old vista one.
scullion
Registered

Postby KC2 » July 7th, 2018, 11:07 am

Thanks scully!
I resisted moving to Windows 10 and so still use 7, which I'm perfectly happy with.
KC2
Registered

Postby StokeySue » July 7th, 2018, 11:50 am

You should turn it on, it's an integral part of the Windows protection
Good description in Wiki
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Defender

You probably should upgrade from 7 to 10, it's a big change but already some programs aren't updating the 7 version - it takes all day so let it run when you are baking bread or reading a good book as well!

You need antivirus as well. If you have it, there will likely be an icon in the sytem tray, the clusterof tiny icons round the date, you may have to click on each in turn to identify it.

In my opinion, connecting a Microsoft PC to the internet without antivirus and back up is much the same as standing in the street waving a bunch of bank notes and shouting "Mug me!"

If you already have a McAfee subscription a second device should be at a reduced price I think, I'm sure we had a sub that covered 2 or 3 machines at one point
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby KC2 » July 7th, 2018, 1:46 pm

Thanks Sue, what I don't understand is why these messages suddenly appeared, and didn't reappear when I restarted my laptop.
I had a feeling that I had one of those free anti-virus softwares on this machine but there isn't an icon in the system tray.

I've had this machine for 6+ years and I've certainly never had a message about Windows Defender or any lack of virus protection before.

I'll check out my McAfee subscription - I never do anything as it automatically renews and charges me each year.
KC2
Registered

Postby KC2 » July 8th, 2018, 2:02 pm

Well, Windows Defender (re)installed - it apparently uninstalled itself in April (?) and AVG Basic installed - I am certain I've used AVG in the past, just can't remember on which of the various computers I've had over the years!
KC2
Registered

Postby StokeySue » July 9th, 2018, 9:48 am

That sounds better! :D
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby KC2 » July 9th, 2018, 5:36 pm

Yes, I'm much happier - it came as a bit of a shock to suddenly have those messages pop up! :o
KC2
Registered

Return to The Coffee Shop