Water;energy;cost saving.... your tips

Order yourself a latte, and a pastry (The virtual cinnamon buns are excellent today). And have a nice chat.

Water;energy;cost saving.... your tips

Postby PatsyMFagan » August 8th, 2018, 6:27 pm

Over the last couple of weeks, I have 'had a man in' to do some jobs round the house. What has made me start this thread is that everyday I have left him home alone, I have come home to an almost full kettle of water which he would have filled and boiled to make his one cup of tea or coffee. For some time now I only boil enough water (filling my mug from the tap) to make my tea … this not only saves on the electric needed to bring to the boil, but also in the light of our weather lately, it also saves wasting water ……

So I wondered what others on this board do to save water, energy and cost.

I also :

NEVER clean my teeth while keeping the tap running - the years of living on a narrowboat taught me that water was precious, so I just filled a beaker with water and rinsed my toothbrush in that. I also NEVER wet my toothbrush under the tap BEFORE applying toothpaste .. this just dilutes it. I brush my teeth without any water at all, spit and just rinse my brush.

Don't flush the toilet everytime I use it. Using the criteria 'If it's brown, flush it down, if it's yellow, let it mellow' I never have to worry about the first part of that saying due to my re-plumbed digestion system :tu:

Have switched off the clock on my cooker .... I have a digital DAB radio close by and another clock in the conservatory that runs on rechargeable batteriers.

Don't use maker up remover wipes, or indeed any other kind of wipes. (all these have to go to land fill) I use hot water and a flannel. If I have used eye make up, then a cotton pad with some remover does the trick.

Don't use spray polish .... a damp cloth does the trick for removing dust/cleaning on most of the surfaces in my house.

Don't fill the car right up with fuel, usually only half ... the extra weight uses more fuel. Easy accelerating and braking improves performance too as well as saving on wear and tear.

Perhaps you might like to add your favourite ways of saving water/energy/cost and indeed the planet ....................I would certainly welcome tips I had never thought of.
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Re: Water;energy;cost saving.... your tips

Postby KC2 » August 8th, 2018, 7:23 pm

I had not thought about it before but since the lack of rain I've been using the cold water before it runs hot in the kitchen sink to water the plants ... shockingly it seems to take almost 3 ltrs of water before it's remotely hot enough to do anything oily like a salad bowl ... fortunately the pots in the garden are extremely close to the kitchen sink so it's no hassle to tip out the water into the watering can or give it directly to the plants. I also use the water in the salad spinner now - I'm somewhat embarrassed that I never thought about it before but this heat wave has been a bit of an eye opener (and not very comfortable either!)

Of course once normal weather returns the plants probably won't need it any more so then the question is then what to do with it ... w ande have a tiny London garden and no space for water butts or such like.

Edited to add that I'm also incredibly careful only ever to boil the amount of water we need - I always make sure I get a kettle that is see-through has cups marked on it.
KC2
Registered

Postby Busybee » August 8th, 2018, 7:58 pm

I am constantly turning lights off. My DS, a member of the snowflake generation, who supposedly have had green credentials drummed into them is far worse than me about recycling and reducing waste.

We collect rainwater off the garage and summerhouse to water the garden. I also keep chilled water in the fridge, negating the need to run the tap till it goes cold.

BB
Busybee
Registered

Postby Luca » August 8th, 2018, 8:04 pm

What an excellent post idea Patsy. I haven't been around much due to work, health and family issues but will follow with interest and contribute in due course, especially as I've just booked some time off at last. Between going away I'll be catching up on home improvements to be done/arranged and will no doubt have to wait for people to arrive and be able to catch up more here.
You do rinse the toothpaste from your mouth I hope?

I certainly agree with you and KC (Hi!) re the boiling of kettles and some others. I'm actively complaining to manufacturers if I think they can up their game in all matters to try and preserve the world more than we appear to be achieving. Grumpy women moi? We all need to speak up more, and due to modern technology it can be done correctly,relatively easily, if the official routes/recommended avenues are explored.
Luca
Global Moderator

Postby Bubbles » August 8th, 2018, 8:07 pm

KC2 wrote:I had not thought about it before but since the lack of rain I've been using the cold water before it runs hot in the kitchen sink to water the plants ... shockingly it seems to take almost 3 ltrs of water before it's remotely hot enough to do anything oily like a salad bowl ... fortunately the pots in the garden are extremely close to the kitchen sink so it's no hassle to tip out the water into the watering can or give it directly to the plants. I also use the water in the salad spinner now - I'm somewhat embarrassed that I never thought about it before but this heat wave has been a bit of an eye opener (and not very comfortable either!
This is weird, it's exactly what I do. Our hot water takes ages to get hot - a whole watering can! I also empty any water left in the kettle overnight into a plant pot. Pat, I have to have more water in the kettle than needed as there is always a layer of chalky stuff in the bottom, yuk!

Of course once normal weather returns the plants probably won't need it any more so then the question is then what to do with it ... w ande have a tiny London garden and no space for water butts or such like.

Edited to add that I'm also incredibly careful only ever to boil the amount of water we need - I always make sure I get a kettle that is see-through has cups marked on it.
Bubbles
Registered

Postby Grasshopper » August 8th, 2018, 8:27 pm

Ordinary nappy bags are considerably cheaper, and come in larger quantities than special 'pad bags' for that certain time each month that we ladies have to endure.
Sweeteners are far better than sugar. They are far lighter in weight, a lot cheaper, more convenient AND calorie free!
Don't throw away wasted cat food - put it out for the birds. They will appreciate it.
When home alone (apart from the mogs), on a Saturday night, I never have the big light on in the lounge. I use either a wall light or a lamp.
When not in use, my laptop is switched off at the plug.
Don't go to a supermarket for cereal bars. Poundland, Home Bargains & B & M are considerably cheaper - for the SAME products!

:bounce:
Grasshopper
Spring ventures forth to plant the grain
And Summer dries the straw
Autumn gathers in the harvest
And Winter shuts the door

Grasshopper
Registered

Postby KC2 » August 8th, 2018, 8:30 pm

Luca wrote:What an excellent post idea Patsy. I haven't been around much due to work, health and family issues but will follow with interest and contribute in due course, especially as I've just booked some time off at last. Between going away I'll be catching up on home improvements to be done/arranged and will no doubt have to wait for people to arrive and be able to catch up more here.
You do rinse the toothpaste from your mouth I hope?

I certainly agree with you and KC (Hi!) re the boiling of kettles and some others. I'm actively complaining to manufacturers if I think they can up their game in all matters to try and preserve the world more than we appear to be achieving. Grumpy women moi? We all need to speak up more, and due to modern technology it can be done correctly,relatively easily, if the official routes/recommended avenues are explored.

Hi Luca - look forward to seeing more of you when you get that time off!! :hug: :hug:
KC2
Registered

Postby Zosherooney » August 8th, 2018, 8:34 pm

How long have you got........ I'm a blue meanie....... according to Mr. Z....... I call it economical !
Zosherooney
Registered

Postby StokeySue » August 8th, 2018, 9:47 pm

I am gradually replacing all my light bulbs with LED bulbs - yes they are expensive but getting cheaper. When the spotlights in the kitchen and hall were put in, they used 9 x 50 watt halogen bulbs. That’s 450 Watts. The light was OK, but the heat on top of my head was unbearable. Now I have 9 x 10 watt LED bulbs (GU10). So only 10% of the electricity’, no heat, better light quality and they even look nicer. They also last much longer than other kinds.

I have dimmable LED bulbs in the living room, also wonderful for my dodgy eyesight (I can get it from candlight to near daylight). Just be warned that you need a special dimmer (not expensive)

My boiler (a combi) has an economy setting, and I’m not sure if it helps When on standard, it periodically fires up and heats the heat exchanger, so the water runs hot more quickly. Haven’t done the arithmetic. On eco it only ignites when you turn on the tap, so the kitchen stays cooler, which is a bonus. Definitely on econat the moment.

On boilers - when the central heating is back, all those lists of tips tell you to drop the temperature a degree or so Well, there is only so many times you can do that. But you can change the timer as often as you like - if you start getting up later or leaving the house earlier then you can tweak the timer. Even more so if you have Hive or the Google thing. You can have more comfort for the same or fewer hours of heating when you get into the habit.
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » August 8th, 2018, 10:31 pm

Loving this thread already. Great idea. :tu:

I only flush my toilet after three wees. I boil a small amount of water for one cuppa. I boil a full kettle to wash up. I do not use my immersion heater as I have an electric shower. If I have any water left in my drinking water bottle that I take to bed next morning I use that to water my plants. Washing machine is always set to economy wash and I only have it on when it is over half full and I use the timer to come on during the night as I think that's cheaper?? I only have a light on in the room I am in other than when watching TV, but that's more because I prefer to watch the TV in the dark. I have a long strand of fairy lights in my kitchen and buy batteries for those and they light the room up well enough to not have to have the light on.

I think there are certain things you can do to save on waste and also cleaning products and bin bags. We don't have recycling from our door here, but we do have recycling banks in town. Recycling tends to be lightweight, so I take my cards, tins and plastics there in my shopping trolley on my walks. Good for the planet, good for my bin bag costs. And I don't throw food out generally, and hate putting food waste in the bin. So if i have an apple core or fruit peel it goes on the garden.

For general cost cutting, especially food, I've worked where the best RTC bargains are put out and at what time. For example, if I hit our Co-op at 6pm I might get a loaf half price, say 50p. If I go back at 8pm and it's still there, 10p.

Keeping a freezer full is supposed to good I believe, even if it is scrunched up newspaper? I use 10p loaves! :tu:
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby StokeySue » August 8th, 2018, 10:49 pm

Night time electricity is only cheaper if you have the special arrangement (and meter) for Economy 7 or whatever they call it now. Usually installed to charge up storage heaters
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » August 8th, 2018, 10:57 pm

Yeah, I did wonder if that applied to me or not Sue. I do it anyway as it is sometimes handy to be able to wake up to a load of washing to hang out before you start your day. Plus it smells nice while get a cup of breakfast tea on the go.

By the way, i am with British Gas for both electricity and gas and saw today they have hoiked their prices up again. I'll be first in the queue to renegotiate when I can. Also, my water company (Affinity teamed with Anglia Water) seem expensive. How do others renegotiate utility suppliers? I've never bothered in the past.
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby Kitewatcher » August 8th, 2018, 11:30 pm

Most domestic fires start in white goods so running the washing machine at night isn't such a good idea. Good money-saving ruse, but not recommended by the Fire Brigade.
Kitewatcher
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » August 8th, 2018, 11:58 pm

I am not sure that is true Kite, as long as you are using trustworthy and regularly serviced and within warranty appliances. Problems and tragedies occur mainly if you are careless with any form of fire, if you do not have the necessary smoke and carbon monoxide detectors, if you leave your cooking unattended, if you do not plan an escape route if there is a fire, cigarette smoking, candles, putting a toaster for example underneath an overhead kitchen cupboard. Now in some walks of life it seems that arson keeps cropping up. Another young child in London lost his life due to suspected gang crime this week. I am not sure we need to worry too much about putting our laundry on overnight.
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby StokeySue » August 9th, 2018, 7:50 am

According to the London Fire Service, most fatal fires are still caused by smoking

Most electrical fires are caused by white goods
They don’t suggest that using a timer is a problem though they do mention something I wouldn’t have thought of, which is registering new appliances so you get any safety recalls

https://www.london-fire.gov.uk/safety/the-home/electrical-items/whitegoods/

Teresa, are you actually allowed to run a washing machine over night? Often discouraged in flats as the spin cycle can sound louder in neighbouring flats than in the kitchen where it is.
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby cyprusmoira » August 9th, 2018, 8:19 am

We are very of sparing of water, you learn this when the village spring is running low

Moira
When life gives you lemons, make sorbet
cyprusmoira
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » August 9th, 2018, 8:28 am

I think that tumble driers are the biggest fire hazard but as Sue says, to be registered for safety recalls for anything is a very good thing (assuming you had the item from new). There was a dryer make known for catching fire a short while after the cycle had stopped - which is not a time you would necessarily think of. My electrician insisted I put a smoke alarm in the lobby where mine is situated and I never leave it on or turn it off just before going to bed or going out.

Obviously, running a tumble dryer is not friendly to the environment or the purse but is a luxury I waited half a lifetime for and love having the facility to use sparingly. A small plus point is that it does heat the surrounding area so use can be planned in around a time when that might be beneficial.

I am of a similar generation to many of you born not too long after the war where being careful with energy use, food waste, in fact waste of any kind was normal in most households. I still use the plain paper from junk mail for shopping lists and that kind of thing because it was how I was brought up. If I throw away a small piece of cotton from the end of a needle can feel my grandmother looking at me. As for energy, living in one or two rooms during the coldest months, hanging washing across the room which has been warm during the evening when you go to bed should result in dry washing in the morning, my dad used to put his underclothes for the next day between the layers of bedding on the bed so they were warm to put on in the morning. Never put the oven on to cook just one thing .....

Tezza, if your water seems expensive, look into what your charges are being based on. PM me if you want to.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » August 9th, 2018, 9:08 am

I've not been told not to do laundry overnight, but I would have to check that on my tenancy agreement. Wouldn't want to break a rule!

EM - I'll take you up on that offer. I'll pop the details over later. :tu:
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby StokeySue » August 9th, 2018, 9:10 am

I have a water meter and I know I use just slightly less than the average amount of water per capita, which is pretty good going in a one person household. I can’t stand soaking in a bath which helps! I do have a dishwasher and of course I water my roof terrace, so heaven knows what some people do with water

The one thing I won’t stint myself on Is I want something baked I put the oven on. I will cook something else at the same time, if I can. But if I can’t then, well I didn’t spend £700 on a stove to have it standing idle for the sake of 50 pennorth of electricity - I would still need to cook something on the hob anyway. A 2 kw oven costs about 37 p an hour to run, seems a reasonable spend for several £s of food
Last edited by StokeySue on August 9th, 2018, 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » August 9th, 2018, 9:16 am

Luca wrote:You do rinse the toothpaste from your mouth I hope?

No …. why ? I presume it continues to do it's job and freshens my mouth, but if anyone knows differently then I will change my routine ;)
No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » August 9th, 2018, 9:19 am

Grasshopper wrote:Sweeteners are far better than sugar. They are far lighter in weight, a lot cheaper, more convenient AND calorie free!

I would debate that ... and besides without exception they taste awful and can't be used in baking (the only sugar I consume)
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby KC2 » August 9th, 2018, 9:19 am

StokeySue wrote: A 2 kw oven costs about 37 p an hour to run, seems a reasonable spend for several £s of food

That's helpful, Sue, I've often wondered! It makes me feel a lot happier using the oven for a pizza or a quiche.

Normal weather resumed today - tons of rain overnight and looks like it's set in for today! Talk about a break in the weather! Some 10 degrees cooler than yesterday and more from a few days ago.

So I won't need to use my water for the pots ...
KC2
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » August 9th, 2018, 9:24 am

TeresaFoodie wrote:Washing machine is always set to economy wash and I only have it on when it is over half full and I use the timer to come on during the night as I think that's cheaper??

Only if you have the correct meter - it splits between daytime and night time use.…. I suspect you don't. IIRC, the daytime rate is slightly higher, but the night time rate (originally for overnight storage heaters I believe) is considerably cheaper.

And I see that Sue has already responded ... ;) :tu:
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » August 9th, 2018, 9:34 am

Zosherooney wrote:How long have you got........ I'm a blue meanie....... according to Mr. Z....... I call it economical !

I think your cost saving is legendary Zosh …. However, OK if you have the time and energy to source second hand or cheaper stuff... I tried to get Government sponsored solar panels, but it appears my roof faces the wrong way (however I could purchase them myself); I also applied for the over 60's grant for insulation, but apparently not enough of my walls could be insulated (as I have a side porch), so didn't qualify - so had to pay for that myself ! :o Also applied for a water meter, but seems that my supply is shared with the neighbours next door .. 3 of them living there, one of whom cleans his car at least once a week and even last night was watering his lawns. I do get a single person discount though.

I am looking at installing another water butt outside my front door to divert and store water from my bath/shower, and both upstairs sinks.. won't look very nice, but that's where my waster water drains away ! :rolleyes:
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » August 9th, 2018, 9:44 am

No …. why ? I presume it continues to do it's job and freshens my mouth, but if anyone knows differently then I will change my routine ;)

I find that rather like applying soap to filthy hands but not rinsing the dirt and soap off afterwards. How do you remove the particles of debris which have been removed by brushing if you don't rinse? Personally I think toothpaste works better on a wet toothbrush as well. We are talking about half a beaker of water here which I don't think is too shocking.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » August 9th, 2018, 10:14 am

I was talking to my mum about water usage in my wet room as opposed to my non metered bathroom in the house that I last lived in. The shower attachment over the bath was quite pathetic and only good for one thing - cleaning the cat litter tray and the bath. So, i would generally have a bath every day, sometimes of a weekend having the water heater on and draining a bit away and refilling the bath if I was comfortable and stuck in a good book! How wasteful was I? That would make me cringe now so I am glad that a bath is not my only option now!
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby StokeySue » August 9th, 2018, 10:37 am

NHS advice is not to rinse teeth after brushing, this was new a few years back

https://www.nhs.uk/live-well/healthy-body/how-to-keep-your-teeth-clean/

I also heard recently that routine use of antiseptic mouthwash might be a bad idea as it kills off the friendly bacteria.
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » August 9th, 2018, 10:45 am

Interesting. I understand about the fluoride but still think it feels nice to have a good rinse to remove unwanted debris.

Some things are plain inconvenient. If you use Cordysyl mouthwash (often recommended by dentists fir shoft term use if there is a problem) you are not supposed to use it for 15-30 minutes after brushing with toothpaste. Not very practical for those dashing out to work in the morning or waiting to go to sleep!
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby KC2 » August 9th, 2018, 4:42 pm

Well, given the way it's been tipping down for quite a lot of today - thank goodness! - definitely no call for using salad spinner water etc ...

Hopefully the car will get a clean, as will the glass roof of the kitchen/conservatory!

Re toothpaste, I definitely rinse my mouth after cleaning my teeth, had no idea it was better not to. I agree with EM that it feels good to remove the debris.
KC2
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » August 9th, 2018, 7:23 pm

I do spit, but not rinse ;) :lol:
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby Busybee » August 9th, 2018, 7:29 pm

It’s an interesting point you make Pat about not filling your cars fuel tank. It’s something I hadn’t considered.

We automatically always fill up to the limit every time we fill up. Probably because we are 15 miles from the nearest fuel station - so we try to keep the car fairly full as it’s a 30 mile round trip to refuel and a waste of fuel if we don’t need anything else in town.

I filled up the Land Rover today it cost £77! More than I spent on the weekly shop. I don’t think I have noticed that before.

BB
Busybee
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » August 9th, 2018, 7:36 pm

I have heard that about not filling the fuel tank before but think it only really works if you do low mileage or you'd be forever running low.

They say that running with air con on is costly too. That's something I'm afraid I wouldn't give up gladly, even in winter.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby PatsyMFagan » August 10th, 2018, 9:02 am

My weekend man thinks that the larger the engines on older cars the more efficient! :?: :? :rolleyes: He currently drives a 2l SLK merc, but is looking for a newer CLK .. he has found one that's only 1.8 l ,but not happy as he says that it will be less fuel efficient ! Nothing to do with the power of roaring away first at traffic lights and along country roads ! :x Perhaps Aero can advise on that one ;) :lol: 8-)
PatsyMFagan
Registered

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » August 10th, 2018, 9:28 am

I am rubbish at things like this! I need to make more of an effort to not waste money/resources needlessly. I'm pretty good at not wasting food - apart from old/unused salad which always gets binned.

We have a water butt which we use and if DD has used her paddling pool we'll use the water on the garden afterwards.

I have a fear of leaving white goods on though - overnight or if we're not in the house. Friends of ours used to put their dishwasher on before they went to bed and one night it started a fire whilst they were all asleep and the whole family were very lucky to get out. Their toddler was hospitalised for a while because of it.

Also on a holiday in the lakes one of the hotel tumble dryers set on fire in the middle of the night and the smoke alarms failed. The concierge had fallen asleep on duty. Luckily another guest woke up and roused everyone in the hotel.

In our last house the fire brigade came out to fit smoke alarms for us (its a service you can request in our area) and one of the things they advised is never to have white goods left on overnight.
OneMoreCheekyOne
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » August 10th, 2018, 9:39 am

So occupied over the last few days I haven't posted here.

Water: We are metered and it is expensive but we also have a well so that is what we use for the garden, the car, the windows etc. French guttering doesn't allow for water butts but we had our roof water directed into the well. Wonder it didn't overflow yesterday.
There is a bath in the house but we never use it.

Fuel: We can choose 1 or 2 periods of up to 6 hours for cheaper electricity so we have 2 over lunch time and 4 during the night. The dishwasher is set to run at night. The clothes washer both depending on what I have to do. Like Sue the oven goes on when I need it but when it is not as hot as it is now I often pop a couple of things or a roast over lunch time.
We have storage heaters in the bedrooms but since we had the woodburner installed we get heat in one half of the house so they are not needed
We replaced our last non LED light bulb only this week. We have bought most of ours when on offer at Lidl
We by the wood for the burner during the summer when it is cheaper and, if we get a gift of some from a neighbour then we make sure it dries out for a year or more so it burns better and is not so poluting.

I think the important thing we had done when we came to live here was roof insulation and double glazing . Because we are in a designated area we had to have the windows in traditional style -ie wood.We are not allowed solar panels but there is talk of an array being installed down by the stream over the exsisting reed beds which are our very eco sewerage system.
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby StokeySue » August 10th, 2018, 1:34 pm

I think most fire services will fit free smoke alarms
Don’t forget that if you have any gas appliances or any enclosed burner, such as a wood burner or solid fuel Aga or Rayburn you need a carbon monoxide detector as well. Sometimes gas rngineers will install one while they are on site, though will often charge for this. Not expensive at Argos, Wilko, Range etc. I have mentioned before that I had carbon monoxide poisoning, and it is not fun

Don’t forget to test the battery when you come back from hols, the audible warning expires in only a few days. Been caught out by this v
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » August 10th, 2018, 1:51 pm

Talking of batteries, we use only rechargable ones, have done for years. Always have frequently used ones topped up and ready to go. We buy replacements when they are on offer every couple of years but still have some which are9 or 10 years old. They really do save money?

Our woodburner has to be swept and check every year and we have to have a certificate to show it has been done which can be asked for by the fire service
Cooking for those you care about is the most profound expression of love - Anne-Sophie Pic
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby Amber » August 10th, 2018, 8:35 pm

We have several Philips/Ikea lightfittings with permanent (!) bulbs. It will be interesting to see how well they last.
Amber
Registered

Postby Ratatouille » August 11th, 2018, 9:56 am

To get back to loo flushing. Our loos, like most here, have two flush buttons. small and large known in this family as No1 and No2 buttons - nuff said :lol: :lol:
Ratatouille
Registered

Postby StokeySue » August 11th, 2018, 10:07 am

Most UK loos have two buttons now, the only problem with mine is because it is enclosed in the built in unit the cistern is small, and even the #2 flush is a bit underpowered, so you have to use it twice sometimes, not economical at all
Sue
StokeySue
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » August 29th, 2018, 11:56 am

I thought I would share an experience I had yesterday.

During the course of a phone call to British Gas, part of the recorded hold message alerted me that I could be entitled to a low income award. I think it's called Warm Home or something. I took down the number, called them to be told the wait time could be 25 minutes. So I sat there on hold until a lady answered told me I would need to apply online! Grr! At the end of the call she asked me if there was anything else she could do for me. I said yes, tell your powers that be to change the hold message so that people aren't left on hold for ages thinking that they need to apply over the phone!

Anyway, moan over! I applied online and it has been confirmed that I am entitled to a Warm Home payment on my account. I should receive this by..............31st March 2019! :rolleyes:

Every little helps! :lol:
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby KC2 » August 29th, 2018, 8:37 pm

Better late than never, Tezza :lol:
KC2
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » September 4th, 2018, 10:37 am

Going back to water. :rolleyes:

I have just received a revised bill with reduced sewerage charges. It wasn't worth a reduction on clean water as there is a cap on that and I am using well under that cap anyway. My original bill for 21/3 to 19/7 came in at a whopping £98. I queried this as it seemed stupidly high, we did some fortnightly reads to work out actual usage and I was told that calculating that back to when I moved in, £98 was correct!!?? So after much to-ing and fro-ing, it was agreed I should be on an 80% discount as low income and low usage, the revised bill comes in at £83! They will only back date the discount to my last meter read in August!!!

Well, they can whistle for £83 now! I can only pay what I can! And they seem reasonable about this. But in the meantime, four months water for one person in a one bed flat with no bath and no garden seems ridiculously high, especially as by their own admission I use very little water. I don't think I have ever been in receipt of such a high water bill even when I was living in a three bedroom house with an excessive water user! :lol:

What do others think?
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Postby earthmaiden » September 4th, 2018, 11:16 am

We chatted about this Tezza. I'm glad you got the discount. As the bill is backdated to when you moved in it is more than a quarterly bill and it sounds as though they have been quite helpful so it's probably right. You should be able to pay off in small amounts. Can you access the meter or is it deep down a hole? I expect they would have noticed leakage when they took the readings but it's worth checking that the meter isn't going round when no water is being used.
earthmaiden
Registered

Postby TeresaFoodie » September 4th, 2018, 6:24 pm

You were very helpful previously EM. :tu: I thought on the over all cost thing I would throw the query out further. :grin:

My meter is actually just behind the toilet, very accessible! Since getting my Smart energy meter and locating my water meter I have become meter obsessed! The water one is moving veeeeeery slowly so I would doubt a leak. They have agreed a small monthly payment plan but JSA is really only just about covering my bills. Luckily my mum and my dad often helps me out with food, toiletries etc or I'd be bu**erred!
I either win, or I learn
TeresaFoodie
Registered

Return to The Coffee Shop