Chinese salad dressing

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Chinese salad dressing

Postby PatsyMFagan » July 27th, 2018, 5:20 pm

Tomorrow I am doing lunch for my sister, her husband and my ex SiL who is visiting from Vegas … I am taking this opportunity to use up from the freezer a half, Peking style duck bought from a Chinese supermarket earlier this year along with pancakes, (HM) Hoisin sauce and Cheung Fun, but really want to do a salad dressed with a Chinese flavour dressing rather than a stir fry. I already have Pak/Bok Choi, spring onions, carrots and bean sprouts … To make the dressing I have tahani, peanut butter, soy sauce, (dark and light) Chinese cooking wine, toasted sesame oil, oyster sauce, fish sauce, so any combination of these … will a combination of these work ?
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Re: Chinese salad dressing

Postby earthmaiden » July 27th, 2018, 5:32 pm

In my wholefood restaurant days we used to make a salad with mushrooms and bean sprouts. The dressing was just oil (a flavourless vegetable oil) and soy sauce. I think the ratio was about 1 oil to 3 soy. We marinaded the mushrooms in the dresssing and added it all to the beansprouts at the last minute. I have often made it since by just adding soy sauce and no oil but it is probably better with oil.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby suffolk » July 27th, 2018, 5:33 pm

I tend to use a simple combination of toasted sesame oil and light soy with a squeeze or two of lime juice.
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby StokeySue » July 27th, 2018, 5:41 pm

I have a bottle of Lee Kim Kee Sesame dressing :oops:

If not using that I tend just to use a mix of light soy, lime juice or Chiankiang vinegar, a pinch of sugar, and less sesame oil than you’d think, that’s pretty much what is in the LKK stuff. Then finish the salad with finely sliced spring onion, coriander or Thai basil or mint + / -ordinary basil. And little rings of mild chilli. Cut all veg to bits not much bigger than the bean sprouts and dress at the last minute.
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » July 27th, 2018, 6:07 pm

Oh yes! We didn't have sesame oil in those days but that's what I'd use now.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » July 27th, 2018, 6:11 pm

Those all sound lovely ..,. thanks for the tips ;) :tu:
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » July 29th, 2018, 6:28 am

Hope the meal was a success Pats, sorry I was not able to offer you advice on the phone, hope Lord Google gave inspiration for using the stuff you bought at Wing Yip. Our lunch guests were due to arrive so was in a bit on a hurry.
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » July 31st, 2018, 12:12 pm

Lunch was a resounding success... My sister entertains all the time and is becoming a legend in her own lifetime :rolleyes: I only asked her and hubby as an afterthought when I realised that the vac packed (in China) half peking duck would probably stretch from 2 to 4 helpings... I also had Cheung Fun in the freezer, but called Zosh in panic as I really thought she had bought some at the same time as me (in the same supermarket after one of our Wildie meets ;) ) .. I didn't know a) how to cook/reheat it and b) what else I could serve with it. I had already settled on frying off some whole, raw tiger prawns with a chopped chilli and a couple of spoons out of the jar of my HM Shakshuka (I know, I know, not at all authentic), but when the cheung fun had defrosted it already had a bit of filling, so I just added the shelled and chopped prawns mixture. My bamboo steamer came into it's own with this and the pancakes. :tu: :hi5: :hungry: :chops:

Sorry, meant to add the Chinese style salad was also well received, so many thanks for the dressing tips ... in fact there was only a small portion of this left in the bottom of the salad bowl ;)
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby Seatallan » July 31st, 2018, 5:06 pm

Well done indeed Patsy! :D

It all sounds delicious... :hungry:
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » July 31st, 2018, 10:37 pm

Yes, sounds like it all dove tailed beautifully !
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby karadekoolaid » July 31st, 2018, 11:05 pm

Well done Patsy. Nothing like a good meal off the cuff!

A while back I read an article about some chefs from San Francisco who invited some Chinese chefs to share their experiences. Each group visited the other in their countries. One of the things I remember very clearly was the our Western concept of "salad" does not exist in Chinese cuisine.ALL their vegetables are cooked. Strange but true!
" Bite off more than you can chew, then chew like Hell!"
karadekoolaid
Registered

Postby StokeySue » August 1st, 2018, 7:33 am

There’s cooked and cooked though - in China it seems that cooking can be just plunging the veg into hot stock or water immediately before serving
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » August 1st, 2018, 7:45 am

I learnt about oriental salad dressings when attending Moon's Vietnamese cooking sessions. The shredded salads seem to be more common in what used to be called Indo China.

Moira
When life gives you lemons, make sorbet
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » August 1st, 2018, 8:43 am

karadekoolaid wrote:One of the things I remember very clearly was the our Western concept of "salad" does not exist in Chinese cuisine.ALL their vegetables are cooked. Strange but true!

I discovered that when I did an online search … I even tracked down our own Sunflower's blog, but the closest I could come to a salad dressing was a marinade … my dressing contained most of the oriental type stuff I had in the fridge and larder, with some additions taken from the various suggestions on here … :tu: :chef: :bounce: I don't think I could re-create it again :rolleyes:
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby StokeySue » August 1st, 2018, 9:45 am

This is the info about the LKK Sesame Dressing I have including some recipes.

https://www.uk.lkk.com/products (I think that link may go to the main product page but scroll down)

A UK Chinese flat mate, years ago, used to blanch bean sprouts very, very briefly before using them cold - just into boiling water then drain and refresh almost at once. Still just as crunchy but better flavour, I don’t always bother but it is better IMO
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » August 1st, 2018, 9:53 am

thanks Sue :tu:
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby karadekoolaid » August 1st, 2018, 12:41 pm

I use more or less the same stuff as you, Patsy; what ever is in the cupboard.Some combination of sweet, sour, acid, and aromatic.
In the courses I give, however, I try to get as close to "authentic" as possible. Here´s a dressing for Indonesian Gado-Gado:
1 tbsp fish sauce
4-5 hot peppers
200 gms unsalted peanuts
1 tbsp minced ginger
2 tbsps palm sugar or brown sugar
2 tbsps lime juice or tamarind water
salt.
Blend all the ingredients together and pour over the (cooked) vegetables. Add a little extra water if necessary.

And a recipe for Rudjak dressing ( Rudjak is a fruit salad, with cucumber):
1 tsp fish sauce
3 tbsps tamarind water
4 tbsps palm sugar
1 tsp salt
My salad includes mango, pineapple, peaches, green chile peppers - and cucumber.

Finally, the dressing for Thai Som Tum salad ( Som Tum means "bitter" and "crushed")
2 red chiles
1 tbsp dried shrimp
1 1/2 tbsps fish sauce
1 clove garlic
Juice of 1 lime
1 1/2 tbsps palm sugar
karadekoolaid
Registered

Postby StokeySue » August 1st, 2018, 1:03 pm

This is Lizzie Mabbut's interesting take on a Chinese style salad, she also has a good recipe for a basic Thai beef salad (Lizzie = Holowlegs = schmoofaloof)

I have a jar of Turkish aubergines for salad, I fiancée a bit of fusion perhaps
https://lizzieeatslondon.blogspot.com/2018/05/steamed-aubergine-salad.html
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » August 2nd, 2018, 11:57 am

Perhaps I should be posting this on the relevant thread ( ;) ), but augergines are something that I just don't 'get' I sometimes buy one with the plan to do something wonderful with it, but always end up putting it in a moussaka … however, I find the skins invariably are tough as shoe leather and even more so with the ones I have in the freezer :o :? :rolleyes: Are jarred ones a better bet ?
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » August 2nd, 2018, 11:58 am

karadekoolaid wrote:I use more or less the same stuff as you, Patsy; what ever is in the cupboard.Some combination of sweet, sour, acid, and aromatic.In the courses I give, however, I try to get as close to "authentic" as possible. Here´s a dressing for Indonesian Gado-Gado:

Thanks Clive ... I have added your recommendations to my email recipe list ;)
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby StokeySue » August 2nd, 2018, 2:17 pm

I haven’t got to the jar of aubergines yet, but I was mainly linking to Lizzie’s recipe as a good example of a dressing from an Anglo-Chinese cook. :D
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby karadekoolaid » August 2nd, 2018, 8:30 pm

Here´s a little story from Venezuela.
A few years ago, I went to Margarita Is. on holiday. My wife´s cousin lives there. After dinner one night, he brought out a jar of something "unknown" and told me to try it. It was based on a traditional Venezuelan recipe called " Dulce de Lechosa" - green papaya (pawpaw) - cooked for several hours in raw cane sugar, (papelón in Venezuela) a few spices and (occasionally) a shot of rum.
Yes, you´ve guessed right; the sweet was made with aubergines, and it was delicious. If you can find Indian jaggery or gur, it would work. The aubergines must be peeled before cooking.
karadekoolaid
Registered

Return to The Coffee Shop