I have a cat!

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Re: I have a cat!

Postby Seatallan » August 14th, 2018, 5:55 pm

Meganthemog wrote:She woke us up this morning by sitting on our pillows and gently batting us with her paw :lol:

:luv: :luv: :luv:

Treasure every moment Mogs.
Food, Felines and Fells (in no particular order)
Seatallan
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » August 14th, 2018, 7:55 pm

Sounds like the perfect happy cat home! :luv:

Mine liked kitten milk in the early stages when I guess they were missing their mum a bit, but soon went off it when they tasted meat. I would have then moved them onto dry food only, but I still had 16 year old Sooty to feed :luv: and he wouldn't touch dry! So the kittens got used to the wet that I put down for him, so they all used to gett both. Oh, and steamed fresh white fish..... :oops: Oh, I miss being run ragged! :lol:
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Meganthemog » August 15th, 2018, 10:15 am

Wednesday update.
Well a visit to the vet this morning was a bit confusing. They now have found a chip ........... his name is Buddy. Vet has tried to contact the owners by telephone - no answer. They will send them a letter and we will have to wait 28 days to see if they want to reclaim him.
I'm sorry that they couldn't find the chip when I took him to the same vets two weeks ago - I wouldn't have bonded with him quite so strongly.
Oh well, maybe they have moved on and forgotten to update their records. He is fast asleep on the sofa :luv:
Meganthemog
Registered

Postby Meganthemog » August 15th, 2018, 11:30 am

And the latest is............ Buddy's other home is about 5 minutes walk away. His owners have seen him occasionally in the past 2 weeks but knew that he was residing elsewhere. His owner is a lovely lady who has suggested that if he so wishes he can have two homes and we'll co-parent him! He is 7 years old. She is popping around later to pick him up as we are going to be away for the night - I think this might be the perfect solution for him.
Meganthemog
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » August 15th, 2018, 12:05 pm

Who is a lucky pussy cat. then :D
When life gives you lemons, make sorbet
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby Seatallan » August 15th, 2018, 12:10 pm

I think he's voted with his paws. Bet he'll be back on your doorstep when you return.
Seatallan
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » August 15th, 2018, 1:07 pm

Two residences, both fully staffed. What more could a cat want?
Je pense, donc je suis. - Decartes
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » August 15th, 2018, 1:38 pm

So sorry Mogs, but how good that the people are so nice. Cheeky puss knows when she's on to a good thing!
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Meganthemog » August 15th, 2018, 1:44 pm

earthmaiden wrote:So sorry Mogs, but how good that the people are so nice. Cheeky puss knows when she's on to a good thing!

So true - except it's he now not she!! Typical bloke - knows which side his bread is buttered :lol: :lol:
Meganthemog
Registered

Postby Meganthemog » August 15th, 2018, 1:45 pm

Seatallan wrote:I think he's voted with his paws. Bet he'll be back on your doorstep when you return.

I suspect you're right - now that we have a cat flap he'll have his own key! :lol:
Meganthemog
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » August 15th, 2018, 9:13 pm

Buddy's definitely got his paws well and truly under your dining table! :lol: You wait. He'll be bringing his mates round for tea soon!
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby StokeySue » August 15th, 2018, 9:57 pm

Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Catherine » August 16th, 2018, 9:02 am

he's probably 'fostered' several home in the area. if the menu doesn't appeal at his principal residence, he will take a look at what on offer at his other humans houses. Moggies aren't stupid
Catherine
Registered

Postby Grasshopper » August 16th, 2018, 8:46 pm

Meganthemog wrote: I thought all cats drank milk!

Milk is far from ideal for cats. Ours may get some as a treat, but many cats are lactose intolerant - therefore water is better (and more natural).

What are you calling her? We need a name ;)

:bounce:
Grasshopper
Spring ventures forth to plant the grain
And Summer dries the straw
Autumn gathers in the harvest
And Winter shuts the door

Grasshopper
Registered

Postby Grasshopper » August 16th, 2018, 8:50 pm

Have just been catching up. So, it turns out that she is a he, he has a name AND a home! What a cheeky boy he is! He is very handsome though!
:luv:
Grasshopper

Grasshopper
Registered

Postby Meganthemog » August 17th, 2018, 1:06 pm

TeresaFoodie wrote:Buddy's definitely got his paws well and truly under your dining table! :lol: You wait. He'll be bringing his mates round for tea soon!

Not his friends Tessa - but this morning the cat flap went and I found myself face to face with a great big black cat! I screamed :terrified: and he legged it :lol:
Meganthemog
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » August 17th, 2018, 1:13 pm

Get a water pistol Mogs.
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » August 17th, 2018, 10:23 pm

That's the only problem with cat flaps. I agree that a water pistol should do it. Was the black cat after Buddy's food? My sister had the same with her five cats so she leaves their food outside under a covered porch to save intruders coming into the house. Not an ideal solution unless you can really cater for it though!

I'm now imagining a feline gazebo, mini conifers, hammocks :lol:
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Meganthemog » September 6th, 2018, 11:41 am

I have had to take Buddy to the vet. I came home this morning after running a short errand to find him lying on the front lawn - when he tried to get up his leg was tucked under him and he was bleeding from a deep wound. I have taken him to the vet who is going to x ray him to see if he's got any broken bones and then he'll be stitched up under GA. My poor little Buddy.
Vet said he couldn't tell if it was a car injury or another cat - but the wound is down to the bone.
I hate to see him in so much pain. The little darling was as good as gold with the vet and has hardly cried at all.
I have been warned that the bill may be as high as £500.
I have to ring up at 2.30 for a progress report.
Meganthemog
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » September 6th, 2018, 11:46 am

Oh no, that's very sad news. I hope that the findings are the least nasty. Poor Buddy.
Will the 'other' owner share the bill or has Buddy moved in with you now? The other lady might have insurance.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby Oat » September 6th, 2018, 11:51 am

Poor Buddy, hope he soon recovers.
Oat
Registered

Postby StokeySue » September 6th, 2018, 1:07 pm

Oh, poor Buddy! :hug:

And sympathy for your bank balance too
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Seatallan » September 6th, 2018, 1:40 pm

Healing vibes heading his way from us :hug: :hug: :hug:
Seatallan
Registered

Postby Meganthemog » September 6th, 2018, 2:37 pm

Awaiting a call from the vet. I don't know if she has insurance but I have asked the question! TBH I am just glad that I came home when I did and wasn't out for the day.
Buddy spends most of his time with us especially as Archie has now moved in - he really does love children.
I will be making sure that he doesn't get out for some time now - litter tray is now inside and cat flap locked. He will have to convalesce for some time I guess.
Bang goes that pair of designer shoes I had my eye on :lol:
Meganthemog
Registered

Postby Chinchilla_lady » September 6th, 2018, 2:45 pm

Fingers crossed Megan :hug: :hug: :hug:

Addicted to White Cats
Chinchilla_lady
Registered

Postby Meganthemog » September 6th, 2018, 3:44 pm

The vet has just called. It is a cat attack and a very savage one - right down to the bone in places. I know which cat it is - he has been coming into the house to steal Buddy's food.
So the question is - how do I stop this happening again. Buddy is a very timid cat where other cats are concerned.
This cat is definitely the dominant male in the area and has taken exception to Buddy.
Any advice would be appreciated as this could be very traumatic and expensive in the future!
Meganthemog
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » September 6th, 2018, 4:20 pm

Sorry to hear that Buddy got hurt, I would have a water pistol handy in case the culprit appears again.

I hear that my 3 are eating well while we are away. The boys have been seen but Mrs Gridge has not been seen but is eating from her pot (she pulls it out with her paw, the boys don't touch it). She has remained elusive but she cannot escape.
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby Meganthemog » September 6th, 2018, 4:22 pm

Zosherooney wrote:Sorry to hear that Buddy got hurt, I would have a water pistol handy in case the culprit appears again.

I hear that my 3 are eating well while we are away. The boys have been seen but Mrs Gridge has not been seen but is eating from her pot (she pulls it out with her paw, the boys don't touch it). She has remained elusive but she cannot escape.

At the moment an AK47 would be my weapon of choice! :lol: :lol:
Meganthemog
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » September 6th, 2018, 5:38 pm

Sorry to hear about Buddy. Sounds nasty! I am guessing the culprit is not neutered? If so then shame on the owner. Does the vet expect a full recovery? Poor little man. Huge cuddles to Buddy from me. :hug:
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby suffolk » September 6th, 2018, 5:40 pm

What a horrid thing to have happened :hug: :hug: :hug:

Could you get one of those cat flaps that will only let Buddy in, so that at least he has somewhere he can take sanctuary?
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby miss mouse » September 6th, 2018, 7:44 pm

Meganthemog wrote:how do I stop this happening again. Buddy is a very timid cat where other cats are concerned.
This cat is definitely the dominant male in the area and has taken exception to Buddy.

I don't know apart from a direct attack with eg a water pistol. My now ex-cats (old age, natural ends) were terrorised by the influx of some mean and big pedigree style cats a problem I never solved. I think the aggressive ones come looking for trouble.
miss mouse
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » September 6th, 2018, 9:22 pm

Zosherooney wrote:Sorry to hear that Buddy got hurt, I would have a water pistol handy in case the culprit appears again.

Our cat feeders never see our cats when we are away (the cats are shut in these days under such circumstances.) They occasionally see Lily sitting on the window sill as they leave the house.) It's not great as they can't check to see if they are ok or not.

Our previous cat was terrorized by a long haired white feral beast, two houses ago :( It's difficult as while I want to protect my cats, I would never hurt another one.

We had this brute coming in for ages.

29332788634_ae37013dd3_z.jpg

He didn't bully my two, although Basil has been known to fight him. (Last time they were on the 8 ft high wall between mine and my neighbours' properties. It's inbetween two lean-tos - ours and theirs with a few inches gap either side. Both cats fell off it down the neighbours' side. Neighbours were away. I had a horrible 15 minutes wondering what the hell had happened to Basil and what Iwould do if he didn't reappear.)

The beast disappeared for six months and I thought he'd died, but then he reappeared, but (touch wood) doesn't seem to be coming in and eating their food or spraying all over the place as he once was. It used to be awful and a bit depressing coming home to a house stinking of cat pee. Not sure why he hasn't resumed this. All that's changed is that the cats are shut in at night and there is a litter box in the lean to - about ten feet from the cat flap.

I hope Buddy gets better soon, poor lamb.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Seatallan » September 7th, 2018, 12:20 pm

suffolk wrote:Could you get one of those cat flaps that will only let Buddy in, so that at least he has somewhere he can take sanctuary?

Seconded. My advice is to get a flap that works on Buddy's chip. At least it'll put off any breaking & entering from other cats.

Sounds to me like the cat in question is an unneutered stray, in which case he's likely to be very territorial and agressive as well as bold through hunger. Our previous cat (Monty Munchkin) was exactly like that before local cat rescue took him in (and was creating havoc in the local area by all accounts). Once he was rescued and neutered and came to live with us he turned into the dearest little soul ever. Is there a cat rescue in your neck of the woods you can contact?
Seatallan
Registered

Postby suffolk » September 7th, 2018, 12:26 pm

Seatallan wrote:Our previous cat (Monty Munchkin) was exactly like that before local cat rescue took him in (and was creating havoc in the local area by all accounts). Once he was rescued and neutered and came to live with us he turned into the dearest little soul ever. Is there a cat rescue in your neck of the woods you can contact?

DD had a cat like that living in her garden shed ... he was a real fighter. One day she found him very ill with an infected and swollen face due to a fight ... she was able to catch him and take him to the vet ... to cut a long story short, after several such incidents the vet agreed to neuter him ... he then became a charming chap and now lives with DD and SIL and their other cat Harrie. :D
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » September 7th, 2018, 12:34 pm

Poor Buddy Jules and I wish him a speedy recovery. You could get him a personalised cat flap which either works using a magnet attached to a collar or the other sort which works via his chip if he has one. It has solved the problem for Jules.

There is an evil ginger cat who terrorises the other cats in this neighbourhood. He is aggresive and a thief and it was he who damaged Jules a while ago. His owners have been told that if he comes near our house he will get a bucket of water thrown at him and several people have told them to get him sterilised but so far that hasn't happened. about a week ago Mr R scored a direct hit with the bucket. His people couldn't possibly have missed the result. Trouble is a fear the cat and it's owners are equally dense!
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby Meganthemog » September 7th, 2018, 1:16 pm

Thanks for all your suggestions and support. The black cat in question wears a collar so is obviously owned. I assume he hasn't been castrated as he is so aggressive -if I get hold of him I will happily take his b*llocks off :lol: :lol:
Buddy is doing well - dosed him up with Metacam and he slept for 12 hours. He can now negotiate the stairs with a little care rather than zooming up and down like lightening.
He's using his litter tray and isn't looking to go out yet - just as well as I'm not letting him out of my sight.
I will pick up a water pistol and keep it by the front door in readiness for the black cat. I haven't seen him since the attack so can only hope that his injuries are greater than Buddy's :lol: :lol:
Meganthemog
Registered

Postby suffolk » September 7th, 2018, 1:18 pm

Get one of the heavy duty pump action water canons :twisted:
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » September 7th, 2018, 2:36 pm

Tempting as it might be, you really can't go round neutering other people's cats.

Those chip-operated cat flaps won't work for my two and yes I have had the chips checked. Expensive waste of money in my case. Plus I have had the whole cat flap ripped off the door twice now anyway. Probably in the process of attempted cat fights through the locked flap.
Or on one occasion Basil just desperate to get out when we'd locked the cats in for a holiday. (I now lock and block the flaps with a heavy object when I don't want the cats to go out.)

The magnet ones we tried with last cat, but one day she turned up with a jagged can lid attached to it. No thanks.

I am lucky though that none of my cats have so far had a serious injury from another animal.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Seatallan » September 7th, 2018, 3:01 pm

Meganthemog wrote:I haven't seen him since the attack so can only hope that his injuries are greater than Buddy's :lol: :lol:

Well, it's quite possible. Current cat is a bit of a girly in many respects but he can't half go for it if his gander is up. I've had to bodily haul him off another cat before now.
Seatallan
Registered

Postby suffolk » September 7th, 2018, 3:49 pm

I should explain that the cat which adopted DD was definitely a stray ... in her shed most of the time for three years, not chipped and she paid for several courses of treatment for wounds and injuries ... she put notices up and vets and the local pet charities checked reports of lost cats ... no matches were found. In the end the vet suggested that it was in the cat’s best interest to be inoculated, wormed neutered and cared for properly in a loving home and that’s what happened. I cut a long story short as this thread is about Megan’s cat not my DDs, but I hope no one would think my daughter or I would advocate neutering a cat that was very obviously being cared for by someone else.
DD was on minimum wage and already paying insurance for one cat. Once she took responsibility for him and had him chipped etc she could put him on the plan too which saved her quite a bit of money. The first time she took him to the vet a charity paid for part of the bill but would not pay for repeated treatments as they said if the same person was repeatedly taking him to the vet then he wasn’t a stray.
― Virginia Woolf
suffolk
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » September 7th, 2018, 4:19 pm

Glad to hear Buddy is on the mend. :grin: :tu:
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Bubbles » September 7th, 2018, 5:10 pm

Herbidacious wrote:Tempting as it might be, you really can't go round neutering other people's cats.

Those chip-operated cat flaps won't work for my two and yes I have had the chips checked. Expensive waste of money in my case. Plus I have had the whole cat flap ripped off the door twice now anyway. Probably in the process of attempted cat fights through the locked flap.
Or on one occasion Basil just desperate to get out when we'd locked the cats in for a holiday. (I now lock and block the flaps with a heavy object when I don't want the cats to go out.)

The magnet ones we tried with last cat, but one day she turned up with a jagged can lid attached to it. No thanks.

I am lucky though that none of my cats have so far had a serious injury from another animal.

That's interesting, my 2 and at one time 3 have been successfully using their catflap for several years with no issues, apart from when the batteries need replacing. With 3 cats next door, it has to be a chip driven one!
Bubbles
Registered

Postby miss mouse » September 7th, 2018, 5:31 pm

suffolk wrote:Get one of the heavy duty pump action water canons

Good advice, powered by batteries I believe.
miss mouse
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » September 9th, 2018, 6:30 pm

Maybe I should have another go, Bubbles. But it's a bit of an ar*e having to install the thing, then discover it's not working, and so have to reinstall and install another one.

If we start getting intruders again, I shall consider it. I still have the one I bought. But how to I determine if it's faulty or not?

Ironically, the cat I thought I would have trouble getting to go through it to program it was fine.

I hope hurting the miscreant cat is not on the agenda btw.
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Bubbles » September 9th, 2018, 7:31 pm

Well, my OH is great at DIY so it will stay put! I don't know how long you've had yours Herb but I seem to remember they have a very long guarantee so maybe you could get a replacement? Horrible to think of your cat with the jagged tin lid, and glad no harm has come to puss. Agree, no cat should be harmed but water could be a good deterrent to marauding moggie X.
Bubbles
Registered

Postby Herbidacious » September 9th, 2018, 9:56 pm

No idea where the receipt is, Bubbles. I bought it in the last five years. I don't have the box. I don't think taking it back is an option even assuming I could remember where I bought it and could prove that it doesn't work.

My OH isn't around much so it's down to me to sort this out. It's made trickier by the fact that the previous owners did a real botch job. The hole is cat head shaped (a coincidence I assume). At some point we will get a new back door but until then, it's a frustrating job replacing cat flaps. (I had to do it at least twice now in the last 3-4 years, due to cats breaking them.)
Herbidacious
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » September 10th, 2018, 8:50 am

Our tame carpenters made a new balcony door with a cat flap' provided by us, incorporated therein. It has been perfect and the door in wonderful. Mr R reaches the stage, years ago, that it was very much easier and cheaper in the long run, to employ an expert .
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby Grasshopper » September 10th, 2018, 8:49 pm

Hmm - deffo sounds like Buddy's attacker is entire. He should really be neutered before he does any more damage.

:hug:
Grasshopper

Grasshopper
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » September 11th, 2018, 6:11 am

Herb, Wuzzle is a big cat and his main aim in life was to destroy or undo locked cat flaps. We have now solved the problem by using the smallest dog flap you an get. It is so much sturdier and once they had got used to the 'bendy' flap/door they are fine with it. The only downside is..... it is either open or locked by a slidey down door with a metal lock. He has only got out twice and that was because of human error. When we are away a bucket of water is positioned in front of the locked flap it deters him from 'fiddling' with the flap.
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby Seatallan » September 11th, 2018, 8:55 am

Zosherooney wrote:Wuzzle is a big cat and his main aim in life was to destroy or undo locked cat flaps.

Our Ollie is the same. When he came to live with us (and had to be kept in for time to get used to his new surroundings) I had to cover the cat flap with two layers of thick cardboard and duck tape and even then he very nearly broke through. Prior to that, he'd even managed to move Mr S's (heavy) tool chest, which we'd put in front of the cat flap to block it.
Seatallan
Registered

PreviousNext

Return to The Coffee Shop