I have a cat!

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

I have a cat!

Postby Meganthemog » August 8th, 2018, 1:34 pm

DD and GS came to stay two weeks ago - they are moving to Swansea next month :bounce:
He went for a taster session at his new nursery school and on the walk home met a cat. Said cat followed him the 100 yards to home and spent the afternoon playing together in the garden. In the night I shut the door and thought no more of it until the morning when cat was on the doorstep. GS was delighted to see his little friend and they continued to play. Poor little thing was very hungry so my DD bought a little sachet of food and it devoured it. That night we couldn't let it sleep outside again so it stayed ..................... 2 weeks on it has got its paws firmly under the table!
I have taken it to the vet - no chip. I have posted its pic on all the relevant missing cat sites etc Cats Protection have put it out on their social media etc etc. It looks like we now have a cat!
She is very sweet and loves a cuddle, but will give me a swift swipe when she's had enough.
I wonder if a local family have gone on holiday and left the cat to be cared for by a neighbour but she's happier with company. I am going to put some notices around the area to see if we can get her home - if not she's welcome to stay with me until DD gets her new home and then GS can take over.
Cat 1 (2).jpg
Meganthemog
Registered

Re: I have a cat!

Postby StokeySue » August 8th, 2018, 1:46 pm

She's a little poppet :luv:

I wouldn't be surprised if you are right, and she has wondered off because home alone during holidays

Enjoy
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » August 8th, 2018, 1:48 pm

She looks so like our Jules - but aren't people irresponsible?.
Je pense, donc je suis. - Decartes
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby StokeySue » August 8th, 2018, 1:58 pm

Ratatouille wrote: but aren't people irresponsible?.

Depends on whether she was abandoned, or she just walked because she was bored in an empty house - Rajah used to do that sometimes Sylvia over the road used to bring him back - he was always well fed and cared for, just not a fan of his own company
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby suffolk » August 8th, 2018, 2:00 pm

She is lovely :D and obviously knows which side her bread is buttered :D just as long as she's not expecting :shock: :scared: they sometimes get turned out because of that ... :evil:
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Meganthemog » August 8th, 2018, 2:06 pm

suffolk wrote:She is lovely :D and obviously knows which side her bread is buttered :D just as long as she's not expecting :shock: :scared: they sometimes get turned out because of that ... :evil:
:scared: :scared:
Meganthemog
Registered

Postby suffolk » August 8th, 2018, 2:09 pm

DD adopted a cat who had been living in her garden shed for months ... she was pure white and had a front leg missing ... after six months of giving her increasing amounts of care and having had no response to notices on telegraph poles and in shop windows and the local vets knew nothing she decided to let her into the house ... she had her for two years and loved her very much ... then one day a man knocked on her door and said it was his cat ... he said he'd been looking and looking but hadn't seen her notices ... everything he said made sense including how she lost the missing leg (paralysis due to a stroke so the vet advised amputation) and his neighbour vouched for him, so DD gave him the cat ... it was nearly Christmas and DD was miserable ... on Christmas Eve she went around to his house with a stocking of presentsl for the cat ... the owner was sooooooo pleased to see her .... he said the cat had been miserable, hiding from the other cats and trying to get out of the door every time it was opened. He asked if DD would like the cat back .............. would she?????!!!!!! :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: She took her straight home ... the cat was as happy as Larry to be back, and they had a lovely Christmas.

They were together for quite a few years until the cat died of another stroke.

Our lovely friend Chinch found another perfect cat for DD ............ and then another stray turned up in the garden shed .......... DD now has two cats ............. :lol:
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Chinchilla_lady » August 8th, 2018, 3:02 pm

Have you taken her to the vet to see if she is mirco-chipped? Although this is not 100%, we had a cat brought in to CP who was chipped, we contacted the owner listed who swore blind that she had never had a cat, and it was nothing to do with her. Happily, Lady Kitty was re-homed to a lovely family, name of owner duly changed with chip register people. :luv: :luv: And of course a vet will be able to tell you if the patter of tiny feet is on the horizon too.

Addicted to White Cats
Chinchilla_lady
Registered

Postby Meganthemog » August 8th, 2018, 3:18 pm

We've been to the vet - no chip. I will take her next week if she's still ours and have her vaccinated and chipped - if she's not been spayed that will be taken care of too. She is currently on my sofa in the office - snoring loudly :lol:
Meganthemog
Registered

Postby Chinchilla_lady » August 8th, 2018, 3:23 pm

Ahh, she has truly found her place, Happy Days :luv: :luv: :luv:

Addicted to White Cats
Chinchilla_lady
Registered

Postby jrc » August 8th, 2018, 3:25 pm

Aww bless :luv:
jrc
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » August 8th, 2018, 3:58 pm

Lovely, lovely, lovely! :bounce: Sounds like there is very much a sensible plan in place here with everyone happy, including the cat! Does she have a name yet? :luv:
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Seatallan » August 8th, 2018, 4:44 pm

She's adorable. Just look at that dear little face.... :luv:

I think she's here to stay. If in the space of a fortnight no one local has put up 'missing cat' posters I'd be willing to bet she's either wandered a long way or has been abandoned. So glad she's found you. :hug:
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » August 8th, 2018, 5:33 pm

What a sweetie! I hope no-one comes forward :hug:
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Grasshopper » August 8th, 2018, 7:30 pm

What a pretty puss! And Suffs, what a lovely story!
:bounce:
Grasshopper
Spring ventures forth to plant the grain
And Summer dries the straw
Autumn gathers in the harvest
And Winter shuts the door

Grasshopper
Registered

Postby Bubbles » August 8th, 2018, 7:52 pm

Like Suff's daughter, we found ours living in our wood store in the coldest of winters. I bought food for her then, later kitten food as she produced a tiny kitten. Mum and kitten came to the windowsill for food but a few months later she produced another litter of 5. They then graduated to the garage where we had a heat lamp and blankets in cardboard boxes. Fast forward 7/ 8 years and we have the first kitten (female) and a male from the second litter. 3 were rehomed, mum was killed on the road a couple of years ago :cry: , and another male wandered off not long after I managed to get them inside, but before I had them chipped. We had a lot of help from the Cats Protection League with spaying and neutering, so I will always support them. Cats do definitely choose us. ;) We had no intention of getting a cat!
Bubbles
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » August 8th, 2018, 8:17 pm

A man knocked at my door one day and asked if I knew whose car was parked outside as he had heard a strange noise coming from the engine. Leaving the front door ajar I went out and we both peered under the car. A pretty little tortoiseshell cat walked out, stretching. She looked about her, walked through the front doorway and stayed until she died 20 years later. A litter of 4 kittens arrived a few weeks later, we kept one and six months later there was another litter from mum and one from the kitten so there was a total of 11 cats and kittens for a while :oops:. We ended up with a total of 4, they all lived to a good age.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » August 8th, 2018, 8:28 pm

Some lovely cat tails (tales) out there. Pretty cat Meg, hope she stays with you forever!
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby Prettykiwicrazy » August 8th, 2018, 8:53 pm

International cat day today as well !
Prettykiwicrazy
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » August 8th, 2018, 10:09 pm

Ahhh, lovely stories. :luv:

Seeing as it is International Cat Day I shall indulge....

About 15 years ago, never having owned a cat, moved into a house on 1st August with my partner who came from rural Wales where he'd lived on farm land properties all his life with many cats! We'd often discussed We'd get cats one day, and new landlord said we could. Well, sooner than we expected, on day one of moving in on that blisteringly hot day, we collapsed in the living room for the evening with front door wide open for air. I was on the sofa. All of a sudden we had company. The biggest, most beautiful, short haired grey cat strolled in, and without so much as giving either of us a glance, hopped up onto the back of my sofa, stretched a bit, got settled and fell asleep behind my head. Which was nice! Anyway, although we never encouraged this cat or feed it, we couldn't get rid of it. Not that we tried or anything!

One evening, the cat crept in through the cat flap and we heard foot (paw) steps run up the stairs, and on going to bed we could see a furry lump curled up underneath our bed and we all settled down. Usually after a nap the cat would go out during the night. Next morning there was still a furry lump underneath the bed. We both went to work and later found no change to the furry lump, still there but now awake. We could not entice the cat out. Something was up! So I went for a walk and started knocking on doors to see if anyone owned this cat. Someone was feeding it well and it wasn't us! Eventually someone answered a door and said it was their cat, Basil! They knew he had been sheltering somewhere as, when we had snow, he was coming home dry and warm. She was a lovely lady. She came to our house to entice him out, and as soon as he heard her voice he shot out from underneath the bed and ran down the stairs just on his front legs! I have never seen a cat do that! It came to light that poor little Baz had probably been hit by a car and his back end was badly damaged, hence he was hiding. So we didn't see him for a few weeks and thought the worse. (Sorry, this is going on a bit!) But one day I parked up after work and there was Baz walking down the street, back end fixed! We spent a bit more time with him, mainly in the garden, taking loads of photos of him, until we found that Baz and his family were selling and moving. When they moved, we missed him dreadfully! So we adopted our first two cats, four year old brothers Tigger and Sooty to fill the void! When we found out Basil's new address we sent a new home card filled with lots of photos that we had taken of him over that past year. And we got a letter back letting us know that he settling in to his new home well.

That was when I caught the cat bug! :grin: :luv:
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby StokeySue » August 8th, 2018, 10:11 pm

Unusually, my grandad used to acquire dogs like that

He went for a walk, and a little terrier followed him home. She stayed for a few days then his pub customers tracked down the farm she came from, and she was returned

A few days later she returned, closely followed by the farmer with her luggage. He did say he would like to stress she wasn’t running away from any form of abuse, she just preferred to be be grandpa’s pub dog than his farm dog. Grandpa said he knew, he wouldn’t let a mistreated dog play with the children

Tess stayed with him for many years, dozing behind the tv in the public bar.
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Meganthemog » August 9th, 2018, 9:07 am

Thank you all for your stories - it does seem that they find their own homes doesn't it?
I am a bit concerned as we are going away next week for one night. We'll be leaving at about 4 in the afternoon and will be back at about 7 the next evening. OH will fit a cat flap this weekend - is it ok to leave her with a supply of food and water and access to the outside for this length of time or should I try and find someone to come in to see her? My sister who I would normally ask is away at the moment and I don't have a neighbour I can ask.
Meganthemog
Registered

Postby StokeySue » August 9th, 2018, 9:13 am

I have often left cats overnight. I did invest in an automatic cat feeder eventually as I am often away for a single night
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » August 9th, 2018, 9:34 am

I used to leave my cats for the weekend sometimes. I did feel a bit concerned but nothing ever went wrong.

My only concern at your plan is leaving the new cat flap open so soon after installation. Will it be one with a chip which only allows your cat in and out? Otherwise you could get neighbourhood bullies or greedy cats coming in and not only upsetting your cat but eating her food. Obviously as time goes on you would recognise if this was happening.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Meganthemog » August 9th, 2018, 11:17 am

earthmaiden wrote:I used to leave my cats for the weekend sometimes. I did feel a bit concerned but nothing ever went wrong.

My only concern at your plan is leaving the new cat flap open so soon after installation. Will it be one with a chip which only allows your cat in and out? Otherwise you could get neighbourhood bullies or greedy cats coming in and not only upsetting your cat but eating her food. Obviously as time goes on you would recognise if this was happening.

I had no idea that there was so much technology available! It will probably be just a regular cat flap which will open onto a sort of outhouse - we'll have to make a space in the door of that for cat to exit. She's already been trying to get in and out via this so I don't think we'll have a problem.
I have just put up some posters locally - with this picture.
Cat Found.jpg
Meganthemog
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » August 9th, 2018, 12:06 pm

If there's an outhouse then the locals probably won't realise a cat flap has been installed! I do hope no-one claims her, even though if she is loved and missed by someone it is the right thing. :hug:
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby StokeySue » August 9th, 2018, 12:35 pm

That’s quite the Paddington Bear stare!

I had a magnetic cat flap (which is ok if the cat is comfortable with a colllar) as we got the odd cat from the flats next door, and the occasional fox, but agree, if it’s half indoors should be fined
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » August 9th, 2018, 1:12 pm

When I lived in block of flats I eventually acquired a garage. If I was going out in the evening I left the garage door up, there was nothing worth stealing except some plastic plant pots. Late one evening I drove the car into the garage, shut the door and went to my flat. I did not take the car out the following day, I walked to work. You know what is coming, two days later I opened the garage door and a cat shot out, it must have been sleeping at the back of the garage and I shut it in.
I never found out who owned the cat.

moira
When life gives you lemons, make sorbet
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » August 9th, 2018, 1:13 pm

I would not leave my tribe with access to outside overnight, we would have half of the worlds wildlife inside when we got back !

Just thankful we have the Cathcart Hotel for them. It gives us peace of mind and we don't worry about them while we are away. It has saved us a small fortune over the years and they are much happier.
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby scullion » August 9th, 2018, 2:24 pm

we think our pretty cat was 'adopted' by someone on a couple of occasions. she used to disappear during the day when she was feeding the kittens she'd had and return, briefly, to feed them a couple of times a day smelling of fags and roast dinner.
when they were grown (and all but the two we kept gone) she disappeared for a month, returning extremely overweight and not the sleek and springy cat she normally was - she couldn't even keep up with me on a walk down the lane! i put a sort of collar round her neck made out of masking tape (the easily torn paper type) with the message that she lives at .......... please don't feed her. a month or so later she again disappeared for a week (having lost most of the excess weight) and returned having obviously been overfed. we assumed she'd been kept in and fed, paws buttered or whatever so that she would stay in her 'new' home on both occasions. the next masking tape collar did the trick.
we have a couple of the gravity feeders that i have measured will last for at least ten days for three cats (we now have two cats). we have left them to fend for themselves for a week at a time. if we're away longer then we ask a friend/young to do a couple of checks in that period. the 'kittens' are ten years old now and are used to this treatment. they have so far not suffered from it and, like our first cat who we called 'six dinner sid', possibly have their usual round of easy touches (one of them often comes home of an evening smelling of perfume).
we are rural and they are used to the cat flap and roaming the garden and neighbouring fields at will so i think it would be cruel to shut them away in a cattery for that length of time. they don't bring wildlife in while we're away only, maybe, a present after we're back - a vole was left on the bathroom floor the day after our recent return.
scullion
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » August 9th, 2018, 2:33 pm

When my Tigger became ill and lost loads of weight due to an overactive thyroid and eventually died of the condition, it was only when a neighbour asked where he was, and I told her, she was quite upset. Unbeknown to us, not only was he stuffing himself silly in our house every day, he was also helping himself to the neighbour's cat's food! They didn't try to deter him. Mind you, i think his appetite was so huge they probably wouldn't have been able to! At the time though I wished that they had told us. We might have twigged sooner just how poorly he was.
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Seatallan » August 9th, 2018, 2:47 pm

Meganthemog, we've left our Ollie (and our previous cats) overnight on many occasions and they've all been fine. We just have a standard cat-flap.

Hope dear puss is with you for good. :luv:
Seatallan
Registered

Postby Meganthemog » August 9th, 2018, 4:01 pm

I've been quite ambivalent about having this cat until ............. I let her out this afternoon after lunch and she disappeared. I've been unable to settle down to do any work as I've had my attention on looking out for her. Just been to view a house for the second time for DD and was ridiculously excited to see that she was on the doorstep when I got back - cat not daughter :lol: :lol:
I think the little madam has made her way into my heart - me the dog lover :lol: :lol:
Thanks for all your messages - I am much happier about leaving her with a cat flap and several bowls of food to keep her going overnight.
I will also investigate the gravity feeder that Scully spoke of - but I'm not sure that she's that keen on dry food yet. She seems to like the moist food better.
Meganthemog
Registered

Postby StokeySue » August 9th, 2018, 4:15 pm

Rani tended to underweight and I used to leave a gravity feeder (and matching water) permanently set up but she got breakfast and supper of moist food. And anything she’d eat really. But I draw the line st cooking for them unless a medical diet!
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby StokeySue » August 9th, 2018, 6:09 pm

Talking of animals choosing a more upmarket home, our local news has just had a feature on Doorkins Magnificat, who moved into Southwark Cathedral, and has now been incorporated into the stone carvings

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-england-london-45057951/meet-doorkins-magnificat-the-cathedral-cat
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Meganthemog » August 13th, 2018, 8:43 am

Cat flap fitted and she has used it - although only to go out - she came back in through the front door :lol:
We went out last night leaving cat asleep on the sofa - when we got back she was sitting on our front wall waiting for us :luv:
I now have to teach her that it goes both ways!
I bought her a little bed - a bit like a cosy igloo but she only went in to inspect it then came out - I don't think she likes it - she seems to prefer our bed :lol:
Meganthemog
Registered

Postby Seatallan » August 13th, 2018, 12:05 pm

Meganthemog wrote:I bought her a little bed - a bit like a cosy igloo but she only went in to inspect it then came out - I don't think she likes it - she seems to prefer our bed :lol:

That's cats for you! :D
Seatallan
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » August 13th, 2018, 12:25 pm

I have always found that our previous cats and Jules liked to change their sleeping places depending on the weather and their mood. Jules is simply not allowed up to our bedroom but is allowed the run of the other two floors. He doesn't like the igloo thing we bought him but in winter he does like my clothes baskeyt with his blanket inside right next to the vent fro the woodburner. In summer he likes the second floor bedroom window ledge.

He has a magnetic collar for his cat flap which is on the second floor balcony and to get to it he climbs either the vine of the wisteria.

He has been left overnight but we have always had one of his local fan club aka temporary staff to come in and give him a cuddle and food - not to mention pussycat treats :lol:
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby Meganthemog » August 14th, 2018, 9:42 am

Ok you wise ones - here's another cat related question. Cat seems to only like the jelly in her food - she licks it all clean and leaves the bits. However she does eat her biscuits. Is there a cat food on the market that is mainly jelly? I don't really want to have to buy dozens of different ones just to find one that madam likes! I bought a pack of 40 Whiskers pouches - she's halfway through these so I will be stocking up again at the weekend.
I have spent the last couple of days trying to teach her to use her cat flap - the neighbours must be thinking I've lost the plot :lol: But with our impending night away I need to know that she is going to be able to get in and out.
Meganthemog
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » August 14th, 2018, 10:30 am

Going from experience, they love the jelly because that's the naughty bit, like us licking the cream off a cake! And it's trial and error. If she will eat Whiskas then I'd stick to that. When you say biscuits, do you mean dry food such as Iams? If she eats those then I wouldn't bother with wet. Far more nutritious and better for their teeth.

Good luck with the cat flap, although I wouldn't worry too much about one night. If she wants to get In, she'll get In! :hug:
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby StokeySue » August 14th, 2018, 10:43 am

Agree mostly with Tezza, but if she likes jelly / gravy it may be that she is thirsty?

I assume you are giving her access to fresh clean water, but some cats tend not to drink enough plain water in hotter weather. Like some old ladies. Just have to get as much liquid in as they will take and cross your fingers. One of my cats liked a little drink of cold milk straight from the fridge when hot and bothered, but none of the others have ever been interested,
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Meganthemog » August 14th, 2018, 10:52 am

Thanks Tezza - knowing her it is the naughtiness!
Sue she does drink a lot of water - I have a little bowl that I fill with water for her and I regularly have to refill it. I am making an appointment with the vet for her to check her out. I don't know if she's been spayed and I want to get her vaccinated against whatever the vet suggests. I will also get her chipped so that if she does wander off I know that I can get her back!
She is looking very fine - gorgeous glossy coat and bright eyes.
I have offered her milk several times but she's not been interested - I thought all cats drank milk!
Meganthemog
Registered

Postby StokeySue » August 14th, 2018, 10:54 am

That level of thirst sounds unfortunately like she might have a problem, but could easily be something fixable like mild cystitis.. Fingers crossed.
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Seatallan » August 14th, 2018, 12:02 pm

Mind you, some cats just seem to drink more than others (especially as they grow older). Our first cat drank so much that I replaced his wee cat drinking bowl with a doggy bowl. Admittedly he was a big lad but nevertheless. I checked it out with the vet and he had tests but there was nothing wrong with him.

As for the wet cat food- they're terrors for eating the jelly/gravy and leaving the bits. As Tezza says, if she's eating dry food there's no real need to give her wet as well but all ours have enjoyed having the choice of both.
Seatallan
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » August 14th, 2018, 12:52 pm

Meganthemog wrote:I thought all cats drank milk

Cats do not normally drink milk but you can buy Cat Milk, it is lactulose free, at great expense
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » August 14th, 2018, 12:57 pm

We were told never to give cats milk because they can't cope with the lactose. Arnold loved Kitty Milk but I'm sure that is just expensive marketing.

Some cats just don't like eating or drinking out of small bowls, they don't like burying their faces. jules has a plastic doggie bowl with suckers underneath to stop him shunting it round the floorHe also like fresh water being poured in from on high through a small watering can so he can hear the sound.
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby StokeySue » August 14th, 2018, 1:38 pm

Like humans cats tend to lose the ability to digest lactose (milk sugar) as they get older as they no longer make the lactase enzyme

Like humans, it affects different individuals in different ways

Sam cat, who liked the cold milk, was fine with all dairy products, but dairy can give some adult cats diarrhoea. Special lactose free milk is made and sold, marketed both for humans and cats. All cats should be fine with lactose free milk, some don't seem to need it. A lot of adult cats don't like milk

Cream is fine, as it is virtually sugar free, and I have supplemented the diets of elderly cats in need of more calories but not more protein with cream (in consultation with the vet)
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » August 14th, 2018, 2:07 pm

Megan, do you realise that you do not have a cat. A cat has taken you on as a member of its staff :lol:

Moira
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » August 14th, 2018, 2:29 pm

If your cat does need regular water (and she certainly will if fed dry cat food), I can highly recommend a little cat drinking fountain. It circulates the water so that the cat has a cascade of water to drink from all the time. One of the better things I spent money on for my cats (and still in use after 15 years as I gave it to a friend!). As for licking the jelly off food, they can get quite faddy about food. It has been suggested that Whiskas has something that smells attractive when first opened and licked but which goes when left with the licked lumps of food later. Mine always left that brand the most.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Meganthemog » August 14th, 2018, 3:35 pm

cyprusmoira wrote:Megan, do you realise that you do not have a cat. A cat has taken you on as a member of its staff :lol:

Moira

I am beginning to realise this! She woke us up this morning by sitting on our pillows and gently batting us with her paw :lol:

I am taking her to the vet so will have her thoroughly examined - appointment made for the morning. I think this might be an expensive guest!
Meganthemog
Registered

Next

Return to The Coffee Shop